And So It Begins

Some Kind of Wonderful

He had been thinking about his conversation with Myung Soo a week ago.

 

“Just why did you do that?” Myung Soo asked, catching up to his brisk walk.

“Did what?”

“You usually don’t bother girls,” Myung Soo paused. “But why bother Cha Eun Sang?”

He stopped dead in his tracks. “I’ve been asking myself the same thing,” he shrugged.

Myung Soo frowned at him. He shook his head. “I don’t know, maybe I was just curious how I would feel if I embarrass her like that.”

Myung Soo frowned deeper. “What do you mean?”

He shrugged and continued walking as if the conversation never happened.

Myung Soo caught up to him. “You should go apologize to her, you know?”

He laughed. The suggestion sounded absurd. “Are you kidding?”

“Seriously, man. You should apologize to her.”

He whipped around at the suggestion. Myung Soo added, “didn’t you see her face when she walked out of the cafeteria?”

He frowned. Something about what Myung Soo said must have triggered his guilt, so he looked around for Cha Eun Sang.

“Hey, Rachel! Have you seen Cha Eun Sang?”

Rachel looked at him suspiciously, but, she told him anyway. “She’s at the washroom, I guess.”

He rushed to the washroom, but, as soon as he reached the door, all his resolve of apologizing to her flew away.

He locked the door from the outside just in case Cha Eun Sang came out of the washroom before he could even formulate his apology.

But Cha Eun Sang started turning the door knob even before he could think of what to say to her.  

He heard her turned the doorknob. “Huh? What’s wrong with this door?”

He heard her turned the doorknob again. Again. And Again. And Again. “What is this?” he heard her behind the closed door.

What would he say if she asked him what he’s doing here?

Would he say he was here to apologize? That’s just absurd. He blamed Myung Soo for even planting the idea in his head.

Overwhelmed because he was not able think of an apologetic statement, he asked her to apologize to him instead.

“You’re locked in there until you apologize to me,” he told her.

 

He shook his head to clear the memory off.

For days, he couldn’t shake this guilty feeling off. He thought that after he embarrassed Cha Eun Sang in front of everyone in school, he would feel okay because that would mean Kim Tan would be hurt and annoyed as . That would mean he succeeded.

He couldn’t understand, though, why he kind of felt bad for Cha Eun Sang. Why in heaven's name did tripping her over upset him, too? He shook his head to shake the feeling off.

He was curious about Cha Eun Sang, sure. He just did not understand why her opinion about him kind of bothered him. He never cared about anyone’s opinion about him before, so why would he be bothered now? A charity case’s opinion about him shouldn’t bear that much weight, should it?

The sky made a rumbling sound and he looked up. The clouds looked like they'd break soon and he'd have to rush home to avoid getting caught in the rain. He only brought his motorcycle to school, so he could not risk getting drenched in rain while riding.

Earlier this morning when he waited for her at the gate, he was tempted to apologize. He did not want to understand why he felt apologetic, so he shrugged it off.

 

“Hello, Cha Eun Sang!”

Cha Eun Sang gasped at the sound of his voice.

“Choi Young Do! What the—”

Cha Eun Sang stopped in mid-sentence when he took her hand and put a dollar in there.

“Now, where’s my ID?”

She made a face and rummaged through her backpack. “Here’s your ID,” she said, smacking it to his chest.

She tried to walk past him, but, he stuck out his foot to trip her only to save her with a hand-grab.

She gasped then jerked her arm back as soon as she calmed down. “What the hell, Choi Young Do?”

“Be careful. You keep on tripping over someone’s foot,” he laughed.

“You tripped me, stupid!”

"I saved you," he retorted.

"Wow. Is everything you do double-sided?"

Before he could even think of a clever come back, Kim Tan walked up to them.

“Why don’t you just go on ahead, Choi Young Do? You have more students to bully.”

He sharply looked at Kim Tan and started to walk away from them towards the gate.

 

He almost jolted when his phone chimed, signaling he had a text message. It brought him back from his reverie.

There was no way Cha Eun Sang would see him here, up on the gym's rooftop. She was sitting on the corner bench, reading a book, headset on her ears. As if reading alone was not enough to shut the world out.

Cha Eun Sang tied her hair in a ponytail, but, Kim Tan appeared from out of nowhere and sat beside her. He untied her ponytail.

Cha Eun Sang looked lovely today---hair tied in a ponytail and loose in seconds because of Kim Tan.

"That Kim Tan is resplendent," Choi Young Do thought.

Cha Eun Sang stood up and held out her hand to Kim Tan, which, the latter gladly took.

While walking, Kim Tan was busy untying her hair and stamping on her school shoes.

Kim Tan took a bad step forward, and Cha Eun Sang lost her balance. He caught her with a strong arm around her waist.

He shook his head. "Don't they just shine together?" he thought sarcastically.

"They look good together, don’t they?"

Choi Young Do wanted to whip around at the voice, but caught himself. Didn't even bother turning his head. "Hello, Rachel."

"Stop wasting your time," she said, sounding exhausted. "Cha Eun Sang is his closest friend now. It’s only a matter of time before he thinks she's his destiny."

He frowned at her.

Rachel shrugged her shoulders, “Cha Eun Sang is pretty. And to be fair, she’s got a personality.”

“He won’t be able to help it,” Rachel added.

"I know," Choi Young Do said, walking away from the view. "Neither will I."