CH 08

Immortals

The Capital Square bustled with an energy that was unfamiliar to Sungyeol and Yeoreum. It was scary, especially in the evening like this.  Walking there hadn’t been too exhausting, but it was the looming Capital Building that scared him. The walls were made of stunning, stainless glass and he couldn’t see inside of it, but he knew that people could see out. What if someone was watching him at this very moment? He wouldn’t know – he would never know.

But Yeoreum tugged him along through the bustling crowds to where the beer was sold. She ordered three kegs of it and fished a handful of copper and silver coins from her pocket to pay for it. “I’m glad you came with me,” she said as the merchant was preparing the beer kegs.

Sungyeol looked at her in confusion. “Why? I usually go with you to Capital Square.”

“Yeah, but you’re leaving tomorrow,” she replied softly. “And I don’t know when I’ll see you again.”

“Don’t be silly,” Sungyeol tried to laugh. “Myungsoo and I will come back and visit.”

“But after you get out of the walls can you get back in?” she asked seriously. “Will I ever see you again?”

Sungyeol embraced her lightly and kissed her forehead. “Of course you will,” he replied. “I’ll see you guys again for sure.” But Yeoreum only sighed and Sungyeol pursed his lips together. “The beer is ready, let’s go.”

“Okay.”

They took the kegs and loaded them into a wagon they had brought and started making their way out of the square. It was quiet between them, but Sungyeol wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing. The wagon squeaked behind them as they shouldered their way through the bustling crowds of people. Sungyeol had never liked the Capital Square. It was too crowded.

It was a wonder why the Capital Square was so different from where they lived. Sungyeol felt like the Capital Square should have been more luxurious. There should have been better living standards but it was just as dirty and grimy as where they lived. All of the luxury was in that damned Capital Building. The tall tower that loomed over the entire town like it was a stake stabbed straight into the heart of the city. And the city rotted while the Capital Building just sat there, watching over them, doing nothing, and just calling everyone else useless pumpkins.

How ironic, thought Sungyeol as he passed by a stand selling pumpkins. There were guards standing around the booth, like they had authority. They were disgusting, standing there and drinking for the fun of it.

“Oppa,” Yeoreum murmured, “let’s buy some pumpkins. The old lady looks like she could use the money.”

Sungyeol looked at the haggard old woman standing behind the pumpkin booth. He nodded at her and the two of them approached the old lady who looked overjoyed at customers.

“We’d like to buy four pumpkins,” Yeoreum said nicely, placing some money in the old woman’s scraggly hands.

Sungyeol loaded the pumpkins into the cart along with the beer and tried to ignore the stench of those dirty, drunk soldiers watching him and his sister wordlessly. The way they looked at his sister disgusted him and he hurriedly placed the pumpkins on the cart.

“What are we going to do with four pumpkins?” Sungyeol asked her.

Yeoreum shrugged and replied, “Maybe we’ll make pumpkin pie for once. Or carve jack-o-lanterns.”

“Not even close to October,” Sungyeol chuckled. “But okay.”

“Hey there, girl, want to hang out?”

Sungyeol grimaced in disgust as Yeoreum scooted closer to him. She shot a look of disgust at the soldier who had called out to her. The guards looked young, reckless and irresponsible. The weakest guards were stationed at the Capital Square after all.

“Don’t make eye contact, Yeoreum,” Sungyeol muttered to her as they started to walk away.

“Where do you think you’re going?” one of the guards called out. “C’mon and spend some time with us, darlin’!”

Yeoreum gripped onto Sungyeol’s sleeve. “Hurry up.”

Sungyeol stumbled with a shout as Yeoreum was yanked back from him. “Yeoreum!” he exclaimed.

“Hey!” she screamed. “Let go of me!” She wrestled her arm with the guard who had grabbed it.

He yanked at her forcefully and laughed with his guard friends, infuriating Sungyeol. “Hey, let her go! You can’t grab her like that!”

“Says who?” a guard laughs. “Come on, there’s nothing wrong with some fun and a pretty face. Let’s go somewhere else, hm?”

“No!” Yeoreum spat, yanking her arm free with a grunt. “I would never go with you disgusting pieces of crap anywhere.” There was a crowd that was starting to attract now, people staring and pointing fingers.

The soldier laughed at her mockingly, trying to look like his ego wasn’t offended. “Don’t be like that, sweetie – do you think you can talk to me like that?” He raised his hand aggressively. “Do you think we have to take like that from people like you?”

Yeoreum scoffed at him, picking up the keg of beer she dropped. “You’re not taking , you are .”

The guard glowered down at her and raised his fist as if to strike. “Why you little–”

Sungyeol rushed in front of her, grabbing the guard’s fist to stop him. He glared at him with a cold sneer. “Don’t,” he seethed, “you dare hit her. None of you,” he said, glaring pointedly at each of his cronies, “get to touch her.”

“What are you?” the guard asked violently. “Her boyfriend?” His tone was menacing but his eyes looked frightened and his fist shook. Sungyeol knew that this guy was an idiot.

“I’m her brother,” he corrected harshly. “Which means that you definitely aren’t allowed to touch her without her permission.” He shoved him off roughly, feeling pride as the guard fell onto the ground. He didn’t register the gasp of the crowds behind him.

“What a peasant! Where do you live?!” the guard demanded. His cronies helped him up, the murmurs of the crowds making them uncomfortable. The soldier’s eyes were shifting from side to side, like he was nervous. “I’ll make sure you pay for this. You won’t see the end of this.”

“It’s none of your business.” Sungyeol grabbed his sister’s hand and dragged her away. Come on Yeoreum, let’s go.”

The guard yelled out, “You’re the one who made it my business! You’re going to regret this!”

Sungyeol flipped him off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So, do you want to tell me why exactly you’re doing this? Scouting by yourself, I mean. Our recon team is already out – I don’t get why you need to be out here too.” Dongwoo leaped to another rooftop, Hoya by his side. It was easy coming to the decision to accompany Hoya out into the dark night but it was more difficult trying to find the reason behind Hoya’s sudden recon mission. “Plus, shouldn’t you be preparing everyone for the raid in a few days? It’s not tomorrow, is it? No, it’s the day after tomorrow…”

“It’s been a long time since you’ve been out on recon, hasn’t it?” Hoya chuckled alongside him.

“What makes you say that?”

“You talk a lot for someone sneaking around.”

Dongwoo rolled his eyes, glad that his mask could conceal the smile that graced his features. It seemed as if lots of their tension had been eased from one simple conversation and they understood each other better now. It was funny how five minutes of simple talking could dissolve months of misunderstanding. There was a sense of peace between them now.

“So, why are you doing this?” Dongwoo repeated. He followed Hoya quietly on the rooftops, making sure his footsteps were soundless. “You never go on recon by yourself.”

“It’s a favor,” Hoya replied. He breathed through his nostrils quietly, pulling the black mask on his face higher. “For Myungsoo.”

Dongwoo paused in his steps. “...Myungsoo? What does he need a favor for?”

“Nothing much,” Hoya said. “He and Sungyeol are planning to break out and live on the outskirts. I’m trying to find the weak spot of the outer wall so that they can get out easier.”

Hoya stopped in his steps as well and turned around to face Dongwoo. Dongwoo was frozen in his spot, his eyes wide with his eyebrows furrowed. “Myungsoo and Sungyeol are breaking out? They’re going to live in the outskirts?”

“…That’s what he told me.”

“How? How are they going to survive? No one knows what’s in the outskirts let alone how to survive! They’re crazy!”

“Maybe they are,” Hoya agreed, “but maybe it’s crazier for them to stay here.”

Dongwoo shook his head. “It’s a risky idea. How are they even going to escape without enough cover?”

“We are their cover.”

“…What?!”

Hoya looked him dead in the eye, his gaze unwavering. “Our raid tomorrow? That’s their cover. It’ll be enough time for them to get out without any suspicion. And maybe if they’re successful, we can send other people out too.”

“That’s insane,” Dongwoo murmured “Does Woohyun know about this?”

“No,” Hoya admitted. “I don’t intend for him to find out.”

“Why not? He’s just as in charge as you are!”

Hoya huffed in frustration. “You really like reminding me that I’m Woohyun’s subordinate, don’t you?” He hopped off the roof and into an alleyway.

Dongwoo followed him, his landing noiseless. “Yes, because you need to remember that someone else’s opinion counts besides yours. You can’t be in charge all the time.”

“I’ve been doing that fine for a while now. Woohyun’s been a coward in the midst of all this.”

“But he’s getting involved now,” Dongwoo retorted. “You have to give him credit for that.”

“I’ll give him a firm handshake later, if that’s what you want.”

“That’s not it, Hoya. You need to start working with him.” Dongwoo shot across the street, Hoya on his heels. They passed by a couple guards in silence. Dongwoo forgot how thrilling it was to be on recon duty. He missed it.

As soon as they were safe in another alley, Hoya murmured, “Woohyun doesn’t matter.” He yanked his mask down.

Dongwoo just pulled down his mask and scoffed in annoyance as he trailed behind Hoya. “Where are we even going?” he asked.

“I remember someone mentioning that there was a weak spot in the wall around the tree here.” He looked up at the dark silhouette of the gnarled tree in front of him. “I heard it’s behind the bakery…”

Dongwoo followed him closely as they carefully stepped over a pile of rubble. He knew this bakery – his friend’s parents owned it until it had gone up in flames. The authority in town never did anything to restore the bakery so it just sat here, rotting away.

But Hoya just stepped through everything into the crevice between the outer wall and the bakery. “There,” he said, pointing. Dongwoo stared at the spot he pointed at, taking in the sight of the cracks and the weathered wall. With a few good hits, it would break and leave a small hole that a normal person could crawl through.

“That’s the spot,” Hoya said. “I just need to tell Myungsoo and be here to help him break the wall while the raid is going on.”

Dongwoo took in a deep breath. “No,” he said firmly. Hoya shot him a strange look and Dongwoo continued, “The guys going into the raid tomorrow need a leader. I’ll station myself here to help Myungsoo.”

“What?” Hoya asked as his eyebrows furrowed. “Dongwoo, no – I don’t need you risking yourself like that.”

Dongwoo turned his back and started walking away from him. “Hoya, its fine. It’ll be suspicious if the rebels’ leader is missing from the action.”

“Dongwoo, that’s not the point. This is my favor, you don’t have to get involved.”

“Why won’t you just let me help you?!”

Hoya’s frowned deepened. “Look, I don’t need your help, okay? Just leave this up to me and everything will be fine.”

“I don’t care Hoya, just let me help you!” Dongwoo exclaimed in a strained whisper. “You might think you don’t need help but it’s high time you stopped taking all the responsibility on your own.” He kept walking, his pace furiously quickening. “Let me care about you–”

Dongwoo!” Hoya breathed out harshly as he grabbed Dongwoo by his shoulder and yanked him back. He pressed Dongwoo up against the wall of the alleyway a little too aggressively.

Dongwoo pushed Hoya’s hands off of him, his forehead creased as he frowned. “Hoya–”

“Shh!” Hoya snapped, forcing a hand onto Dongwoo’s mouth. He pressed them up against the alley wall harder, slinking into the darkest shadows as best as he could.

Dongwoo stayed quiet, his heart beating in anxiety and from the proximity of Hoya’s body to his. After a moment, the sound of footsteps crunching on gravel grew louder as the beam of a flashlight passed the alley they were in. The guard walked passed them without any trouble but they were still nervous from how close they were to possibly getting caught.

As soon as the soldier’s footfalls were out of earshot, Hoya loosened his grip on Dongwoo with a sigh of relief. “That was too close,” he murmured under his breath, looking back at Dongwoo.

Maybe it was the moonlight that gave Dongwoo’s eyes that special sparkle, maybe it was the way Dongwoo was gripping onto Hoya’s wrist, or maybe it was just the intense gaze of his that had Hoya locked. They couldn’t move – not even if they tried. In the silence of the night, their harsh breaths sounded loud in their ears.

Dongwoo’s eyes were searching Hoya’s – pleading Hoya’s. “Dongwoo…?” he uttered out, his voice low and soft.

Dongwoo’s hands reached up to cup Hoya’s face as he breathed out, “Shut up.”

He rushed forward and pressed his lips onto Hoya’s desperately, the breathing from his nose coming out sharp and hurried. Hoya kissed him back just as ferociously, grabbing onto Dongwoo’s waist as he pressed back into the wall of the alley. The way the rhythm of their lips came was something that came only from practice. They kissed each other harshly, desperately, without any remorse. It was like they didn’t need air because of how long they were willing to keep their lips attached. They tried as best as they could to keep the grunts and moans coming from their mouths quiet.

Hoya missed these kind of kisses from Dongwoo. He missed all of it. He missed everything. Maybe he wasn’t willing to admit it, but he had really missed Dongwoo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Should I surprise him? No, no… I should propose to him on stage… while I receive my promotion at the awards ceremony. ”

Sunggyu was muttering to himself mindlessly, rolling the ring his mother gave him in his palms over and over. He wanted his proposal to Woohyun to be nothing short of perfect. He was nervous – more than nervous. There was only five days left until the awards ceremony and many of the guards had all given him congratulations. Now the only thing left to do was to propose to Woohyun and move into the Capital Building with Woohyun and his mother. His plans were perfect.

“Yes, yes… I’ll call him up on stage after I receive my promotion… and propose to him in front of everyone. He’ll never see it coming, he’ll love it!”

“Sir!”

A younger guard burst into Sunggyu’s office and he pocketed the ring immediately. He stood up, clearing his throat. “Yes?”

“We received reports of some citizens causing a public disturbance today in the Capital Square. Witnesses say they were transporting multiple kegs of beer and some pumpkins back to this district.”

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes. “More troublemakers. I’ll have them locked up immediately. Where are they? Do you have their names?”

“We have reports saying that they belong to the family that owns the local diner. I can look up the residents’ address if you like. Reports say that their names are Lee Sungyeol and Lee Yeoreum.”

“Yes, please do that,” Sunggyu replied. “Please get three other soldiers with me to handle the arrest. Troublemakers are always harder to handcuff.”

“Yes, sir.”

When the soldier left, Sunggyu picked up a phone. The only phones that existed in town were in official buildings and only connected to other official building phones.

“Hello,” a voice said on the other end. “You’ve reached the Capital Building.”

“Transfer me to the captain of the guard, please.”

There was as beep on the line before another male’s voice spoke. “Hello?”

“Hello sir, this is Sunggyu.”

“Sunggyu! How are you doing? The preparations for your living space are nearly complete.”

“Ah, it’s good to hear that,” Sunggyu replied with a smile. “But I just wanted to let you know that two new prisoners will be coming to the Capital Building tonight. A boy and a girl.”

“Oh, really? That’s good, we need another pair of hands in the kitchen. A pot of boiling water fell on someone and we had to release him.”

Sunggyu blinked. He wondered how many people he had arrested were released already from poor behavior or work hindering injuries. “Yes, you’ll be receiving more help.”

“And I’m sure the girl will make a nice addition to the escorts.”

“I’m sure she will. But for right now, I’m requesting someone to transport them.”

“Oh yes, of course. I’ll have some Capital Square guards meet you and transport the prisoners to the Capital Building. Thanks for informing me Sunggyu. And congratulations on your promotion.”

“Thank you, sir.”

The conversation ended with a beep. Sunggyu sighed as he took out the ring from his pocket and placed it into a small jewelry box he had purchased. He would have to finish his proposal plans later. There was no time to smile now – it was time to do his job.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was after dinner at Sungyeol’s home and he was playing cards with his siblings at the dining table. It was a friendly Friday evening and there was nothing better than time spent playing cards with his family. And since it was the last day with his family, he wanted to make sure that he spent all the time he could with them. Yerin sat in his lap, helping choose cards to put down.

“No fair,” Daeyeol said as Sungyeol won another round. “That’s technically two people against one – that’s cheating.”

“It’s not,” Yerin retorted, sticking out her tongue. Sungyeol wondered briefly if she had gotten that tongue thing from him. He tended to do that a lot.

Sungyeol chuckled, taking all of the cards back and shuffling the deck. “Let’s play something else then? Want to play Speed?”

“Nah, let’s play Egyptian War,” Yeoreum suggested. “I’m really good at that one.”

“Yeah, well I’m better!” Daeyeol insisted.

Sungyeol’s father, who was watching the four of them from his spot on the couch, laughed. “C’mon kids, no one beats their father at Egyptian War. I taught you all my tricks, after all.”

Yeoreum giggled as she stated, “There aren’t any tricks in Egyptian War, dad. It’s just all luck and speed.”

“Not unless you keep a couple two-cards under your sleeves,” he responded cheekily.

“See that?” Sungyeol paused his shuffling to point at their father. “That is cheating.”

He had the cards passed out and they started playing soon enough. They were having a lot of fun, smacking the deck of cards and arguing over whose hand hit it first. It was a good time and Sungyeol was glad for it. He wouldn’t want to spend the last night with his family any other way–

Four harsh raps suddenly came at their door.

Every single sound they were making halted as they froze in their spots. “…Who’s that?” Sungyeol’s mother asked, her voice low. “It’s way past the city curfew.”

The loud knocks came again along with someone yelling, “Open up! We have arrest warrants for Lee Sungyeol and Yeoreum for malicious behavior! We know you’re there, open up!”

It was like the air had been knocked right out of Sungyeol’s chest as he met Yeoreum’s terrified eyes. But their parents stood up immediately and whispered for all of them stand up. They all obeyed, their faces frightened and unsure.

“What did you two do?” their father asked sternly but quietly.

Sungyeol swallowed. “It wasn’t our fault, I swear. Some guards tried touching Yeoreum when she didn’t want it, and I–”

“That’s enough. You did the right thing. Follow your mother now.”

“Keep quiet,” their mother ordered, “and follow me.” She led them to a metal cabinet in the next room over and flung the doors open. She turned to them, her eyes hard. “Get Daeyeol and Yerin in here. Now.”

Yeoreum picked up Yerin, lifting her into the cabinet as Daeyeol crawled in also. “Mama, what’s going on?” Yerin asked, her eyes getting misty. “Who’s at the door?”

“Hush, Yerin – everything will be okay.” She kissed Yerin on the crown of her head and looked towards Daeyeol. “Make sure she’s okay.” Daeyeol nodded, trying to swallow the lump in his throat.

Turning around, their mother faced Sungyeol and Yeoreum. “Now you two – get in.”

Yeoreum’s eyes widened, her hands shaking. “What? But mom, we’re the reasons the guards are here.”

“Either you or the guards are lying; I believe you’re telling the truth. I don’t think you would lie about what happened in Capital Square today. So get in.”

Sungyeol shook his head. “No, I’m going to stay here and help.”

“Sungyeol, you’re brave. But right now, let mom and dad handle this. You and your sister are not going to get arrested tonight. Listen to me when I say that these guards are bloodthirsty. You all need to hide right now before they take our whole family.”

“But mom–”

She hushed him and said, “No buts. Now get in there.”

Sungyeol swallowed as he took Yeoreum’s hand. They both squeezed into the cabinet with their siblings. Yerin clung onto Sungyeol, burying her face his shoulder. She was scared and panicked and Sungyeol couldn’t blame her.

“Stay quiet,” their mother reminded them one last time before closing the doors. “Take care of each other. This closet locks from the inside. Don’t make any noise.”

Yeoreum closed the latch on the door as they all tried to breathe in the stuffy closet. Sungyeol rubbed Yerin’s back, trying to soothe her as quietly as possible. He strained his ears, trying to listen to the conversations going on outside. He could hear his father’s voice faintly.

“Oh, captain. For what reason are you dropping by so late tonight?”

“Your daughter and son are under arrest for malicious behavior towards authorities. Bring them to me, now.”

“Oh, we apologize sir. Our children are not home at all, if you can see.”

“I can see, thank you. But I’m not stupid. Where are your children?”

“Not home.”

“Oh, so that’s how it is? Hiding information from an official?”

“I’m sorry if that’s how you see it but we’re not withholding any information from you at all. My children are not home.”

“You and your wife are under arrest right now for resisting orders and withholding information.” Sungyeol heard the click of the handcuffs too clearly and the captain of the guard raising his voice. “You hear that, kids? Mommy and daddy are getting arrested! Come on out and I can spare them!”

Disguting, Sungyeol thought. But he heard no sign of struggle from his parents. Instead he heard feet shuffling and he met eyes with Yeoreum to confirm that their mother and father had just been arrested in exchange for keeping them safe.

“Search the house. They must be here.”

The sound of searching in their home was uncomfortably loud in the stark silence. He could hear them turning over cushions and shoving around chairs mindlessly. As soon as Sungyeol heard heavy footsteps coming towards the cabinet, he gestured to all his siblings to stay extremely quiet. He pressed Yerin’s face closer into his body to make sure she didn’t speak. Yeoreum covered to conceal the sound of her panicked breaths and Daeyeol bit his lips and closed his eyes.

The door of the closet shook like someone was trying to open it. It shook some more before stopping and for a moment Sungyeol thought that he could stop holding his breath. But then  there came a loud bang against the side of the metal closet that surprised him and sent chills up his spine. Another bang comes from the other side of the closet and he could see Daeyeol’s throat constrict. Yerin was holding her breath like a good girl, but she sounded like she was about to break out into sobs.

Another bang came and Yeoreum squeezed her eyes shut. It’s terrifying but they all stay extremely still and quiet.

“Empty. Sir, it looks like the children really aren’t home.”

“Fine. Let’s go. But we’re going to come back tomorrow – they’re bound to come back.”

“Yes, sir!”

After he confirmed that he had heard the door shut tightly, Sungyeol let out the breath he was holding. His siblings did the same, their breaths shaky and wavering. They were panicked and nervous because even if they had barely passed this, where would they go now? If they stayed they’d be discovered and if they left through the doors, guards would catch them for sure.

“What do we do now?” Daeyeol whispered as Yeoreum unlocked the latch and stepped out.

“Well, we have to escape somehow,” Yeoreum responded. Her hands were shaking profusely. “We can’t stay.”

“No, we can’t,” Sungyeol agreed. “Follow me.”

He led them up the stairs and to his room. He handed Yerin off to Daeyeol who took her into his arms securely. Sungyeol opened up his window and gave them a look that told them to be quiet and careful. He reached up and grabbed the ledge of the roof, pulling himself up.

“Come on,” he whispered, “onto the roof.”

Daeyeol handed him Yerin back as he and Yeoreum struggled for a few moments to crawl up onto the roof from Sungyeol’s window. Sungyeol was crouched, blending with shadows from experience.

“Well, now where do we go?” Daeyeol asked. “There’s only so many places we can escape to by roof.”

Sungyeol looked his siblings dead in their eyes before making a decision. “I know a place we can go.”

With a silent breath, he whistled into the night.


 

 

 

 

 

 

( A/N );

so as you can see, the ball has dropped. things are intensifying. i'll be honest though, it breaks my heart :( but can you see what's going to happen from here? leave me a comment if you think you do! sungyeol and his sibilings are definitely in a bad situation as are woogyu. but yadong are going uphill :) i hope you're still enjoying! keep up for more updates! love you all :))

-- quinnie --

ask.fm | tumblr | twitter

;

help im breakin my own heart. 
and what'll happen now?!  

-- quinnie --

ask.fm | tumblr | twitter