Karma

Beautiful Heights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    Walking along the corridors of where she spent all her time, a small framed angel kept to herself - her head downwards. Her long medium brown hair waved lightly, the wings at her back were a sheer white, giving a glint as the light hit it. As she stepped from the hall into a chamber, the other souls took only a moment to glance at her. 

    This is what some called Heaven. To her, it was Home and sadly there was only a few people here she could really talk to - two of them being Father and Mother. They weren't really her parents, but rather two of the oldest angels that guide the angels and souls along. Are you confused yet? Angels and souls are different, if you must know. All Angels were souls but at some point Father and Mother had asked them to become angels. But, let's be more specific -hm? 

   There are billions of souls, maybe even trillions and all pass through Home. When someone dies, their soul comes back to Home and waits for their name to be called out so that they can be reborn. Wait, name you ask? Every soul has a 'name', not the name they have on earth, but a name that is just them. And this is why there is a log for every soul found in the Records Vault.

Souls often come and ask Father and Mother "Why do we always end together? Are we meant to be?" And all Mother can say is yes. 

"There is such a thing as soulmates," she'd say. "But just because you two end up together, doesn't mean you always will."

    What she meant was this - some souls are naturally compatible with each other. And there's a tug, a pull - like a magnet - that happens when two are in the same area, at the same time. But because every life they live is diferent from the last, it's hard to tell if they will be together or not. How do they know that they were together though? When you live a life you don't see the soul behind that person you only see them as they were. Like an actor and their role. However, every soul (and angel) has a log, an archive, that tells the story of their lives and loves and losses. As if to tell them 'this is how you lived' since they often will never remember all their previous lives, . But what determines who is a soul, and who is an angel?

    Angels are asked by Father and Mother to join them. Sometimes souls "retire" into living as an angel, other times they'll fade away and a new soul is born. And sometimes, like this particular angel, their name was never called as a soul and so they move on to be an angel slowly, taking on a certain role. She still remembered the words Father said that day.

"Your heart is pure but you ache, you do deeds to help others but they overlook you. Maybe you could help others by teaching them their wrongs and helping them to improve."

    And so father gave her a role, Karma - helping to keep the balance of good and evil deeds in the world, to try to make an impact on the souls while they were there - and so she was named Karmalia or Karma/Karm for short. But what Father never expected was for her time away from life to make her 'heart' pure, but locked in a vault as if frozen in time. She slowly forgot the feelings of what it meant to be alive but she kept her values fresh through her work.

    Karma glided along, taking a peek at those around her. It figures, she thought, that everyone is beautiful here. If only their hearts were always so beautiful. During her few hundred years of being an angel, and a soul, she was often at the scrutiny of the others. At this point she went to step through an archway, tucking her sheerly white wings close. Whispers filled the hallway, floating from the group of souls at the end.

"Are you going to tell her that Cael?"
A male's voice, low but clear spoke confidently."Tch. I'll do it right now."
"Do it!" The group burst into laughter and excitement. 

    I can feel where this is going. Trying to avoid the soon be confrontation, she made a side step towards another archway. She'd take the long way to her work space. Or so she thought when a hand reached out and forcefully turned her body towards his, her head still downward. 

"Look up Karmalia. I have a question for you." 

    The voice was the same of Cael's - the arrogant, confident sounding boy. Her gut feelings had never been wrong before and so although she wished not to raise her head, she did so anyway. Be polite, and treat others the way you wish to be treated. Or prayed they'd treat you. As she looked at the soul's appearance she stared at what must of been his first form. A blonde haired, green eyed European fellow with the very slightest hint of color on his skin - like he took a jog in the morning time. She noticed him almost immediately as a soul who often pulled selfish stunts. One that needed to be reminded karma was real, and unless he f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter