FInal

Change
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Siwon couldn’t stop fidgeting , either tapping on his magazine or shaking his  leg. It was the good kind of restlessness, the exciting one.

He was finally meeting his friend after 8 long years.

“Ummm…..excuse me….your leg is going to knock my glass.” Siwon immediately pulled his leg to himself before it knocked his co-passenger’s table and consequently glass of orange juice. “You seem very happy.” It was then did Siwon finally get a good look at the passenger, a beautiful woman with bright orange hair. Yet, she was stunning, totally Siwon’s type.

Siwon immediately his charm, “Why wouldn’t I be happy sitting next to such a beauty.”

The woman laughed like he just said a joke, “I was expecting that.  All you men are the same. Well, there are exceptions.”

“Then that’s your fault for being so goddamn beautiful.”

“my sister is even more.”

“well, she’s not here, is she. I’ll just settle for you. So what’s your name gorgeous?” The woman again broke into a laugh, “What’s it this time?”

“Two things.” the woman showed him two fingers between laughs, “even if my sister was here, you have no chance. She’s happily married. Second, if you’re asking my name my disguise worked too well.”

“disguise? What, are you famous? Done tell me!” Siwon made a gasping sound, “you're a spy!”

The woman was again laughing, “I can see you're popular with the ladies. But I still want to know why you're so happy. Is it because of this man?” The woman pointed at the picture between the magazine. Siwon ignored the change of topic because it had come to his cherished topic.

He pulled out the photograph and showed it to her. There were two males, one of them clearly Siwon in his younger days and another man, “that’s my best friend. This pictures is from our high school graduation.”

“You're meeting your friend after graduation?”

“I haven’t seen him in 8 years but it’s not exactly from graduation.” Siwon put the photograph back in, “we’ve been friends since we were 5. His parents had divorced and he came to japan with his mother. We were neighbours so we became the best of friends throughout elementary and high school, then college and for a while even when we began working. But his father fell sick and he went back. We haven’t seen each other since then.”

“But you do keep in touch right?”

“through phone calls.”

“What does your friend do?”

“would you believe me if I said I don’t know?” the woman looked at him with a raised eyebrow. “hehe! We actually made a pact that we’d not share any personal details so we won’t try to change. When we meet again, we’ll still be the same.”

“that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.” Siwon was taken aback by her bluntness, “people change in 8 days. This is 8 years. You can’t expect your friend to be the same. You can’t be the same.”

“well, I am.” Siwon huffed. He was really turned off by this woman now. Why would His Yunho change.

Jung Yunho, was nothing less than a brother to him. They were joined at the hip, since the first day. they didn’t want to change in life, because they lived life to the fullest.

Start of High school, parties and girls were second nature to these two. By the time they were in college, drinking and clubbing was added. For the first year they began work, splurging on luxuries was added to the list.

People envied them because they lived life on their own terms.

Hence, when Yunho had to leave the advertising job in the Japanese firm he worked in with Siwon, they decided to stay the same and to ensure it they won’t tell the other what’s happening in each other’s lives. That way, they both assume that they haven’t changed.

Siwon glanced at the woman and found that she had closed her eyes and stuck headphones in her ears. With a huff, he slept too, deciding this woman was not worth it. He’s had better.

~~~ 

Siwon stood with his luggage outside the airport. He was waiting for Yunho to pick him up. Actually Yunho had promised to wait for him knowing the exact time of arrival. Even if the man was known to be wild, he was never unpunctual.

“Bye Handsome! Don’t forget to be open to change.” Siwon found that gorgeous woman from before wave at him while getting into limousine. From the people running around her, Siwon concluded that she’s rich and famous.

When she left, Siwon looked at the time. The plane did land a bit early but 15 minutes shouldn’t be this long. At the end of his patience, Siwon finally called Yunho.

The phone answered on the first ring and before Siwon could say anything, his friend spoke.

“I’m sorry, I’ll be there soon. Something happened-” Cue screaming in the background. Siwon wondered in Yunho knocked some kid down with his car or something, “I’ll be there in 10 minutes.” And he hung up.

Siwon stared at his phone a few seconds and shrugged it off. He has no choice but to wait anyway.

In exactly 10 minutes, a sleek black Mercedes rolled in front of him and Siwon smirked. Yunho hadn’t changed. He still liked Mercedes even though he graduated to a better model than the one he bought in Japan.

He put his bags in the boot and sat in the passenger seat. He smiled at his friend who looked like in the old days but more matured and classier, just like himself. Both had their longer dos replaced by shorter and styled hair, they still wore aviators like before and both sported similar jackets over their plain tees and ripped jeans.

“I was expecting a warmer reception.” Siwon joked.

“Later. When we’re out if this car. I tell you, it’s stylish and all but it’s not designed for tall people.” Yunho joked while driving out of the airport.

“what happened? I heard that screaming.”

“Yeah. I just came from the hospital. An accident happened on the way to pick you up.”

“I knew it. You're still a rash driver.”

“It wasn’t caused by me and I drive pretty fine thank you very much.” Yunho pulled over in front of a fairly large house, “we’re here.”

While Yunho got Siwon’s luggage, the man himself took in the house. It was a large and modern 3 storey house yet had this homeliness to which Siwon would attribute to Yunho.

“What’s this Jung? I didn’t imagine you’d live in a house with a white picket fence.” Siwon teased his friend.

“It fits the bill.” Yunho laughed. Just then, a black range rover pulled in, “Ah! Just in time.” The door opened and immediately a tiny human jumped out.

“daddyyyy~!” the child ran to Yunho and jumped in his arms. Siwon couldn’t understand what was happening in plain sight. The child showed his bandaged arm, “daddy, oo hurt.” The cute child pouted.

“I know Ducky. I was there. What did you learn from this?” Yunho squeezed the child.

“oos hurt.” The child said proudly thinking he was right.

“Not that ducky. Next time don’t run after your hyung. Hyung is older. He can take care of himself.” The child nodded. Yunho turned to Siwon, “Ducky, this is daddy’s friend. Say hello.”

“oos hurt.”

“Junsu.”

“Hello.”

“h-hello?” Siwon said nervously.

Yunho just shook his head expecting this reaction, “Siwon, this is Junsu. My middle son.”

“Middle?”

“Yeah.” He turned around and a beautiful woman walked to them. at her feet was a boy slightly older than Junsu and she herself carried an infant, “Siwon, that’s my eldest son Yoochun, that baby is Changmin and my wife Jaejoong.”

Siwon wanted to laugh and tell Yunho that his joke was good. But before he could, Yunho kissed the woman and Siwon found the wind knocked out of him. It may have to be with his friend suddenly not being wild anymore but it also has to be the way his wife turned to look at him.

It wasn’t bad. It was breathtaking.

She flipped her brunette hair to side and looked at her husband’s friend with such a bright smile and twinkling eyes. The baby tucked under her chin made the sight even better.

Siwon was broken out of his staring by a tug on his pants. He looked down to find the other kid smiling a toothy grin at him.

“Hello. I’m Chunnie. I’m 5 years old.” He showed 5 fingers then pointed at Junsu in Yunho’s arms, “ducky is 3 years and old” and he pointed at the baby in Jaejoong’s arms, “Minnie was born just now.”

Yunho rolled his eyes, “Changmin’s 4 months old. This kid likes him to stay small.” Yunho ruffled the eldest boy’s hair.

“yaaaa! Eung!” the baby whimpered and buried his head in Jaejoong’s neck.

“it’s hot. He doesn’t like it. Let’s go in.” She opened the door and the two kids ran away in separate directions with war cries.

“you’d think Junsu would learn not to run like that after just falling.” Yunho shook his head and helped Siwon bring his luggage in.

“I believe I’ve yet to welcome you properly.” Jaejoong put the baby in the playpen and walked to Siwon. Since Siwon wasn’t expecting to meet her, he didn’t know how to. He was going to offer a handshake but found her hugging him instead, “It’s so good to finally meet you. You talks a lot about you guys.”

“Fancy that. He doesn’t talk about you guys.” Siwon’s tone was almost accusing and while Jaejoong didn’t notice it, Yunho’s mouth was in a straight line.

“Now that you're here for good, we have all the time to know each other. I’ll show you your room first.” Jaejoong was pulling Siwon in the direction of the guest room but a squeak alerted the adults. “Of course you're hungry.” Jaejoong went and picked up Changmin, “Yunnie can you help your friend. I’ll fix lunch after I’m done feeding Minnie.”

“Yup.” Yunho led Siwon to his room which was on a level lower than living room. “This is your room and I hope you enjoy your stay at Chateau Jung.” Siwon took in the decent-sized white and cream hued bedroom. It had a queen-sized bed, a dresser and a sofa.  The closet and bathroom had been stocked for the new guest and the room opened to the deck and family pool. “ever since we told them you're coming, Yoochun stopped asking for this room. He doesn’t like his room is between the angry baby and the squeaky dolphin’s.”

“Well, I’m only here till my apartment is ready.”

“you said it would take a month. That’s enough for me to spend time with my friend.”

“oh! Now I’m your friend. Didn’t you consider telling your friend that you're married and have 3 kids?”

“Don’t get me started Choi.” Yunho gritted his teeth and glanced outside the door to make sure no one was listening, “I tried to telling you. Rack your brain. Every time I started you would bring up the damn pact and cut me off. If you don’t know then you yourself to blame.”

Siwon wouldn’t admit for his ego, but he remembers. Yunho would call him and say that he has something to say and Siwon would stop him.

Siwon sighed. “Fine. It’s not like I can do anything about it now.” Siwon sat on the couch, “so mind telling me how you went from a wolf to a puppy.”

“I’m not a puppy.” Yunho and Siwon cringed when they heard some crashing noises followed by a ‘daddyyyyy’. “Junsu’s probably buried under his toys again. We’ll talk tonight. Just get settled and come out to lunch.”

Yunho ran up to his second son’s room and Siwon just watched the same spot where he was standing. It was a lot of change to take in and he remembered the words from the woman on the plane.

He really should’ve been open to change.

“God! My brain’s fried.” He went to take a shower. He wanted to sleep off the uneasiness away.

~~~

When Siwon walked out of his room, he didn’t expect to be greeted by a dark house. He traced his steps to what he saw was the kitchen and found the small bar near the dining table was lit.

“you were really jetlagged.” Yunho chuckled while nursing his glass of whisky.

“Oh man! Did I sleep through lunch?” Siwon groaned.

“and dinner. It’s almost midnight.” Siwon reached for the bottle of whisky but Yunho slapped his hand away, “don’t let my wife’s efforts go to waste.” He pointed to the plates of covered food on the table.

Siwon reluctantly sat down to eat and Yunho placed a glass of wine next to him, “why are you still up?”

“figured you’d want to continue this afternoon’s conversation.” Yunho put his glass away deciding he’s had enough.

“so how’d you end up married? The Yunho I know couldn’t stick with one woman for more than 24 hours.”

“that was fine when we were still 22 and young. 30 is the time to settle down.”

“I’m 30 and have no plans to settle down. at least not for another 10 years.”

“that’s what you think. But life doesn’t go that way. Just look at my parents.”

“I was going to say the same thing. Look at your parents. See where their marriage ended up.”

“Are you trying to get me to leave my family?” Yunho said teasingly but there was a hint of warning in there which made Siwon gulp.

Siwon didn’t know what he was trying himself. He just told himself to get answers for now. “forget I said that. Continue.”

“See Siwon. My parents, they didn’t exactly have a bad marriage. If anything, they were too devastated by the divorce. My father wasn’t an ordinary man. He was an actor and quite famous too. Lots of crazy fans. There was an incident with me and his fans so for my safety my parents decided to divorce and my mother took me. Dad retired and started his own company for budding talents. But he fell sick and mom and I came back. She died right after he did and I had to handle the company. That’s where I met Jaejoong.”

“was she was a model or actress or something?”

“you’d  think so with her looks but no. in fact, she was the sister and assistant of one of the idols. Don’t ask about her sister. She’s crazy. She flirted with me to set me up with Jaejoong.”

“then how’d you end up with Jaejoong?”

“believe it or not, it was love at first sight. Even with her crazy banshee of a sister interfering. I asked her out in a week of seeing her. At first I thought it would be the usual ‘hit and run’ but I surprised myself when I found I couldn’t let go of her. We dated for 3 months till I ended up making her pregnant.” Yunho leaned closer and whispered conspiratorially, “don’t let any of the kids know, we married when Yoochun was 4 months old.”

“are you saying you wouldn’t marry if she wasn’t pregnant?”

Before Yunho could even respond to that, the lights , “Oh god you two!” Jaejoong shook her head, “this is not the time for heart-to-heat. You have all the time in the world now.” Jaejoong pulled Yunho by his hand, “are you forgetting it is Monday tomorrow? You have work and you're friend needs to sleep too. And before you come to bed, I fed and changed Minnie but he still won’t sleep without you. Make sure my baby is asleep.” She pushed Yunho up the stairs and glanced at Siwon, “don’t sleep on an empty stomach Siwon. Good night.”

“hmmm…..good night.” Siwon bid them for the night suddenly feeling this uneasy churning in his stomach.
~~~        

Siwon didn’t expect such a chaotic morning.

“hurry up, Chunnie. You’ll be late.” Yunho told his son between bites of toast. “Jae, aren’t you done?”

“Almost.” Jaejoong closed the box and put it on the table beside the other one, “both your lunches are ready. Suie, if you're cereal is not done in 10 minutes, you're not getting cookies.” The toddler stopped making swirly patterns with his milk and started eating lest his elephant shaped cookies aren’t given to him.

“aanyanyaaanya!” Changmin babbled from his high chair and swing his bambi plushy trying to hit Yoochun. The whole family was oblivious to Siwon standing there until Yunho spotted him.

“Yah! You sleep a lot. I have to go now but come by my office later.” Yunho stood up, shoved a toast piece in Yoochun’s mouth and grabbed his son and lunch boxes, “Bye bambi.” Yunho pecked Changmin’s forehead, “bye duckie,” Junsu pecked Yunho’s cheek and also Yoochun’s, “bye cutie.” Yunho kissed Jaejoong for a long time and rushed out.

“Mommy not fair. Daddy give you big kiss and only small kiss for Minnie and Suie.” Junsu accused making his mother blush.

“Yah! Eat your breakfast.” She turned to Siwon, “you want something specific to eat?”

“black coffee will do.” Jaejoong nodded and put the pot for brewing.

“help yourself to the pancakes.” Jaejoong put the steaming coffee in front of him and picked up Changmin, “I’ll give you the directions to Yunho’s office so you won’t get lost.”

“I’ll just tell the cab.”

Jaejoong shook her head, “Yunho is letting you use his Mercedes till you can get your car. Yunho says you have a very strict preference for cars.”

“that I do. Where did he go off in such a hurry?”   

“he drops Yoochun to school on the way to work. While his timings are flexible, Yoochun needs to be on time. Do you want me to pack you lunch?”

“I’m not a fan of home-cooked meals.”

“oh.” Jaejoong tried not to show she’s affected by Siwon’s sudden coldness. “I’m taking the kids grocery shopping. Is there anything you want me to get for dinner?”

“I think I’ll ask Yunho if he can hang out with me tonight.”

“okay. Just don’t stay out too late.”

“that’s what my mother used to say.” Jaejoong didn’t know for sure, but Siwon said it a bit mockingly. She just smiled it off, “I’ll just take the directions to Yunho’s work.”  Siwon stood up and took the car keys kept on the table.

Jaejoong put the piece of paper with the directions in front of him and took her children to Junsu’s room to get changed.

“Mommy, why ajhussi so rude?” Junsu asked while his mother put him in his new shirt.

“there’s no such thing baby. Let’s get you and your brothers new toys today.” Jaejoong changed the mood into a happy one in seconds.

~~~

“Dude! Where have you been? I waited all day for you?”

“aaaaand hello.” Siwon said sarcastically.

He was bored of waiting too, albeit just for 20 minutes. He went to his new workplace and check on the renovation of his new home before finally coming to Yunho’s office.

Yunho probably waited for him over lunch but Siwon avoided at the thought of eating Jaejoong’s bento. Yunho went on with his work and when Siwon arrived there, he only got to see Yunho’s face doing his various jobs until his secretary escorted him to his cabin.

While waiting, Siwon had to take in the various tasks Yunho did in his father’s entertainment company.
Yunho has always been creative and a man of many talents. But the two of them never used their energy in overstraining themselves. They just did the minimal assignments they were given in the advertising agency.

Over here, Yunho was not only the CEO but took a personal interest in his artists’ work. He was composing songs a lot like what he was doing in the studio when Siwon arrived. He used his dancing skills from high school to choreograph some routines. He could sing so he was a vocal coach to the trainees and even taught them dance. He directed concerts and never failed to keep the morale up of not only the artists but also the team.

“You’re quite a busy man.” Siwon remarked to him.

“it’s easy when you love what you do.”  Yunho replied. He did something on his computer and took his coat, “let’s go. I’m sure Jaejoong has made a feast.”

“I told her not to. Let’s go out.”

“Wait what? Why would you do that? I want to eat roast chicken.”

“we can eat that in a restaurant.”

“let me rephrase. I want to eat my wife’s roast chicken.”

“Come on! let’s go out. Just you and me. We haven’t got any ‘us’ time since I came.”

Yunho sighed, “you're right. Let’s go out.”

“Great. I found this club on the way here that serves the scotch I like.”

“Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Club? I haven’t gone to a club since….well, since Jaejoong.”

“you're wife got you on a leash Jung?”

“She’s not like that and I don’t go because I don’t need to nor want to. Let’s just go to a restaurant.”

“No. we’re going to the club. Just like old times. okay not exactly. You don’t have to pick up any girls. Just drink and dance and have some fun while being my wingman.”

Yunho thought over it and agreed, “okay. But we’re not staying out till 2 am like before.”

“done.”

~~~    

Yunho should have known better than to trust his friend. It’s pushing 1:30 and Siwon is brushing off any attempt to leave.

He began feeling uncomfortable being squeezed between two drunk women while Siwon was enjoying the same on his own end. Yunho looked at his phone and again replied to Jaejoong’s text so she wouldn’t worry. Yunho pushed the woman’s face away from his neck and the glass in front of him. He was done drinking for the night 2 hours ago.

“Siwon, let’s go. it’s getting late.”

“nononono! Me want martini.” At this time, Siwon reminded Yunho of Junsu, minus the martini part.

“It’s enough drinking. Let’s go.”

“Why such a hurry handsome?” a girl next to Yunho ran a manicured finger on his face seductively. Yunho caught that finger and threw her hand off.

“I have a wife and kids to go home to, unlike this buffoon.”

“yesh! This idiot is maaaaried. Such an idiot.” Siwon’s drunk talk elicited laughter from the women around them, “he marries that borrrring gurl. Now he hash 3-3 kids. well, she’s hot so I’d have many kids with her too.” Yunho resisted the urge to punch his friend for talking that way about his wife.

A girl wrapped her arms around Yunho’s neck, “I don’t mind you’re married. It’s a real turn-on.” She was about to kiss him but Yunho shoved her face away indignantly.

He stood up angrily and yanked Siwon by his hand, “that’s enough. We’re going home.”

“Nononono home no! Bad Jaejoong take my Yunnie away.” Yunho chalked it to the liquor and ignored Siwon’s talk as he dragged the drunken man to his car. He was about to shove him inside the car but Siwon twisted his body and escaped. “Yah! Come back here!”

“Nooooooo~!” Siwon ran like a madman in no particular direction. Yunho sighed and got inside his car. He checked his phone and cursed at the dead battery. Scowling at his friend, he started driving very slowly, just to be near his drunken friend.

As it is, Yunho wasn’t keen on getting that sloshed fool to his house full of kids. Yunho shuddered at imagining the kind of questions Junsu might ask.

~~~     

Yunho could really just put Siwon’s arm around his shoulder and make him walk. But where would be the fun in that.

He dragged the man by his jacket collar not caring about chaffing from the gravel or knocking aside Yoochun’s tricycle and Junsu’s trucks. He even didn’t mind the difficulty pulling his dead weight up the stairs and onto the porch. Once Yunho opened the door, he pulled Siwon in and left him on the floor of the entrance.

A quick glance at the digital clock amongst the various family pictures, and Yunho groaned. The numbers 5:38 blinking back at him mockingly.

“Yunho…..” Yunho stifled another groan and the urge to murder Siwon. Jaejoong looked at him with worry and sleep in her eyes and it didn’t take a genius to figure out she sat on the couch all night. She stood up and ran to Yunho, her movements awkward as her body was sore from sitting on the couch and sleeping. “Where were you? We were all so worried.” She hugged him and Yunho returned the gesture.

“Siwon, was being an idiot. He drank too much and wouldn’t come home.” Yunho buried his face in her fragrant hair to calm the headache he was starting to have.

“Yoochun wanted to go and look for you and you know how Junsu is, he wanted to go after him. I had to literally lock the two of them in their rooms before they ran out of the house.” Jaejoong whined and the frowned. Her head was resting on Yunho’s chest and she could see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter