Xiusoo : Blink Twice

66 Possibilities

Inspired by this gif

Xiusoo (Kyungsoo/Minseok) : Blink Twice

 

Kyungsoo and Minseok weren’t friends at first. Minseok was so much older than Kyungsoo when he first moved into the house next door, even though Minseok looked young and had a nice smile. And Kyungsoo didn’t know what to do with someone who couldn’t talk. How could they play?

But after about a year of living in the house next to Minseok’s, there comes a day when Kyungsoo has to be friends with him. Minseok’s mom had to go to the hospital, and Minseok has come over to stay. Kyungsoo tries to understand the things that Minseok does with his hands, but it’s a lot to learn and he gets so frustrated that he cries. But Minseok doesn’t get mad, despite the fact that Kyungsoo is six years old and shouldn’t be crying. Instead Minseok wipes Kyungsoo’s tears and hugs him. Then he goes to Kyungsoo’s computer and prints out a piece of paper, and he hands it to Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo looks at the paper. It has the alphabet on it, and each letter has little dots and dashes next to it. Kyungsoo reads the big letters at the top of the paper. “Morse Code?”

Minseok nods, and reaches into his pocket. He pulls out a little flash light key chain, and shows Kyungsoo how to use the flashlight to make dashes and dots. Kyungsoo’s not great at spelling, but they spend so much time practicing letters that it doesn’t seem to matter. When Minseok does have to go home, Kyungsoo cries again and pleads for Minseok to stay a little longer.

The friendship that began on that night only grew stronger. Kyungsoo learned Morse code and sign language, and he and Minseok had even more ways to communicate as they grew older. They’ve been friends for years, despite their . They’ve had countless sleepovers and adventures in the city, and there have been moments where they cried on each others shoulders. There was even one time where they had a really scary moment when Kyungsoo ran to Minseok’s house, panicking because his mom and dad were an hour late from their date and he couldn’t get a hold of them. It all turned out alright, but it was Minseok who held Kyungsoo until he calmed down. They’re at the point where Kyungsoo really can’t imagine his life without his dear friend.

And sometimes, Kyungsoo finds himself staring at Minseok for a little too long, or he gets a warm feeling in his chest when he thinks about Minseok’s beautiful eyes, or he gets reminded that someday he and Minseok might have families, might not see each other as often anymore, and his chest gets tight and he barely manages to keep from crying. He always hugs Minseok a little tighter on those days. And sometimes, Kyungsoo wonders if this is what it’s like to be in love.

 

Now Kyungsoo is beyond crying when Minseok has to go home. At 19 years old, that would be kind of embarrassing. Besides, Minseok going home doesn’t have to mean that their conversation ends. They have email, and texting, and flashlights. Minseok stays for dinner and goes home, signing to Kyungsoo that they’ll talk later. When Kyungsoo goes to his room at night and turns off his lamp, a light flashes from Minseok’s window almost right away.

‘I MISS U’

Kyungsoo laughs and picks up his flashlight.  ‘MISS U TOO’

‘R U COMING TMRW?’

‘YES’

‘GOOD’

Kyungsoo puts his flashlight down and gets ready to go to bed. But then he sees the light flash again. ‘WHAT?’

The lights flash slowly, but the message from Minseok is unmistakable.

‘GOOD NIGHT, I LOVE YOU’

Kyungsoo stands in his room in shock. He repeated flashes his light to spell ‘WHAT? MINSEOK? R U THERE?’ But he doesn’t get an answer.

The next day Minseok and Kyungsoo meet at their friend’s birthday party. Lu Han is turning 21, the same age as Minseok, and he’s making a big deal out of all the guests being old enough to drink. Which is why Kyungsoo is so confused when Jongin and Sehun are at the party.

“Everyone is old enough!” Lu Han shouts, shoving a drink in Kyungsoo’s hands. “Who’s going to arrest us? Besides, Jongin and Sehun are good boys. By the way, Minseok got here two minutes ago. He took off to the kitchen.”

Kyungsoo dashes off and finds Minseok chilling out by the fridge, eyes glued to his phone. It takes a few minutes for Kyungsoo to even get up the courage to walk up to him.

“Hey,” Kyungsoo says.

Minseok smiles nervously.

Kyungsoo starts signing. ‘Why didn’t you answer me last night?’

Minseok signs back, ‘I don’t know.’

Kyungsoo looks him dead in the eye. ‘You said you love me.’

Minseok looks around the room nervously. He holds up his phone, and Kyungsoo reads the wall of text he typed up.

‘After I left your house I came home and had a beer, then my dad got out the liquor and I drank with him. Not a lot, but I was tipsy. It’s not that I didn’t mean to say that, I just didn’t mean to say it like that. As soon as I realized what I had done I was mortified, and I’m really sorry I ignored you, but this isn’t how I wanted it to go. I’ll talk to you about it, but can we please not do this here?’

Kyungsoo hands Minseok his phone back and grabs his hand. “Come with me,” he says, and Minseok walks with him upstairs. Kyungsoo tugs him into Lu Han’s room, and he shuts the door.

“We are going to do this here,” Kyungsoo says, “Because I want an explanation.”

Minseok goes deathly pale and Kyungsoo backtracks.

“Hyung, I’m not going to start screaming at you. I just…I’m confused. Please tell me what’s going on.”

Minseok stands there, looking lost. Then he signs, ‘I don’t know when it started. I just know that I love you. And I’m scared that now that you know, we won’t be friends anymore. I was going to wait to tell you, until I had some idea if you felt the same way.’

“How would you know that if you didn’t ask me?”

Minseok has tears in his eyes and he starts signing faster. ‘I don’t know! Maybe I’m making excuses, I’m really, really scared, Kyungsoo! It’s one thing to be my friend, it’s another thing for me to ask you on a date! I know what people say about me and I don’t want anyone to live with that!’

As soon as he’s done signing, Minseok’s hands fly to the collar of his sweatshirt and he pulls it up to his chin, something he always does when he’s feeling self-conscious. For as long as Kyungsoo has known him, Minseok has never been without some kind of sweater or scarf that he can use to hide his scars. When Minseok was a child he got on the wrong end of some firecrackers, and his throat and jaw have extensive scarring from the accident.

Kyungsoo can’t stand to see Minseok in such a state. He hugs Minseok tightly and presses his face to Minseok’s neck. Minseok gasps and drops his hands.

“Are you listening?” Kyungsoo asks.

Minseok lets out a breathy little sound, one of the few noises he can make.

Kyungsoo keeps his mouth pressed to Minseok’s neck. “The truth is, I’ve been falling for you for a long time. If you hadn’t said something, I probably would have. I know what people say about you, too, and every time I hear it I want to kick those hare-brained idiots in their idiot faces because they don’t know you. And if they did know you then your scars wouldn’t matter to them.”

Kyungsoo leans back and Minseok wipes tears off his face. ‘That was nice,’ he signs shyly, ‘I could feel your voice in my throat.’

Kyungsoo smiles. “You liked it?”

Minseok nods.

“Good,” Kyungsoo says, “I’m going to do it again.” He swoops in and presses his mouth to Minseok’s neck. “I love you too.”

Eventually the people downstairs realize that the two of them are missing. Lu Han finds the two of them curled up on his floor, playing with each other’s fingers and exchanging loving glances.

“YOU TWO ARE CUTER THAN KITTENS,” Lu Han shrieks, and he’s not even upset that they essentially missed his party.

 

When Kyungsoo is 21 he gets an amazing opportunity. After moving in with Minseok and essentially mooching off of him for six months, Kyungsoo gets hired, and knowing Morse code comes in handy when he joins the Navy. It wasn’t his first choice, and he knows that he’s going to have to be away for long periods of time. And he knows that it’s going to strain his relationship with Minseok. He tries to be strong for both of them, but a week before his first day on the job he breaks down in tears and sobs that he doesn’t want to go.

But Minseok dries Kyungsoo’s tears and smiles at him. ‘I’m so proud of you,’ he signs. ‘You’re serving our country, and you’re going to be brilliant at it.’

Kyungsoo sniffles and clings to Minseok’s hands, his beautiful hands that Kyungsoo loves so much. “But I’ll miss you. I don’t say it as often I should but I really, really love you, and you’re my best friend, and I’m not the most social person in the world, and I just know I’m going to be so lonely!” He crawls into Minseok’s lap and clings to him, as though afraid someone will come and drag him away. “What was I thinking? I can’t believe I signed up for this, I must have been out of my mind!”

Minseok rocks Kyungsoo gently and rubs his back. Kyungsoo burrows into Minseok’s sweater and whines again that he doesn’t want to go. “I’m acting like a child, I know, but I’m really going to miss you.”

Minseok pushes Kyungsoo upright and signs to him. ‘I’ll miss you too, but you won’t be gone forever. And this job doesn’t have to be forever. If you’re really unhappy, there will be a chance for something else. You’ll build experience, and then you’ll be able to do what you really want.’

Kyungsoo wipes his eyes. “And…you’re okay with waiting for me?”

Minseok smiles brightly. ‘Yes, you’re worth waiting for. I’ll always wait for you.’

And the next day Minseok helps Kyungsoo get dressed in his uniform, and tells him that he looks so handsome and dignified. Kyungsoo doesn’t feel dignified as his heart breaks and he wonders again what the hell he was thinking. Minseok snaps a picture, and they have one more kiss. Minseok drives Kyungsoo to the shipyard, and stands with the crowd of family and friends that’s come to see the sailors off.

Kyungsoo stands by the railings, squished between two men larger than him, and locks eyes with Minseok. He waves frantically, and Minseok’s eyes find his. Minseok points to his eyes, and starts to blink. Even from far away, Kyungsoo can read his message.

‘I LOVE YOU.’

The tightness in his chest goes away, and is replaced by burning warmth. Kyungsoo smiles, really smiles, and blinks back.

‘I LOVE YOU TOO.’

He’ll be back soon, and Minseok will be there for him.

 

 

 

I found the gif in this post

 

MINSOO IS ADORABLE!