Final.

Lifeguard
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The white Hawaiian sand was soft and warm beneath her feet. The actual feeling of having sand between her toes was a thousand times better than what she had ever imagined, while looking at the beautiful pictures on her work computer, cooped up in her suffocating little office cubicle. 

Seulgi closed her eyes and stood still for a moment, appreciating her surroundings. She breathed in, taking a breath of the ocean's scent deep down into her yearning lungs. It smelt like excitement and freedom, things she hadn't felt in a long time. When she opened her eyes, she saw waves gracefully crashing down into the sand, racing to get as far up to shore as possible, only to be pulled back out by the tide. And then it would happen again. She continued to watch the cycle of the pushing and pulling of the ocean water, in awe of its simple yet complicated beauty. 

Seulgi was from Seoul. She lived day by day doing the same things over and over again. Her life was dull and boring, a cycle of loneliness and dread. She would wake up, go to work at a job she hated in a nightmare of an office, come back home, and sleep. Then repeat. She called it "The Death Cycle", because she was positive that this lifestyle would be the death of her. Seulgi felt trapped and often wondered what her meaning and purpose in life was.

In the distance, squealing laughter could be heard as children were playfully chased around by their parents on the sandy shore. This put a smile on Seulgi's face, as she reminisced the times when her family would go out and play at the beach, when she was a young girl. Seulgi now lived alone, and the reminder of how lost and lonely she felt quickly washed away her sweet smile, as she was overtaken by feelings of guilt and regret. She had moved away from her family in the countryside when she was 18 years old, and regretted how she had never taken any time to visit them, when she still had the chance to do so. It had been nearly two and a half years since the incident that took the lives of her family members had occurred. And at the young age of 21, Seulgi was left all alone to fend for herself, in the frigid, cold city of Seoul. She was saddened at the thought that she hadn't had a chance to visit home ever since. But it's not like she really needed too, there was nothing left for her there anyways.

This would be  the first vacation that Seulgi had in three years, ever since she started working at that atrocious company. She had an awful boss to thank because of that. Revolted by the sudden pop-up image of her boss'  face, Seulgi quickly decided to distract herself. She wasn't about to let her boss ruin her vacation from miles away. 

Looking down at the beach, Seulgi noticed a jet ski rental booth. Feeling adventurous for the first time in what felt like forever, she decided that jet skiing was a good place to start her day. 

                                                               ----------------------------------------------------------------

Seulgi found herself having the time of her life. She had spent the majority of her day riding around on jet skis, eating delicious exotic foods, and even managed to make a few new friends native to the Hawaiian land.  Many were very intrigued by Seulgi's foreign and exotic looks. They thought she was extremely beautiful, which made her blush madly. 

It was now 3:45 in the afternoon. Earlier that morning, Seulgi had signed herself up for Surfing lessons. With 15 minutes left before her lesson began, as Seulgi made her way down to the beach, a voice suddenly caught her attention.

"Excuse me!" the voice called out. Seulgi turned around to see a tall boy standing a few feet infront her. He was smiling at her. Seulgi would have thought he were just another tourist on vacation if it weren't for his red life guard uniform. He had dark brown hair that hung low in his eyes.

Still uncertain if  he was speaking to her, with raised eyebrows, Seulgi timidly pointed to herself while mouthing a quiet "Me?"  

The boy smiled again and began a slow jog up to her, his hair no longer in his eyes, but lightly bouncing up and down with every step he took. As he got closer, Seulgi notice  a name that read Kai was embroidered in his shirt. 

"Hi there," Kai continued. "I was just wondering... do you happen to have a bandaid?"

Kai was clutching his right knee. Genuinely concered for him, Seulgi was about to get a closer look when she was suddenly stopped midway. 

"Do you have a band-aid?" the boy repeated. "Because I think I scrapped my knee falling for you."  He flashed her another grin.

Seugli could feel a rosy scarlet color starting to pread across her heated cheeks.

She had to admit that the boy was pretty handsome. He had a very charming smile and his pearly whites contrasted nicely with his darker mocha skintone. His tanned arms were toned and muscular, joined to a nice slim, yet fit body. Like one of a dancer. Very handsome indeed. 

Only... it's too bad that Seulgi didn't swing that way.

Not knowing how to react, all she could do was let out a nervous laughter. It probably sounded extremely awkward and unnatractive. Similar to the bleats of a sheep. Maybe he would reconsider his thoughts about her after hearing that laugh? Seulgi mentally high fived herself hoping that it was true. However, Seulgi seemed to be wrong when she looked back up into the boy's eyes. After hearing her laugh, he seemed to have taken even more of a liking to her for her dorkiness, as she noticed his smile grow even wider, while a light tinge of pink coated his cheeks.

Dammit... Now what do I do? Seulgi thought to herself.

Thinking that her laughter was out of enjoyment from his pick up line, Kai decided to hit her up with a few more that he liked to keep up his sleeves. 

"I'm sorry." He spoke again. "Did I come off too strong?" He reached an arm up and scratched the back of his neck nervously. "I'm usually not like this. I'm actually feeling a little off today, but... you definitly ." He shot her another one of his signature grins.

Not knowing that it was even possible, Seulgi's face turned to an even darker shade of red. Trying to look anywhere but into his eyes, Seulgi noticed that the area of the beach where she was to meet with her surf instructor, was a few feet behind where Kai was currently standing. Looking past his shoulder, Seulgi was relieved to see her instructor waving her down, calling out to her to join him.

Realizing that Seulgi had a lesson to attend, Kai quickly moved aside letting the younger lady pass by, making a mental note to himself to find her again once his shift was over.

Before Seulgi could make it to her lesson area, she suddenly felt a strong hand wrap around her wrist, halting her movements completely. She let out a gasp, not because it hurt, but more out of surpise. Of course, when she turned around to see the owner of the hand, it was none other than Kai. 

"Wait" He spoke softly. "Before you go...can I take your picture real quick, to prove to all my friends that angels really do exist?"

Seulgi let out a soft chuckle. It was genuine this time, as she wondered to herself how he came up with all these ridiculous lines. Seulgi was about to answer with a cheeky reply of her own, when she was suddenly interrupted by her surf instructor once again.

                                                               ----------------------------------------------------------------

Seulgi had never surfed before, but didn't think it would be too hard for her to learn. Her logic was that since she was good at rollerblading, she would also be good at surfing, since rollerblades have wheels like skateboards do, and skateboarding was basically the same thing as surfing, except for that fact that it was on land. So, as a result of being a fairly decent rollerblader, she belived that surfing would be a piece of cake.

Wrong.

Her cheeks scorched with embarrassment as she continously fell off of her board, crashing into the cool water below her. Seulgi could see Kai watching

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter