final ;

Thousand Miles

 

"Dad! Are you sure that one plus one is equals to two?"

 

For the 12th time that morning, Yugyeom asked as he stared at the clock located at the far corner of their dining area. “Gyeom, you’ve been asking the same question since last week. Do you expect a new answer from me?” Mark replied as he transferred the round chocolate chip pancakes onto a large plate. He quickly turned the stove off and walked towards the table to meet his son who’s playing with the spoon. He sat beside the kid, placed a pancake on his pororo designed plate and poured some milk into his cute drinking cup.

"But look at the clock, dad! One plus one is eleven!" the 4 year old kid insisted as he messily plunged the pancake in a small pool of maple syrup at the corner of his plate. The statement made Mark chuckle, although he’s starting to feel hopeless in changing his son’s point of view regarding numbers. "So you don’t believe in daddy?" Mark intrigued, acting like he’s sad and looking down with a blank expression.

Yugyeom pouted. He shook his head and wrapped his short yet warm arms around his father’s right arm. “Don’t be sad, daddy! I will ask my teacher later and if teacher says that it’s really eleven, you have to buy me a pack of gummy bears. Okay?” the kid demanded. He was born sweet yet he got the attitude of his father; playfulness and wit. Mark laughed, sipping into his black coffee, which is starting to get cold. “What if you’re teacher says that it’s two?”

The younger crossed his arms on his chest and looked up, portraying a thinking person. “Hmmm. You will still buy me gummy worms!”

Mark stared at his son and rode the flow of the conversation. He likes it when Yugyeom talks like this, he might sound mature yet still childish. “That’s not fair! Why would I do that?” he countered, pinching Yugyeom’s nose and earning a hearty giggle as a reward.

"Because I am your son and you are my daddy! I love you and you love me!"

 

His heart seemed to flutter in joy. The conversation ended with a smile. He watched how his little one munched on his favorite breakfast menu. How those small bites turned into big ones through the years. The lips that only make incoherent sounds before can now produce words that would make irrelevant topics. Time passed by before Mark. Yugyeom was just once an infant that only know crying, all kinds and classifications of it. But now, he’s ready to face the world. Well, it’s just the learning center that he was enrolled in, not literally the world.

Yugyeom’s first day of school was quite nerve wrecking; not for the kid, but for Mark. It was an overall mixture of excitement, delight, fear and nervousness. It’s inevitable to feel those feelings for a single parent in the first place. Although he’s been with his son for a couple of years now, the idea of sending his kid to school with random people, which he believes that are nice, was still kinda uneasy.

 

Mark fixed his son’s lunch box by placing a bottle of apple juice and a small container which has raisin cookies inside. “Gyeom, we’re going to leave!” Mark shouted, walking towards the living room to get the key of his car. His kid went out of their room, carrying a handful of metal badges in his hands. He carefully made his way towards his father.

He took Mark’s hand. “Daddy, you forgot these pins! The airplane will leave you if you don’t wear them!”

Yeah right. As a flight attendant, it’s a must to have a complete, proper and presentable uniform. Mark once told Yugyeom that the big boss will not let him travel if one of these badges aren’t attached on his satin blue coat. He loved how Yugyeom say it; that the airplane will leave him. It’s how a child’s logic really works. Mark placed the pins in his pocket and ruffled the boy’s hair. “I’m not going to work today. I can’t miss your first day as a student!”

They walked towards the door of the apartment and made sure that they got all the essentials; car and door keys, school permits, valid IDs, Yugyeom’s bag and lunch box and of course, Mark’s phone. As they headed towards the school, “The airplanes are sad.” the kid spoke all of a sudden, looking at the clouds across the window.

"Why?"

"Because you’re not flying with them. But I’m happy because you are with me."


Mark parked his car at the huge parking lot beside the school proper. As the engines went down, Yugyeom happily opened the car door and jumped outside of the car while randomly squirming and shouting things that he heard from the cartoons that he was watching the night before. Mark stepped out as well, taking his son’s bag on his arm. “Are you excited?” he asked, double checking the locks.

Yugyeom beamed wide, showing his incomplete front teeth. “Yes! One plus one equals eleven!” he yelled his heart out and sprinted to a certain direction, probably towards his home room. Mark shook his head and followed his kid.

The weather was nice, not too cold neither hot. The clouds were covering the entire city. Mark was wearing a plain black shirt, jeans and his old sneakers. And as for his son, Yugyeom was wearing a jumper that has a patch of Fin and Jake at the middle. Sooner, the number of parents alongside with their children increased. It was not an issue if he’s all alone; no wife, no girlfriend. Having his son with him is more than enough. The school bell rang. “Okay boy! This is it.” he said, wearing the small backpack around Yugyeom’s delicate shoulders.

The kid nodded and clapped his hands. “I’ll see you later, daddy!” and he left, running inside the room and almost bumping with smaller kids. The perks of being too tall for his age. Mark settled on a bench at the hallway and watched him through the glass windows. His son sat on a chair at the middle row, beside a little girl that had her hair braided. Some kids were crying, some were just quiet and some were almost near to pass the qualifications of having ADHD. Good things, his son was just there, winking at the girl beside him. Wait, what?

 

After few moments, a man walked passed Mark. The guy was wearing a peach tee, a grey cardigan, jeans and a pair of nice kicks. He’s carrying some folders and a sling bag. About the same age as him. This guy is the epitome of beauty. Mark said at first sight. He’s such an exact definition of the perfection, even sophistication. His side profile was purely jaw dropping, the way he carried his things, the way he walks; so confident and all. Mark sat in awe, oblivious that he’s been staring at the man for quite a long time. He got back in his senses after hearing the room door close.

"Good morning, class!"

 

Seriously? Mark looked by the window and confirmed his suspicion. Yes, that guy is Yugyeom’s teacher. The sound inside the room was inaudible but Mark made it a must to look at Yugyeom every time and steal glances at his cute teacher. His front profile is much better. He sighed. There were times when the teacher would smile and talk in a very adorable way, making the kids laugh. And Mark was there, fighting the urge of walking inside the room just to inform the teacher that he’s melting outside. The class went on; the kids introduced themselves in front of the class. Yugyeom was brightly smiling and attentively joining all the activities. Mark was so proud, he can’t hide his happiness.

 

After two hours, the children finally went out of the room and reunited with their parents. Yugyeom walked out and run towards his dad. Mark welcomed him with open arms and carried him up. “How was it?” Mark questioned, pinching his son’s cheek.

"It’s fun, daddy! I will come back here tomorrow and on the next day and on the tomorrow of the next day and the tomorrow of the next next day and —"

Mark laughed. “Okay, okay. Come on, let’s go to the mall!” said Mark and allowed his son to stand back on his feet. They walked hand in hand for a few steps when suddenly, Yugyeom stopped. Mark was clueless. Maybe he’s going to the comfort room. He whispered to himself. The boy looked at him with a serious expression. “Dad…” he mumbled, with a blank expression. Mark was starting to feel bothered about it. “Yes?” he replied.

"One plus one?"

"Gyeom, it’s —"

 

And before he could fully reply, “Teacher Nyoung!!!” Yugyeom shrieked as he ran towards a particular guy walking near them. Mark had his heart racing. His son was happily running towards his teacher and hugged his left leg upon arriving in front of him. Nyoung?! Nice name, though.

Jinyoung was smiling vibrantly. “Hi there, Yugyeomie!” he said, caressing the boy’s plump cheeks. The kid held Jinyoung’s hand and pulled him towards Mark’s direction. Jinyoung was looking right into his eyes and he can’t help but feel fragile. There’s something about this guy that made him feel so dense. A snap broke all his thoughts apart.

 

"Teacher Nyoung, tell my daddy that one plus one is equals to eleven so he would buy me gummy bears." Yugyeom bluntly said and his teacher chuckled. His voice sounds better than singing angels. He smiled at Gyeom then to Mark.

"One plus one is equals to two, Gyeomie. But don’t worry," Jinyoung opened the zipper his bag and took some small packs of jelly beans and gummy bears. "You can have these!" he cheered and handed the candies to the boy who’s jumping and randomly dancing because of happiness. Mark’s world seemed to stop. This guy is such a sweetheart.

Jinyoung giggled at the sight. “Thank you, teacher!” the boy said, hugging his teacher’s leg once again. “No problem. I’ll go now. See you tomorrow!” and Jinyoung turned around.

 

"H-Hey!" Mark called, stuttering. Jinyoung turned around with the same bright smile. Mark was close to collapsing. This is too much. "Thank you!" said Mark, trying to relax and not look weird. Jinyoung just smiled wider and turned back again. "H-hey!" Mark called again. His brain was too jumbled. He doesn’t even know if he’s doing the right thing. Jinyoung looked back for the second time, not even annoyed.

"I’m Mark Tuan. Yugyeom’s father."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Tuan. I’m Park Jinyoung."

 

Yugyeom was still going bananas over the treats from his teacher. He can’t stop twirling around like a top and other weird yet cute actions that kids do. He’s so hyped up. But what caught them all off guard was when the rain drizzled above them. “Gyeom! Come here!” Mark shouted.

Jinyoung removed his cardigan and protected the kid from the cold rain. He held it on top of Yugyeom’s head to make sure that he’ll stay dry. As they rushed towards the car, Mark was left speechless. He can’t pick the right words to describe Jinyoung. All that he knows is that Park Jinyoung is someone that he’ll love to see every day.

As they went in the car, Yugyeom pulled Jinyoung in. Both of them were sitting at the backseat while Mark settled on the driver’s seat. Jinyoung looked puzzled. “Are you okay?” Mark intrigued, passing a tissue box to the teacher. Jinyoung pulled some and wiped off his wet skin. “I’m fine, Mr. Tuan.” he softly spoke. “Ahmmm.. Can I stay here for a while, until the rain becomes lighter?” he followed.

Yugyeom ripped the packaging of the jelly beans and placed three pieces in his mouth. “We’re going to eat at the mall! Come with us, teacher! Daddy is rich! You can order the whole restaurant if you want.”

It left them both shut. But deep inside, Mark was thanking the gods that they gave his son such intelligence and courage in particular things. Jinyoung laughed and looked at Mark. “Yeah, come with us!” Mark invited and Jinyoung agreed wholeheartedly.

 


Upon arriving at the central mall, Yugyeom headed straight to his favorite fast food chain which is famous for their fried chicken. Mark and Jinyoung rarely talked and if they would, the conversation ends within a minute or two. Despite of that, Mark enjoyed Jinyoung’s company. He’s very positive and cheerful. He likes kids and knows how to tickle their soft spot. They all settled on a table near the window. Mark observed how Jinyoung eats; so mannered and calm. Sometimes, he would feed the kid and wipe his mouth. It made the elder come into a realization that Jinyoung is such a perfect parent-material.

After their lunch, Yugyeom asked if he could play in a small built-in playground inside the mall. Of course, Mark said yes. While his son is inside, he was left with Jinyoung on a bench outside. With their left hands occupied with a tall glass of milkshake, they eyed Yugyeom quietly. Mark secretly adored the entire idea of this. The feeling that he’s having for the guy sitting right beside him was very foreign. He haven’t felt such an enigmatic attraction to anyone before; not even to Yugyeom’s mother—his ex-girlfriend.

 

Jinyoung twirled the straw around the corners of the cup. “So, how long have you been teaching?” Mark suddenly said, hoping to know more about the other. Jinyoung looked at him and beamed. “I’m a fresh graduate, Mr. Tuan. This is my first time and today is my first day. That’s why I only have one shift per day. Me during morning while the afternoon session is handled by my friend, Youngji.”

Mark nodded in understanding. So here’s right. He’s just in the same age as Jinyoung. “Please call me Mark. I’m a fresh graduate as well; I believe that we’re at the same age.” Well, age isn’t a pleasant issue to talk about for now but Mark still can’t think straight. Who would’ve thought that getting to know someone would be this hard. “Really? Where are you working?”

"Seoul International Airport. I’m a flight attendant."

"Wow! That’s cool!" Fascinated, Jinyoung said. His eyes widen and his mouth formed into a small ‘o’. He’s so cute that Mark wanted to squish his cheeks for hours. "Your wife works there too?" Jinyoung added, sipping into his drink. Mark gulped nervously. He wasn’t the type of person that would talk about personal issues with someone that he just met, but he feels so comfortable with Jinyoung. He’s willing to tell his whole life story.

"I’m a single parent." he shyly said, looking at his son at the playground. "Things didn’t worked out between us." Jinyoung felt apologetic for asking but he was surprised to see that Mark happened to be so natural when he talked about it. No sign of sadness and despair. The younger scratched his nape. "How’s Yugyeom? I mean, do you allow her mother to see him?" he questioned. Mark sighed. "You don’t have to answer. Its okay if don’t want to talk about it. I understand." the teacher said, moving an inch away from Mark who seemed troubled.

He allowed everything to flashback before opening his mouth. “Nope, it’s fine. Actually, this is the first time that I’ll be opening this topic again after 4 years. I kept the real story from everyone, aside from my parents, because I’m afraid that people might not understand a detail and blame me all of a sudden.” he mumbled with a sly grin on his face. Jinyoung remained composed, looking at Mark’s side profile. His jaw, his lips, his eyelashes, his nose; Mark Tuan is such a faultless human being.

 

Mark breathed out and glanced at the younger. Their eyes met. “We’re both taking tourism in college. There was a time when our batch had an exposure trip in Bali. We got drunk and there, it happened. Call me a sadist, but I never loved her. I was so wild, reckless and free during my college days. I treated every relationship as a pastime. I wasn’t serious about anything, but take note, my grades were superb.” he chuckled as well as Jinyoung.

"You’re smart but you forgot to use a ." Jinyoung exclaimed between his giggles. Mark stopped from laughing and seriously watched Jinyoung’s reaction. "What was that? " he asked with a smirk. For a while, the teacher got enlightened and realized how embarrassing his words were. "I…I said… it’s okay! See, you have a very smart kid now." he patched up.

"I broke up with her after knowing that she’s pregnant. She even attempted to take pills and kill the baby. She said she isn’t ready to be a mother and she’s very immature. But my conscience won’t let me live properly if I agreed with her plan. So I said that after giving birth to the baby, she can leave it to me. And it happened. She went to Taiwan a week after her delivery. We made an agreement that she can never touch Yugyeom again. She’s fine with it, though. I became a full time dad to Yugyeom and a full time student as well. It was tiring yet fun."

"It’s her loss, not yours." Jinyoung concluded with a smile.

"Exactly."

 


The weather was still bad when they all agreed to go home. It’s starting to get dark. “Thank you, Mark.” Jinyoung said, walking towards the parking lot and carrying the toys that Yugyeom bought and an umbrella to protect them from the rain. Yugyeom was on Mark’s arms, peacefully sleeping. Mark opened the trunk and allowed Jinyoung to place all the bags in there. He also placed Yugyeom at the backseat and let him sleep longer. “I’ll go now! See you tomorrow.” Jinyoung bid goodbye.

Mark felt something. He can’t let this day end that fast. “Let me drive you home.”

Jinyoung raised a brow and blushed a little. “No need, Mark. It’s okay.”

"Please?" Mark asked with his puppy eyes and pouting lips. I’m screwed. Jinyoung whispered to himself. In less than a minute, he’s already sitting in the passenger seat.

 


The following days were pure history. Although Mark would go to work and report in the airlines for almost every day, he makes sure that every weekend is a day for him, for Yugyeom and even for Jinyoung. Yugyeom stays at the house of his father’s good friend, Jackson. He would send and pick the kid from school and take care of him until the weekend comes. They are happy when they’re all together, just like a family.

Everything about Park Jinyoung is remarkable. He’s someone that you will not regularly meet on a busy street. One of a kind. It was not hard to figure out how Mark learned to love him. He was kind, caring, supportive and loving. He treats Yugyeom as his student at school but after classes, he transforms as the boy’s second father. And as a matter of fact, he also takes care of Mark. Calling him every day and asking him about his flights. It was a pleasant feeling to love again. Mark almost accepted the fact that he might grow old alone. But as of now, he can see a bright future ahead of him and his son. A future with a guy named Park Jinyoung in it.

 

 

One Sunday, the three of them went on the park. Mark and Jinyoung stayed in a small cottage while Yugyeom was flying a kite few blocks away from them. “Jinyoung, I’ll be gone for 16 days. Well, starting tomorrow afternoon.” Mark said, lovingly looking at the other.

"Huh? Why? " he replied, turning the page of the book that he’s reading. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. Mark took a very deep inhale. "I have a flight this coming week and after that, we have to attend a seminar in Barcelona. Then we’ll return to our normal flight schedules."

Jinyoung closed his book and looked at the kid from a far. He’s filled with joy. “Gyeomie will surely be sad.” and the elder nodded. “Jackson even said that he can’t look after my son because he’s going to Hong Kong tomorrow. I don’t know what to do.” Mark anxiously declared, rubbing the back of his palm.

"I can look after him." Jinyoung suggested.

Mark was taken aback. “Are you sure?”

"Yup. Just make sure that you’ll call us regularly." he advised. At that very moment, Mark wanted to burst out. Jinyoung is a life saver. Indeed.

 


The next day, they send Mark in the airport. Of course, Yugyeom cried so hard that it almost shattered all the glass windows. Mark’s heart clenched, this is not the first time that he’ll be leaving but it hurts even more after every flight. He looked very handsome in his satin blue coat, black pants, and shining leather shoes. With a luggage on hand, he wrapped his other arm on his kid and kissed his forehead for the last time. “Gyeomie, be a good boy to Teacher Nyoung, okay?” he said, controlling his tears.

The boy nodded and embraced his father tight. Jinyoung had to hold Yugyeom too so he won’t run after his father by the time that he enters the attendants’ station. Mark looked at Jinyoung. Everything went to unpredictable that Jinyoung just felt a pair of arms strongly wrapped around his body and a hot breath tickling his neck. He was frozen. Mark hugged him, tight. Not wanting to let go, not wanting to leave. “I love you, Park Jinyoung.” He whispered.

Jinyoung was so shocked that his brain couldn’t generate a word. Is this really happening? He asked himself. “M-Mark… I… I —”

"I’ll let you think about it. But I hope that by the time I arrive from Barcelona, you already have your answer."

Mark loosens his grip and kissed Jinyoung’s forehead. “Take care.” he said before turning around and pulling his bag. Jinyoung felt so weak for the first time. He’s not sure if it’s because of Mark’s departure, the confession or the kiss. His heart clenched as the sliding door opened. Mark made a last look and waved. Yugyeom made a flying kiss with tears running down his chubby cheeks. “Bye daddy! I love you!” the kid shouted. Mark nodded and finally went in the station.

 

It was quite exciting to stay in a new habitat for a couple of week. It’s been 4 days since Mark left. He’s having fun, though. He wakes up early to prepare Yugyeom’s things and breakfast then they’ll groom up, head to school, go home, take an afternoon nap, play some cars, eat dinner, quick shower and sleep in Mark’s bed. It has been a routine for them. Neither of the two protests, they’re both glad to have each other. Yugyeom felt like he earned another father.

Jinyoung carried the clean clothes towards Mark’s room and arranged them in a small corner. Yugyeom was just sitting on the bed and looking at him. “Daddy Nyoung!” he called. Jinyoung dropped the shirt that he was folding. “Gyeom?! What are you saying?! Mark is your daddy! Not me!” he explained.

The kid frowned. “But I want a Daddy Nyoung too! Or Mommy Nyoung!”

This kid! Jinyoung was close to fainting when Yugyeom pouted. He’s such a gumball. “I’m not a girl. Don’t call me ‘mommy’. “

"Okay, Daddy Nyoung!"

 

Another week passed, Jinyoung was already into the idea of being Yugyeom’s ‘second’ dad. He thinks he’s ready to handle certain things, including Mark. He decided that maybe he should give the man a chance. There was an undeniable chemistry between him and Mark since the beginning. He loved Mark, from the first day yet he’s just afraid to admit it. He’s afraid of the responsibilities, Yugyeom’s reaction and basically, just afraid to give his heart to someone else. But now, he’s willing to risk it. Not just for his happiness, but for Yugyeom and Mark.

 

It was a Saturday morning; he glanced beside him and saw Yugyeom sleeping tightly. The bed is too big for a kid and an adult so there’s still a huge space of the other half of the bed. He reached for his cellphone and checked the date. 4 more days before Mark comes home. He slides over the Facetime button, hoping to see and chat with Mark despite of the contrasting time zones. Just as before he could press the logo, a warm arm from behind pulled him closer, a leg hovered his other leg, trapping it in and a pair of lips graced on his shoulder.

Jinyoung almost died in shock. His body trembled and he panicked. Having no idea of who that person was, he can help but to feel extremely terrified. “Calm down, baby. It’s me.” A familiar voice spoke; vibrations were felt within his skin.

 

He turned a little and saw Mark, nuzzling on his bare skin. All his blood crept up his face as he blushed in no time. This is embarrassing yet very sweet at the same time. He didn’t regret his decision of not wearing a shirt. “Why so sudden? I thought 16 —”

"Well, I missed my Gyeomie and my Jinyoungie so much so I asked our supervisor to change my schedule. I’m going to Venice next month." he said, leaving butterfly kisses along Jinyoung’s neck. "Aren’t you happy?" he intrigued, pinching the younger’s nose lightly.

Jinyoung beamed and held his hand. He fully relaxed his body against Mark’s. “About your question last time, ” he started off, playing with Mark’s fingertips. “I love you too, Mark.”

Not wasting anytime, Mark went closer and crashed his lips with Jinyoung. A kiss filled with affection and joy, they stayed like that for a while until both of them were out of breath. Mark hugged him once again and murmured a low ‘thank you and I love you’ on Jinyoung’s head. He peeped at his son who’s still sleeping beside this lover. “I’m so lucky to have the both of you.” he whispered. Jinyoung chuckled, his head buried in Mark’s chest.

"Time for breakfast, daddy."

 

Mark looked at Yugyeom once again, checking him before making any inappropriate movement. “Gyeom are you awake already?” the boy didn’t replied. He’s still hugging his stuff toy and sleeping quietly. Mark’s eyes shot wide open. “Jinyoungie, did you just called me ‘daddy’? He intrigued with a smirk on his lips.

Jinyoung innocently beamed and sat up. “Why? Don’t tell me it turned you on?”

"Kinda." he shyly admitted.

"Well, you’ll get what you want when you get home from Venice next month. Willing to wait?"

Mark smiled and hugged him close. “I don’t want you to rush yourself but if that’s the case, then yes. I’ll look forward to that.”

 

Jinyoung nodded and escaped from Mark’s hold. Grabbing a shirt from a hanger and wearing it swiftly. “See you downstairs, daddy! ” he teased and happily ran outside of the room. Mark was left inside, dumbfounded. Now it feels like he’s taking care of two lovely kids. He can’t contain his happiness. Mark sighed and kissed his son on his cheek.

 


Weird but that ‘one plus one’ thingy is such a real blessing in disguise. No joke.