Chapter 1

Forbidden

Her long black hair shined under the practice room light. Her eyes glittered at the sight of him and his eyes reached out to touch her face. She bit her lip before smiling cutely, “Hi, Jongdae. My name is”
 

She never finished her sentence.
 

Jongdae woke up with a start and hit his head on ceiling off the small bunk bed. A deep pain spread throughout his head and he immediately ducked down. He should’ve been used to this daily routine by now. He opened his eyes against the bright light and she had disappeared. Jongdae was back in his dorm room with the rest of his trainee friends. Weird dreams had been forming in his head for the past two weeks. Every night, the same girl appeared in his dreams. He never saw her eyes, because they always hid behind her long hair. Everytime he had tried to touch her, he woke up. Jongdae closed his eyes for the second time.
 

“Wake up, kids! It’s almost ten!” Baekhyun’s voice resonated throughout the dorm room and immediately he heard groans from the other side of the room. He forced his eyes to open and immediately grabbed his cell phone, which he kept right under his pillow every night. The bright light of the cell phone hit him directly in the eyes and he cringed. The picture of him and his mother illuminated brightly in the dark room. The sun had still not risen, but Baekhyun was already in the morning making a small to-go breakfast for the twelve of them. Jongdae checked the time. He his mom's face on the phone and sighed. He was still a little bit homesick.

He missed the comforts of home and the scent of his mom's breakfast wafting in from the kitchen. Jongdae sighed and pushed his blankets to the side, climbing down the bed without noise so he would not wake up Minseok. Jongdae ruffled his messy bed hair and grabbed his towel to get ready for the day. Some of the trainees were already inside of the bathroom brushing their teeth while others showered right in the same room. They had approximately two hours before they left on their way to the company, so Jongdae quickly took out his toothbrush and asked Kyungsoo for some toothpaste.
 

“Can I borrow some?”
 

Kyungsoo gave a grunt in response and handed it to him. He had dark circles under his eyes from lack of sleep. He had been spending some late nights trying to practice his singing. The singing instructor had scolded Kyungsoo for not improving his range in a week. Jongdae frowned, “You should come home early today and sleep, Soo.”
 

He shook his head and spit out the toothpaste, “Jongdae, I need to improve more. You out of all of us should know that. She did compliment you the most, you know.”
 

“Soo, it’s not like that—” Before Jongdae could even finish his sentence, Kyungsoo was already done rinsing his mouth and making his way out of the bathroom. He frowned and sighed; although he did have the highest range after taking vocal lessons, Kyungsoo had the most emotional and soulful voice he had ever encountered. If anything, he should have been the one to be scolded. Chanyeol patted him on the back.
 

“Jongdae, don’t take it to heart. He’s just having a real hard time right now.”

“I know.”
 

Jongdae sighed again before setting the toothbrush into his mouth. When he was finished, eggs were set up at the table with white rice steaming off of it. Some groaned, knowing they had to lose some weight for the end of the month evaluation. Baekhyun grinned at his cooking skills and turned back to washing the dishes. Some of the eggs were slightly burnt, but they were still grateful for his effort. Waking up early and making a meal for twelve growings guys was not an easy task. Minseok ate a spoonful of rice and left the rest for the younger trainees.

“I’ll be going out first. Luhan, come out when you’re ready.”
 

Everyone quickly grabbed their training clothes and shoes after breakfast and ran down the stairs of the dorm complex to the two company vans waiting outside for their arrival. The eleven boys scrambled for the best seats as a daily routine. Minseok had already rested his head against the door of his seat listening to music on his headphones. Once they arrived at the company, they continued the set routine they had been doing since they signed their contracts. They checked in at the main office through the back door of the building to avoid any fans of their seniors. They all said their small tired goodbyes and hurried to their first class of the day.
 

Jongdae and Baekhyun used the elevator to the fourth floor of the building to the dance room where they started out their day. Dancing was not a strong trait of his, but it was something he hoped could improve in the future. He spent countless nights alone in the practice room (occasionally with Chanyeol) dancing until his legs gave up on him for the night. As they entered, half the class was already spread out across the room in their own little groups.  Water bottles were spread everywhere and their teacher was nowhere to be found. It was an all-boys class, so there were no girls to converse with. The only time they affiliated themselves with the girls were at lunch time, or if someone managed to hold a relationship with another trainee.
 

The teacher walked into the room with a smile on his face, escorting in another teacher. The female teacher smiled at everyone as she entered. A group of girls were quietly chattering amongst themselves and staring as they quickly followed after her. Baekhyun glanced over at Jongdae in confusion before raising his hand, “Teacher! What are we doing today?” He followed with a smirk toward the girls.
 

He laughed and motioned his hand towards the female teacher to explain. She nodded and called for everyone to gather up. The girls also seemed a bit confused by the merging of the two genders. Jongdae glanced over at everyone and immediately, his eyes laid on her. He wasn’t fully certain, but she had the same long hair and pink luscious lips. The girl who introduced herself every night to him. The female teacher grinned, “Everyone, we are going to start a new dance unit today. You guys might know it as ‘couple dancing.’ There are some certain elements to this type of dancing because you’ll not only work in your own little group, but with a partner of the opposite . You’ll have to learn how to work together in only a pair to fully bring out the expression of a choreography. I’ll explain more, but first, let’s get you guys into pairs.”
 

Jongdae glanced over at her once again and as she turned, he was caught off guard by her pretty bare face. Compared to other girls, she wore nothing to impress. Her eyelashes were naturally long and she had cute small eyes that curved when she smiled. She was whispering silently to her other friends. The girl turned to face him and he immediately snapped back to reality. “Jongdae, you’re with Seulgi.”
 

He stood up and looked amongst them again to find out who she was, but she was the one who approached him first. There was a series of cooing in the group and some guys seemed a little jealous of him. As she came up closer, the more she started to look like the girl in his dreams. There was a tap on his shoulder and he turned around in confusion. Baekhyun eyed Seulgi and smirked, giving him a thumbs up. Jongdae gave him a confused stare before they were all called to the front of the class. He was amazed at how close he was to her; only by a few inches.
 

The teacher scanned the class, satisfied with the pairings, “Let’s begin class! Introduce yourselves to each other if you guys don’t know each other already. We’ll begin after you guys get a little more comfortable with each other.”
 

Seulgi immediately turned to her partner and smiled. He seemed a little shy at first but immediately opened up once their eyes met. His short black hair was swept to the side and his small smile seemed a little cute. He stuttered a little bit before sticking out his hand, “Have we… met before?”
 

She hid her small smile and shook her head, “I’m Kang Seulgi. I’ve been training for about five years now, and I’m born in ’94. You?”
 

A grin grew across his face but he embarrassingly hid his face, “You’re probably more experienced than I am then,” He gave a slight chuckle, “I’m Kim Jongdae. I’ve been training for about two weeks, and born in ’92. Nice to meet you, Seulgi. It’s okay if we use informal speech, right?”
 

“Of course... Are you good at dancing?” She gave him a cute eye smile.
 

Jongdae shook his head in answer and she laughed. Class started right away and Jongdae could already feel himself falling for the girl. They just immediately clicked. It seemed a little cliché, but the way she looked at him with those eyes just made him happy. When she danced, every movement was precise and powerful. He still had a lot to learn. They were introduced with their first couple assignment and immediately began working to present at the end of month evaluation. She gave him lots of pointers and started something that they didn’t think would ever end.
 

When they both started to practice outside of class, Jongdae was hesitant to tell her about the dream he had been having prior to their first meeting. He was tying his shoelaces when she came into the room with two water bottles. He thanked her and they sat in silence for a while. Jongdae blushed and set down his drink.

“You know, Seulgi, before we met…”
“Hm? What is it?"
 

Jongdae hesitated and turned the other way, “I started to have this dream about this one girl. She would always try to introduce herself to me but I always woke up before she got the chance. She was very pretty, had a gentle touch, and… yeah. You resemble her a lot.”
 

He thought she would give him a weird look, or worse, think of him as a creep and never talk to him again, but she simply just laughed, “Me? She reminds you of me? I’m flattered, Jongdae.” Seulgi cutely giggled to herself and laid an arm over his shoulder.

“Now, let’s get practicing. In your dream, did she ever dance as good as me?”

Jongdae smiled and they both went on to practice.

For the next six months, the two were inseparable. At lunch, the two talked non-stop trying to learn more about each other. Every night, they stayed a little bit after classes to work on their routine or to just talk, simply about life and missing the comforts of home. By the third month, Jongdae had fallen in love. He asked her to be his girlfriend, and she immediately agreed.
 

It got to the point that every night when Seulgi got back to the dorms, she would stay up nights just to text him more. They would talk about trainee drama going on, how much they loved each other, and that if they were ever to separate, they would never forget each other.
 

Seulgi

But hey, that’s silly Jongdae. Why would you ever leave me?


Jongdae

Of course I never would… Just that, if I had to one day...

 

Seulgi

You would ever forget me though, right?


Jongdae

Of course. Because I love you.

 

Seulgi

I love you too


Jongdae

You should go to sleep… it’s already three in the morning Seulgi


Jongdae

Dream about me~~~~


Seulgi

Gross. I’ll go to sleep. You need sleep too.

 

Seulgi

I’ll see you tomorrow


Jongdae

I’ll see you in my dreams
 

That night, Seulgi shed tears. The thought of Jongdae leaving her was a thought she had never thought of. At that moment, she was definitely in love. He was more than she had ever imagined.

Seulgi learned more about his loving mom in Gyeonggi province. She learned more about his sweet, loving personality and the way he smiled at the things he loved to do. He was always singing whenever possible, and she never got tired of listening to his sweet voice. The way he always cared for her whenever she got too exhausted or hurt from late night dancing.
 

Jongdae learned more about her passion for dance. He learned about her outgoing personality and quiet side when she was in deep thought. The way she would focus on her drawings when they had free time. When the sparkling eyes and smile that he fell in love with were gone, he would immediately worry even if she was a little bit tired.

The two were just a trainee couple following their dreams to debut and achieve happiness.

But what would happen if the other were to just… become distant?