how to cleanse your face

The Beauty Bible

how to cleanse your face

1. Wash your Hands
                    Be sure to thoroughly wash your hands before you begin to wash your face. You do not want to risk transferring any bacteria, dirt, or oil from your hands to your face.
2. Remove any Makeup
                    Before you can wash your face, remove any makeup you may have on. You may use a wipe, such as Sephora's Express Cleansing Wipes ($9), or a makeup remover, like Clinique's Take the Day Off Makeup Remover ($9.50), and a cotton ball/pad/swab.
3. Wet your Face

                    Begin by splashing your face with some water. Use only lukewarm water or cool water. Never use hot water as hot water will leave micro-scars on your skin and cause irritation.
4. Massage 

                    After your skin is wet, use a nickel-sized amount (or one full pump) of your cleanser and lather it in the palm of your hand, so that the cleanser foams up. If your cleanser is already foamed or cannot foam, you may skip this step. Once the cleanser is foamed, dot the cleanser onto your forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin. Massage the cleanser onto your skin gently. For your cheeks, use gentle upward and outward (diagonal) motions. Move onto your forehead and temples and use gentle circular motions. Then, massage down the length of your nose and thoroughly massage the sides of your nose. Finish off with massaging around the mouth area. Massage for at least 30 seconds in total to allow the ingredients of the cleanser to activate.
5. Rinse your Face

                    After massaging your face, splash your face with some lukewarm or cool water to rinse your cleanser off. Rinse thoroughly and make sure no cleanser residue is left. 
6. Pat Dry
                    Once you are done with washing your face, gently pat dry your face with a clean, dry towel. No matter what, do not rub or tug. 
7. Tone

                    Wet a cotton ball or cotton pad with your toner. Hold the cotton ball/pad between your fingers and gently swipe over all parts of your face using similar motions used to massage the cleanser. For your cheeks, forehead and temples, go upwards and outwards. Go down the length of your nose. Run the cotton ball/pad outwards at the sides of your nose and mouth area. 
                    Finish off by giving your skin a gentle massage. While your face is still damp from the toner, run your hands softly from your chin upwards to your cheeks along your jawline to give a lifting effect. Continue by running your hands upwards and outwards (diagonally) from the sides of your nose and cheeks to your jaw and ears. Then run your third and fourth fingers across your eyelid and under-eye area with slightly upward and outward (diagonal) motions. Do the same for your forehead with all your fingers. Remember to be gentle and do not rub or tug.
                    Once you begin to feel resistance, this lets you know that the toner is drying. Do not run your hands against your face anymore. Instead, use your fingertips and gently tap over the entire surface of your face. This promotes blood flow to your face, and helps yours skin better the absorb the ingredients of your toner.