I wouldn't say I'm anti-social, I'm just socially awkward and that may or may not scare you away

Rumor Has It (editing)

In a small internet cafe sat Byun Baekhyun, quickly tapping away at his computer. Around him, the cafe was moderately noisy, but it was more like white noise to him. At this point, he was into his writing, that he almost missed someone in an expensive suit burst into the cafe, disheveled, looking around frantically. It was only when that person had approached him that he looked over his laptop.

 

“Hi, could you try this ring on for me? I’m looking for someone, but I don’t remember what their face looked like.” The handsome, young man the ring towards Baekhyun. “All they left behind was this ring.”

 

Baekhyun shook his head and gently pushed the man’s hand back, “I’m sorry. I’m not the one you’re looking for.”

 

“Could you at least try it on to confirm?”

 

“No, I’m really sorry. I don’t know you.” Baekhyun smiled apologetically.

 

“Please?”

 

Baekhyun frowned and looked at the ring in the man’s out stretched hand. It certainly was expensive looking. The etching was gorgeously done and he could tell that it wasn’t light. It would look good on my hand, Baekhyun thought, rubbing his hands together above his keyboard.

 

“I… Ok.” Baekhyun took the ring from the man and slipped it on his right ring finger. At first, he thought it would be too big and was ready to take it off, but, in fact, it was a perfect fit! Baekhyun locked eyes with the man for a nervous second. When he did, he felt his heart race and he suddenly couldn’t look the man in the eyes. Something about them was… alluring.

 

“Are you the one I met yesterday?” The man asked, wide-eyed.

 

“N-no! No, no, no. I’ve-I’ve never seen you before. I’m sorry, I’m not the one you’re looking for!” Baekhyun exclaimed hastily, cheeks tinged pink, and took the ring off, handing it to the man before shutting his laptop and quickly shoving it in his bag. Then, with a curt bow, he slung his bag over his shoulder and fast walked out of the cafe and towards his apartment complex. Once he got to the stop light, he could hear the man’s voice calling out for him to wait, but he ignored it and rushed across the crosswalk.

 

The moment he stepped into his apartment, he slammed the door shut and leaned against it, breathing heavily. What had come over him? The guy had asked him a simple question and he couldn’t even respond like a civil human being. Upon thinking of the man’s face, Baekhyun couldn’t help but feel his heart flutter. He had to admit, the man was quite attractive. He had elf-like ears, large, curious eyes, wide shoulders, and the way his hair was messy had just excited Baekhyun even more. Someone of the man’s stature was talking to him; Byun Baekhyun -- a socially awkward, college graduate who had an unhealthy obsession with writing.

 

Baekhyun squealed, set his laptop bag on the kitchen counter and began to dance around his apartment. Suddenly feeling in the mood, he made his way over to his small speaker, hooked his phone in, and began to blast music as he danced awkwardly around everything.

 

Eventually his cat, Haru, walked out from his bedroom to see what all the commotion was. Unfortunately for him, Baekhyun was in a happy-go-lucky mood and swept up the cat, spinning him around and singing. Once the upbeat dance songs were over, Baekhyun crashed onto his couch and hugged his cat close, nuzzling his soft fur.

 

“Do you think I’ll meet him again, Haru?”

 

Haru meowed unhappily and Baekhyun giggled, hugging Haru closer, “Yeah, I don’t think so either. I guess that was one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments, right? I mean, he looked really rich! Of course he wouldn’t come around such a dinky internet cafe again. Plus, I probably scared him off with my weird ways.” Baekhyun held his cat out and looked him straight in the eyes. “You have it so easy! All you do is sleep and eat! Man, what a simple life that would be.”

 

Haru hissed and began to claw at Baekhyun, the signal for “Put me down, peasant.”

 

“Ow!” Baekhyun exclaimed, dropping Haru who scampered away back into his cozy cat home. For a moment, Baekhyun sat on his couch, staring at the black television screen with his, now, scratched up arms over his stomach, and sighed. Now that he was calm, he thought about the handsome man he had met, and how it could have been different if he wasn’t such a mess after locking eyes. Baekhyun could have lied about not being the right person and would probably still be in the cafe, with the man, making small talk. He cursed himself in disappointment.

 

Suddenly his phone rang, playing an obnoxious ringtone that let him know it was his mom calling. Quickly, he hopped up from the couch and grabbed his phone, swiping to answer.

 

“Hi mom!” Baekhyun greeted happily, going back over to sit on the couch.

 

It’s so nice to hear your voice again, honey!

 

“Mom, I talked to you yesterday. You couldn’t have missed me that badly.”

 

Hey, when you would sleep over at a friends, I would miss you then. Don’t doubt a mother’s love.

 

“Alright, alright,” Baekhyun laughed, and crossed his legs. “So, why did you call me?”

 

I just wanted to check up. So, how’s everything? How about your story? How far are you on that?

 

“I’m already midway through chapter 4! It’s coming along really well.” Baekhyun exclaimed.

 

That’s wonderful! Have you made any friends? Meet interesting people?

 

“Mom, I just moved in. Of course not!”

 

You’ve been there for two weeks. Don’t tell me that you haven’t stepped out of your little hovel.

 

“I have! I went to the internet cafe a few blocks down because I can’t leech off of my neighbor’s just yet.”

 

Did you meet anyone there? Aren’t internet cafes popular? Shouldn’t you have met someone?

“I-! I have! I met someone!” Baekhyun pouted.

 

Is he cute?

 

“How do you know it’s a he? It could be a she!”

 

It’s a guess. Now, tell your mother something so she doesn’t have to go back to chores.

 

Baekhyun laughed, “Yeah, he was really handsome! But… I messed it up, like always! I dont’ know what came over me! I just bolted out the door after he asked me to try on a ring and--”

 

Wait, he had you try on a ring? Is he forcing himself on you? If he is, call the police!

 

“Mom, calm down. No, he didn’t force himself on me. He had simply forgotten someone he met yesterday and couldn’t remember their face and all they left was a ring, so he was going around asking people to try it on.”

 

Did it fit yours?

 

“Maybe…” Baekhyun drawled suggestively. “But I hadn’t met him before!”

 

Baekhyun’s mother hummed in amusement.

 

My baby is all grown up! How adorable. Well, just make sure he

isn’t --

 

Then there was a pause followed by a loud crash and his mother screaming “No!”

 

“Mom? Is everything alright?”

 

Yes, don’t worry. Miso is just getting rough with the new pup and -- no! Don’t do that! I’m sorry, Baekhyun. I have to go! I love you lots and I hope you get to see that guy again!

 

“Goodbye, mother!” Baekhyun laughed and hung up. For a moment, Baekhyun’s gaze wandered to the window and watched two birds dance around each other as they flew. Then he reached for the remote and flicked on the television.

 

As he surfed through the stations, his thumb stopped above the channel button when he came across a news station. He stared at it incredulously at the picture shown. It seemed almost impossible, but when another picture was shown, it only confirmed his suspicion.It was a picture of none other than the handsome man he had met at the cafe, in the cafe, handing the ring over to Baekhyun.

 

The caption on the screen read:

 

Park Chanyeol, CEO of Park Records, proposes?

 

Oh god...