---

What Lies In Between

 

They say love is something that knows no limitations, qualifications and standards. Money and time; different words that comprises different meanings yet each plays a tremendous part in our relationships with certain people. Named as some of the components in every affair, they have become extensively emphasised by people who obviously has their respective reasons. Whatever the bond is, strengthen romantically or not, these two factors remain to be some of the most common reasons for most relationships to fall and break. These variables create conflicts which results to misunderstandings between individuals.

Based on the society’s modern way of thinking, one’s financial status is greatly considered and evaluated even before entering a relationship.  While time, which happens to be an essential in every relationship, stays to be one of the most common root of break-ups and separations. The infinite issues revolving around these elements were given an ocean of attention due to its undeniable capability to create, mend and even shatter relationships.

It was proven that financial status and time were once blamed for a couple’s best days to reach its end. Jackson Wang, a graduating college student from a state university works as a part time barista in a famous coffee shop in the middle of the city. This 21 year old guy stated his relationship experience with a girl named YoungjiHeo. Being an only child, Youngji grew in an upscale environment. Her parents were bank officials and she was raised with all the possessions that she yearns.

Everything started when Jackson attended his regular shift during the peak hours of the café. The weather was uncanny that day. It rained early in the morning until evening. With his kind of atmosphere, the said coffee shop earns three times higher or by luck, four times bigger than their usual daily income. As the shop closes, all the staffs gathered on a spot. Few more talks and they’re all bound to go home. It didn’t take too long for Jackson to ride a bus and sat there for a couple of minutes before reaching his dorm.

Inside the bus, Jackson sat on an empty seat near the second door. All of a sudden, his cellphone rang. He lazily pulled it out from his pocket. “Hello?” he answered without bothering to look at the name on the screen.

"Jacks! Why aren’t you answering my texts?!" a familiar voice spoke. There’s no need for Jackson to guess or ask. He has mastered all the changes in that particular sound. He knew every tone, every intonation and even the way she puts her rests on every word. Jackson breathed out. “I’m sorry, Youngji. I’m so busy earlier. Too much work to deal with today." he replied, expecting for his girlfriend to understand his situation like she always does.

Youngji sighed. “Is it really hard to look at your phone for a while? I mean that won’t take more than a minute!” she demanded. The annoyance and disappointment was very visible within her tone. Jackson felt upset as well. He’s so tired from his part time job and from school then he’s going to face the issues that he girlfriend threw.  “What part of ‘I’m so busy earlier’ can’t you understand?” he sarcastically responded.

"Fine. "Youngji gave up. Maybe his boyfriend was really busy. "So where are we going tomorrow?" she followed.

Jackson closed his eyes yet he furrowed his brows. “Tomorrow?” he intrigued, scratching his nape.

"Don’t tell me you forgot that it’s our anniversary tomorrow!?"

Oh. Shoot. Jackson opened his eyes and tried to recall the date. March 30. Anniversary it is. He was about to think of a place when something came up. He can’t let anything come this. “It’s the start of my midterms tomorrow.”

"After school?" she suggested, still hoping to spend more time with his lover. "I have work." the man said. Youngji never felt this frustrated before. She hates it when Jackson chooses other things more than her. Although she understands that Jackson need to earn money for his tuition. But she’s tired of being a third wheel in Jackson’s serious relationship with his work and studies. "Jackson Wang! It’s freaking Saturday tomorrow! How come you’re going to work?!" she tried to keep her voice down.

Jackson exhaled. “I have to go to work! If we work on weekends, we’ll get a bonus! Remember the payment for the organization project? I have to pay for that within next week.”

A deep sighed was made. Youngji had enough for this day. She wanted to throw her phone out of the window and let the cars run through it. “You know what? I understand that you have to work for your tuition, other expenses and stuff —”

"Are you regretting that you loved a less fortunate like me?" Jackson interrupted, making the entire issue worse. Youngji never said that in the first place but because of Jackson’s annoyance and stress, he ended up spitting those words. "What the hell are you saying?!" she protested, knowing that Jackson’s taking it too far.

The line got a little choppy. “I’m not like you! I’m not rich. My family doesn’t own a bank at the center of the city! I have to work for my own! You promised that you’re going to be with me in this.” Jackson got off at the bus stop near his dorm. He with his umbrella, he continued to walk half-heartedly. “I’m not asking for anything much, Jackson! I just want to spend more quality time with you!” Youngji explained. Her voice trembled and her breathing hitched.

 

He reached the door of his down. Plunged the keys in the knob and turned them right. He instantly laid down his small bed and closed his eyes, his phone still pressed against his ear. “Let’s just talk tomorrow. I need to sleep now. I’m really tired and I’m not in the mood to talk.”

"No, we have to solve this now!" Youngji answered loud enough to wake Jackson’s half sleeping brain. "I’m not like you! Some guys can survive without their seeing girlfriends for weeks and you’re maybe one of those, but I need affection and attention too! It’s not enough that you just shower me with ‘i love you’ and other words."

Jackson will never understand the mysteries of girls. “Stop being completely possessive. I’m not going to leave you for someone else. I just need my priorities settled right!” he defended himself in a way that won’t hurt his girlfriend that much.

“Whatever. We’re done!” and Youngji ended the call.

 


Next day, Jackson lazily dragged himself to work. He’s completely lacking of motivation. He tried to call Youngji by the time that he woke up but all of his calls were ignored. He took his exams with his brain not on its proper mind-set. It might sound odd, but when he woke up that morning, he realized alot; about their relationship, his life and his unfavorablebehavior last night. Now, he understands why her girlfriend needs more of his time. It’s because they’re different from most men. Girls crave for a certain kind of endearment. They need an assurance that they’re never neglected. And clearly, girls are more sensitive when it comes to relationships. Jackson mentally kicked himself. He should’ve thought of everything first before reacting like mad cow.

A fellow worker welcomed him, Bam. “There’s no need for extra workers today, dude! You can go home and rest or spend time with your Youngji.”

 “Youngji…” Jackson mumbled.

The atmosphere sunk. “What happened?” Bam intrigued.

"She’s mad at me. We had an argument last night and I admit it’s my fault. I’m too tired that I ended up throwing sharp words. But why can’t she understand that I have to work?! I have to earn and save money! I can’t skip this job and take her out for a date whenever she wants to. I’m not the type of person that spits money with just a snap."

Bam nodded. “I’m pretty sure that he understands your situation. To be quite honest, it’s not just about time and communication and stuff. I believe financial status really plays a huge part in relationships.” he commented while playing with a loose string on his apron. “We’re not as rich as them. They are different from us - in many ways. You should be driving an expensive car, bringing her a bouquet of roses and artisan chocolates and taking her out of the city for a pricey date. But you can’t because we’re from a different scheme! You are here, working every night to support you schooling. See the difference?!” he added.

"We’ve been together for 2 years. I just can’t believe that we’re ruining all that built with just this stupid matter."

“Time doesn’t mean anything. My parents shared 12 years together but they still ended up divorcing. It’s not about the years or decades or whatsoever. As long as the both of you are satisfied and happy with your bond, then it’ll surely last long.” Bam replied.

Jackson bobbed his head. He stayed inside the cafe and busied himself with work. He’s getting an extra pay for this, though. He felt so down that even the manager saw the changes in his actions.

 

A month gone by and Jackson finally believes that everything between him and Youngji was absolutely over. No more calls, texts or anything. He convinced himself that he can never win the girl back for the reason that he’s not capable of providing her needs, material or not. One night, when the store closed, Jackson headed to a nearby convenience store and bought some supplies. With great shock, he saw Youngji. She was with a man named Bobby. Bobby is a son of a CEO. He studies in the same college that Youngji attends and they’re really rich. Well, that college is for rich kids in the first place. Now he believes that wealthy people are undeniably attractive.

 

When they’re out of sight, Jackson went straight to Bam’s apartment. There he cried his heart out.“I saw her with Bobby! Come on, guys! We all know that I’m a lot better than him!”

Bam rolled his eyes and rested his head on the wall. “But you’re not wealthy. Bobby doesn’t have to work to get money, he can spend more time with Youngji and he can buy anything that Youngji wants! If I were to date someone, I want that person to be in the same level as me. I hate dealing with issues especially if it involves money and social status. Everybody has their own standards. Some yearns for people who are wealthy, though we can’t judge them since they have their own personal reasons. But the bottom line is that admiring wealthy individuals is part of the society’s modern way of thinking." Bam explained and Jackson agreed.

When his friend drifted to sleep, he went home alone, feeling betrayed and hurt. He can never blame someone else for the insufficiency that he’s facing. All that can do at the moment is to accept and move on with his life.

 

6 months passed. Jackson got promoted as the kitchen supervisor of the cafe as it expanded into a restaurant. For the past months, his salary got higher. Although he can support his need now, thanks to his savings, he still works 24/7. It’s a way of giving back all the help that his place gave him. His grades got better and in the next 2 months, he’ll be climbing up the stage, get his diploma and receive all the bragging rights for being an honor student. Truly, there’s nothing more he could ask for.

A Friday night when he’s on his way home from work, he sat beside a girl who happened to be sleeping inside the bus. Her head was faced down and it sways as the bus moves. Jackson was around to approach the girl and ask her to sleep on his shoulder instead when she looked up and stared at Jackson.

"Jackson —?!"

"Youngji… "

 

 Despite the fact that they no longer feel that certain bitterness, it’s still quite uneasy to talk to your ex. It’s been 9 months since their last conversation. “How.. How are you?” Jackson felt brave for a while. He needed to. Youngjismiled; a smile that Jackson missed a lot. “I’m good! You?”

He sighed. “Same. Still single.” he muttered without thinking twice. After hearing Youngji’s sweet giggle, he realized that he mouthed out the wrong words. He blushed and completely regretted everything. He scratched his nape and covered his face for couple of seconds, earning a series of laughs. “Well, me too.”

Jackson widens his eyes and removed his hands off his face. “But how about Bobby —”

 

"We dated for like… 2 weeks? Then I found out that we’re not compatible." she declared with a calm expression. She flashed another smile and Jackson did the same. With his brain totally mixed-up, he suddenly felt the urge of talking about matters that made his heart cave in several months ago.

"About last time… I’m really sorry. I messed everything up. " he mumbled.

"I think it’s my fault too. I’m sorry." she answered and Jackson nodded. He was so happy that finally, the unsaid words were now released. "Are you still mad at me?" Jackson asked.

"Time already healed everything, Jacks. If you don’t mind, we can —"        

"Let’s start again, Youngji. Please!" Jackson begged. He was hopefully sitting there with his hands clasped together. Youngji laughed for a while but she nodded after. "Friends?" she asked and offered his hand. Jackson felt so happy that he was like floating on air. He took her hand and shook it lightly. "Friends. But can we just upgrade it to ‘a little more than friends’?

Before the girl could reply, the bus stopped on the bus stop near Jinyoung’s apartment. “I’ll see you around!” Youngji said. She waved a little and beamed at Jackson. “Can you please drop by at the shop tomorrow evening? I know I’m asking for too much but…please?” he said, standing up but his eyes were still focused on the other. Youngji smiled. “Sure”

 

Based on the story, I therefore conclude that financial status and time contributes a lot in certain relationships. Time is an essential. 

According to Carmelia Ray author of “5 Essential Early Relationship tips you MUST know right now!” on tips #2: Spend & Make quality time for each other, its says that For any relationship to grow, you need to spend quality time with one another. If you are unable to spend a lot of time with one another because you are in a long distance relationship, make sure that you read our long distance relationship tips. You are in the early stages of a budding relationship, so making time for one another not only shows that you care for this person, but it’s an excellent way to develop your friendship and get to know this person to determine compatibility. If you are like most people who are very busy, you may want to dedicate a date night with your partner, and be sure that you can stick to your plans.

Girls usually demands more time for a simple reason that they year for more affection and needs more assurance from their partners.

On the other side, Financial Status; Some people will outwardly insist that money shouldn't be a dominating factor in relationships, but in truth, issues around finances can create a wedge. Both men (84.6%) and women (83.4%) agree that money can make or break a relationship. This is according to the survey which conducted by Michelle Smith of creditdokey website.

Money can make or break a relationship which is the sad part. Nowadays people are moving in because of financial convenience and not out of love. The first date is consisted of questions about money. They want to know how much money you make. I’ve been on so many dates and they’re nothing but money dates. It’s sad but that’s the reality of dating scene is 2009 according to an article of bukisa website.

Financial status does affect a relationship and so does time. A strong relationship isn’t just a matter of time, a length or span of years, it’s all about the unconditional love that a couple would share.

 

I have some tips for you in choosing a partner to prevent this time and financial problems in a relationship.

 

  1. Must have enough time for you.  (Come on! Your mom didn’t endure the excruciating feeling of giving birth just for you to be an add-on in someone’s ill result of time management.)
  2. Must have a decent job (or else you’re going to live a pitiful life and die poor)
  3. Must have be mature and understanding when it comes to handling the relationship, including personal issues. (No one wants to spend their lifetime with childish people, right?)
  4. Not judgemental. (Unless your partner is a judge, maybe that’s an exemption)
  5. Knows how to deal and settle his priorities right. (Deal or no deal, take it or leave it. As simple as that. G?)