final

there's a lightning in your eyes i can't deny

Sitting at a lunch table with two people who were already best friends was awkward. Really, really awkward. It was better than sitting alone, however, so Jungkook dealt with it.

 

Yugyeom and BamBam were still so kind to him, trying to include him in their conversations as much as possible, but it was hard when Jungkook didn’t have much to add. They were always discussing things he was never a part of.

 

Class was even more awkward when you only had two friends and they were only in two out of six classes. Jungkook didn’t mind sitting alone - it was slightly lonely - but being asked to ‘pair up’ for group projects was never fun. Being a loner in general wasn’t fun.

 

Things that were fun, on the other hand, was having a super sweet boyfriend who would be waiting around the corner from the school every day without fail. Seeing Taehyung grin widely when Jungkook came into sight was enough to make waiting throughout the day seem worth it.

 

“Jungkookie!” Taehyung yelled loudly into Jungkook’s ear as he pulled the younger into his usual bone-crushing hug. Jungkook could do nothing but let himself be manhandled. “I love you!”

 

“…Okay.”

 

“As eloquent at responding as ever,” Taehyung said, covering his mouth with his hand as he laughed.

 

Jungkook smacked Taehyung on the arm, hard. “Whatever, Tae.”

 

Sitting at the bus stop with Taehyung was always comfortable, whether they were sitting in silence, talking about their day or playing around loudly. Feeling shy or awkward with Taehyung was something Jungkook never considered.

 

“You should have seen Jimin’s face! He went so red, I nearly cried with laughter.” Taehyung was always so animated when telling a story, his hands flying about in all directions, his facial expressions changing so regularly it was almost hard to keep up. Jungkook was so easily pulled in to whatever story Taehyung was telling, laughing along without a second thought.

 

When the bus would pull up, Taehyung would drag Jungkook to the very back and cuddle into his boyfriend’s side for ‘protection against the cold’. Jungkook rolled his eyes as if he were exasperated yet he would make no move to push Taehyung away.

 

“Jungkookie, can we sleep at your house tonight? I think Hobi was planning to ile me, he kept giving me hints.”

 

Confused, Jungkook looked down at Taehyung. “Hints?”

 

“Yeah, kinda obvious ones too.” Taehyung grinned. “’Oh, Taehyung! You haven’t stayed over at Jungkook’s for a while…’ ‘Taehyung, I put some stuff in your backpack to stay at Jungkook’s!’ ‘Taehyung, Yoongi is coming over later.’”

 

Jungkook snorted at Taehyung’s ridiculous impression of Hoseok. He belated noticed that Taehyung’s backpack did seem to be more full than usual and breathed out a laugh at Hoseok’s tactics.

 

“Of course you can stay over, idiot. As long as you don’t keep me up all night like last time.”

 

“Hey! That was a very important quest I had to complete, I couldn’t progress in the game without doing it.”

 

“Tae. You died 37 times and didn’t complete the quest until 3am. It took you six hours.”

 

Taehyung huffed indignantly and pulled himself off Jungkook to glare out the window. He crossed his arms across his chest and Jungkook just laughed more at the elder’s immaturity. He turned around in the cramped space to press his lips to Taehyung’s cheek, enjoying watching his face grow pink.

 

It was never long until Taehyung forgot why he was supposed to be ignoring Jungkook and was showing him whatever achievement he reached in a mobile game that day. The way Taehyung’s face lit up whenever he talked about something he found fun warmed Jungkook’s chest and he knew he would go out of his way to stop anyone who threatened Taehyung’s happiness.

 

“You’ll never guess what a fan sent me on twitter today!” Taehyung exclaimed as Jungkook unlocked his front door, letting them both inside. It was a slightly warmer compared to the frigid winter air outside and Jungkook sighed in relief before replying.

 

“What did they send?” Jungkook knew he wasn’t the only one who adored Taehyung. There were hundreds of thousands of others all over the world who followed Taehyung religiously through his YouTube channel, waiting for every Tuesday when Taehyung would upload his weekly video. Jungkook had seen the sort of comments the fans would leave – they all loved Taehyung as much as he did. He couldn’t blame them.

 

“She sent me an edit she made of me riding on top of a cat!” Taehyung was beaming and Jungkook couldn’t stop himself from smiling back.

 

“Like you said you wanted in last weeks video? To ride a giant cat?” He watched Taehyung’s videos every single week, even if he was present off screen for nearly every single filming. He wasn’t sure why he felt the need to watch Taehyung on a screen when he could just see the real thing whenever he wanted, but he liked to think of it as support.

 

Taehyung nodded enthusiastically, whipping his phone from his pocket. He tapped at the screen, bringing up the photo within seconds and shoving the phone into Jungkook’s face. If it were anyone else, Jungkook would be annoyed, but he was so used to Taehyung’s overzealous nature that it would be weird if he weren’t so bold in his actions.

 

The photo was, indeed, Taehyung riding atop a giant cat with a purple galaxy background. Pixelated glasses had been edited onto Taehyung’s face and the whole image was so obnoxiously Taehyung that it actually did make Jungkook laugh.

 

Taehyung looked satisfied with Jungkook’s reaction and shoved his phone away, grabbing Jungkook’s hand. He started to lead Jungkook to his bedroom – which was practically their bedroom by now, with the amount of times Taehyung slept in it. They were either at Jungkook’s house or at Taehyung’s dorm and sleeping alone was nearly a foreign concept to Jungkook. He was so used to having Taehyung clinging to him as he slept or cursing quietly at a game in the floor next to the bed and a silent room would be too loud to bear.

 

Jungkook flopped unceremoniously onto his bed as Taehyung set up his camera in front of it. Friday nights were Taehyung’s ‘recording day’, where he would record whatever he felt like recording, giving him three days at the minimum to rerecord and edit.

 

Staring at Taehyung from behind the camera was always odd. Taehyung was talking as animatedly as normal and it seemed like it should be directed at Jungkook, yet his gaze would always be focused just to the side to a camera instead. Sometimes, Taehyung would look over for a few seconds to shoot Jungkook a smile before he continued his story.

 

“-and then my Bunny was like ‘Tae, get off me’ but I couldn’t move, you know? My legs were completely numb!” Taehyung never referred to Jungkook by name in his videos, always ‘my Bunny’ and Jungkook was more endeared than irritated.

 

He had asked Taehyung once why he only ever referred to him with ‘my Bunny’ to receive one of the sweetest smiles he had ever seen. Taehyung explained to him how the first time he started to make videos and wanted to mention Jungkook, he wasn’t sure whether he’d want his name given out on the Internet, so he substituted in a nickname instead. Taehyung decided he liked the nickname and simply continued using it.

 

Jungkook was always in awe of how considerate Taehyung truly was, always thinking of what he would want before acting on something. He always heard people calling Taehyung ‘dumb’ or ‘alien’ but he knew better. He knew Taehyung was one of the most thoughtful and intelligent people he knew.

 

By the time Taehyung was finished recording, Jungkook had began drifting in and out of unconsciousness, the long day at school taking its toll on him. The comfortable bed helped nothing.

 

Slowly, Taehyung climbed onto the bed, careful not to disturb Jungkook as he gathered the younger up into his arms, kissing his forehead gently. Jungkook snuggled into Taehyung’s chest drowsily, inhaling Taehyung’s scent and revelling in his warmth. A hand was carded softly through his hair and he let out a low hum of content.

 

“Is my baby sleepy?” Taehyung questioned, nuzzling his nose into Jungkook’s hair affectionately. Jungkook hummed again in reply. “It’s only five in the evening, cutie. You still need to eat dinner and your mum will be home soon too.”

 

“Can’t I just nap for ten minutes?” Jungkook grumbled, pressing his face onto Taehyung’s body in an attempt to shut himself away from the world for a little longer. Maybe Taehyung could also keep away the large amount of homework hidden away in his bag as well.

 

Taehyung’s laugh shook his chest and Jungkook frowned, shushing his boyfriend so that he could sleep better. Shaking his head in faux defeat, Taehyung closed his eyes too. He hugged Jungkook a little tighter; whispering something along the lines of a quick nap couldn’t hurt, before falling into a light slumber.

***

 

Every Wednesday night was dedicated Taehyung to reading comments on his latest video while Jungkook did his homework. It was a pattern they fell into without much discussion, another comfortable routine they never felt the need to break.

 

An occasional snicker sounded next to Jungkook while he puzzled over his maths worksheet, random comments amusing Taehyung. Sometimes, Jungkook would get bored of his work and look at Taehyung’s laptop screen instead to read the comments too. Taehyung always noticed, angling the screen so that Jungkook had a better view.

 

“Everyone still really wants to meet you,” Taehyung informed Jungkook as if he hadn’t just read three comments in a row stating just that. Looking up towards Taehyung, Jungkook frowned.

 

“You know I don’t like being on camera though.” And Taehyung did know. It was something they established years ago when Taehyung tried to film Jungkook, who freaked out so much he ended up hitting the camera and breaking it.

 

“I know, cupcake. I just think it would be cool if my viewers could finally meet the one who has managed to capture my attention so much for the past few years.” Taehyung pinched at Jungkook’s cheek, giggling loudly when his hand was swatted away. Jungkook’s cheeks burned red at Taehyung’s words but he secretly loved how appreciated Taehyung always made him feel.

 

Jungkook sighed heavily, cogs turning in his mind. It wasn’t much that Taehyung wished for and Jungkook felt a little selfish for denying him one of the only things he ever really wanted just because of his own self-consciousness. It wasn’t like Taehyung wanted him to put his life at risk – he just wanted to film a video with his boyfriend.

 

He closed his maths jotter slowly, sitting up straight and setting his work aside. Taehyung’s gaze flickered to Jungkook in mild surprise but patiently waited for Jungkook to speak.

 

“What would being in a vlog entail?”

 

Taehyung’s face brightened in seconds, his eyes widening and face splitting into a wide smile. “You’ll be in one? Really, really?”

 

Jungkook laughed at Taehyung’s eagerness. “It depends on whether I would have to act stupid or not.”

 

There was no warning before Taehyung flung himself onto Jungkook, toppling them both back onto the hard wooden floor of Taehyung’s dorm room. Taehyung was yelling into his ear and kissing every inch of his face while Jungkook continued to laugh.

 

Agreeing to filming and actually filming ended up being two completely different things.

 

“This is my Bunny!” Taehyung announced with grandeur, yanking Jungkook by the hand into the seat beside him. It didn’t take long for Jungkook to freeze up in fear, panic over how he looked coursing through every vein.

 

Taehyung; sweet, lovely Taehyung was quick to notice Jungkook’s terror. Gently, he pulled Jungkook into his side, an arm wrapped around him and tracing small circles on his waist. Jungkook tried his best to focus on the soothing ministrations but his anxiety took over every sense.

 

Jungkook was hesitant in hiding his face against the softness of Taehyung’s sweater, worried about ruining Taehyung’s plans for the video. Taehyung brought a hand up to pet Jungkook’s hair comfortingly, letting him know it was okay and Jungkook relaxed, burying his nose into the fabric.

 

“My Bunny is very afraid of the camera but he still came on for you to meet him. He’s so kind!” Taehyung’s voice was softer than usual throughout the vlog and Jungkook could feel Taehyung look down to stare at him at several points. He let himself be lulled into a happier state by Taehyung’s deep voice and the tender hand his hair.

 

The vlog was wrapped up much quicker than Jungkook expected and Taehyung reached out to turn the camera off, jostling Jungkook a bit. He brought his hand back to under Jungkook’s chin, tipping his face up so they were eye to eye. Taehyung kissed him gently, smiling when Jungkook wrapped his arms around his neck.

 

“Thank you for doing that for me,” Taehyung murmured, pecking Jungkook’s lips again. “I really, really love you.”

 

“Damn right you should.” Jungkook laughed quietly, pressing in for another kiss (and then maybe a couple more.)

 


i dont even want to apologise for this trashy piece of writing so i wont. 

 

ive been feeling terrible about all my writing lately but rapmon's 'do you' got me so in hype and now im just like. yo. im just doing my thing. thx rapmon. ur whole mixtape is amazing.