So Gay But It's Okay

Not So Straight After All

“I’m pretty straight, unfortunately.”                              

That was Hyomin’s answer to her confession. Rejection is fine, but if your roommate is your ex-crush’s (Jiyeon insists, thank you very much) best friend, that is a totally different story. Jiyeon is not sure whether Eunjung is out there to make a living for her or if she is just plain dumb.

To actually invite Hyomin to study for the finals at their dorm without her permission, she was this close to set Eunjung’s assignments on fire. Instead, she settled down on only doodling on them because she was at mercy.

Jiyeon praised the lord that she knew where Qri’s spare keys were (The elder girl would refuse her arrival with no sympathy) and barged in.

So this was the beginning of Park Jiyeon seeking refuge at her place with the poor excuse that she wanted to spend time with the elder girl. Making herself comfortable on the couch, ready to rant out her misfortunes.

“Who was the one who cook for her lazy bum every day? And this is how she treat me? By chasing me out of my own dorm, my little space of comfort on a nice Saturday morning?” Jiyeon cried as she shoved a scoop of vanilla ice cream in .

Qri hummed in response, eyes fixated on her phone screen.  

“I’m feeling so sorry for myself. Never have I felt so betrayed before.” Jiyeon stabbed the spoon into the tub of ice cream.

“Just tell Eunjung that you’re uncomfortable with that cute little crush of yours walking around in your dorm and she will understand your problems.” Qri cleaned Jiyeon’s face, wiping off the ice cream.

‘Unnie. It’s ex crush. And there’s no way she’s going to listen to me, she’s obviously taking advantage of the age difference” Jiyeon emphasized on the word ’ex’, “ugh. I hate Hyomin so much but she’s so annoyingly attractive. What have I done to deserve this?”

“Well then, you can’t keep running to me when this happens,” Qri shook her head. She would very much enjoy solitude, thank you.

“Are you abandoning me too? But I have no one!” Jiyeon whined and tried her very best to make the cutest pout. It turned out too disgusting for the elder girl’s liking.

“Ew. Please stop.” Qri pushed Jiyeon’s face aside and let out a defeated sigh “Well, I guess its fine for now.”

If Jiyeon would stop blabbering about her roommate, she would have seen the countless times Qri rolled her eyes.

And if she would actually pay attention to what Eunjung was saying on a particular night, she would have known that Hyomin is coming over for a movie marathon.

Unfortunately, she didn’t.

So when she’s in her snoopy pajamas, hair messily tied sideways with huge framed glasses, the last person she would expect to walk in seeing her munching on popcorn while crying over cheesy romance movie is Hyomin.

And damn, how she wish life was fair for her. If she looked like , she probably feel like one too.

“Hi Jiyeon, good to see you around.” Hyomin waved at her, smiling to hide the uneasiness and awkwardness. Oh boy, how terribly she failed.

“Hi.” Jiyeon squeaked (she couldn’t believe she actually squeaked). Jiyeon wanted to head desk and never seeing the world again.

“Oh. Jiyeon arh. Let’s watch together. I got good shows, good food with good company, perfect for the three of us,” Eunjung, being the scumbag as she was, offered Jiyeon to hang out with them, a glee plastered on her face. And If Jiyeon could. She would have punch her for even suggesting it.

“Uh, enjoy the movie! I have some other place to go. “And off she went, to the dorm of Lee Qri in all pajamas glory.

By the end of the month, Jiyeon swore Hyomin’s presence is everywhere. She was practically living in her dorm.

And damn it. Because Qri decided to take away the spare keys after the fifth time Jiyeon left crumbs on her couch. (“Inconsiderate friends, where’s the love after three years?” Jiyeon says)

 On a good Sunday morning, she stuffed the chips in . That particular day was probably the only rare days where Hyomin wasn’t around. Jiyeon made sure of it. After standing up for herself by making her point clear to Eunjung that she does not like Hyomin hanging around with her, the situation took a better turn.

However, things don’t usually goes her way.

With the loud and cheery of “I’m back” from Eunjung, Jiyeon let out a groan.

“Didn’t you say you’ll be at her place today?”

“Sorry, it’s kind of inconvenient because Sunny brought her friends home.” Hyomin bit her bottom lip, looking at the frustrated girl with an apologetic gaze.

“It’s inconvenient for me too. Ugh. To hell with you insensitive and inconsiderate people. I have enough of you guys.” Jiyeon stomped out of her dorm.

“It’s okay, you’ll make up with her,” Eunjung sighed, placing her hand on Hyomin’s shoulder, “And she’ll come back soon. Don’t worry.”

Eunjung glanced at the phone and wallet on the table, smirking.

Apparently, leaving the dorm is a very bad idea because Jiyeon brought nothing, only a key to the place she didn’t want to step a foot in then.

So when its dinner time and the hungry one didn’t have any money with her, she decided to sneak into her dorm. She crossed her heart, hoping that they weren’t at the living room. And so they were, with dinner on the table, waiting for her arrival.

“Arh Jiyeon, just in time for dinner.” Eunjung, with a -eating grin on her face, directed her gaze at the third share of dinner.

Oh, Jiyeon is so going to post Eunjung’s failed ice bucket challenge on Instagram. It’s the only way to stand up for herself from such disgrace.

If everyone have that one friend you regret making, then Jiyeon is convinced that the person is Eunjung.

“Jiyeon arh.” Eunjung once again had an apologetic smile on her face.

‘I’m not going to do the laundry for you if you’re telling me- goddamn it.” Jiyeon deadpanned because she could already see Hyomin from the window.

This time however, she remembered to bring her wallet and cellphone along, ready to walk out of the dorm with confidence and pride like a badass she is.

What she wasn’t ready for, was a grip on her wrist when she walk past Hyomin.

“We need to talk.” Hyomin tugged her wrist and Jiyeon was taken aback. Hyomin had never sound so firm before. Her usual gentle and easygoing tone was replaced.

“Well uh, okay if you insist.” Jiyeon uttered. She paused for a moment, before she started to blabber, waving her hands frantically, “If this is about me having a crush on you I swear to god I’ve stop.”

Well, lying is bad, especially swearing to god about it. But, she have to convince her, doesn’t she?

“This is about me having a crush about you.” Hyomin said calmly after taking a deep breath.

“Like I said, I- Wait. What?” 

“Never mind. Since you’ve already said you’ve gotten over me.” Hyomin pouted.

“Oh my god. No I was jus-“Hyomin did not even let Jiyeon complete her sentence. She simply showed her crescent-eyed smile to shut her up.

“After you confessed, I questioned my uality and was in a state of confusion because I was strangely affected by it.” Hyomin grinned sheepishly, twirling her hair with shyness, “So I was kind of awkward around you but I still want to be around you. Even so, you just kept avoiding me, and I was so upset and I just knew that… you know…” Jiyeon thought that was the cutest thing ever, but she was wrong.

Because “I like you” from Hyomin was so much more adorable than that and Jiyeon wanted to shower her with kisses so badly and so she did. Cherishing the moment she have been waiting for.

“Ewwww. This is totally not a scene I would want to walk in. In all honesty I’m feeling so attacked now. Nope, screw you all. I’m going to Qri. You cruel people.” Eunjung gave a look of disgust, turning her back from the couple.

“Oops.” Jiyeon smiled, lips still attached to Hyomin’s.

“Yup. Oops.” Hyomin held Jiyeon’s hand tightly.

 That night, Hyomin and Jiyeon both agreed that they are pretty gay and that’s okay. (“My gay-dar was right all along,” Jiyeon spoke proudly much to Hyomin’s protest that she was straight, “Well, the keyword is ‘was’.”)