CHAPTER I

SECOND CHANCE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Lodge, Los Angeles, California. 25th October, 2064

 

I pulled the thick layer of this lumpy sheet over my shoulder, curling up a bit for the bedding to accommodate my whole body. I searched for a sense of comfort, for warmth. I am desperate for heat. This old and almost skeletal form I’m in didn’t help me to fight these chills the weather offer. I looked at the window located on the left side of the room, the sun shines gloomy outside making it slightly unnoticeable behind that yellow curtain. In the slit created by the intersection of two different portion of the curtain, peeks an old tree. Yes, old I may say but it didn’t lose its purpose. It's still giving shade even if it doesn't bear fruits anymore. Unlike people as we diminish we became trashy.  Saying it base on my experience. 

I closed my eyes for a moment, as the wind outside just blew strongly that it wiggles that old tree. When I opened it back I notice how some of its leaves fall out and the others remain stable with its brown and orange colour. Those leaves just give up. I continue observing the outside surrounding through that small opening. I bet it is a bit dumpy and cold outside (maybe colder than here). It is occasionally raining and in a month or two, there will be a change, snows are going to fall. For now people are enjoying the season, the fall.

Fall. . .

Fall. . .                                                            

How I love this season when I was in my teenage day. It was my source of energy to continue the day, my sort of caffeine to keep me awake. But now neither of the seasons I give a care about. Why would I? I’m dying anyway. Wait? How could I die if I never live?

 

“Mrs Choi?” A soft knock awakened my gaping senses. I rolled sideways to see who is my visitor is. It’s the nurse. She is the youngest (I guess) of all the takers here and also the prettiest.

“Oh. You’re awake. It’s time for your morning breakfast and supplement,” I watched her pace to the side of my bed and how she aid me to sit up then put a pillow behind my back. She arranged the bowl and bottles of medicines in the coffee table. Soon enough she began feeding me spoonful of mostly soup and leaves in silent.

“You resent this work, don’t you?” I said in my voice which is almost sound like a gushing air.

“It’s my honour to take care a beautiful woman like you Mrs Choi.”  She smiled as she fed me my food again. It took me a while to finish that last spoon.

“It’s okay, I won’t be long here. I’ll be seeing my husband soon.”

“I’d like to contradict to that but if it’s your will ma’am. I think I can’t. You had live long enough." She beamed at me and I reciprocated it. She started cleaning the bowl and gave me my supplements.

“I hope I could agree to you but I can't denied that I didn't live that long. I'm living somebody's life for almost fifty years. I regret too much." I handed back the cup of water and she shifted her attention to me one more time. 

"I wished you could share the grief to lessen the burden ma'am." She flashed a compassionate smile. "Oh, I almost forget.  Someone sent you letters.” She turned to get the envelopes in the tray and handed it to me. I looked at the crappy penmanship in the paper and a curve appeared in my face.

"If you excuse me, I would like to give you some privacy reading the letter.  See you later, Mrs Choi." I nodded at her.

"Thank you." And she walked out of the room as I went back to my letter. And it's surprising to see the name of the person I lost contact 45 years ago. The man I ever wanted to see, Andrew or rather Siwon Choi and his letters read this way.

 

 

October 2025

Dear Fany, 

 

         Annyeong!  How's your life?  I know this crazy but I'm in Korea!  Do I sound like a Korean now? HAHA! 

Look I have something to tell you.  I'm really proud of you.  Yeah, the news got to me. Bank regional manager? God that's big. 

But that not what I want to tell (but honestly I'm proud of you). You know were 29 and we will never get younger. And I wished I wasn't a coward for not letting you know over the years.  But I hope it’s not too late.  I love you and only you. I know it’s too not formal and old fashion to do it on letter but I don't how to contact you but through this. I want you to know that this sincere and from my heart. If you got this ring me back in this number xxxxxxxx.

 

Love, Wonnie

 

August 2026

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter