It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do, hey baby, I think I want to marry you

Rumor Has It (editing)

Baekhyun was in such bliss! He was on cloud nine, and he knew for sure, what happened was definitely not a dream this time around. It was too good to be a dream because he certainly couldn’t come up with something this amazing. Immediately after intense hugging with Chanyeol, who he could officially call his own, he called his parents and began to talk a blue streak when they answered.

 

“Mom, mom, dad, dad, you wouldn’t believe this! Chanyeol just asked me to marry him! I mean, I know we’re kind of jumping the gun because we’ve only known each other for, like, no time at all and haven’t even dated, but I mean, still! This is so exciting, and please don’t embarrass me either. So like, it went like this: I was really depressed because I had seen the news and it had something on Chanyeol marrying this rich girl from another company to become super duper rich, and like he didn’t visit for days and it was today that he came in and found me crying and then he got down on one knee and --”

 

“WHOA. HOLD UP. HOLD UP, PLEASE AND LET US PROCESS THIS.” Baekhyun’s mom interrupted.

 

“So, Chanyeol finally grew a pair and asked my son for his hand in marriage?” asked Mr Byun. “Did you hear that, honey? We’ll be the father-in-law to Park Chanyeol. Maybe he can buy us a ferrari.”

 

“Dad! What the heck? You’re not going to leech of of Chanyeol’s money like that!” Baekhyun pouted, but smiled when Chanyeol nuzzled his neck affectionately. Carefully, he took Chanyeol’s hand, still slightly tentative, but when the taller laced their fingers together, he knew he had nothing to be afraid of. They were together, after all, so there was no point in fearing rejection.

 

“Chanyeol, are you totally serious about Baekhyun?” Mrs Byun asked.

 

“Yes, Mrs Byun. I will love Baekhyun, even when the world ends.”

 

“But like, are you really serious? Like, really really really really really, so much that you’d do him right now if I told you to?”

 

“Whoa, hold up mother. Just stop right there. I should’ve interrupted at the first really.” Baekhyun muttered.

 

“Should I answer that?” Chanyeol asked in Baekhyun’s ear, sending shivers down his back. Baekhyun leaned back into Chanyeol’s chest and shook his head.

 

“Don’t. She’s just being strange.”

 

“Ah, alright.”

 

“Park Chanyeol, would you, or would you not?” Mrs Byun asked impatiently.

 

“Mom! Shhhhh about that, please.”

 

“But I need to --”

 

“No, you don’t.”

 

“Fine, I don’t. I’m sorry! I’m just… My baby is all grown up!” Mrs Byun started to cry from the overwhelming amount of joy that she felt.

 

“Mom! Don’t cry, please! If you are, I will too, and I had just finished a lot of crying not too long ago.”

 

“I’m sorry, baby. I’m just so proud of you!”

 

“Me too, Baek.” Mr Byun interjected. “ So, when is your wedding?”

 

“I think we’ll hold off on that for a while. I mean, we’ve already rushed it quite a bit, so we’re going to take a few months for ourselves.” replied Chanyeol.

 

“Ah, don’t forget to add us to your invite list when you do, though.”

 

“Of course. How could we forget the lovely bride’s parents?”

 

“Oh how flattering, Chanyeol.” Mrs Byun cooed.

 

“Bride? I’m not a girl, though!” Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow.

 

“You certainly are pretty enough to be one, though.”

 

“Does that make me one?”

 

“Well no, but I just…”

 

“But on the other hand… if I were yours… I can make an exception.” Baekhyun teased.

 

“Baekhyun, don’t do that, please. I thought I had angered you.”

 

“Spoken like a true couple.” Mrs Byun sighed happily.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol looked at each other and laughed. They really were a couple, and it was the most wonderful thing to hear. It was strangely satisfying.

 

“So, have you told your parents yet, Chanyeol?”

 

“Well, no, but I won’t let them force me to marry Ms Kwan.”

 

“Wait! Before we start on your rich parents, first things first. I know Baekhyun hasn’t kissed anyone, so have you guys kissed already?” Ms Byun asked, excited.

 

“You haven’t had your first kiss?” Chanyeol asked, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun’s waist and pulling him closer.

 

“I -- well, you know, I never really… had friends in school, and no one really asked me… That’s kind of why I am still trying to get over the fact that…” Baekhyun held out his hand and examined the shiny ring. “This. It seems so… like you’re tricking me, honestly. I mean, you aren’t the first person I’ve liked --”

 

“And why not?” Chanyeol asked playfully.

 

“Chanyeol, do you think we’re heading into this whole relationship thing too fast? I don’t want this to end terribly, like a divorce or something because our judgement was clouded.”

 

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said softly in his ear. “Do you love me?”

 

Baekhyun nodded.

 

“And do you trust me?”

 

“I do.”

 

“Then do you trust that I love you more than my own family? Do you trust that I love you more than myself? Do you trust that I love you?”

 

Baekhyun bit his lip and frowned, “I’m not…”

 

But he was stopped when Chanyeol quickly captured his lips. When they parted, Baekhyun’s face was a bright red and his eyes were wide. He hid his face in his hands and laughed. He just had his first kiss stolen by Chanyeol. It was absolutely exhilarating.

 

“So now, do you trust me?”

 

Baekhyun nodded and received another peck on the lips.

 

“Did Chanyeol just…” Mrs Byun asked.

 

“Did Chanyeol steal my boy’s first kiss?” Mr Byun laughed.

 

“Maybe.” said Chanyeol, taking another peck from Baekhyun’s lips.

“Baek has officially become a man!” Mrs Byun cheered.

 

Baekhyun was about to complain about how embarrassing they were being, but was interrupted when Chanyeol’s phone began ringing loudly. Quickly, both said goodbye to the Byuns and Chanyeol answered his cell.

 

“Dad, hi.”

 

“Chanyeol, where are you? You’re supposed to meet Ms Kwan in an hour.”

 

“Dad, I’ve thought about this arranged marriage, and I’m not going to go through with it.” Chanyeol said firmly. “I may be biual and ok with women, but I’ve found someone much better.”

 

“That kid that people thought you had proposed to, right?”

 

“He’s not a kid, for one. He’s my age, and two, yes. I love him more than anything in the world, and I won’t give him up.”

 

There was a sigh of relief from the other end, “Good, good. I was talking to Mr Kwan yesterday and whoa, his personality is kind of too much for me to handle. Plus, his daughter is boisterous and obnoxious.”

 

“Wait, you’re ok with this?”

 

“Why not?”

 

“I thought you’d be one of those dads that are mean and force me into it just because you want power or something.”

 

“Chanyeol, I’m your father. You should know me better.”

 

“I guess.” Chanyeol laughed. “Also… I may have already proposed to him…”

 

“Wonderful! I’ll cancel the plans with Ms Kwan and put this Bun Baekhun kid in her place.”

 

“His name is Byun Baekhyun, he’s my age, and he’s sitting right here.” Chanyeol frowned.

 

“Oh he is! I’m so sorry. I was just teasing my son, and I didn’t mean what I said. I know you’re a wonderful person. My son put up pretty high standards when it came to dating, and I guess you fit the description.” said Mr Park.

 

“Ah, I see. What were those standards?”

 

“He wanted someone with a nice , a cute personality, down to earth, slightly quirky, overly kind, and they must have a great smile.”

 

“N-not the first one! Dad, I never said that. Don’t put words in my mouth.”

 

“Whatever, whatever.”

 

“Do I… have a cute personality? I’m not really ‘down to earth’ either… I let my thoughts wander often… and is my smile great?” Baekhyun muttered.

 

“Your smile is wonderful, Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said.

 

"So, Baekhyun, how about I meet with you instead?"

 

"S-sure!" squeaked Baekhyun.

 

"Great! I'll meet you guys at that ice cream parlor a few blocks from your apartment. It's not too busy."

 

"How do you know his address?" Chanyeol asked suspiciously.

 

"His address was posted online from that stalker."

 

"Alright, see you there."

 

Then Chanyeol hung up and cuddled Baekhyun for a few minutes. Ever since he had laid eyes on the beautiful boy, he was really tempted to embrace him. Now he was allowed to without any other reason than just to love him. Lightly, he kissed Baekhyun's neck and pushed the other to his feet.

 

"Let's get you ready. It looks like you just rolled out of bed." Chanyeol said and led Baekhyun into his own room.

 

"I basically did." Baekhyun obliged, and, reluctantly, took off the warm comforter and started to sift through his drawers. It didn't take long to find something to wear since the first thing he pulled out was his baby blue shirt with his cat's face printed on it. At first, he was going to toss it aside, but Chanyeol insisted that he wear it. On the bottom, he wore white pants and shiny black oxfords. After quickly styling his hair, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were on their way, hands linked together and left Haru mewling from the lack of attention.

 

Once at the ice cream parlor, the two sat down and waited for Mr Park who arrived a few minutes after them. At first glance, he looked quite scary, since he usually wore a scowl, but when Baekhyun bowed low and received a smile back, he suddenly looked kinder. Before anyone sat down for more formal introductions, they all got a small bowl of ice cream; Baekhyun got cookies and cream; Chanyeol bought regular chocolate; and Mr Park ordered coffee.

 

"You're a very beautiful boy, Baekhyun." Mr Park commented when they settled in their seats.

 

"Thank you." replied Baekhyun.

 

"So, what do you do for a living?"

 

"I write books."

 

"Oh really? Have you published any?"

 

"No, I only sent in the manuscript last week. I'll talk to my editor tomorrow to make corrections and such. Well, actually, I've published a few short stories in writing magazines and such."

 

"Once it's published, you must autograph a copy and send it to me. What is it about?"

 

"It's an action, apocalypse type story where a newscaster is broadcasting his last, er, broadcast. All of it is set through the lens of the camera, and it's companion journal which is found in the future."

 

"Say, how were these things preserved, if it was the apocalypse?"

 

"Well, you have to read it." Baekhyun laughed awkwardly.

 

"I guess I do," Mr Park chuckled. "I like your shirt, by the way."

 

"Oh, thanks." Baekhyun mumbled, ears turning pink.

 

"So I guess I don't have to ask 'how did you meet' since I saw it on the news, right? Well, unless you want to tell me when you realized your love for each other."

 

Baekhyun fidgeted and looked down at his slowly melting ice cream. Seeing that he was uncomfortable, Chanyeol answered instead. "Well, it wasn't a 'love at first sight' sort of scenario. It was when I helped Baekhyun when he had a social anxiety attack. I just... Something clicked and I guess I had fallen." Chanyeol gripped Baekhyun's hand under the table.

 

“So, Baekhyun, are you already planning this wedding?” Mr Park changed the subject, see as Baekhyun wasn’t too keen on answering the previous question.

 

“Oh, no, I haven’t. I thought that… maybe Chanyeol and I could take a few months, maybe a year, to ourselves.”

 

“I understand.  It is quite a big step for a young man. Ah, that reminds me of when I was young. I had met Chanyeol’s mother, a wonderful woman, and I knew I wanted to be with her forever. Those were good years.” Mr Park looked off into the distance, reminiscing.

 

“Did… Did something happen?”

 

“What? Oh no, nothing happened. Don’t misunderstand. We’re still happily married, but we’re getting to our ripe old ages.”

 

“Oh! Oh, I see! I’m sorry.”

 

“Don’t apologize, Baekhyun.”

 

Baekhyun opened his mouth to apologize again, but promptly shut his mouth when he caught himself. Next to him, Chanyeol laughed quietly and laced their fingers together. “Hey, dad, sometime, we’re going to have to introduce mom to Baekhyun, and meet his parents too.”

 

“Ah! Yes! How could I forget? Baekhyun, when is the best time to meet your parents? If you turned out so well, that must mean they were good parents. Plus, you have to meet my wife. Beware, she may fawn over you… a lot.” Mr Park laughed.

 

“Well, er, I have to meet with my editor tomorrow at 10.00am to 11.00am, so any time after that would be great. My parents are always available on the weekend.”

 

“Such an organized man. You should be more like him, Chanyeol.”

 

“I’m organized, alright? I just am messily organized. It’s my own system.” Chanyeol retorted.

 

“Whatever you say, son.” Mr Park checked his watch. “It’s getting pretty late. It’s best I get back to my wife. She gets worried easily.”

 

With that, Chanyeol bid goodbye to his dad, Baekhyun received a bone-crushing hug and they walked back to Baekhyun’s apartment. When inside, Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Baekhyun and gave him a peck on the cheek. “How did I survive without this?” Chanyeol murmured into Baekhyun’s ear.

 

“I don’t know, Chanyeol. I can’t answer a personal question.”

 

Chanyeol hummed, “Do you love me?"

 

Baekhyun frowned and turned around, looking Chanyeol in his beautiful eyes. What type of question was that? If he didn't love Chanyeol, then he would've never said "yes" when he received the ring. "Are you doubting it?"

 

"No, not at all, Baekhyun. I just wanted to hear it."

 

"Mm, Park Chanyeol. I do." Baekhyun giggled.

 

"Say it."

 

"It's embarrassing."

 

"How?"

 

"It just is."

 

"Please."

 

"I-I will! Just... Don't pressure me, I'm sorry." Baekhyun mumbled.

 

"It's ok, I'll wait patiently."

 

Later that night, while curled up in Chanyeol's lap watching whatever dramas the TV played, Baekhyun said "I love you" ever so quietly. At first, he though Chanyeol hadn't heard him, but when he responded with the same phrase, Baekhyun's heart was put at ease.

 

1 Year Later

 

"Byun Baekhyun, I've asked you once, and I'll ask it again." Chanyeol got down on one knee and held up a beautiful, velvet box up to his one year lover. "Will you marry me?"

 

Tears falling from his eyes, Baekhyun nodded and held out his left hand. Carefully, Chanyeol took off the silver ring given a year previous and slipped on a gold ring with a large diamond on top. Around them, the crowds cheered and cameras flashed. News reporters from all TV stations chattered excitedly to their audience.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn't care about them. The only people in the world at that moment was just the two of them. Gently, Chanyeol placed a kiss on Baekhyun's lips and gripped his hands tightly.

 

"Forever." He whispered with a smile.


"Forever."