Long Awaited Love

Long Awaited Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ring… ring… ring…

A loud and annoying noise startled Park Shin Hye from her deep sleep. Without opening her eyes, she moved her hand lazily to the bedside table and hit the alarm clock hard, turning it off. She rolled to the other side of the bed and pulled the comforter over to cover her face from the bright stingy sunlight that felt like burning her skin. She slowly drifted back to her slumberland. But after a while, something hit her brain hard and her eyes fluttered open in an instant. She pulled the comforter away from her face and sit up abruptly.  She turned to the bed side table and she almost scream when she saw the time was now 8am. Her alarm was set at 7.30am but she sleep back after she turned it off.

Without wasting another second, she quickly climbed down from her bed clumsily and ran to the door. She rushed to the bathroom and cleaned herself up. After around 15 minutes later, she was already changed into her work clothes and half running out to the living room. She was brushing her messy hair with her fingers and when she saw the man who was sitting at the dining table, reading the newspaper while eating his breakfast in a relax mode, her eyes glared at him angrily.

“Oppa! Why didn’t you wake me up at 7.30am? I’m going to be late on my first day of work.” She said with her lips pouted.

Lee Min Ho put the newspaper down before he looked up and Shin Hye. His lips curled up slightly as he crossed his arms across his chest. “I did. I think I have knocked your door for like ten times but you were still sleeping like a pig.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and stomped her feet towards him. “Your company is going to fire me before I even start work for being late. It’s all your fault.” She said in an angry tone as she hit his arm hard.

“Ouch…” Min Ho massaged his arm and looked at her in disbelief. “How can you look like a woman but act like a man?” He shook his head as he stood up, looking at her. He pinched her nose softly and smirked. He lifted his hand up and showed her his watch. The watch was showing 8am.

Shin Hye widened her eyes and looked up at him in confusion. “How come it’s only 8am now? When I woke up just now, it was already 8am.”  

“Because I know you wouldn’t wake up even with the alarm rang just beside your ears.” Min Ho chuckled. “When I woke up at 6am just now, I went into your room and re-adjust your clock to 30 minutes later.”

Shin Hye hit Min Ho’s arm another time, glaring at him again.

“Ouch… What now?” Min Ho rubbed his poor arm.

“You almost give me a heart attack. I thought I’m going to be late on my first day of work.” Shin Hye frowned.

“If you know today is your first day of work, then why did you sleep so late last night?” Min Ho crossed his arms across his chest again and gave her a sharp stare.

Shin Hye avoided his gaze and turned to the dining room. “I… I didn’t sleep late last night.” She lied.

Min Ho sighed. “Do you think I don’t know you chat with your boyfriend until 5 this morning?”

Shin Hye looked at Min Ho. “You know there is time difference between US and South Korea, right? Joong Ki oppa is so busy every day. He can only spend some time to Skype with me around that time. I can’t miss the opportunity to chat with him. I’ve not seen him in person for almost a year already.”

Min Ho ignored her and sits down on the dining chair again, continued with his breakfast. Whenever Shin Hye talk about her boyfriend, Song Joong Ki, his mood will turn sour immediately.

“He is very tired with his final exams lately.” Shin Hye continued to speak as she took a seat in front of Min Ho and grabbed a toast. “He promised me that he will come back to Korea after his graduation this year. When he comes back, I don’t need to chat with him through Skype every night then.”

Min Ho looked up at her. “He said the same thing 1 year ago. But he is still in US now.”

“He wanted to keep his promise too but he was sick at that time and that was why he failed the exams. He was very distress too to re-take the course for another year.” Shin Hye said with the toast in . “But I have confidence in him. I’m sure he will graduate this year and come back soon.”

Min Ho rolled his eyes without replying her. He is not as positive as her. He has been studying in US for 4 years and he is still there. He doesn’t give him a feeling of responsible and secure.

“Oppa, I think it’s time for you to find a girlfriend.”

He looked up at her when he heard her voice again. “Meo?”

Shin Hye took a sip of the coffee before she continued. “I say you should find a girlfriend. Your life is so boring and just because of that, you have become a control freak and act like a father to me.”

Min Ho averted his gaze and shifted uncomfortably on his chair. “I… I promised appa that I’ll take care of you. And I’m not controlling. I’m just worried about you.” And love you.

“That’s the problem. I’m not a child anymore. And when Joong Ki oppa comes back from US, he will take care of me. We will get married one day and I can’t stay with you forever. You need a girlfriend to take care of you too.” Shin Hye said.

Min Ho felt a pinch in his heart when Shin Hye talked about marriage with Joong Ki. He dare not even think about it if that day really happens. He sighed before he finished up his coffee and stood up. He walked to the couch and took his bag before turning to Shin Hye. “Stop talking nonsense and hurry up. I don’t want to miss the bus. I’m okay if I’m late for once a while but you are different. They might really kick you out if you are late on your first day of work. You are just a trainee.”

Shin Hye quickly get up from the chair, gulped down the coffee and rushed to where Min Ho was standing. She smiled cheekily at him. “I think they won’t fire me, right? You are the secretary of the president. I’m sure you will take care of me in the office.”

Min Ho smirked at her. “Don’t dream. I’m just a secretary, not the president. If you do anything wrong, nobody will protect you. Even you are my sister.” He said as he turned around and walked to the door.

“Oppa, wait for me.” Shin Hye shouted from behind as she clumsily took her bag and chased after Min Ho.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Min Ho turned to his left side when he heard something knocked on the bus’s window hard. He sighed heavily when he saw Shin Hye winced in pain as her hand rubbed the side of her head. Her eyes were still closed and she was still sleeping with her head leaning against the window. He moved himself closer to her, gently brought her head over to rest on his shoulder without waking her up.

Looking down at her sleeping face, Min Ho smiled softly. Since the first day he met her when her mother brought her to his father’s house, he has been taking care of her and love her like his own sister. Just a blink of an eye, 15 years has passed and even their parents have already divorced. He still remembered that day when her mother decided to re-marry again with her current husband, Shin Hye came to him and cried for the whole night. She said she doesn’t want to stay with her new stepfather. She missed him and his father.

To be honest, he missed her more than she knows. He doesn’t need to persuade his father much. His father loves Shin Hye like his own daughter too. It was not hard for his father to get Shin Hye’s custody because her mother was more than willing to send her off. But 3 years ago, his father finally found someone and re-married again too. He was happy for him because he think his father deserve his happiness. After he migrated to UK with his new wife, the house was left with only him and Shin Hye.

Min Ho was only 18 years old when he found out that he felt something for her but he still wasn’t sure about his own feeling at that time. For him, she was like his little sister. He wants to protect her and love her whole-heartedly. But his feeling become clearer when one day she told him that she have a boyfriend. It was the first time he experienced the feeling of heartbroken and bitterness. He slowly understands that his protectiveness towards her was not because he treats her as his sister but he already fall in love with her since he don’t know when.

Shin Hye was 19 years old when she met Song Joong Ki. They just dated for one year before he left for US to further his studies. And since then, Shin Hye have been maintaining their long distance relationship through Skype and just by looking at how she sacrificed her sleeps to chat with him every night for the past 4 years, he know his little stepsister love that guy a lot.

After she graduated 3 months ago, Shin Hye has applied to work as a trainee in his company. He never thought she would be accepted with her not-so-good result without his help at all. TNG Group is a big advertising company and if she work harder, she could have a bright future there. Although they wouldn’t be working in the same department but at least he is around to take care of her.

He never thought of doing anything to win her heart or confess to her because he doesn’t want to ruin their relationship. For him, Shin Hye is the most precious person in this world. He won’t do anything to hurt her. He was just glad that he could keep her by her side, love her with the way that make both of them felt comfortable. He is not greedy. He just wants her to be happy.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Park Shin hye imnida.” Shin Hye greeted his boss politely with a 90-degree bow. “I was graduated from the Seoul National University, major in Marketing. I have no working experience and this is my first job after my graduation. But I’ll try my best to learn and do a great job. Please take care of me.” She said with a sweet smile and everyone from the Marketing department claps their hands to welcome her.

Kim Kwang Kyu, the well-known nasty Marketing Manager walked towards her and smirked. “Park Shin Hye, our new trainee, right?”

Shin Hye nodded. “Yes, bujang-nim. Please take care of me.”

“I heard you are related to our sajang-nim’s secretary, right? You are his… girlfriend?” Kim Kwang Kyu asked curiously.

Shin Hye shook her head vigorously. “No, no, no. He is not my boyfriend. He is my brother. I mean he is my stepbrother.”

Kim Kwang Kyu laughed loudly and startled Shin Hye. “I thought so too. Even if he really has a girlfriend, I doubt he dares to bring her to TNG. He needs to secure his position by making sure his boss is happy.”

“Meo?” Shin Hye asked in confusion. She doesn’t understand what he was talking about.

Kim Kwang Kyu turned to her and his eyes darkened. His sudden changed of expression make Shin Hye felt uncomfortable. “Although you are related to our Mr Great Secretary but please don’t think you will get special treatment because of that. If you do anything wrong, I will still kick you out from TNG like other trainees.” He then turned to a girl who was around Shin Hye’s age and talked to her in a rough tone. “Show her her table and give her all the client’s data to update into the system. I want everything to be done by tomorrow morning.”

The girl widened her eyes in shock. “What? By tomorrow morning? There are a lot of client’s data that need to be updated into the system. How can she finish it in one day? And Finance department give us the deadline until next week. What is the rush?”

Kim Kwang Kyu crossed his arms across his chest and glared at the girl. “Do I need to remind you who is the head in this department? Do I need to explain to you when I instruct my staff to do something? I said by tomorrow morning, can you hear me?!!!” He shouted at the girl angrily. The girl’s face turned pale as she nodded. He then turned to Shin Hye, glaring at her. “Do you have any problem with that?” He asked dangerously.

Shin Hye bit her lip and shook her head. “N-No.”

When Kim Kwang Kyu walked back into his room, both Shin Hye and the girl let out a sigh of relief together. Shin Hye turned to her and smiled awkwardly.

The girl smiled back at her. “My name is Krystal. I just passed the training end of last year and I’m a Marketing Executive now.” She paused and stole a glance at Kim Kwang Kyu’s room before she continued again. “Are you really Secretary Lee’s stepsister?” She asked softly.

Shin Hye nodded. “Yes. Wae?”

Krystal sighed. “Then I can only wish you good luck.”

Shin Hye creased her brows. “W-Why?”

Krystal smiled slightly. “As you know, your brother is the secretary in this company. Our sajang-nim trusts him a lot. I heard during a meeting few months back, Secretary Lee found some mistake in Kim bujang’s presentation and sajang-nim scolded him very badly. Since then, your brother has been Kim bujang’s first enemy in this company.” She paused and patted Shin Hye’s arm with a sympathy gaze. “Since you are related to him, your life in this department will be a misfortune. He will do anything to torture you.”

Shin Hye parted her lips and no word could form in . By looking at Kim Kwang Kyu’s scary face just now, she can already foresee her misfortune life here. Stupid oppa. She cursed Min Ho in her heart silently.

Krystal leaned closer to Shin Hye and whispered softly. “Is your brother really have something with our sajang-nim?”

Shin Hye looked at her in confusion. “Something? What something?”

Krystal smiled. “There are rumours flying everywhere saying that Secretary Lee have some secret affair with our beautiful sajang-nim. And that was the reason why sajang-nim trust him so much.”

“Of course not.” Shin Hye said defensively. “My brother is very smart and hardworking. He doesn’t need to rely on this kind of thing to get anybody’s trust.” She narrowed her gaze at Krystal. “And our sajang-nim is almost 10 years older than my brother, right?”

Krystal nodded. “9 years to be exact. But although there is age difference but they look good together. Your brother is very handsome and sajang-nim still looks good and young. You can’t blame us for suspecting them. They were always together and no matter how many beautiful girls tried to flirt with your brother, he have no response at all.” She paused and tilted her head. “Another reason to explain about this is your brother might be gay.”

“Yah! Min Ho oppa is not gay. He is normal and he likes girl.” She snapped.

Krystal laughed softly. “It’s just a speculation. I don’t believe he is gay either. He is too handsome to be gay. Having an affair with sajang-nim is higher in chance.”

Shin Hye sighed deeply as her heart suddenly felt uneasy. She couldn’t explain what feeling was that but her mood turned bad. She don’t believe Min Ho have anything with the president because if he do, he will sure tell her. He tells her everything. If he is dating, she will definitely know about it.

“This is your table.” Krystal’s voice shook her off from her deep thoughts. She walked towards a table in front and pointed at it. “I’ll get someone to bring the client’s files to you later. I’ll show you the system and how you need to update all the data into it. It’s not a simple job because all the details you enter have to be accurate and no mistake. Finance department need all those data to do their credit analysis later.” She pursed her lips. “I wish I could help you but I have another report to rush and I’m not free tonight. But I just sit opposite your table and feel free to ask me if you need anything.”

Shin Hye smiled as she nodded. “Thank you.” She heaved a deep sigh after Krystal walked back to her own place.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

“The meeting with the Chinese brand mineral water have been postponed to next week Tuesday. We have to discuss on the contract about the new spokesperson they requested. After the bad experience with…” Min Ho continued to update his boss on the new project.

Ha Ji Won nodded as she looked at the file on her table. After he was finished, she glanced at her watch before looking up at Min Ho. “It’s almost 9pm now. I think we should continue tomorrow.”

Min Ho smiled and nodded. “Okay. I’ll compile all the model’s details and pass it to you tomorrow.” He said as he closed the file and stood up of the chair.

“Are you free? Do you want to have dinner together?” Ha Ji Won asked before he could walk away.

Min Ho looked at her before he smiled at her apologetically. “I’m sorry. I have appointment with someone tonight.”

“I see. It’s okay. Next time then.” Ha Ji Won said and there was a slight disappointment in her voice.

Min Ho bowed at her politely before he walked out of her room. He quickly rushed back to his room and took his phone out. He was stuck in the meeting for hours and couldn’t find a chance to inform Shin Hye that she don’t need to wait for him. But when he saw the text message sent by Shin Hye, he was surprised.

 

From: Shin Hye

Oppa, I guess you are busy with your work and couldn’t answer my call. I need to stay back to update the client’s data into the system. I don’t think I can go home with you tonight. (cry)

 

Min Ho chuckled at the text message. It was sent to him 2 hours ago and he guess she is still working downstairs. He put the file on his table and turned his computer off, quickly made his way down to her office to look for her.

The moment he went down and walked to the open office, all the lights were almost turned off except for the place where Shin Hye was sitting. As he walked closer to her, his lips slowly curled up into a slight smile when he saw her resting her head against her crossed arms on the table, sleeping. Her face was tired and her hair was messy. There was a big pile of files on the table beside her.

He slowly walked to her table and took a seat beside her very softly, trying not to wake her up. His heart felt a pang when he saw the dark circles under her eyes. He sighed silently. He wonders what medicine did Song Joong Ki fed her that makes her stay so loyal and sacrificed so much for him. He looked down on the list of the client’s data she have to key in and it’s not even half she have done. He knows this is not something urgent that she needs to do it overnight. He then glanced up at Kim Kwang Kyu’s room and sighed silently. Kim Kwang Kyu must be trying to avenge him by torturing Shin Hye knowing that she is related to him. 

Taking another deep breath, Min Ho gently took the list on the table and turned to her computer. Following the list, he took the file out from the pile beside Shin Hye and started to key in to the system.

 

Min Ho stretched his neck side to side and massaged his shoulders after he pressed the save button for the last client’s data he keyed in. He glanced at his watch and it was already 12.30am. He closed his eyes, running his fingers to the bridge of his nose, massaging it softly.

“Oh my god!!”

His eyes fluttered open instantly when Shin Hye suddenly shouted beside him. He turned to her and held her down when she was about to jump off of her chair.

Shin Hye widened her eyes when she saw Min Ho there. “Oppa? Why are you here?” She looked at her watch and her first reaction was hitting Min Ho’s arm hard.

“Ouch! Wae?” Min Ho looked at her in shock.

“Oppa, why didn’t you wake me up? Oh my god, I’ll be in big trouble. I have to finish all this…” She stopped at mid-sentence when she saw the list was all ticked and completed. She turned to Min Ho with her lips parted, looked puzzled. “H-How… how…”

Min Ho pinched her cheek softly and glared at her. “What how? I’m so good to let you sleep like a pig and do all the jobs for you. And this is how you pay me back?” He said, rubbing his arm softly.

“What? You did everything for me?” Shin Hye looked at her computer and then to all the files. She turned back to Min Ho and laughed happily before she threw herself into his arms. “Thank you, oppa.”

Min Ho grinned.

But then, Shin Hye pulled back and glared at him sternly. “It was all your fault. Because you did something to upset my boss and now he is picking on me. The deadline for all this is supposed to be next week. But he insists me to finish it by today. All because of you.” She pouted her lips.

Min Ho sighed, looking at her. “So how if the deadline is next week? You still need to do it no matter what. Although he is being unreasonable but this is still your job, right? Don’t treat all this as an unfair treatment. Treat all this as a challenge and you have to overcome it no matter how hard. I can’t always be here to help you. Everyone have to suffer during their training time. Have you forgotten how late I went home every night when I was still a trainee?” He paused and gently brushed her messy hair. “If you want to learn and be successful, you have to stop whining like a puppy. Arasso?”

Shin Hye looked at him with a pity gaze before she nodded with her pouty lips. “Arasso.”

Min Ho smiled as he caressed her cheek softly. “Have you eaten yet?”

Shin Hye shook her head, looking at him expectantly.

He chuckled and held her hand and stood up together. “Me too. I’m starving. Let’s go to eat then. It’s very late now and we still need to work tomorrow. I’ll turn off the computer for you. You go to take your bag.”

Shin Hye smiled sweetly at him. “You are the best, oppa.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

“It has been almost one month already since I started work but he is still treating me like an enemy. He will find his way to critic on everything I do.” Shin Hye complained as her hand holding on the mic connected to her headset. Her eyes were looking straight at her computer screen, chatting with her boyfriend through Skype.

“Are you sure the problem is with your boss and not you? You know yourself. You are always careless and do everything without thinking. I wonder how your brain function.”

Song Joong Ki said harshly as he shook his head. Shin Hye bit her lip and looked down. “I know I’m not smart and perfect but I really try my best to meet his expectation.”

“Try hard is not enough. You have to act smart. You think you can stay there for long just because your stepbrother is there to support you? He is just a secretary. He can’t help you much. If anything happen, I’m sure he will protect himself first.”

Shin Hye looked back at the screen. “Min Ho oppa is not that kind of person. He cares for me and will always protect me if anything happen to me. But I don’t need him to support me. Although I’m not smart but I’ll learn to do better. I won’t let both of you down.”

Joong Ki let out a sly smile.

“Whatever.”

Shin Hye sighed softly. “How was your final exam? I’m sure you did well.” 

“Hmmm… I don’t think it will be a problem.”

“So, when are you coming back to Korea?” Shin Hye asked expectantly.

“I don’t have any plan yet. After I graduate, I might look around and find a job in US.”

Shin Hye straightened herself up and widened her eyes. “W-What do you mean finding a job in US? You promised that you would come back to Korea after you graduate. If you stay in US and work there, then… then how about me?”

Joong Ki gazed at her in hesitation.

“I know but the chance in US is higher than in Korea. Working here will definitely have brighter future. We are still young. I don’t want to tie myself up with only one option just because you want me to go back to Korea and be with you. Moreover, I think our relationship is good in this way. Being together doesn’t mean we have to see each other every day. Long distance relationship can make us stronger.”    

Shin Hye bit her lower lip hard, trying to fight the tears that were b in her eyes. “How can our relationship be strong when we hardly see each other? It has been a year since the last time I see you when you came back for holiday. I know we are still young and I don’t mean to tie you up. But opportunities are everywhere. You can get a good job even if you here in Korea. You have gone to US for 4 years already.” She paused and breathed deeply. “Don’t you miss me when I’m not around you?” She asked softly.

Joong Ki looked at her for a long moment before he sighed.

“You know I don’t like a clingy girlfriend and I always want to have my own freedom even if we are dating. Of course I miss you but we have to work for our future.”

He paused and looked away.

“I’m still waiting for my results and nothing is confirm yet. I will think about it again. Okay?”

Shin Hye forced out a smile and nodded. “Okay.”

“I have to go. It’s late now over your side. You still have to work tomorrow. You should sleep now. I’ll talk to you again later.”

Shin Hye smiled slightly. “Okay. Goodbye oppa.”

“Goodbye.”

Shin Hye sighed deeply when she saw Jong Ki’s name turned offline in the computer screen. She took her headset off from her head, closing her laptop and threw it on the table beside her bed. She closed her eyes and let her tears slowly stream down her cheeks. She brought her knees to her chest, hugging them into her body and sobbed softly.

 

Min Ho turned his laptop off after he completed his work. He took the cup on the table and found it empty. He stood up and stepped out of his room, making his way to the kitchen to drink some water. When he was walking back to his bedroom after he drank the water, his feet stooped in front of Shin Hye’s room when he heard a faint sobbing sound inside the room. His brows creased in concern. He brought his hand up and knocked on the door softly.

“Shin Hye? Shin Hye? Are you awake? Can I come in?” He asked.

“Eo, oppa.”   

Min Ho turned the doorknob and the creases on his brows deepened when he saw her face covered with tears. He walked towards her bed and sit down beside her.

“What’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Min Ho asked worriedly.

Shin Hye looked up at him and the next second, she already threw herself into his arms and cried sadly into his chest.

Min Ho her back soothingly, trying to comfort her. “Something is wrong with you and Joong Ki?”

“He said he want to stay in US and don’t want to come back to Korea.” Shin Hye sobbed sadly. “If he really stay there, then how about me?”

Min Ho sighed deeply. “Did you tell him that you want him to come back? If you want him to stay here with you, you should tell him honestly. Tell him how important he is to you and how much you love him.” His heart was aching badly saying those words. He wanted to tell her to leave Joong Ki and just stay with him. He wanted her to know that she deserve better than just waiting for a man that don’t cherish her at all. But he can’t. He doesn’t have the courage to tell her that he love her and wanted her to be more than a sister to him.

Shin Hye nodded her head. “I told him that I want him to come back. It has been 4 years already. I really miss him very much. I don’t know how long I could stand being like this.” She cried so hard that her body was slightly shaking. “Oppa, I really love him a lot. What should I do?”

Burying her nose in her soft hair, inhaling into her sweet scent, Min Ho doesn’t know what to say to her. If he can, he really wants to fly over to US and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter