A Girl's POV (Shadow)

Unrequited Love

It’s fascinating, trying to look at the world from another’s point of view. Looking at the world through his outlook made mundane things she sees everyday suddenly turns magical, because she was now seeing it through new eyes. She was seeing it through his eyes.

---

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Luna was drumming her fingers incessantly at the table as she stared at the clock on the wall.

Fifteen minutes to five. Fifteen minutes more for the bell to ring. Fifteen minutes more to go. Fifteen…

The teacher kept talking nonstop in front of the classroom, lecturing something about the basic of integration. But Luna wasn’t listening. She tuned it all out, save for the ticking clock on the wall.

Eventually her tapping fingers became in tune with the clock’s ticking.

Tick. Tap. Tick. Tap.

Unknowingly ten minutes had passed with the ticking and tapping. Luna stared harder at the clock, willing time to go faster.

Five more minutes now.

Four.

Three.

Two.

One.

Right on cue, the school’s bell rings exactly as the long hand of the clock strikes twelve. A loud commotion broke out as all the students stood and started to pack their bags.

Luna jumped up from her seat and shoved everything into her bag. But before she managed to close the zip, Victoria ambled towards her, leaning her hip on Luna’s table.

“Hey, Luna! The girls and I are going to the mall after this. Come join us.”

“Can’t,” Luna smiled as she picked up her bag. “I got something going on!” She yelled over her shoulder as she ran towards the door.

“I got a date.” She sang to herself as she ran all to way to the school’s gate.

Luna was panting by the time she reached the gate. Short of breath, she leaned against the side of the column, away from the view of people.

Then she waits.

And wait.

“Yah, Jinki-ah! Let’s go and play soccer this evening, neh?”

At the sound of his name, Luna’s ears perked up, and she peeked from her place behind the column.

A group of boys was passing through the gate, chatting and laughing and fooling around. And he was there, right in the middle of them.

“Nah, I’ve got to get home. See you later.” The boy named Jinki smiled as he shook his head, declining his friends’ invite and waved goodbye.

Then he was walking forward, the smile still in place. Luna smiled too, coming out of her hiding place.

No, he can’t join you guys. Because he have a date, with me.

She skipped towards him, her footsteps light as she followed him, step by step. Staring at his back, walking in sync, without even a word between them. That’s Luna’s date with Jinki. And no one has to know. Not even Jinki himself.

Yes, you’ve guessed it.

Name: Park Sunyoung

Nickname: Luna

Occupation: Full-time – student,

Part-time – Lee Jinki’s stalker

She knows it was wrong. Well, at least she was sure it couldn’t be right. But she can’t help herself. It’s like, she’s obsessed with him. But not like those crazy sasaeng fans of the idols. She just liked to watch him.

And follow him.

And think of him. All the time.

She didn’t remember when she started this…infatuation. Maybe it’s when she first saw him, running down the hallway to get to his class and then tripping over something, probably his own feet. Or probably it was at their school’s annual soccer competition, where he helped up a fallen player from the rival team.

Or perhaps it was that time when he performed on stage with his class’ choir group, his face serious yet full of emotion as he focused on the song, his angelic voice distinct even through the harmonious mash up of others’.

Yes, maybe it was then. Maybe that’s the moment when Luna realizes she can’t take her eyes off of him. Maybe then that she found herself trying to find some way to always cross his path, be in the same room as he is. Maybe starting from then she started to wonder so much about what his profile, his interest, his dislikes that she began a full on investigation to find out all she can about him. Like his name (Lee Jinki, but also known as Onew), his birthday (14th December), his blood type (O, the noble ones), his favorite color (yellow, bright and warm just like him), everything she could think of to ask anyone who know him. Maybe she even managed to secure his class schedule by sneaking into his empty classroom during the PE period. Maybe she did do all that to try to get to know him. No, she definitely did.

So that's the story of how Luna fell in love with a guy without knowing his name, without knowing anything about him. And when she did know, she found out that it's too late to go back, she'd fallen too deep.

She can’t stop herself.

Because he’s so special to her. So different from the others.

When he walks, he walks with his face tilted up, as though he’s trying to feel the sun on his skin. Then a small smile will curve his lips, like he enjoyed it.

Sometimes, he ran his fingers through his dark, brown hair. Messing it up, as though he didn’t realized he’s doing it. His hair will stuck out at odd angles, but still managing to look as though he deliberately styled it that way.

Then when he reached the row of hawker stalls by the side of the road, he’ll stop by to buy some snacks and chat with the ahjummas. She knew that food was his fondness. It’s clear to see when he ate with great enthusiasm, to the point where he’ll be shaking a bit, a little dance of happiness.

She knew all those little things that he does, because she kept watching him. Kept following him until she felt like she knew his habit better then himself. But just when she thought she already knew him inside out, he’ll throw her off guard by doing something utterly unexpected. Like suddenly sitting down on a bench by the park, just plain staring into space. Or going around a block totally out of his way, without stopping at any of the shops there. And there’s also that time when he seemed fixated by a bookshop’s display.

He’d stop and stared at the bookshop window display for so long, that when he finally move again, Luna hurried to the window, curious to see what got his attention. Finding nothing peculiar, she was just about to turned away when she saw a quote, probably from one of the books on sale, scrawled on a small chalkboard at the side.

Don’t be afraid. We are a fate, tied by the sun. We are meant to be together.

Luna knew it was silly, but she felt as though the quote was referring to them. After that, she’d rewritten the words so many times, all over her textbooks, over her notebooks, even on her table, in hopes that it will come true. Until her friend, Amber had jokingly said that it was Luna’s new motto. She smiled, but didn’t explain the meaning of the words. It’s her secret, just like Jinki. Only hers.

And she thought she knew him well. She knew him so well. His smile. His laughter. His unconscious gestures. Because when she looked at the mirror, she started to see those things in herself, as though she’s mimicking him. The way he smiled with his eyes. The way his lips will stick out a bit as he frowns. Or maybe, she watched him so much that she started to resemble him unknowingly.

She followed his steps, one by one. Wondering where he’s going. Because for all those times she’d followed him, she never seemed to manage following him the whole way, until he reached his destination. Sometimes she gets distracted by the things he sees, sometimes the traffic separates them, and sometimes he just seemed to disappear entirely. It does make her wonder if it’s just her imagination, just her dream. But the next day she’ll wait at the gate, and there he’ll be. Then the pattern will start again.

Just like now.                                                               

She always kept a proper distance between them, so that he will not notice her. She always made sure that she could conceal the fact that she was stalking him. But sometimes when she had no place to hide, she wondered if he’d become aware of her presence, and she wondered what she’ll do if that’s the case. And sometimes, when she boldly walked closer to him, she felt like she didn’t want to hide. She wanted him to notice her.

Like now. She wasn’t actually hiding now. In fact, she was following quite closely, just a couple of meters from him, in plain sight should he happened to look behind him. Today, it seems like they’re taking a detour to the nearby park. She watched him smiling at some passersby, and Luna felt something bubbling inside her. Fascinated, that he could smile so easily to anyone he met. Envious too, because she knows that no matter how hard she tries, she could never smile a smile that could light up her whole face, like he did. His smiles are like a beacon. She knew she could never shine as bright as he did.

She could never work up her courage to just step up to him and say, “Hello, I’m Luna.” She felt she was just too plain, too subdue, and she will never be good enough for him. Simply put, he’s out of her reach, like the sparkling stars to the earthbound human.

In the end, because he shone so brightly, all she can ever be is his shadow.

But she didn’t mind. For her, this is enough.

---

Inspired by: f(x)'s Shadow

A/N: Just a short one-shot/drabble :)