Too Eager

Too Eager

Another all-nighter.

Jinhwan was used to it by now, but after having an entire week off, his body clock got thrown off. Seeing as every minute was spent laying in bed all day with you, cooking with you, watching movies with you, etc… Needless to say, he wasn’t too happy to go back to work. Even after the company let the first day back be some team bonding time, Jinhwan would much rather be in bed right now.

He knew you had classes in the morning, not to mention his own schedule at the studio at 8am, so he didn’t dare try to text you. Education is important, right?

Jinhwan sat back in his chair. He tapped his pen on the desk anxiously. 

Everyone was doing their own thing despite it being so late. Hanbin was writing with help from Bobby to test how everything sounded. The maknae line was cooking midnight snacks for everyone to enjoy as they worked. And there he was with an empty notepad, laptop open, room temperature tea, and his mind somewhere else.

He sighed, pulling his beanie over his eyes. His fingers twitched over to his phone. He wanted to call you so badly just to see how you were doing, if you ate already, if you missed him because he definitely missed you.

On queue as he tossed his phone back on his desk, his phone jumped, vibrating loudly on the wood.

He picked it back up almost instantly as your name flashed on the screen.

Careful not to seem too eager, Jinhwan held the device up to his ear.
"Hello?"

Oppa…” Your groggy voice cracked through the receiver.

He chuckled at your exhausted demeanor. “_______? Is everything okay?”

I can’t sleep.” You sighed. “Am I bothering you?

"Not at all." He grinned to himself.

I thought maybe it’d be easier to fall asleep if I talked to you." He could hear you moving around your sheets. "What are you doing?

Jinhwan leaned forward, putting all the pressure on his elbows so he could be comfortable. “Writing a little. Mostly just sitting around. Hanbin and Bobby are derping in the living room so I wouldn’t be able to sleep even if I tried.”

"Tell Hanbin I said hi." He could hear the smile in your voice. "I haven’t seen them all in so long.

"They miss you." He rested his head on the desk. "I miss you."

I miss you, too, Oppa.

"Want me to come over?"

The question caught you off-guard. Usually whenever Jinhwan worked, he put all of his effort into it. You understood completely, and only called at night so he could tell you about his day.

You don’t have to." You lied. You really wanted him to come over actually.

"Donghyuk is calling for me." Jinhwan sat upright. "Call me later if you still can’t fall asleep?"

You tried hiding the disappointment in the voice. “Oh. Okay. Goodnight, Jinhwan.”

"Goodnight, love."

**

You tossed around your bed, throwing your pillow up in the air and catching it just to pass the time. Even though your boyfriend said you could call again, you forced yourself not to. He was probably busy, and with his debut steadily approaching, he needed to be focused.

"Why. Can’t. I. Sleep." You smacked your head down on the mattress. It had to have been the tea you had earlier. Who knew Earl Grey had as much caffeine as a cup of coffee? Certainly not you.

You turned over, nuzzling your face into your comforter. If Jinhwan was here, you could fall asleep in an instant even if you didn’t want to.

After ten minutes had passed in silence, you managed to flutter your eyes shut, but only enough to make you even sleepier. Your mind was wide awake despite how tired your body was.

The bed sank. And while you brain started panicking, you stayed limp at the hands of your memory foam mattress.

"Good thing you gave me a spare key." A pair of arms coiled around you. One arm slid under your neck, fitting perfectly in the space in between. The other draped over your waist. The hoodie you work hiked up slightly, revealing your stomach, and hand connected to the arm on your waist started rubbing warm circles on your skin.

"That better be you, Jinhwan, or I’m about to get my pepper spray." You smoothed your cheek over the cloth of his shirt before turning over to face him.

Low and behold, your boyfriend laid beside you in the dark with a small smile on his face. “Hi.”

"Hi." You giggled.

"Still can’t sleep?" He prodded.

"We’ll see." You buried your face into his chest, the familiar scent of his lavender drier sheets filled your nose. "How did you get away?" You spoke with a muzzled voice.

"Apparently, the recording studio made a mistake with our schedule. I’m free until tomorrow night." He kissed your hair, leaving a fuzzy feeling to spill down your neck.

You looked up at him, just studying his face in silence in the dark. “You missed me that much?”

Jinhwan chuckled sincerely before planting his lips on yours softly.

"You have no idea."