n i n e

absolute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So, how was the date?" Jongin asks as he looks to the girl beside him who's glowing as brightly as ever since yesterday. He's glad that she's happy, and even though she doesn't say it out loud, he and everybody else could tell she has been acting differently. But still, it's a good kind of different.

And even though neither Soojung nor Myungsoo didn't tell him anything about the date, he's smart enough to notice they went home together last night. And even from far, he could tell that they were really happy, so bright that it was almost as bright as the moonlight. He doesn't remember how long Soojung hasn't felt that delighted before. But Myungsoo's there and he knows everything's going to fall into places again. They're just meant to be, Jongin believes.

"What date?" Soojung asks, clueless. She then looks up from the oven to his face, and he has this silly, teasing kind of smile on his lips. She seems to get it what he actually means, and she's having a hard time suppressing herself from smiling back. "I have no idea on the date you're talking about Kim Jongin, and what's with that smile?" She says, finally averting her gaze from his face.

Jongin’s smile turns even wider as he purposely bumps his shoulder to her. "Oh come on! I'm sure you know what date I'm talking about!" He says in a teasing manner as he looks at her on the face, slightly amused because she actually can hold her smile in.

He's still smiling, but this time it isn't a teasing one, it's a genuine one. He's happy because Soojung is happy, and he thinks back when the last time she’s that happy. It's been a long time, he remembers, and he as a best friend, really glad Myungsoo happens because it means that Soojung's back as well. It's amazing how one person can turn us into someone else, someone better just by existing. Being in love always seems so beautiful and he wonders when it will happen to him.

“Okay, first, it wasn’t a date and second, please stop smiling that kind of smile. It makes you look weird and creepy.” She says, trying very hard not to crack a smile. She manages to put on a blank face, though. “Okay, seriously, Kim Jongin, just stop, alright? Let’s get back to work.” She says in a serious tone, indicating that she has no time to play around and he decides to let it go this time.

He makes a face. “Geez, alright.” He then goes to the store, meanwhile she goes to the front.

She’s at the counter, and when she looks up, she gasps, completely shocked as she looks to the guy who’s standing in front of her. She couldn’t help but smile, though. God, why does everything so hard when it comes to him? She feels her heart blooms when he returns the smile right back at her. “What are you doing here?” she asks, her voice shakes slightly, feeling nervous out of a sudden.

He shrugs. “Well, I’m kind of craving for hot chocolate, so...” he trails off, staring at her face, long and in silence, and then he wonders, how does it feel to wake up and see that face early in the morning every day? That must feel like in heaven.

She unnecessarily scratches her head, slightly weak in the knees by the stare. She clears then. “Umm, so only hot chocolate?” she asks, very thankful there’s no customer yet because it might be inconvenient if they have to wait for a long time. It’s only 7.15 in the morning, though. The bakery will only be filled with customers around 7.30.

“Well, can I have a special order as well?” he asks, raising his eyebrows with a smile hangs on his lips.

“What kind of special order?”

“Well, I’d like to have two hot chocolates, two sets of butter cookies,” he says, reading it off from the menu, and then he looks back at her, who’s staring at him questioningly.

“Two?” she asks.

He nods. “Yes. So, two hot chocolates, two sets of butter cookies,” and then he smiles again to her before he continues. “And you.”

Soojung feels like she’s running out of oxygen.

+

She puts the tray of his order on the table he’s sitting at before she sits across him. And when she looks at him, her heart starts to race by then, and she feels like a sick high school girl who’s having a crush on a popular boy who plays quarterback but also good in Math. She thinks she’s going crazy, and to sit in front of him right at the moment is even crazier. How the hell his words can affect her as horrible as that? She has no idea.

Distance between them is only filled with silence, but it’s not an awkward kind of silence—it’s a comfortable one, somehow. That kind of silence that gives serene. They never look at each other in the eyes because one of them will avert the gaze if they ever lock. It’s kind of funny, and she has to bit back her smile, while he’s not afraid to show that he’s amused with what they’re doing. And then he gives up. “God, please say something.” He says, sighing but still smiling.

She finally laughs before she takes a sip of her hot chocolate, eyes never directly on his face. “Well, good morning.” She says.

“Good morning to you too.” He replies.

They eat after that, laughter of happiness fills in between every bites, and Jongin who’s at the counter, could see how happy, how contented the two of them with each other. He thinks they’re beautiful when they’re together— glowing, even. He wishes they could be like that until eternity runs out. If they never make up again, he’s very sorry to say, but they’re stupid if they do so. If you like someone, then just go for it. Fight for it. He shakes his head after that, thinking that he’s overreacting, but of course he does—it seems like they’re just there and none intends to make a move.

“Does Krys a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter