A New Start

An Unexpected Romance

Head down, I weave through the mass of people, avoiding everyone's eyes, knowing that most were staring at me as though I was an exotic creature. Which I was, in a way. I was from the states, Connecticut, to be exact. It probably wasn't everyday someone from the states transferred to their school. My next class was in room 302, all the way a long corridor, leaving me to be subject to more stares. If stares burned, I swear my back would've already singed off. 

Just as I'm nearing my classroom, someone bumps into my, and all of my books tumble to the floor. Just my luck, I think.

"I'm so so sorry." A voice says, presumably belonging to the person who'd bumped into me. A boy, just a bit older than me bends down to help me pick up my books. He was fairly attractive, warm eyes and soft looking lips. I lower my gaze to the floor again, ashamed and embarrased. 

"No, I should be apologizing. I should've been looking where I was going." I say, naturally lapsing into my native tongue, english, without realizing it. The boy's eyes widen. 

"You speak English?" He asks me in perfect english, handing me my fallen books. I nod, clutching the books to my chest.

"Yeah. I'm from America." I say quietly. I glance at his face, expecting to see disgust or irritation in his expression. To my surprise, he smiles warmly at me. 

"Me too! I'm from Cali." He says brightly. I can't help but smile a bit. He holds out his hand. "I'm Kevin."

"Celestyn." I shake his hand gingerly. 

"Well, I'll see you around, Celly." He looks me in the eye. "I can call you that, right?" 

"Yeah." I reply, my smile widening just a bit. "Bye."

"Bye!" He says, giving me another bright smile. He turns and heads down the hallway in the opposite direction.

I sigh, the lingering heat from his hand tingling my hand. I shake my head suddenly. He was just being nice. He probably thinks you have 5 heads or something.

There was something odd about Kevin though. I'd never felt that way around anyone before. And he'd made me smile so easily. 

Suddenly, I really did hope I'd see him around.


I enter the cafeteria, my gaze once again downcast, my face bretraying no emotion. 

"Hey Celly! Celly!" I hear a familiar voice call my name. I glance up, startled at the sound of my name. "Celestyn! Over here!" I see Kevin, standing on a chair, waving to me from across the room. I walk over slowly and unsurely. Kevin leaps off of the chair he'd been standing on, and motions to the one next to him. "Sit down. Make yourself comfortable." He says, giving me that same warm smile he had earlier. My eyes widen.

"A-are you sure?" I ask, surprised.

"Of course! I figured you wouldn't know where to sit on your first day. First days are always awkward." He smiles kindly. "You can sit here for today. And from now on if you'd like." 

"But I wouldn't want to be trouble." I reply. Kevin smiles reassuringly.

"My friends will love you. They're getting food right now. I told them to get an extra tray for you." Kevin says. "Now sit!" He urges. I hesitantly sit down next to him.

"Thank you. You're very kind." I say quietly. He smiles again. 

'Anything for a friend." His expression suddenly becomes serious. "You do consider me as a friend, right?" I nod, and his expression relaxes and brightens again. 

"Here they come! My gosh they got a ton a food." Kevin exclaims suddenly. "You should see them buying dinner. I swear they eat more than an entire army does." He laughs, causing another smile to appear on my lips. 

5 boys approach the table and set down trays of food. kevin frowns again.

"Where's AJ?" He asks the guys. 

"Finishing something up in Chemistry." One of them says. Kevin seems to take this as an answer. 

"So Celly, this is Soohyun." Kevin says, pointing to one of the 5. Soohyun smiles kindly.

"Nice to meet you." He says kindly. I smile politely, but my gaze manages to drop to the floor again. I feel fingers lift up my chin. 

"Look up. You have pretty eyes." Kevin whispers into my ears. His fingers linger on my chin for another second before he drops his hand. A blush rises to my cheeks, but I force myself to keep my chin up.

Kevin continues to introduce me to his friends. 

"This is Ellison. He's from the states too." Kevin says.

"Call me Eli." Eli says with a smile. I nod and smile politely again. I quickly found that the names of the other three were Hoon, Kiseop, and Jun. Jun was the youngest of their group. He was in my grade; I'd seen him in Biology this morning.

The boys, as Kevin had told me, really did eat a lot. They ate their food so quickly it was unbelievable. And even after cleaning their bowls, they were still complaining that they were hungry. I sat with my hands in my lap, my food relatively untouched. I sat quietly, watching the boys devour various types of food. 

Kevin was the first to notice my untouched food. He frowned at me. 

"Do you not like your food?" Kevin asks. I shake my head quickly. 

"No, I love it actually." I reply quickly. Kevin tilts his head a bit, confused. 

"Then why aren't your eating it?" Kevin asks, sincere concern in his voice. 

"My mom thinks I'm fat." I say softly, too softly for the other boys, who were fighting over a bowl of soup, to hear.

"You're not. At all." He says, a frown tugging at his lips. I lace my fingers together shyly, my gaze dropping to my lap.

"Well I think I am." I murmur. Kevin shakes his head.

"Don't starve yourself. It's unhealthy. You're going to get sick." He pauses before adding, "Plus, you're amazing the way you are." He smiles widely. He picks up my chopsticks and carefully picks up a peice of sushi. "Now open up." I open my mouth and he feeds me the sushi. He beams after I swallow it. "Now that wasn't so hard was it?" 

As he turns to grab a vegetable wrap for me, I whisper,

"Thank you." Though he didn't turn around, I'm sure he heard me because his lips curl into another warm smile. I smile back.


A/N:This is the first story I've written on this website, so I hope it's not too bad. ^.^ Contructive criticism is welcome.