Insight

Insight

Tiffany Hwang leaned against a wall, looking out of the window at the school grounds. The leaves on the trees already began turning colors indicating that winter was soon approaching. It was around this time last year that her world completely changed. She could easily remember the times when she went along with life, without any serious thoughts or cares. Every day she would follow a routine and if anyone threw it off there would be hell to pay. One could describe her as borderline indifferent. It was a lonely life but Tiffany never minded it, in fact, it was quite peaceful to her. That’s how she thought she’d continue her life until she got mixed up with…

“Why so pensive, mushroom?” asked a calm voice while an arm wrapped around Tiffany’s waist.

“Are you still calling me that, Yuri Kwon? Pet names are so last year,” Tiffany said in a dismissive tone and continued to stare out of the window. Yuri was about to protest when she felt Tiffany’s hand cover her own. Smiling to herself, Yuri rested her head on the smaller girl’s shoulder.

It was a miracle how far the two have gone to become friends. It felt like only yesterday when Yuri tried everything in her power to get Tiffany’s attention. That amounted to unnecessary frustration for Tiffany. With time, Tiffany got used to having Yuri around. The student body was in shock that the resident goddess had selected one of the commoners to befriend. This new friendship resulted in Tiffany’s status being elevated to goddess number two, with consequences. The bullying that Tiffany faced because of that change nearly broke up their friendship forever, but in the end they made it work thanks to Yuki from the drama club. 

Yuri nuzzled her head against Tiffany’s and spoke softly, “You’ll always be my favorite mushroom, Fany. You didn’t answer my question though. I know you’re thinking about something. What’s on your mind?”

“Mmmm. It was around this time that we met. Well, maybe I should say formally interacted. Everybody and their grandma knew who you were,” chuckled Tiffany.

Letting go of Tiffany and standing in front of her, Yuri flipped her hair and confidently said, “But of course! It’s my duty to grace my fans with my presence every day.”

Tiffany smacked Yuri’s shoulder. “Still cocky as ever I see,” she said, with a smile.

“Some things never change,” said Yuri with a lopsided grin. “Let’s get out of here. I’ll walk you home today.” 

Both of them knew that the conversation was over at that point. Yuri learned that Tiffany was someone who didn’t like to burden others with her problems. If it was serious enough, she would talk about it with Yuri but for now it was best to let Tiffany alone in her thoughts. The quiet enveloped them both as each one of them reminisced about  last year together as they left the school.

 

***

 

It’s been two weeks since the assessment exams. The student body returned to normal except for the seniors. By the end of December, they had to decide on what schools to apply for and prepare to turn in applications by the end of January. The two friends were discussing this topic alone for lunch at their favorite spot, behind the school on the benches.

“Fany, please close your mouth before a bug flies in there,” Yuri said.

“EWWW! Don’t even joke like that Yuri,” exclaimed Tiffany as she covered up and looked around for bugs with paranoia.

Yuri chuckled, “I’m kidding, about the bug part but not about you closing your mouth. Was what I said really that shocking?”

Tiffany looked at Yuri like she was crazy before continuing, “Uh, yeah. You were the goddess of the school. You took hard classes and did well in them. You were in a ton of extra-curricular activities, and remember when you volunteered for the swim team? Your life was like a walking overachievement. I would’ve expected you to go into pre-med or law…something very prestigious. Something…” Tiffany looked down and whispered softly, “…something much better that would take you far away from here.”

After setting her lunch down on the bench, Yuri faced Tiffany and said, “You would’ve been correct if I was the old version of myself. I would’ve easily gone to a high ranking school because that’s what was expected of me. I’m a different girl now. I refuse to live my life to please others just to get the spotlight. I want to do things my way. I want to do what I want for a change. I really wish I had some clue as to what that is though.” Tiffany looked up at Yuri and saw both sincerity and determination in Yuri’s eyes. “What about you, Fany? What college do you want to go to?”

“That’s just it, Yuri. I never had any plans to continue on to college. My dad…” Tiffany started but stopped immediately once she realized what she was getting into. She looked off to the side and shook her head. Yuri raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything. “I was going to work somewhere. High school is the bare minimum I needed to get a job so that was all that I was aiming for.”

“It would be a waste,” Yuri said, with a frown.

“What?” asked Tiffany, confused as to what Yuri implied.

“Whether you see it or not, you’re by far one of the most intelligent people I’ve ever known. Your sense of independence and individuality is so rare, especially at our age. I wish I could have half the strength you do, Fany. It’d really be a waste for you not to develop yourself even further in college. I know you could do great things,” Yuri exclaimed.

“I don’t seem to recall having called upon a personal cheerleader,” Tiffany said in a snarky tone. Yuri bopped Tiffany in the head. “Hey! What was that for?”

Yuri frowned and said, “I’m trying to be serious here. I wouldn’t say that to kiss your . One, I don’t need to because you’re my friend. Two, you wouldn’t allow me to do it in the first place.”

“Sorry,” apologized Tiffany. “You know how I get.”

“And that is exactly why I said what I just did,” said Yuri as she placed a hand on Tiffany’s knee. “Maybe if you find something that interests you…we could go together.” A light blush appeared on Yuri’s cheeks.

“I’ll consider it but I make no promises Yuri,” Tiffany said firmly.

Yuri smiled at Tiffany and got her things together to get ready for her next class. She stood up and before she left she gave Tiffany a quick peck on the cheek. Watching Yuri run back inside the school, Tiffany stared blankly in front of herself and held her cheek. This was the third time within the last year that Yuri caught her off guard. Each time, the blush on her face grew redder and now she felt a strange sensation in her tummy. She shook her head and thought to herself that the change in weather was making her sick before returning inside.

 

***

 

The drama club was lucky in the sense that their leader, Yuki, was still a junior this year. She had impressed the seniors so much during her freshman year, with her organizational skills, that they promoted her as co-leader with a senior last year. This  year is her first, as the full leader of the drama club. There was a lot of pressure for her to live up to the student body’s expectations for their productions. Knowing that she was in a rut, she called for an emergency meeting of the drama club one afternoon.

Yuki stood in front of the stage as the rest of the members sat in the front row. “I’d like to say thanks for you all coming to this meeting today. Last year’s play of ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ was a success thanks to all of your hard work. This year I want us to do something a bit different but I’m running a blank as to what we should do,” Yuki explained.

“So you want us to help you come up with an idea for the production,” said Mike, a senior that has been with the drama club since his freshman year.

“That’s right, Mike. You all can discuss for the rest of the week any suggestions for the production,” Yuki said, before adjusting up her glasses and looking at a notebook. “We got a nice budget for this year since the drama club alumni really liked our stuff last year and donated to our next production. The performance is scheduled for the end of May, after finals, but before graduation in June. This brings up the next topic, the seniors.”

Tiffany and Yuri looked at each other with confused faces and then at Mike. He looked pretty calm so it must not be bad news. “What about the seniors?” Tiffany asked.

“It’s been a tradition here that we pay some kind of tribute to the seniors that’ll leave us. In order for them to have some recognition, the drama club has them give some sort of performance during the play, showcasing a talent of their choice. Once we decide on what we’ll do for the production, I’d like all the seniors to come up with their contributions by the end of October so that we can work on the script and have it ready by November,” Yuki said.

After the meeting was over, both Yuri and Tiffany approached Mike. He was the only person that had been in the drama club long enough to see several seniors perform. Yuri tapped him on the shoulder and asked, “What kind of things have people done in the past?”

Mike answered, “Some took roles in more major parts of plays, others played instruments, and then there were always the singers and dancers.” He took his backpack and laughed to himself. “One year, a senior was good at making animal sounds so he played various roles of background animals. He put on a full dog costume in one scene and came out with the loudest bark. I swear, half of the audience jumped up in fear thinking he was a real dog. It was a great memory.”

“I would have paid to have seen that,” Yuri laughed.

“That’s the kind of reaction I’d hope I could give to the audience. I want to do something that they’ll cherish. I’ll see you around ladies,” said Mike, as he retreated from the auditorium.    

“It sounds like we’ll have to have to do some serious brainstorming. Can I come over this weekend to hash out some ideas with you?” asked Tiffany as she and Yuri walked into the hallway.

“Sounds like a good plan. You can spend the night just in case we stay up late going over ideas,” said Yuri.

Tiffany playfully hit Yuri’s arm. “It’s more like we’ll be up so late playing video games or watching Xena instead of working that whole time,” she stated.

“Busted,” Yuri admitted with a cheeky grin on her face. “It’s not so bad wanting to spend time with the most awesome friend in the world.” She wrapped her arm around Tiffany’s shoulder and they made their way to the lockers before leaving for the day.

 

***

 

That Saturday, Tiffany came over Yuri’s and the two bid Yuri’s mom farewell as she left to do her 12 hour shift at the hospital. Tiffany’s sleepover bag was placed in the usual spot in the closet and the two girls relaxed on the bed together. It had become a tradition for them to have, what Yuri liked to call, their ‘me time’. This was Yuri’s way of making sure that they acknowledged each other and heard out any problems or concerns. It was of utmost importance that the fallout they had last year never repeated itself. Tiffany always scoffed at the action and thought it was another excuse for Yuri to cuddle her, not that she minded but she never would let Yuri on to that little secret.

“How’s classes for you lately?” asked Yuri as she let Tiffany’s head rest on her shoulder. Her arm draped around Tiffany’s torso firmly to make sure the shorter girl didn’t escape.

“Things are as usual. I just sit there and people are gossiping about some poor unfortunate soul,” Tiffany said with her eyebrows furrowed. The pain was too raw for Tiffany, thinking back to how her classmates bullied her in attempts to get Yuri’s attention away from herself. It made her so angry at all of the humiliation they put her through.

Sensing the rigidness forming in Tiffany’s body, Yuri lightly rubbed on Tiffany’s stomach. She felt Tiffany completely stiffen, like the first night they had a sleep over, but she then noticed Tiffany relaxing as she placed her hand on top of Yuri’s. “You don’t have to worry about them anymore. I’ll make sure that never happens again,” Yuri whispered and lightly nuzzled her head against Tiffany’s.

“I know,” said Tiffany as she lightly squeezed Yuri’s hand. She closed her eyes for a moment to push away the negative thoughts in her head. Opening her eyes, she had to find a way to change the subject without seeming dismissive of Yuri’s concerns. “Did you get the results for your placement exam in Calculus?” It wasn’t long ago that Yuri was stressing about her exam. Tiffany had teased Yuri about it but had to make up for it by being uncharacteristically affectionate to soothe her friend. She hoped that the friendly memory would be enough of a diversion.

“Yeah, I was given the green light to take advanced placement calculus. I’ll take that exam at the end of the term. Hopefully, if I do well I’ll get credit and not have to take it in college,” said Yuri. “So…have you thought about what I said? You know…about college?”

Tiffany sat up and had her back towards Yuri. “I’ve considered it but I want to talk about this with my father…whenever he shows up,” she answered coolly.

The subject of parents was something that both of them purposefully avoided. Tiffany’s mom and Yuri’s dad were never in the picture. Although each of them wanted to know the history behind the absences neither had the courage to bring it up. Yuri didn’t want to spoil the mood. She went behind Tiffany on her knees and backhugged her.

“Let’s go eat something and then try to brainstorm ideas for the production,” Yuri said in a hushed tone. She nuzzled her head against the shorter girl’s head and smiled to herself.

Tiffany couldn’t help but smile at the gesture.  “I’d like that. The quicker we finish the quicker we can go back to me kicking your in Mortal Kombat,” said Tiffany with an air of arrogance.

“It’s on, mushroom,” exclaimed Yuri.

Several hours passed and neither one of them had come up with a good idea for drama club, let alone what they should do for their senior portion of the production. Yuri cooked them some kimchi ramen for a quick lunch and they both made their way to the bedroom. Tiffany threw herself on the bed and screamed into a pillow. She really wanted to finish this soon so she could have some time hanging out with Yuri. Not having any classes together this year was slowly eating at Tiffany, even if she didn’t fully realize it. Yuri sat next to the flailing girl and placed a hand on her back.

Yuri lightly rubbed the warm back up and down and said, “It’ll be okay, Fany. Why don’t we do something different…to release some tension?”

Tiffany turned her head to the side and looked at Yuri. “What do you have in mind?” she asked.

“Let’s play Dance Dance Revolution! It’ll be fun, I promise,” Yuri said with a big smile.

“Are you daft? You do realize that I have no rhythm, right?” Tiffany protested as she sat up.

“Don’t give me that crap, Fany. I’ve seen you play Guitar Hero. You have enough rhythm,” said Yuri, pulling Tiffany off the bed. Tiffany whined as she got up but everything came to a complete halt when she felt Yuri kiss her cheek. The shorter girl’s mouth opened and closed like a fish but nothing came out. “Are you going to play with me?” Yuri smiled at the light blush on Tiffany’s cheeks and the way her head bobbed up and down in agreement. She took Tiffany’s hand and led them to the living room.  

Tiffany looked at their joined hands before settling on the couch. She watched as Yuri set up her old PS2 and got her metal pads out from a closet. “You have to be pretty hardcore in order to buy not one but two metal dance pads,” Tiffany said with a chuckle as she finally stood up and walked over to the set up.

“I always excel at what I do,” smirked Yuri.

Tiffany eye rolled and stood in the middle of one pad. “Just make sure you put me on an easier mode otherwise I’ll make sure I’ll stomp on your foot,” she said with a wicked smile.

“Way to DROP THE BOMB on my Dynamite Rave,” exclaimed Yuri dramatically.

“Did you really just DDR pun me,” asked Tiffany as she punched Yuri lightly in the arm.

“I think you are just suffering from PARANOiA,” Yuri giggled.

“Cut it out, knucklehead with the puns before I change my mind,” huffed Tiffany.

“Okay, okay,” said Yuri as she reached over and Tiffany’s hair. “We can play together and then I’ll show you my moves on expert mode with double pads.”

Tiffany was interested in seeing how good Yuri really was so she agreed. While playing, she discovered that she wasn’t as bad as she thought and had to get bumped up to light mode. While Tiffany was playing casually, Yuri was in full concentration. Beads of sweet formed on her face as she continued to not miss a beat and get perfects. When Tiffany got tired Yuri continued using both pads. It was like watching a jazz dancer twist and turn about with precision. Yuri’s movements completely fascinated Tiffany. When Yuri was finally done, Tiffany had a glass of water waiting for her. The gesture was noted and the two put the game away together.

Back in the room, Tiffany waited in the bed with Yuri’s laptop listening to music while Yuri took a shower. She had been listening to songs for 15 minutes when the player shuffled to the pop version of ‘Beauty and the Beast’. It was one of Tiffany’s favorite Disney movies growing up and she smiled to herself. Her head started to nod to the beat and she sang along. Unbeknownst to her, Yuri had stepped out of the shower and heard Tiffany. Confused, Yuri placed her ear on the door to listen carefully. Her eyes opened in shock to discover Tiffany singing and it was good. Wrapping a towel around her torso, she carefully cracked opened the bathroom door to hear the beautiful melody better. Yuri was completely in awe and as the song ended she stepped out completely in her room.

“By the gods…that’s it,” Yuri exclaimed, still in a minor shock.

“What’s it and why are you quoting Xena…in a towel?” questioned Tiffany as she blushed at her slightly damp friend.

“’Beauty and the Beast!’ That’s what we can do for the production! It’ll be a musical,” said Yuri enthusiastically.

“Wait what? A musical,” asked Tiffany. “They haven’t really done musicals before, just that Shakespeare stuff.” She turned off the music player and sat on the edge of the bed looking at Yuri like she lost her mind.

Yuri smiled and said, “That’s exactly why I think we should do it! It’ll be different from what drama club normally does. AND…”

Tiffany frowned. She did not like where this was going. “And what, Yuri?” she asked cautiously.

“And you can sing while I play piano during the grand ballroom dance scene as our senior contribution,” Yuri said with a squeal.

“Whoa! Time out! I don’t sing, okay?” protested Tiffany.

Yuri frowned and sat on the bed. “Yes, you can sing, Fany,” she said.

“Uh…your bed is getting wet,” commented Tiffany, trying to change the subject.

“I don’t give a damn about my bed. What I want to know is why I had no clue that you could sing,” said Yuri as she took Tiffany’s hands in hers. “Your voice is so beautiful. You shouldn’t hide it. I was totally fangirling when I heard you sing that I completely stopped what I was doing just to listen.”

“That explains the towel...,” Tiffany said as an aside before looking at Yuri. “That’s really sweet of you to be my number one fan but I don’t know if this is such a good idea. And wait…when did you learn how to play the piano?”

Yuri grinned and went into her closet. After some rumbling, she came back out with a keyboard. She placed it on the bed, turned it on and started to play a complex improvisational piece. Tiffany’s mouth dropped in amazement. “Trust me when I say, we should do this musical and perform together. I’ll be right there with you. Let’s give it a shot, Fany,” Yuri pleaded.

Tiffany looked at Yuri and bit her lip in concentration for a few moments then answered, “Okay, but only because I want to chill out for the rest of the weekend with you.”

“Deal,” said Yuri as pushed aside the keyboard and tackle-hugged Tiffany.

“Damn it, Yuri! You’re still wet! Go dry off!” shouted Tiffany as she pushed the giggling younger girl off. Yuri scampered away while Tiffany crashed back onto the bed. “What have I gotten myself into?”

 

***

 

That Monday afternoon, the drama club gathered again to discuss ideas for their upcoming production. As expected, the suggestions were based off of plays like Shakespeare’s ‘Romeo and Juliet’ or Mark Twain’s ‘Tom Sawyer’. ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ was the top contender so far since it hadn’t been done and was a comedy. Yuki asked for any other suggestions when Yuri stood up.

“Drama club has been known around school for its great performances. However, there has always been one thing that bothered me about it,” Yuri said, pacing with her arms behind her back.

“And what’s that, Yuri?” asked Yuki with an eyebrow raised. This is the first time anyone had a major complaint about their productions so it made Yuki highly curious as to what Yuri had to say.

Yuri smiled as she saw Yuki’s demeanor change. Even if Yuri wasn’t the school’s resident goddess anymore, she still had the skills to get people caught up in her ideas. “As you know, drama club has focused primarily on dramas. I think this is why ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ was an excellent suggestion. However, I think we could do better and push the envelope,” Yuri said, drawing in the club members.  

Tiffany looked at Yuri as she paused, making the buildup almost unbearable. Yuri winked at her causing her to blush slightly and turn away. “Just get to the point, Yuri. I don’t have all evening you know,” grumbled Tiffany, eliciting a chuckle from everyone else that eased the tension.

“My grumpy partner over there and I propose that we do ‘Beauty and the Beast’ Disney musical version,” Yuri said as her club members whispered back and forth at each other. “To ensure our commitment to this performance, I will volunteer to play piano and Tiffany will sing ‘Beauty and the Beast’ during the big dance scene between Belle and the Beast. It will be our final thanks as seniors to you all.”

“And you agreed to this, Tiffany?” asked Yuki in disbelief.

Tiffany looked at Yuki with a slight blush, “She has many skills…” Yuri grinned at the comment and Tiffany instantly threw her a glare.

“That was a very interesting proposal, you two, and I believe it will make a good contender. Let’s take a vote right now. If you would like our production to be ‘A Midsummer Night’s Dream’ raise your hands,” said Yuki. A few people raised their hands in response. “Now, who would like to perform ‘Beauty and the Beast’ this year?” An overwhelming response voted in favor of the musical. “It’s settled then. ‘Beauty and the Beast’ is the winner. Thank you, Yuri and Tiffany for the idea.”

“Thank you all for giving us the chance to put on this musical. You won’t be disappointed and we’ll work hard to make sure the dance scene is magical for everyone,” Yuri said with a big smile.

“I’ll work on getting the permissions to use the script and once that is done we will meet again to plan who gets what parts. Jun, can you contact the shop teacher and let their crew know that we will need a lot of moving sets? Ami, can you see if people in the choir would like to join us as backup singers, at least for the soundtrack?” Yuki asked, delegating various tags to the club members. When the meeting was finished Yuki pulled Tiffany and Yuri aside. “This is a very ambitious project.”

Yuri nodded her head and said, “I know it is but this will show our versatility as a club and I believe you will gain the recognition that you deserve with all of your hard work. You’ll create a new legacy for us all.”

Yuki placed a hand on Yuri’s shoulder. “I know I’m the leader but as your junior I can’t thank you enough for believing in me. I never once in my dreams thought I could move up the ranks this fast but it is nice doing so with people that support me like you have. If all goes well, this would look good for my applications for theatre school next year,” Yuki said.

As Yuki continued to talk with Tiffany about the direction of the musical, Yuri’s brain was caught up at the mention of theatre school. Yuri thought to herself, “Theatre school? I never even considered that as an option. It would be fun working behind the scenes, building sets and creating the lighting for bigger productions. Is that even a real job? I wonder what it takes to get into that. Could it be cheaper than regular school? Where’s the nearest…”

“Earth to Yuri!” shouted Tiffany, which caused Yuri to jump in fright.

“Why are you shouting?” asked Yuri, slightly annoyed at being interrupted in thought.   

Tiffany crossed her arms. “Don’t get that tone of voice with me, Yuri. Yuki left a minute ago after you completely space cased on both of us. That was quite rude,” she retorted.

Yuri opened her eyes in surprise and realized her error. “I’m sorry about that. I’ll apologize to Yuki tomorrow. Don’t be mad, Fany,” Yuri said, reaching out her hand to soothingly rub Tiffany’s arm.

“Hmph! That’s not going to butter me up, Yuri Kwon,” Tiffany said, quickly turning, more so to hide the blush that formed on her face from the contact. She internally cursed at herself for getting worked up around Yuri. This was normal between the two of them now. Her thoughts stopped when she felt herself getting backhugged.

“Tiffany,” Yuri whispered next to Tiffany’s ear. “I’m not letting you go until you tell me.”

“Déjà vu,” whispered Tiffany.

Yuri was confused and asked, “Really?”

Tiffany nodded and answered, “Mmm. You told me that same thing right before you followed me home…before that week of hell…”

Yuri’s embrace tightened around Tiffany. “I’d give anything to take away that week from you,” she whispered.

Shaking her head Tiffany whispered back, “Don’t. We wouldn’t be who we are today without that week. I wouldn’t appreciate you as much as I do now.”

“Even when I wronged you just now,” asked Yuri hesitantly.

“I was more annoyed than wronged by that. I’ll get over it by tomorrow. I promise. As your punishment, you have to walk me home holding my hand,” Tiffany said with a blush.

Yuri grinned finally remembering the memory between the two and said, “If that’s what it takes.”

Tiffany smiled and whispered to herself, “Déjà vu again.”

 

***

 

Several weeks passed and the musical was underway. Every day after classes were over and they weren’t needed in drama club, Yuri and Tiffany would go to the music room to practice. It didn’t take Yuri long to memorize the sheet music for ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and Tiffany was already prepared, knowing the song by heart. One particular afternoon Tiffany was really out of it and kept messing up her parts.

“Are you okay, Fany?” asked Yuri as she stopped playing in the middle of the song.

Tiffany looked at Yuri confusedly for a moment before she realized that she blanked out again. She sighed and said, “Yeah…I’m fine.”

Yuri didn’t believe her. Normally, she doesn’t press any issues that Tiffany doesn’t want to discuss but she did this time since it was crucial that they got their performance as perfect as possible for the musical. “If there is anything you want to talk about I’m always here to listen,” Yuri gently said.

Looking at her friend at the piano, Tiffany bit her lip. It’s been over a year since they became friends and Tiffany thought that now is as good of a time to open up herself to Yuri. “Are you busy this weekend?” she asked.

“No. I’m free the entire time. Why?” Yuri asked back.

“Can you spend the weekend with me? Not at your place but mine,” Tiffany said hesitantly. “You can come with me after school tomorrow if that’s okay.”

“I can do that,” Yuri assured.

Tiffany nodded and then looked away from Yuri. “I don’t think I’ll be able to continue today. I have a lot on my mind right now,” she said.

Yuri stood up and Tiffany’s hair once before putting her arm around the shorter girl’s shoulders. “It seemed like it. We can continue this next week to give you some time to recharge,” Yuri said. Unexpectedly, Tiffany turned and rested her head on Yuri’s shoulder. It was different seeing Tiffany so vulnerable. Yuri hugged Tiffany to let her know that she didn’t reject this new side.

The two stood there in silence for several minutes. Yuri could feel Tiffany’s breathing becoming more labored. Tiffany stood back and looked at Yuri with watery eyes. “I’ll tell you why I’m like this on the weekend. I gotta go,” she whispered before leaving the room.

Yuri stood there even though every cell in her body was screaming for her to catch up with Tiffany and not let go again. However, she trusted Tiffany’s words and decided to wait for Tiffany to tell her when she felt ready to do so. With a heavy heart, Yuri packed up her things and went home. Tomorrow couldn’t come any sooner.

 

***

 

Throughout the whole day on Friday, Yuri was a nervous wreck. Not only did she have to deal with the lack of sleep but when she realized that this would be the first time she spent the night at Tiffany’s, it made her antsy. Now she understood why Tiffany was so stiff that first time they had a sleepover. Unlike Tiffany, Yuri knew how to play it cool so no one noticed how off she really was the whole day. When Yuri saw Tiffany at her locker at the end of the day, her heart sank. Tiffany’s face by default almost had a sad look to it, until she smiled, but today the somberness in her features really stood out.

Yuri walked up to Tiffany and quietly asked, “Hey Fany, ready to go?”

Tiffany turned to Yuri, and with a weak smile she nodded her head. “Let’s get your stuff and go,” she said and closed her locker.

The walk home was quiet for the both of them. Soon the sun was barely peaking over the horizon when they made it to Tiffany’s place. She unlocked the door for the both of them and it was dark inside with no one else home. Yuri didn’t notice the first time when she came over because she was in a fit of rage from Tiffany not telling her about the bullying. This time, though, the emptiness shook Yuri to the core.

“Um…Fany…I,” Yuri started but was interrupted when Tiffany put her index finger up to Yuri’s lips.

“I promise you tomorrow I’ll explain everything,” Tiffany said quietly. “It’s asking a lot of you since you don’t know what’s happening…” She broke her gaze from Yuri and for a moment; it seemed like she was having an internal conflict but after a few moments she continued. “…I need you here with me Yuri. I’m tired of doing this alone.”

Yuri instantly dropped her sleep bag and took Tiffany’s hand. She led them both to the couch, the same one where they almost severed their bond. Sitting down first, Yuri pulled Tiffany into her arms and held her. Words need not be spoken as the two sat there in the growing darkness. Too sad to eat, they both stayed on the couch comforting one another until sleep claimed them. 

The next morning Tiffany woke up first from the beams of light hitting her eyes. She found herself on top of Yuri with the later still hugging her. She tried to shift out of her current position but Yuri’s grip was strong. Even in her sleep, Yuri made sure Tiffany was secured and that made the shorter girl genuinely smile for the first time in the last couple of days.

“Yuri. Yuri, wake up!” Tiffany said as she lightly rubbed Yuri’s shoulder.

“Five more minutes, Mama,” mumbled Yuri, loosening her grip.

Tiffany looked at Yuri sleeping for several moments. Watching her friend sleep put her at ease for some reason. She smiled to herself and leaned down to place a lingering kiss on Yuri’s cheek. Yuri’s eyes slowly flickered open from the unknown sensation. When they came into focus she saw Tiffany hovering over her slightly, bathed in rays of light.

“Morning, sleepy head. We have a trip to take soon,” Tiffany whispered.

Yuri noticing the position that they were in she released Tiffany, who finally sat up. “Uh…m..morning,” Yuri shyly said as she sat up, scratching the back of her head. Her mind wandered back to the sensation that woke her up causing her to blush. There was no way Tiffany had kissed her check since Tiffany was not the affectionate type. She shook her head to stop imagining things. “Where are we going?”

 Tiffany stood up and answered, “To go see my mom.”

“Oh, she doesn’t live here with you anymore?” asked Yuri.

“Not since I was 10. Let’s get ready, grab some breakfast, and go. I want to be home before evening if possible,” Tiffany said, not looking back as she took Yuri’s things to her room. Yuri waited patiently for Tiffany to come back for her.

The journey to see Tiffany’s mother was a long one. They had to take 3 buses to get to the small town. It was where Tiffany’s mother grew up. Many trees surrounded the town and the air was fresh. Yuri couldn’t help but marvel at the beauty of this place. It felt more peaceful than the city they lived in now. Getting off the bus, the two had to walk down a long road. On the way, tiny homes disappeared into grassy plots making Yuri confused.

“Your mom lives here?” Yuri asked as she saw a gate coming up in the distance. Tiffany took Yuri’s hand and continued to walk in silence. When they finally reached the gate Yuri’s eyes widened as she read “Cemetery” on the plaque above. “Oh my God…” She looked at Tiffany who had a weak smile on her face. Yuri could see tears forming in Tiffany’s eyes. Tiffany’s grip on her hand got a little tighter.

“Yesterday…was the anniversary of her death,” said Tiffany as one tear fell down her cheek.

Yuri cupped Tiffany’s cheek and wiped the tear away with her thumb. “Let’s go meet her,” Yuri said with a smile. She took Tiffany’s hand and was led to the tombstone.

Tiffany sat down on the grass in front of the tombstone and Yuri sat next to her. “Mama, I brought a friend with me today for the first time. Say hi, Yuri,” Tiffany whispered to Yuri.

“Hi, Mrs. Hwang. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Yuri said waving at the tombstone. “I love the peacefulness of this town. I just wanted to say that I am very thankful that you gave birth to my awesome friend here. Life would have without my little mushroom so yeah…thanks a bunch.” Yuri gave a cheesy grin at the tombstone.

“Did you really just sweet talk my mom?” Tiffany deadpanned at Yuri.

“She seemed like a nice lady raising a daughter like you, my little mushroom,” Yuri said with a big grin.

Tiffany shook her head and couldn’t help but laugh. She knew that Yuri was trying to cheer her up even in a situation like this. She looked at Yuri and it wiped the grin off her face. Before Yuri could say anything, Tiffany pecked her cheek and whispered, “Thank you.” This effectively shut Yuri up and left her stunned for the whole conversation. Tiffany talked with her mother about how they became friends.

Back at Tiffany’s place, the two ordered some pizza together and watched videos. Yuri wanted to know more about Tiffany’s past but she waiting for Tiffany to initiate. The one thing that bothered Yuri was the fact that even though they had been friends for a year, she had no clue about Tiffany’s mother. Yuri wanted to feel angry but remembered that she too had secrets that she didn’t share with Tiffany.

“Yuri?” asked Tiffany, shaking Yuri out of her train of thought.

“Yes, mushroom? Did you need something?” Yuri asked back.

Tiffany shook her head and replied, “No. You were staring into oblivion for the last few minutes. I can take a guess that it’s about my mom.” Yuri nodded her head. With a sigh Tiffany turned off the TV. “Let’s go upstairs to bed and I’ll tell you all about it.”

“Okay,” agreed Yuri. She helped Tiffany put the rest of the pizza away and the both of them got ready for bed. Yuri waited for Tiffany to come back into the room on the bed. She held onto the pink bear that was on the bed. It looked out of place compared to everything else in the red room.

“My mom gave me that bear,” Tiffany said startling Yuri slightly. Tiffany chuckled at the sight and turned off the main light. She walked over to the bed and the lamp on the desk next to it. Yuri handed the bear over to her and Tiffany cuddled it as she sat next to Yuri. “At one point in life, I was just like you, Yuri. I loved pink. After mom died though, it was hard to like the color. It always reminded me of her but I never had the heart to get rid of the bear she always tucked me in with at night.”

Yuri swallowed hard after hearing Tiffany’s tale but she wanted to know more, how Tiffany got to that point. “How did she die?” Yuri asked gently.

“Mom’s BFF, cancer, came and took her. I really wish cancer would just go die in a fire or something,” said Tiffany with growing anger. “She didn’t deserve that. He should have been the one!” Tiffany slammed her first on the bed.

Yuri was shocked by the outburst but moved closer to rub Tiffany’s back in attempt to soothe her. “Who’s he?” Yuri asked.

Tiffany took a deep breath and exhaled. She held the bear to her chest for a moment to gain her bearings and continued, “My father, if you want to even call him that. My parents got married really young at 18. Not long after that, my sister was born.”

“Whoa, I didn’t know you had an older sister,” Yuri said, shocked.

“Mmm…she doesn’t come around that often now. After she was born, my parents tried hard to have a baby boy. It took mom 8 years to get pregnant again but she ended up having me,” Tiffany said staring off into the distance. “Father couldn’t stand the fact that mom popped out girls. He was too damn stubborn to admit the problem might have been with him. He kept pushing on her to have another baby.”

Yuri stopped rubbing Tiffany’s back and pulled Tiffany into a backhug. “She didn’t get another chance did she?” Yuri asked carefully.

Tiffany shook her head and said, “No. Mom was diagnosed with cancer and died when I was 10. Ever since then, my father couldn’t stand being around me and my sister. All he did was focus on his business and sending enough money for us to get by. It wasn’t fair to my sister, Yuri! She was only 18 and taking care of me!” Tiffany sniffled, trying to hold back the tears from sadness and anger. “She spent 5 damn years working a job and taking care of me so that she could have enough money to go to college. She didn’t want to depend on him to pay. Her pride would have been hurt.”

Yuri kissed the side of Tiffany’s head and held her close. “So you are all by yourself…” she trailed off at the sudden realization.

“Not completely,” sniffed Tiffany as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “Father comes back every 8 months or so to make sure the place is in one piece. Sis comes here every other weekend to do laundry and check up on me. Most of the time, it’s just me though.”

Yuri pulled away and looked at Tiffany with complete seriousness. “Tiffany, you can stay with us on the weekends when no one is here,” Yuri said with determination.

“That’s nice of you, Yuri, but you don’t have to because you feel sorry for me,” Tiffany said.

“No, that’s not it at all,” Yuri said and took Tiffany’s hands. She let out a little sigh. “I don’t feel sorry for you at all. It’s not the same but when I was 7, my dad walked out on me and my mom.” Tiffany’s eyes opened wide at the revelation. It wasn’t something that Yuri wanted to remember much but this was the only way to get her message across to Tiffany. “I never really hated him but I always wished I could do something more for him to notice us…to notice me.”

Things made more sense now. “I guess we both had our reasons for being how we are now,” Tiffany said with a small smile.

“Yeah and that’s why I want to get to know you even more now,” Yuri said placing a kiss on Tiffany’s knuckles. “It’s been a year and it’s like…we’re still strangers, until now. I like that we can talk about stuff like this. Don’t you?”

Tiffany nodded and whispered, “I do.”

“I want you, Tiffany… in my life even more than I did before,” Yuri said causing Tiffany to blush. “I don’t want you just staying here all alone and bored when you got me and Xena to watch.” She pulled Tiffany into a hug. “Please say yes, Fany.”

Moisture was accumulating on Tiffany’s shoulder. Tiffany couldn’t believe that Yuri was crying. She rubbed Yuri’s back and whispered in her ear, “I’ll come over. You don’t need to worry anymore. I’m sorry about the last few days.”

Yuri pulled away and smiled with tears sliding down her cheeks. “You don’t have to be sorry, Fany. It’s a tough time for you but you’ll never have to do it alone cause you got me now,” Yuri said sniffling.

Tiffany lay down on the bed and turned off the lamp next to her. “Come here. Let’s go to sleep,” she said and Yuri joined her. They spent the rest of the night in each other’s arms finally feeling relief from the stress.  

 

***

 

Yuri looked into Tiffany’s eyes intensely. Her hand cupped Tiffany’s blushing cheek. “I want you, Tiffany. I want you so badly,” whispered Yuri.

“Yuri,” Tiffany whispered back as she placed her hand on top of Yuri’s.

“I want us to be closer than we have before,” Yuri said with conviction before slowly coming closer to Tiffany’s face. Tiffany looked at Yuri’s lips and found herself getting closer and closed her eyes. She could feel Yuri’s breath tickling her nose. Just a little more and they could be together like they never have.

“GAAAAAAAAAAAH!”

Tiffany fell off of the bed. She opened her eyes in a panic as her heart beat rapidly. Her face was completely hot. Eyes searching around everywhere, she finally realized she was in her room, alone.

“What in the hell was that?” Tiffany whispered to herself. She climbed back into the bed and tried to close her eyes but then the image of Yuri almost kissing her popped back up. “Oh my God! What the hell is wrong with me?” She smacked herself with both hands on the cheeks and shook her head. “Why would I even dream that?” In frustration, Tiffany put a pillow over her face and thrashed her legs about.

 

***

 

Several weeks had passed since Yuri and Tiffany’s weekend visit to the gravesite. As promised, Tiffany stayed with Yuri when she was going to be alone on the weekends. Everything was fine with that arrangement except for the fact that Tiffany now has that reoccurring dream about Yuri. It confused her to no end that Yuri wanted to kiss her in the dream. The look in Yuri’s eyes was too different compared to the day she said those words. It made Tiffany so frustrated, especially at night. When Yuri was sleeping, she couldn’t catch a wink of sleep because she would never know if she’d wake up screaming from embarrassment. Instead, she would turn to her side and look at Yuri’s even breathing. She would stiffen up looking at Yuri’s lips and that cute little tongue that stuck out. Only when her body was completely exhausted did she pass out.

Tiffany opened her eyes and saw Yuri staring at her. Her breath hitched for a moment, realizing how close they were to each other. “G..g..good morning,” Tiffany said pulling back slightly.      

“Morning, Fany. You’ve been sleeping in lately. Are you okay?” Yuri asked with concern all over her face.

“Uh yeah,” Tiffany said trying to think up of some excuse but settled for a half truth. “I’ve been having some dreams that’ve been keeping me up at night.”

“Do you want to talk about it?” Yuri asked again. Seeing that Tiffany was becoming stressed again, Yuri moved closer and pulled Tiffany into a hug. “You don’t have to tell me now.”

Tiffany felt bad for not opening up to Yuri about this so she decided to change the subject. “Yuri, what are you going to do about college?” she asked.

“Ah,” Yuri said thinking that this was what was upsetting Tiffany. She pulled away from the shorter girl and propped her head on her arm while looking at her. “I’ve actually been thinking about that a lot lately. We have our next exams coming up in a few weeks but all my heart has really been into is the musical. It’s been really fun helping design the set this time with the crew so far. That got me thinking that maybe what I really want to do is something with productions.”

Sitting up, Tiffany looked at Yuri with confusion. “You can really do that for a profession? Like, what would be the major?” she asked with honest curiosity.

Yuri grinned and got off the bed to get her laptop. She came back and opened up a website for a school that majored in theatre. “See this here, Fany? This is a major for Theatre Design and Stagecraft. With this major, I could continue with the soundboard, design more sets, work on the lighting, and I also would get to help making the costumes and researching the stuff for accuracy. It’s pretty cool, huh?” Yuri said with enthusiasm.

“Wow, I never would have thought about this. How did you?” Tiffany asked looking at the website.

Yuri looked at Tiffany, seeing her interest in the subject and smiled to herself. She leaned her chin on Tiffany’s shoulder. “It was actually Yuki. She mentioned something about theatre school when we were trying to pick the production. That made my light bulb flicker on top of my head. I really liked what we do together in drama club. It’s fun. I want to have fun when I grow up. Why not keep doing what we do now?” Yuri said leaning her head on Tiffany’s.

“We?” Tiffany asked finally peeling her eyes away from the laptop and side glancing Yuri.

“Uh huh. We,” stated Yuri as she sat up again and scrolled through the website. “Look Fany, they offer a major in Theatrical Production Management. It’s pretty much what you are doing now. Yuki plots all of our stuff and you make it happen directing all of us worker ants. You got skills for it Manager Hwang!”

Tiffany hit Yuri’s arm. “You all aren’t my ants. This is kind of cool though. I never really thought about this,” Tiffany said reading on.

“We could go to the same school, Fany,” Yuri said seriously. Tiffany looked at Yuri finally getting at what she was saying. “We could still be together.”

“Let me think about it Yuri,” Tiffany whispered. Yuri nodded and rested her forehead on Tiffany’s shoulder. Tiffany leaned her head on Yuri’s and continued to read about the new major in front of her eyes.

 

***

 

Another round of exams passed and the student body was mentally drained. That didn’t stop drama club from moving on with the production. They were now starting the read through rehearsals for the play and practicing the senior portions of the show. Mike turned out to be an excellent juggler and so his talents would shine the most during the Be Our Guest number. Even Yuki cracked a smile while watching him fall on his and still maintain the rhythm to throw three balls in the air. The thing everyone wanted to see was the number between Yuri and Tiffany. Everyone sat in the audience seats waiting for the two to come out from behind the curtain.

“I’m nervous, Yuri,” Tiffany said as she wiped the sweat from her palms.

“You’ll be fine, Fany. It’s just like how we practiced in the music room. If you get nervous just look at me and I’ll guide you through,” Yuri said confidently and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Let’s go.”

The two of them entered the stage area, Tiffany closer to the edge of the stage in front of the piano, and Yuri taking her place on the piano bench. Tiffany looked at Yuri and took a deep breath. Yuri nodded and began playing the introduction. Tiffany took a deep breath and faced the audience. She began singing and several mouths dropped in astonishment.

“Oh my god,” Yuki whispered to herself as she listened to Tiffany’s rendition.

Yuri looked out into the audience and smiled when she saw their faces. That was exactly the same reaction when she heard Tiffany for the first time. Tiffany looked at Yuri and received the biggest smile. Tiffany smiled in return and lost all her nervousness. She sang the song with as much feeling and passion as she could. When it was over Yuki was the first to stand up and clap. The rest of the drama club followed suit much to Tiffany’s surprise.

Yuri got up from the piano bench and placed an arm around Tiffany’s waist. “I told you, your singing is really beautiful,” she whispered into Tiffany’s ear. Tiffany blushed at the compliment and the proximity. “I’m going to enjoy this weekend. It’ll be you, me, Mom, and a whole bunch of relaxation.” She smiled and ushered them both down the stage.

“Easy for you to say,” Tiffany thought to herself. Not only was it a weekend to visit Yuri but it was also Yuri’s birthday weekend.

 

***

 

This year, Tiffany had personally requested Yuri to not celebrate her birthday so much since last year Yuri gave her a necklace with the small mushroom charm. By now, neither one of them paid much attention to it but Tiffany wore it or at least had it on her person all the time. It was one of her most treasured items in the whole world. Now with Yuri’s birthday coming up, she didn’t know how to top that gift. There was no way she could afford to give Yuri any jewelry. Instead, she opted to get Yuri a Mickey plush and put a little pink bow tie on it since Yuri liked pink so much. She also made Yuri a small mini two layered strawberry cake. It had a pink dolphin on top since it reminded her of how much Yuri liked to swim. Luckily, she had arranged it with Yuri’s mom to pick up her and the gifts up early.

When they arrived at the Kwon residence, Tiffany went straight to Yuri’s room and opened the door quietly. She saw Yuri sleeping on her side peacefully and she snuck carefully into the bed. Tiffany snuggled up close until she backhugged Yuri and wrapped her arm around Yuri’s waist. The sleeping girl adjusted herself and put her hand on Tiffany’s. Tiffany could hear the steady breathing from Yuri and decided to catch some needed sleep as well.

When Yuri finally woke up, she found herself being embraced. She smiled at the fact that the first thing she got on her 18th birthday was a hug from Tiffany. Things have changed so much for them since last year. She turned around in Tiffany’s arms, causing the shorter girl to wake up as well.

Tiffany looked at Yuri and smiled. “Happy birthday, Yuri,” she whispered in a husky voice.

The sight and whisper that came from her friend’s mouth made Yuri’s stomach do a flip. She never had that happen before and was stuck in a stupor for a few moments. She finally said, “Thank you.”

“I wanted to surprise you this morning. I take it that it worked,” giggled Tiffany.

“It sure did,” Yuri said while throwing a leg over Tiffany’s side.

“Hey, did I say you could koala me this early in the morning?” asked Tiffany with a fake pout.

Yuri smirked and said, “It’s my birthday and if I want to koala you in my bed I can do so.”

“One year older and you still haven’t learned how to get rid of that cockiness. I’ll break you one day, Kwon,” Tiffany said, giving Yuri noogies.

“Yah!” exclaimed Yuri as she pulled away and grabbed a pillow. Tiffany grabbed another one and they started an epic pillow fight.

The two girls played around for a bit until Yuri’s mom called them down for breakfast. After eating and Yuri getting ready for the day, the three of them spent most of the time talking and playing board games. It was always fun playing Monopoly at the Kwon residence. All three of them were ruthless enough to end friendships and cause family rifts but once it was all over they just laughed and talked about what they would do next time.

Yuri and Tiffany relaxed in front of the TV after eating dinner when Yuri’s mom told them to come to the kitchen. “Tiffany, help close Yuri’s eyes,” Yuri’s mom said. Nodding her head, Tiffany got behind Yuri and covered both eyes with her hands. Yuri smiled like a little kid as they slowly walked to the kitchen table. Yuri sat down on one of the chairs, getting ready to see her usual chocolate cake by her mother. “You can open them now, my baby.”

Yuri opened her eyes but instead of the chocolate cake, a small strawberry cake with the hand drawn dolphin was on there. She was shocked at first but a smile appeared on her face. “Mama?” Yuri asked with tears forming up.

Yuri’s mom nodded at Tiffany to explain. Tiffany squatted down in front of Yuri and placed her hands on her knees. “I really didn’t know what to do for your birthday, so I made you this cake instead. I hope you like it,” Tiffany said shyly.

“I love it,” Yuri sobbed and fanned her face as she started crying.

“Don’t cry, Yuri,” Tiffany said and moved to hug her crying friend.

“I’m so happy,” Yuri said trying to hold back the tears.

Yuri’s mom also started wiping her tears. It’s the first time anyone beside herself made Yuri a cake. “Happy birthday, baby,” she said giving Yuri a kiss on the top of her head. “We’ll have my cake later but I want you go on ahead and try that cake Tiffany slaved over for you. Come on now.” She went on to get a candle out of the cupboard and placed it in the small cake. She lit it and they both began to sing Happy Birthday to Yuri.

“Make a wish, Yuri,” Tiffany said, eye smiling at Yuri.

Yuri took Tiffany’s hand and blew out the candle. She then saw Tiffany take a bit of the frosting on her finger and put it on her nose. “Hey!” she shouted with a laugh. Tiffany giggled in return and released Yuri’s hand to cut the cake. She took the piece and placed it on a plate. Yuri was about to pick it up when Tiffany stopped her. “Why won’t you let me taste your pretty cake?”

Yuri’s mom left the kitchen to leave the two friends together. When Tiffany saw that Yuri’s mom was gone she kissed Yuri’s frosted nose. “Cause, I’m going to feed it all to you, birthday girl,” she said. Yuri blushed completely at what was done and what Tiffany just said. “Open wide for me, silly.” Yuri complied and nearly melted when she tasted the first bite. “You like it?”

Yuri shook her head causing Tiffany to frown. “I love it,” Yuri said with a grin.

“Yah!” Tiffany shouted smacking Yuri in the shoulder. “Don’t be so mean.” She pouted and Yuri laughed.

“I’m sorry, Fany,” she said sincerely and kissed Fany on the cheek. “It’s really good.”

“Really?” Tiffany asked.

“Yeah, better than my mom’s,” Yuri whispered. “But don’t tell her that.” She grinned and opened wide for another bite. Tiffany shook her head and continued to feed her friend.

When they were done eating cake and lounging around the living room, the two went back to Yuri’s room to go to bed. Yuri plopped on the bed and let out a huge laugh. “This is by far one of the best birthdays I’ve had ever,” she said.

“It’s not over yet. I have one more thing to give you,” Tiffany said causing Yuri to sit up.

Tiffany went out the room and got the Mickey plush that was hidden in the storage closet. She then held it behind her arms and walked back. Then she uncharacteristically ran up to the bed and presented the plush to Yuri. This earned her a huge squeal and Yuri hugged it tight.

“It’s so cute. I love it! I’m going to cuddle it every night. Thank you, Fany,” Yuri said with another huge smile.

Tiffany sat on the edge of the bed and sighed with relief. “I’m glad you liked it. I didn’t know what to get you,” she said.

Yuri patted the bed next to her and Tiffany sat beside her. She wrapped her arm around Tiffany’s shoulder and said, “You by far are the best present that I’ve ever received. Just having you in my life now is a gift that I get to be thankful for every day.”

“You’re being silly again,” Tiffany protested with a blush.

“I’m 100% serious,” Yuri answered immediately.

Tiffany looked at Yuri and saw the same look she had seen in her dream. This time it was reality and she buried her face in Yuri’s shoulder to hide the blush. “Yuri,” she whispered, hugging Yuri. Yuri kissed the side of Tiffany’s head and hugged both her and the new Mickey plush.  

 

***

 

Practices were well underway for ‘Beauty and the Beast’. They would meet several times a week to see how the different sets were looking in the auditorium and doing some read overs to get the feel for where they should position everyone. While Yuki was busy trying to get the production in order, she began to notice how friendlier Yuri and Tiffany were acting towards each other. Normally, Yuri would be the one to tease Tiffany, causing the shorter girl to throw a fit and whack Yuri on the head. Lately, Tiffany has been all smiles towards Yuri and her hits were weaker than before. One afternoon Yuki was taking a break, watching everyone working on their assigned tasks. Every so often she’ll see Tiffany observing Yuri before going back to work.

“Tiffany could you come over for a bit?” asked Yuki, taking out some cookies from her bag. Tiffany came over with a confused look on her face and sat next to her. “What’s the status of the teams so far?”

“The choir is just about ready to do rehearsals here, maybe in a week or two. The dancers still have some time to go but they would like to start practicing on stage after the start of the New Year. Uh…I think that’s it for things outside of the drama club. Everyone else is pretty much on schedule,” Tiffany said as she looked off to the side and met eyes with Yuri again.

Yuki noticed the slight pink tint forming on Tiffany’s face. “That’s good then. Want a cookie?” she offered. Seeing Tiffany eating the cookie, she leaned her arm on the back of the seat and propped her head up in her hand. “It seems like you and Yuri are getting a long better nowadays.”

Tiffany almost choked on her cookie. She coughed for a moment and looked at Yuki in shock. “W…what would make you say a thing like that?” she asked with her face turning red.

Yuki smiled at Tiffany and took a nibble of her cookie. “Cause your attitude towards Yuri has been different.”

“Huh? My attitude? She’s the same annoying dork that she’s always been since we met,” Tiffany said. 

“That’s right and you’ve been more tolerant of her lately. It’s not a bad thing, Tiffany, I just happened to notice,” Yuki stated, eating more of her cookie. “I wish I had someone I could be that comfortable around.”

Tiffany looked at Yuri working with the other stage crew members. Her friend was smiling and laughing with the others, making Tiffany’s heart race a little. “Yeah, I can’t believe I almost lost her over that big misunderstanding,” she whispered. She looked at Yuki with a small smile. “Even though I’ve only known her for a year now, Yuri’s changed my life for the better. I mean, look at us. No way would we have thought we’d hang like this, working on plays and stuff.”  

“And what will you do after graduation?” asked Yuki.

Eyes looking down on the floor, Tiffany frowned. Graduation. It was the one thing that hung over her head like a dark cloud. It threatened the very happiness that she wanted to keep. If only… “Yuri’s been talking about theatre school. I really didn’t have any plans to go to college but Yuri said there was a major even for me in theatre,” she said then laughed to herself. “Did you know this crazy girl wanted us to go to school together and work in a production company after that?”

Yuki bit into her cookie with a knowing look and said, “Hmmm…I think Yuri wants to keep spending time with you for a long time. It almost sounds like she got a crush on you.”

The cookie dropped from Tiffany’s hand and she looked at Yuri’s direction with open. She thought to herself, “Yuri…a crush on me? No way. She just likes all the attention. Why in the hell would she like a person like me?”

“Earth to Tiffany,” said Yuki.

“Huh? What? Oh,” Tiffany jumbled, blush creeping on her cheeks more than before. “Yuri just likes hanging around with me cause I’m the only one that can tolerate her silliness. That’s all.”

Yuki stood up and stretched. “Either way, it might not be a bad idea. What do you really have to lose?” she asked before walking away, leaving Tiffany to stew over what was said.

 

***

 

Another weekend arrived and this time Yuri came over Tiffany’s place. It was always so quiet at Tiffany’s but at the same time the two had the freedom to do what they wanted. They were both on Tiffany’s bed, Yuri reading a comic while Tiffany played a music game on her phone. In between songs, Tiffany would take a side glance at Yuri. Her expressions were vivid as she read different parts of the comic. It made Tiffany want to watch her friend even closer. Yuki’s words burning into Tiffany’s skull, the shorter girl blushed and decided to continue playing the game. As much as she tried, she was too distracted and turned it off.

“Yuri?” Tiffany hesitantly asked.

“What’s up, Fany?” Yuri replied putting her comic book down.

“Did you really mean what you said about us being together?” Tiffany asked. Yuri sat up completely straight and looked at Tiffany with an unreadable expression. Tiffany got nervous, remembering the dream she had. “I mean…with college and all.”

Yuri set the comic book down on the bed and turned to face Tiffany. “I am 100% sure that I want us to go to the same school and be part of the same production company. We got so many things to learn from each other. It’ll be tragic if it all ends after this year,” Yuri said with a small frown.

“I’ve been thinking about it. We have about two weeks before we need to start considering the applications. I’ll try with you,” Tiffany said. Yuri squealed and bounced up and down in the bed before giving Tiffany a big hug. “Hold up, Yuri.” She pushed Yuri off of her body and gave her a sad smile. “I’m applying now but that doesn’t mean I will get in. Even if I do, I can’t afford to go to school.”

“What will you do then?” asked Yuri, furrowing her brows.

Tiffany sighed and looked off to the side. “I’m gonna have to ask my father,” she whispered. 

Yuri gasped at the thought of that man who left Tiffany and her sister alone for so long. “Do you really want to do that? I mean…is he even gonna help you?” she asked, worried.

“I don’t really have a choice, Yuri. If I could, I’d say ‘to hell with him’ and make it on my own but I don’t have a job like my sister. Let alone, I don’t want to wait that long to go to school. You’d be done already. If I have to suffer through college, you better believe it’s going to be with you. I won’t do it if you aren’t there,” Tiffany said with a blush.

Smiling, Yuri brushed Tiffany’s hair behind her ear and cupped her face. “I won’t leave you, Fany. We’re in this together,” she whispered.

“I’m scared, Yuri. I don’t know how he will react to all of this,” Tiffany whispered and closed her eyes. “He’s hated me for so long…I just…”

“Shh,” Yuri said and pulled Tiffany into a hug. “No one in the world can hate you. You are too precious. I think he is hurting in his own way. It’s not right to you but people do and say things they regret out of anger and sadness.”

“Mmm. When you put it that way, I guess you’re right. What if he says no, Yuri? Then what?” Tiffany asked and pulled away.

“It’s simple. I’ll wait for you,” Yuri answered.

Tiffany’s mouth dropped before she asked, “Are you kidding me?”

Yuri shook her head and said, “No. I’m dead serious. I’ll hold off college until you are ready.”

“That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Why in the hell would you waste your life like that? You love doing theatre work. Just go for it no matter what,” Tiffany said.

Yuri took Tiffany’s hand and said, “That’s how much I believe in you. Yes, it might be stupid but I have no doubts that you’ll get in and convince your dad. I’m not worried.”

“Your blind faith amazes me at times,” Tiffany replied dryly.

“That’s why you heart me so much,” Yuri said as she created a heart with her fingers.

“Oy! I do not, you dork!” exclaimed Tiffany, turning around not to face Yuri with her blush.

Yuri grinned and got on her knees. She back hugged Tiffany and whispered in her ear, “You can’t get rid of me that easily. We’re sticking together like Xena and Gabrielle.”

“What are we, soulmates now?” Tiffany asked sarcastically.

Yuri’s grip on Tiffany got tighter and for a few moments she rested her face on Tiffany’s shoulder. Yuri then whispered, “Only time will tell if we share their fate.” She let go of Tiffany and left to go to the bathroom.

Tiffany watched Yuri’s retreating figure and decided right then that she would call her father tomorrow about the tuition.

 

***

 

“It’s not that often that you call me, Miyoung. You know that I am a busy man,” said Tiffany’s father, annoyed at the interruption.

“I know. I’ve been thinking about things lately. It’s my senior year and we all have to decide on what colleges we want to go to. I want to go to theatre school,” Tiffany said without a waiver in her voice. There was silence on the phone for several seconds. “Hello?”

“I heard what you said Miyoung. Why are you asking me this now? Do you realize how much money that would cost?” said Tiffany’s father, raising his voice.

“Yes, I do. It’s sudden but I really want to do this. I finally have something that I’m good at. I don’t want to be sitting here waiting, doing nothing for my life,” said Tiffany as she clenched the phone tighter in her hand.

“Why couldn’t you at least find a school that would make you a better product for society? Theatre is just a waste of time put on by people who are too obsessed with the bohemian lifestyle,” shouted Tiffany’s dad.

“Daddy, I never asked one thing from you in all of my life,” Tiffany started, taking in a deep breath not to cry. “I know you hated me since the day I was born…”

“Miyoung,” whispered the man on the phone, stunned at what he just heard.

“You don’t have to lie to me. I know that’s how you feel and I accept it.  I swear to you on Mother’s grave that this is something I want to do. I don’t want your decision now. Come to the musical May 21st at 5pm at the high school auditorium. If you hate what you saw then I won’t bother you any more about this, but if you like what I accomplished then help me fulfil my dream. I will never ask of anything else again,” Tiffany finished before hanging up. She knew it was rude but right now she couldn’t face her father with whatever he had to say. Her eyes closed and she brought her hand up to her chest and touched her necklace. Feeling an overwhelming darkness cover her, she sat next to the wall and dialed Yuri.

“Kwon residence,” Yuri answered. Realizing Tiffany was on the phone, she stopped reading her comic book. “How did it go?”

Tiffany sighed and said, “I pretty much told him to come to the play and see for himself whether I’m good enough to go to college.”

“That’s a big risk. Did he agree to it?” Yuri asked with concern.

“I didn’t let him answer me. He obviously didn’t care too much since he didn’t call back asking anything,” Tiffany said sighing again. “It’s done now. Only he will know whether he’ll do it or not. I better prepare for him not to give me money though.”

Yuri stared up at the ceiling for a few moments before she said, “You’ll room with me. I’m already gonna get help from Mama with an apartment. This way the only thing you’ll have to worry about is the tuition and fees for stuff.”

Smiling for the first time since the conversation with her father, Tiffany whispered, “I don’t know what I’d do without you. Thank you.”

“That’s what friends are for. I’ll see you tomorrow at school and will make sure to give you an extra-long hug,” Yuri said happily.  After they said their goodbyes and hung up, Yuri balled her fist up. “I’ll make sure he never hurts you again, Fany. I’ll do whatever it takes to protect you…and us.”

 

***

 

“I can’t do this. This is all going so fast,” said Tiffany as her hands got clammy.

“We’re so close though, Fany. I won’t finish before you. You have to finish first,” whispered Yuri as she cupped Tiffany’s face.

“I’m so nervous, what if I mess up and then I can’t come with you?” Tiffany asked, panicking.

“You know I’ll wait for you. Come on, Fany. On the count of three you finish. One, two,” Yuri started with Tiffany gulping. “Three!” Tiffany dropped the admissions envelope into the mailbox and made Yuri drop hers right after. “See it wasn’t that bad now was it? Aww, you’re sweating so much.” Yuri pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed Tiffany’s forehead with it.

“That was way too stressful. Why did I even do this again? I feel dizzy,” complained Tiffany as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

Yuri stood next to Tiffany and wrapped her arm around Tiffany’s shoulders. “I’m so proud of you, my little mushroom. Everything will be okay,” Yuri said confidently. Tiffany looked at her with a small smile. “I got some ice cream at home. We can go there and chillax for a while.”

“Did you really just use ‘chillax’ in a sentence?” asked Tiffany with a scowl.

“Don’t hate the player, hate the game,” Yuri responded.

Tiffany facepalmed and shook her head. “How do I put up with you?” she asked rhetorically.

Yuri whispered into Tiffany’s ear, “Cause, you like me.” She moved in front of Tiffany and observed her stunned face. With a smirk, she ruffled up Tiffany’s hair and started to run away. “Come on, slowpoke mushroom! Let’s go home!”

Standing there in a stupor for a few moments, Tiffany finally shook her head and went running after Yuri. Yuri’s words echoed through her brain. There was no way that she could like that annoying little brat. All Yuri did was , bug her, annoy her…and made her feel like the most special person in the world. Her eyes followed Yuri’s retreating figure and for a moment she lost her breath. Even how Yuri ran was breathtaking. She shook her head again and tried to push her conflicting thoughts away.

 

***

 

The months were passing by fast after the applications were submitted. Most of the classwork dealt with midterms and interviews. Both Yuri and Tiffany got call backs and survived the interview weekends for theatre school. Now, it was a waiting game to see if they got in or not. To ease their stress they focused entirely on the upcoming production. It provided a good outlet for them and the other seniors working on it. One afternoon Yuri approached Yuki after everyone else went home.

“Hey Yuki, you got a second?” asked Yuri as she caught up with Yuki.

“Yeah. What’s up?” answered Yuki, curiously.

Yuri looked around to make sure no one else was present and then smiled briefly. “You know how me and Tiffany were going to do the ballroom scene. I was thinking as a surprise to her and all of our members that I’ll join in on harmony at the very end to make it more special,” Yuri said, rubbing the back of her head.

Yuki raised an eyebrow. It was pretty late into the practices that Yuri would make a suggestion like this. “I’d need to hear you and her together before I can allow it. How will you do that if she doesn’t know about it?” asked Yuki.

“Come with me to the piano practice room and I’ll show you,” Yuri said. She led them both to the practice room and then pulled out her mp3 player. “I recorded Tiffany singing while I was playing in secret. I’ve been practicing by myself to make sure I got the harmonies right. Listen to this.”

After Yuri was done playing and singing to Tiffany’s voice, Yuki was left in silence. She whispered, “You can sing.”

“Surprise!” exclaimed Yuri, giggling at Yuki’s face.

“This is good Yuri. I’ll make sure that you get set up with a mic myself. That way no one else will have to know about it until it happens. I’ll just tell the sound crew that I want it just in case the piano mic doesn’t work or something. Good thinking,” Yuki said, patting Yuri on the back.

“Sounds like a plan. Thanks for letting me go with it. I know it was short notice but the idea popped up in my head. I just had to make sure I could harmonize with Fany. Her voice is too good,” said Yuri with a little blush.

Yuki noticed and raised an eyebrow. “I guess under her cool exterior, Tiffany is kind of fluffy huh?” she probed carefully.

Yuri pressed down on a note and smiled. “That she is. Even when she was blowing me off last year, something about her made me want to get to know her even more. Fany was never intimidated by my status in school,” Yuri said and chuckled to herself. “Quite frankly, she didn’t give a damn.”

“That’s hard to imagine. By the time all the members were fangirling over you two, you were both pretty inseparable, that is until the incident,” Yuki said, watching Yuri frown.

“I really hate that Fany had to go through that. I wish those girls would have gotten a suspension or something but they were slick with their bullying,” grumbled Yuri with gritted teeth. “If it wasn’t for those idiots…I wouldn’t have the Fany I have today so I can’t completely hate them.”

Yuki leaned on the piano and asked, “You like Tiffany a lot, don’t you?” Yuri looked at Yuki with wide eyes and hung wide open. “You don’t have to say anything Yuri. Seeing how clueless you can be sometimes, you probably never considered it. Maybe you should think about why you love to so much. I’ll see you around Yuri.”

Yuki left Yuri planted on the piano bench. Yuri never considered Tiffany being more than a friend before. Sure she joked around with the Xena and Gabrielle comparisons but never did she imagine something like that happening for real. As she contemplated the thought, she began to play on the piano. The mellow song filled the room. She closed her eyes, knowing how to play the song by heart and let her hands sort out her emotions. When she finished the song and opened her eyes she saw Tiffany standing there at the piano.

“That was a beautiful song but it sounded a bit sad,” Tiffany said.

“Mmm, it’s Richard Marx’s ‘Right Here Waiting’. Mama used to play it a lot when I was a girl when dad left us. When she was in college, her roommate was a bit of an 80s nut and introduced her to the song,” Yuri chuckled before shaking her head. “How did you know I was here? I thought you would have been gone by now.”

“I was waiting for you by your locker. It’s a bit sudden but since we were done with interviews and midterms I wanted to see if you wanted to go see a movie with me or something,” Tiffany answered. “I mean you don’t have to. I was just bored and…”

“I’d love to,” Yuri interrupted as she took Tiffany’s hand. “It’s been awhile since we got to hang out and stuff. Besides I know you missed me.”

Tiffany would have done anything to wipe that cheesy grin off Yuri’s face. She looked away and said, “I did not. That’s just you being cocky as always.”

Yuri smiled and dragged Tiffany out of the room by the hand. Tiffany didn’t say a word but Yuri could see the slight blush on her face. She thought to herself, “Fany does look pretty cute when she’s flustered like this.” She could get used to it.

 

***

 

Yuri approached Tiffany and saw the shorter girl’s head resting on her locker. She placed a hand on Tiffany’s shoulder and said, “Fany, it’s been 2 days already. No bugs will get you.”

Tiffany turned around with big dark eye bags underneath her eyes and looked at Yuri vacantly. “Easy for you to say,” she grumbled.

“I honestly didn’t know that the guy was going to be covered in 1000 bugs. It was supposed to be a comedy but they never showed that scene in the movie previews. Waking up to that and seeing a grown man flail was pretty fun…” stopped Yuri as Tiffany glared hard. “…funky in a terrible way! It wasn’t nice at all.” Tiffany turned her head back towards the locker. “So you’ve gotten no sleep since that night?” Yuri saw her friend shake her head from side to side. “I’ll spend the night for the next few days until you can return to normal.”

Frowning first, Tiffany looked at Yuri. “That’s not necessary. I’ll get over it by myself,” she protested.

“Nuh uh. I was the one that picked the movie so I’m going to be the one to help you. I’ll get my stuff after school and come straight to your house after I tell Mama,” Yuri said leaving Tiffany behind to go to her last class.

True to her word, Yuri showed up at Tiffany’s place later that evening even though it was Thursday. Tiffany grumbled to herself all the way to her room after she insisted on carrying Yuri’s bags. It’s not like she was 12 and needed babysitting. She was 18 now and could handle herself alone just fine. After storing the bags, she huffed her way back to the couch and plopped down next to Yuri. Being opportunistic, Yuri rested her head on Tiffany’s lap.

“What are you doing?” asked Tiffany, slightly annoyed.

Yuri took Tiffany’s hand in one of hers and started to lightly brush her thumb across it. She looked into Tiffany’s eyes and said, “Just chillin’.”

“Tch!” scoffed Tiffany, cheeks slightly blushing. She looked away briefly but found Yuri still watching her. “Wouldn’t it be more entertaining if you watched TV?”

“Meh. I can do that later. Right now I’m spending time with you,” Yuri replied coolly. She reached up with her other hand and started to twirl the ends of Tiffany’s hair around her finger.

“You’re weird,” teased Tiffany. Her free hand reached over and tucked a few strands of Yuri’s hair behind her ear. When she got comfortable she Yuri’s hair causing the other girl to close her eyes with a smile. They stayed like that for a while, enjoying each other’s company.

The rest of the night was uneventful, filled with the usual TV watching and dinner before making their way to bed. They still had to go to school the next day so they went to sleep early. In the middle of the night Yuri woke up to something moving the bed. A whimper was heard followed by whispers of protest. Yuri sat up and saw that it was Tiffany having a nightmare.

“Fany, wake up,” Yuri said lightly shaking her distressed friend. This only caused Tiffany to thrash more. Yuri lay down next to Tiffany and pulled the frightened girl into her arms. She Tiffany’s hair and began whispering words directly into Tiffany’s ear. “Fight it off, Fany. I know you can do it.” Tiffany grunted in her sleep and Yuri could feel tears collecting into her shirt. “That’s it. Find your way back to me. I’m right here. I believe in you, Fany.”

“Yuri!” shouted Tiffany as her eyes opened wide. She was completely lost, searching for where she was at, pants increasing by the minute.

Yuri pulled back until Tiffany saw her. “I’m here, Fany. I’m here,” she said before kissing Tiffany’s forehead. Eyes watering, Tiffany sobbed and buried her face into Yuri’s shoulder. “My poor mushroom. I won’t let anyone hurt you. You don’t have to worry anymore.” She held onto Tiffany tight and kept her close until she could hear Tiffany’s light breathing. When she knew the other girl was asleep, she slowly dozed off with a small smile on her face.

The next morning they both walked to school hand in hand but in silence. Tiffany was embarrassed about what happened and Yuri thought it was best to let Tiffany get adjusted to her being there. Yuri couldn’t imagine how much Tiffany had to endure alone before. She understood that it would take time for Tiffany to be comfortable with relying on Yuri, when vulnerable. It’s one thing when suffering over a loss but this was minor in comparison and probably something Tiffany wouldn’t want to show Yuri.

Yuri escorted Tiffany all the way to her locker. “I’ll see you during lunch?” Yuri asked, squeezing Tiffany’s hand lightly.

“Yeah,” Tiffany said shyly, looking at their hands to avoid eye contact.

Yuri approached Tiffany and kissed her on the forehead. “Tonight will be better. I promise,” she whispered. Tiffany finally looked at Yuri and gave her the biggest eyesmile. Yuri was stunned for a few moments and without really thinking about it she gave Tiffany a quick peck on the cheek before running off.

“You’re too sweet for your own good,” whispered Tiffany as she leaned on her locker and watched Yuri’s retreating figure.

 

***

 

Saturday morning came and Tiffany survived the whole night without having a nightmare. The toll the sleepless nights took on her body was evident, as she was still sleeping at 11am. Yuri woke up an hour ago and stayed put, holding Tiffany. Suddenly, Yuri got the bright idea of making Tiffany breakfast in bed to cheer her up. Yuri carefully left the room and went to find what ingredients was there in the kitchen. Once Yuri collected everything she needed for pancakes she made them as quickly as possible. Thirty minutes later she came up with two plates of golden pancakes and two glasses of orange juice. Setting the tray off to the side she got back in bed and cuddled with Tiffany for a few moments longer.

Smelling something good in the air and a newfound warmth on her back, Tiffany slowly woke up. “Yuri?” she huskily asked.

“Good morning, my favorite mushroom. Did you sleep well?” Yuri said as she nuzzled closer to Tiffany.

“Mmm. That was the best night’s sleep I had in about a week,” Tiffany said rubbing her eyes.

“I have a surprise for you,” Yuri whispered in Tiffany’s ear.

“What’s that?” Tiffany asked, curiously.

“Stay here. I’ll bring it to you,” Yuri said and then left to bring over the tray of food. “Tada! Breakfast in bed for my mushroom Fany.”

Tiffany sat up in the bed with her eyes wide in shock. “I can’t believe you made me pancakes,” she said.

“Take it as my formal apology for making you see that movie,” Yuri said as she sat next to Tiffany on the bed.

“Wow. I should have nightmares more often,” Tiffany joked and smiled.

“If you are gonna do that, then we are watching horror films,” Yuri teased.

“On second thought, cooking for myself seems like a good idea,” Tiffany said with a frown.

“Let’s eat before it gets cold,” suggested Yuri. Tiffany took the first bite and Yuri waiting in anticipation to see her reaction.

“This is really good, Yuri. Thank you for this. It means a lot,” Tiffany said with a serious look on her face.

“You’re welcome, Tiffany,” Yuri said, just as seriously. “I’m always open ears and arms for you. If you ever need me to come over just let me know and I’ll be here in a heartbeat. A happy mushroom means I’m a happy Yuri too.”

“I’ll remember that,” said Tiffany and she went back to eating the pancakes with a smile.

The glow radiating from Tiffany was what Yuri had missed the most these days. Yuri thought to herself, “I hope we get accepted together. Seeing her smile like this, is something I don’t ever want to give up.”

 

***

 

The weeks flew by fast as the drama club was practicing with full rehearsals. Of course, there were some slip ups. Mike’s great idea of juggling lit candle sticks as Lumiere was a great idea until it almost burnt down a nearby prop. That’s the beauty of full rehearsals. You can find out what will screw up before the actual performance. Unfortunately for Mike, they had to demote him into using paper mache for flames. The crew did console him for the excellent non-prop runs. It would have been spectacular. In the midst of all the practicing and school work, the letters trickled in for college.

Tiffany insisted that she and Yuri open up her letter with each other. If she didn’t get into school then much consolation would be needed. Whether Tiffany admitted it or not, Yuri was excellent at making her feel good when she was down. They both waited until the weekend to see their fates. When Tiffany got to Yuri’s house, Yuri’s mother opened the door and embraced her.

“Good luck, my child,” Yuri’s mom said. “I hope you two stick together for a long time. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen my baby so happy.” She pulled away and gave Tiffany a big smile. “I’m off to work now. Don’t you worry about the housing fees. I’ll make sure you and Yuri are fine together.”

“Thank you so much for your kindness. If I get in, I promise to pay you back somehow,” Tiffany said.

“Nonsense, just take care of my baby and make sure no one takes advantage of her. You know how she gets when new people start ogling her. Goes straight to her head,” Yuri’s mom chuckled and left.

Like a second home, Tiffany locked the front door and made her way to Yuri’s room. Yuri was in the shower so she placed her bag in the closet as usual. Going up to the bathroom door she shouted, “I’m in your room so don’t come out here !”

“Good you said something mushroom,” Yuri answered. “Cause I was about to walk out there in my birthday suit!”

“Spare me the details. Just hurry up and get dressed. The wait is killing me,” complained Tiffany.

Yuri came out with a towel wrapped around her body. “I know I’m that awesome, Fany. Have some patience though. You got me all day,” Yuri said with a smirk. A pillow flew across the room and smacked her in the face.

“One day I will smack that cocky smirk off your face, Kwon,” growled Tiffany.

“You do that and you’ll only be left with my mesmerizing smile,” grinned Yuri. 

Tiffany scoffed. “Hurry up and put some clothes on before I turn 50 already,” she said with a pout.

Yuri moved to the bed and petted Tiffany’s head. She said, “Cute little mushroom Fany, all pouty and stuff.”

“Shut up, you dork,” protested Tiffany with a blush.

Laughing all the way to her closet, Yuri finally got dressed and got her envelope with the letter that contained her fate. She didn’t bother fully drying her hair and sat directly across from Tiffany. “No matter what happens, Fany, we’re going to stick together,” Yuri said. “Get your letter and open it first. I know you’re dying to know what’s up.”

Tiffany nodded and got the letter out of her bag and came back with sweaty palms. She sat down in front of Yuri again and took a deep breath. For a few moments she carefully read through the letter and then whispered, “I got in…I can’t believe it.”

“Now it’s my turn,” Yuri said, seriously. She read the letter quickly and frowned. “I can say that I’m not surprised with this.” Her eyes looked away from Tiffany and she let out a sigh.

“Did you not get in?” asked Tiffany in a panic. She took the letter from Yuri’s hand and read it herself. “What the hell, Yuri? You got in!”

Yuri grinned at her and shouted, “Gotcha!”

Tiffany immediately smacked Yuri’s shoulder hard. “You are such a jerk! I was worried you didn’t get in!” yelled Tiffany as she got a pillow and gave Yuri the fluffiest beat down of her life.

After several minutes, Yuri was lying her head down on Tiffany’s lap. Tiffany Yuri’s head gently to not aggravate Yuri’s headache’s more. “I gotta remind myself to take out the buckwheat pillow before you arrive next time,” whispered Yuri.

“I’m sorry that I hit you with it but you deserved it,” Tiffany said with a smile.

“I’ll have to get used to it since we’ll be roomies for a while,” Yuri said with a grin.

Tiffany didn’t smile back but frowned instead. “We don’t know that yet, Yuri,” she sadly said. “If dad won’t pay, then…”

Yuri shifted her position so that she was on her side. She patted the bed next to her and without words Tiffany did the same. Yuri took Tiffany’s hand and played with her fingers. She looked at Tiffany and gently smiled. “Everything will be fine, Fany,” she whispered.

“You don’t know my father, Yuri. He hates me and you know it,” Tiffany said with tears threatening to fall.

“I don’t think he does, otherwise he would have called you right back and told you no,” Yuri said. “He would have walked out of your life and never returned…”

Tiffany’s eyes widened as she realized what Yuri meant. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking…” she said but was interrupted when Yuri placed a kiss on Tiffany’s hand. The two looked at each other for a few moments. It was times like this where they were their most vulnerable and only they were allowed to see this side. “I never had a good relationship with my father. You said you still don’t hate him even after all of this. What was he like? With you I mean.”

Yuri turned around on her back and stared at the ceiling. Tiffany instinctually curled up next to Yuri and rested her head on her shoulder. Her arm draped around Yuri’s abs as she waited for Yuri to speak. When Yuri was ready she slowly rubbed her palm in circles on Tiffany’s back.

“One of the first memories I had of dad was when he would come home from work,” Yuri started. “I was so little but I can clearly remember him walking through the door and I would run up to him yelling ‘Pick me up! Pick me up!’ He did, of course.”

“I bet you were really cute back then,” Tiffany said, smiling at her friend’s happy memory.

“Hey! I’m still cute now you know,” whined Yuri. It earned her a smack on the abs causing her to laugh. “It got to a point where I was too big to pick up. Other times we would race on the sidewalk to see which one of us would get home the fastest. Thinking back on that now, he always let me win. Oh, and then there were times where we’d just sit on the couch and watch random shows. I guess you could say I was daddy’s little girl.”

“You must really miss him,” Tiffany whispered holding on to Yuri a little tighter.

“Mmm. I do, but right now I think…I…,” Yuri said, trying to find the right words to say.

“You what?” asked Tiffany, looking at Yuri.

“I…I…think I’d miss you more,” Yuri said and looked off to the side. “Maybe I am crazy but I’ve been the happiest since like…forever since I met you. It’s so easy to keep it real around you that I don’t wanna give that up. I’m putting all my faith in us being able to be like this for many years.” Yuri was completely blushing at this point. “I know it sounds stupid.”

Tiffany sat up and propped herself on one arm. She reached over and pulled Yuri’s chin so that she could face her. Tiffany’s hair cascaded around her face, making Yuri blush at the sight. Tiffany smiled at Yuri’s embarrassment.

“I learn so much from you the longer we are together. I know that I’ll miss you too,” Tiffany said, thumbing Yuri’s cheek. “I’m hoping that things will work out just like you said, boo.”

Yuri’s eyes widened. “Boo?” she questioned. The sudden realization made Tiffany give her best impersonation of a tomato. She immediately turned around and buried herself inside a blanket. “Little mushroom, you called me boo.”

“I did not,” muffled Tiffany under the blanket.

Yuri moved the blanket up and got underneath it. “You totally did,” she said teasingly. Tiffany was balled up into the fetal position. Naturally, Yuri spooned her and held her tight across the waist. “I heard you loud and clear.”

“You were hearing things,” protested Tiffany.

Yuri whispered into Tiffany’s ear, “I’m your boo.” She kissed the side of Tiffany’s head and heard her whimper. She laughed hard but didn’t fail to notice that while Tiffany was quiet she held onto Yuri’s hand on her stomach the whole embarrassing ordeal.

 

***

 

Yuri and Tiffany accepted the offers for theatre school together and passed the remaining time getting ready for the production. They finally reached the day and were getting nervous with the rest of the drama club. The whole project was ambitious but looking at the set and costumes now, it was impressive for high school. One last full practice run was done yesterday and it went smoothly so there was nothing else to lose. This was it and Tiffany’s fate held in the balance.

Pacing up and down in an isolated hallway, Tiffany bit her thumb. There was about an hour left to go before the production started and she had no idea whether her father would show up or not. So much was riding on this one performance. There would be no do overs and the pressure was getting to her.

“Fany?” asked Yuri as she finally found her friend. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you. “ She took Tiffany’s hand and felt how wet it was. “We have to get our makeup and costumes on in a few.”

“I can’t do this Yuri,” whispered Tiffany.

“What? What do you mean you can’t? Tiffany, we’ve been through the song multiple times. You know it by heart,” Yuri said.

Tiffany shook her head. “No,” she said. “My father...what if he doesn’t come? I can’t go to school!”

“Oh, little mushroom,” said Yuri as she pulled Tiffany into her embrace. “Don’t worry about that. No matter what happens tonight, I’m not leaving you hanging. College or not I’m sticking with you. We’ll both go together when we’re ready.”

Tiffany sobbed and buried her face in Yuri’s shoulder. “Why are you so stupid?” cried Tiffany. “I’m not worth it.”

Yuri frowned and pulled away from Tiffany enough to make her look in her eyes. “I would give up every prestigious award I won and all of the attention I received as resident ‘goddess’ just to reverse time and get to hang out with you even for one more day before we met a year ago. Nothing can compare to the beauty you have inside and out, despite your cold exterior. You are brighter than the shiniest gem and worth more than a million combined. I see you, Tiffany, even if no one else does. If tonight your father can’t see the wonderful daughter he missed out on, then, well…” Yuri said seriously. She tried to think of the right thing to say but had to settle. “…he’s a .”

Uncontrollable laugher poured from Tiffany’s mouth. “Oh man, you totally ruined the mood there,” cackled Tiffany as she clapped her hands.

“Uh…sorry,” Yuri said, scratching the back of her head.

When Tiffany settled down a little she pulled Yuri into a tight hug and said, “Thank you, Yuri. You always know how to cheer me up.” She kissed Yuri on the cheek.

“Ahem,” said Yuki, seeing that moment unfold between the other two just now. Yuri and Tiffany broke apart immediately with blushes on their faces. “I need you two in the dressing room now.”

“Shall we go?” asked Yuri as she extended her hand to Tiffany.

“Let’s do this,” Tiffany said, taking Yuri’s hand.

 

***

 

The play began and so far there hadn’t been any major screw ups. Mike tripped over the girl playing the dog/rug when he was juggling during Be My Guest but he never dropped the props. At least it was a testament to his great juggling skills. The part the whole school was waiting for was Yuri and Tiffany’s playing and singing debut. Word spread fast about the performance but no one other than the people involved with the production got to see it. The scene was set and Yuri escorted Tiffany in front of the piano towards the stage. Yuri then took her place at the piano and waited for the main actors to take their places on the makeshift staircase. Yuri nodded at Tiffany and she returned it, signaling Yuri to start playing ‘Beauty and the Beast’ main theme for the ballroom dance.

Tiffany sang beautifully as the two actors danced around the stage. She got to the part before the change in key. “Ever just the same. Ever a surprise. Ever as before. Ever just as sure, as the sun will rise,” she belted in harmony with the piano. Yuri finished playing the last few phrases and did the key shift. When Tiffany continued, she heard Yuri singing with her. She turned around, facing Yuri and saw the biggest smile on Yuri’s face as she played and sang.

Everyone in the audience collectively got goosebumps and watched in awe as the beast twirled Belle in tune to the now duet being played live. Even the two dancing were smiling even more than before. Tiffany walked over to Yuri never losing eye contact, smiling happily at Yuri’s new hidden talent. When the song got near the end she sat next to Yuri on the piano bench and they both sang to each other, “Tale as old as time. Song as old as rhyme. Beauty and the Beast.”

Yuri continued to play the last phrases of the song and Tiffany rested her head on Yuri’s shoulder. The two dancers finished their dance and walked off to the bench to sit and gaze at the night sky as Yuri played the final notes. The lights dimmed and the whole audience went nuts. Yuri escorted Tiffany backstage and back to the dressing room so that they could continue helping the crew with the production.

“You never told me you could sing!” exclaimed Tiffany with a smile.

Yuri grinned and said, “I wanted to surprise you. This was a big night for you and I wanted to make it special for you too.”

“I’ll remember this night for the rest of my life,” Tiffany said taking Yuri’s hands. “Thank you, Yuri.” For the second time, Tiffany kissed Yuri’s cheek. This time was different because she aimed very close to Yuri’s lips and lingered there a little longer than usual. When she pulled back both of them shyly looked at each other while still holding hands.

Yuki also had great timing again and found the two in an intimate position. “Get a room already!” she teased, starling the two again.

“Can it, junior,” retorted Tiffany as she returned to her normal self. Yuri couldn’t help but laugh at the two.

“That was really something special out there,” Yuki said smiling. “I was in the audience. You probably didn’t hear it but there was like a collective gasp when Yuri started singing in harmony. Jaws were all on the floor.”

“Mine nearly was too but I had practiced so much I was on autopilot singing,” said Tiffany. “How in the heck did you do that without me knowing?”

“I recorded you singing one practice,” Yuri said with a smirk.

“I’ll kill you!” shouted Tiffany in disbelief.

“Kill her later; we got a show to finish. Yuri, I need you with the lighting crew so we can get the mob scene going smoothly. Tiffany, help me get people and props ready to go out. The fight is gonna be hell,” Yuki said. Both girls nodded and with one last hand squeeze they got back into their crew clothes.

 

***

 

The musical was a complete success. The cast and crew congratulated themselves and vowed to have an afterschool party the next meeting. Tiffany and Yuri were walking out of the dressing room holding hands. When they turned into the other hallway, an older looking man was leaning on the wall with arms folded across his chest.

“Daddy…” Tiffany said, frozen in place. Yuri looked at the man and briefly frowned before regaining composure. Tiffany felt Yuri’s hand squeeze hers a little harder.

“Miyoung,” Tiffany’s dad said in a stern voice. He pushed off the wall, observing Yuri standing slightly in front of Tiffany. He looked down and saw their interlocked hands. He kept his distance from the two and stayed in silence for a few moments. “I saw what you did. If this is what you want, I won’t stop you. You better not screw this up. I’m only doing this one time for college and after that you are on your own.”

“Thank you, Daddy. I won’t ask anything of you again, I swear,” Tiffany said with a small voice.

“And you,” he said pointing to Yuri. “I hold you responsible if anything happens to Miyoung. You waste my money and I will find you and take you for everything you got.”

“Daddy!” shouted Tiffany. She was about to protest when Yuri stepped forward.

“You have my word, sir. I will take care of her and make sure she gets through college,” said Yuri with burning determination in her eyes. There was no way she was going to let anyone hurt Tiffany, not even her own family. Tiffany looked back and forth between the two. She had never seen Yuri so intense, even with their previous fight. Tiffany’s dad looked at Yuri hard as the tension grew thicker. Neither one backed down from the staring match. Someone had to relent.

“Tch! You’d better, kid,” Tiffany’s dad said and turned around in a huff. He walked away a few steps before stopping. “Miyoung.”

“Yes, Daddy?” she answered, barely audible.

“You sounded like your mother up there on stage,” he said with his head turned to the side. “She…would have been proud.” He turned away again but this time he kept walking, not seeing the tears falling down his daughter’s cheeks.

Yuri hugged Tiffany immediately as she cried silent tears. She whispered in Tiffany’s ear, “He saw you. He finally saw you.”

Tiffany held on tight and cried harder, not in sadness but in joy. After all these years, indirect or not, her dad finally complimented her. She wouldn’t have been able to do it without Yuri. Now, she’ll have more time to spend with her, in college.

 

***

 

The remaining months of high school flew by fast after the musical. Final exams were taken and the seniors were finally allowed to relax a little bit before graduation. During that time Yuri and her mom found an apartment not too far from theatre school. Given the circumstances, they could only afford a one bedroom. Yuri had to break the news to Tiffany.

“Excuse me, what?” Tiffany asked just to make sure that she heard what she thought she heard.

Yuri rubbed the back of her head and said, “Yeah. We can only afford a one bedroom so we’ll have to share the bed for a while. It was the best we could do.”

Tiffany blushed and turned away from Yuri. “It can’t be helped,” she said. “Thank you for trying.” It was one thing to have the sleepovers over the weekend but things returned to normal for Tiffany after Yuri left. Her heart could finally rest and stop pounding from being around Yuri that long. Soon, she wouldn’t have that luxury. How was she going to survive a year or more that close to Yuri every night?

“I was thinking, after we graduate we could go on an outing or something,” Yuri said, getting Tiffany out of whatever fantasy world she was in.

Tiffany shook her head and asked, “What kind of outing?”

“We could go to my grandparents’ farm and camp out under the stars. I think it’ll be fun and we’ll get to bond more before we go to college,” said Yuri with a smile.

“I’ve never been camping before, let alone on a farm. I don’t know, Yuri,” trailed Tiffany.

Yuri pouted and held Tiffany’s hand. “Pwetty pweeeeeeeease, my little mushroom? I promise it’ll be fun,” pleased Yuri as cutely as she could.

“Ugh! Okay, if you would stop using that voice! Don’t look at me like that either!” exclaimed Tiffany, turning redder.

“You won’t regret it,” said Yuri, smirking.

 

***

 

Tiffany regretted it the moment she got there.

Graduation went well even though Tiffany’s father and sister didn’t show up. Yuri’s mom made up for the absence. Seeing Tiffany so down about the lack of support, more from her father since her sister was in school, Yuri’s mom decided to get something special for the two of them on the trip to the farm. That guaranteed Tiffany not being able to get out of the trip. It was one thing to be taken along for the ride but it’s another when people spend money on you. Tiffany had to it up and she unfortunately had to deal with a lot.

The problem was not that Tiffany had issues with the open areas, the farm animals, or the lack of major civilization. The issue was the bugs. They were everywhere. Tiffany would be enjoying looking at a flower and then a nasty bug would pop up and she’d go running. Inside of Yuri’s grandparents’ house was her sanctuary but Yuri insisted on sleeping outside that night.

“Come on, Fany. It won’t be that bad,” whined Yuri.

“Ha! That’s easy for you to say. You don’t have the bug phobia,” argued Tiffany.

“I swear, Fany. If I would have known you were this afraid of bugs I would have suggested a sleepover at a hotel. I thought it was just the idea of being covered in them that freaked you out. I really didn’t know,” Yuri said as she got on her knees in front of Tiffany.

“Get off the ground, Yuri. You look crazy. What if your grandparents walked in?” asked Tiffany as she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

Yuri walked on her knees and hugged Tiffany around the waist. “I don’t care what they say. I won’t move until you’ll say you’ll join me,” said Yuri as she nuzzled her head on Tiffany’s torso.

“Oh my god, Yuri! I’m gonna kill you! Stop it!” said Tiffany in a hushed tone.

“Nuh uh,” protested Yuri.

“Damn it! Fine, I’ll go out with you but if I get one bug on me I’m not talking to you for a whole month!” grumbled Tiffany.

Yuri took Tiffany’s hands and kissed them both gently. “I promise you, you won’t be disappointed. Wait here while I get everything ready,” said Yuri before standing up and running off to get stuff.

Tiffany plopped on the couch and calmed herself down both from the imminent threat of bugs attacking her and from Yuri nuzzling her for the first time on her stomach. She closed her eyes and ended up dozing off a bit. She felt something nudging her and opened her eyes. Yuri was there with a big smile in front of her.

“Let’s go, little mushroom,” Yuri said, extending her hand out to Tiffany.

Groggily, Tiffany took Yuri’s hand and they both left out of the house and outside. The sun was almost set and Tiffany looked up to see the shades of pink, red, and orange fade away into deep purples and blues. When she looked back down after Yuri stopped she noticed a big clear dome with a little tunnel entrance in front. Inside of it was a big sleeping bag and a portable lantern.

“What is this?” asked Tiffany in wonder.

“It’s the newest design in tents. My uncle worked in France for a bit. It was the latest rage to bring an apartment and share it with the outdoors. Of course we got the cheaper model from him because it wasn’t necessary to have a big bed in the middle of a tent,” Yuri said while laughing.

“I’d say it’s a like an igloo having a kid with one of those whole body balloon balls. I have to admit it does look pretty cool,” said Tiffany looking around the tent.

“Mama thought you might like it. It’s unique,” Yuri said as she led Tiffany inside. “I brought some s’mores and water bottles to drink for us. Then we can play some cards until we get sleepy.”

The two sat down and began chatting about what they thought theatre school would be like while eating the s’mores. Fireflies glowed outside all around them making the atmosphere nice, especially since the evil little things were well outside the bubble tent. When they got bored with that, they played several card games. Yuri was an expert and for once Tiffany was left pouting after losing. It was 11pm when Yuri looked at the time on her watch.

“We should go to sleep now. I have one more surprise for you but you’ll see it when you wake up,” said Yuri with a smile. She got into the sleeping bag and opened it up for Tiffany.

“I wonder what you could be plotting, Kwon,” Tiffany said as she zipped herself into the sleeping bag and snuggled into Yuri.

“So, do you think this was still a bad idea?” Yuri asked hesitantly.

Tiffany looked up at the stars in the sky, seeing them twinkle. She smiled and said, “At first I would have said yes but right now it’s pretty cool. I’ll have to thank your mom for buying this from your uncle.” She then closed her eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep.

“Fany. Fany, wake up,” whispered a voice in Tiffany’s ear.

“Hmm,” whispered Tiffany as she felt hot air breathing on her ear and cheek.

“Open your eyes, Fany,” whispered the voice again.

When Tiffany opened her eyes she saw small little streaks of light falling all around the dark sky. She rubbed her eyes with her hands and got a better look. “Wow,” she whispered in awe.

“Surprise from mother nature herself,” Yuri whispered in Tiffany’s ear.

Tiffany looked up at the spectacle above in silence, appreciating the wonder of nature. “Isn’t this the most beautiful thing you ever seen?” asked Tiffany in a whisper.

“I haven’t seen anything as beautiful,” Yuri said. Unbeknownst to Tiffany, Yuri wasn’t looking up but was looking at Tiffany observing the meteor shower.

“So many shooting stars are above us. Let’s make a wish Yuri,” Tiffany said while taking Yuri’s hand.

Yuri turned and faced the night sky. She closed her eyes and made a wish. She felt Tiffany’s hand lightly squeeze hers. “Done,” Yuri whispered turning her head back to Tiffany.

Tiffany turned her head and looked at Yuri with an eyesmile. She said, “So am I.” They laughed lightly and both went back to watch the shower.

If only they knew they wished for the same thing at that moment.

 

***

 

Before Tiffany and Yuri knew it, the time to move into their new apartment came. After the farm vacation, things were pretty quiet up until the week before they both moved. Tiffany’s dad came through with the tuition money for that semester and surprisingly, he contributed money for the movers. Tiffany scoffed at the idea of taking more money from him but Yuri convinced her that he was taking a step in the right direction with their relationship.

The move went fast since the two didn’t have many things in the first place. Yuri insisted on keeping her Mickey Mouse plushie on the bed. The only way Tiffany agreed to that was to keep the pink bear her mother gave her next to it. Other than that, there were no problems. They set up the TV in the living room and next to it Yuri’s DVDs and game systems. A small couch and a glass coffee table was placed in front of it. The kitchen was tiny but both of them figured they would be eating mostly around campus just to get to know the area better. The bathroom was also cramped so to avoid any issues in the morning Tiffany showered at night and Yuri showered in the morning since she usually wakes up first. When they were home, breakfast duty would be Yuri’s while Tiffany made dinner when needed. It was a nice little arrangement for their first baby steps into adulthood. After the two unpacked, they both plopped down on the bed from exhaustion.

With her eyes closed, Tiffany grumbled, “Moving so much.”

“I know right. I never would have thought it would take this much energy just to move a few things! Tch,” huffed Yuri. “It would have been a complete nightmare if we didn’t have those movers.”

“Damn it,” cursed Tiffany. “Father was right all along.”

Yuri laughed at the situation. “Hate to say it but we owe…” she said before getting cut off.

“Continue that last sentence and I’ll silence you for the rest of the semester,” threatened Tiffany with one eye open.

“Yes, dear,” Yuri said. A pillow flew and hit her smack on the face. “Oh, it is so on!”

Tiffany squealed and popped out of the bed before Yuri could catch her. The two ran around the apartment dodging the couch and table. Yuri cheated when she climbed over the couch and caught Tiffany. She then dragged Tiffany back on the bed and sat on Tiffany’s legs so she wouldn’t escape. Tiffany was at the mercy of Yuri’s tickles. Tiffany tried to tickle Yuri back but Yuri fought her until she pinned both of Tiffany’s arms beside her head.

Yuri leaned down, hair framing her face. She was inches away from Tiffany’s face when she whispered, “Do you submit?”

Tiffany looked at Yuri and was at a loss of words as her heart started to thump hard against her chest. She saw Yuri her lips in wait. Finally, she whispered, “I submit to you.”

Yuri smirked and put all her weight on Tiffany’s body and let go of her hands in order to give a hug. She whispered in Tiffany’s ear, “Good girl.”

Tiffany laughed and wrapped her arms around Yuri’s back to return the hug. “You’re so silly,” she whispered nuzzling her head against Yuri’s.

“As long as it makes you smile, I’m more than willing,” Yuri said. “You don’t have to worry about him anymore, Fany. I meant it when I said I’ll watch over you.” Before Tiffany could answer, Yuri kissed her on the cheek and then ran off to the bathroom.

“How can I think of him when you do things like that to me?” asked Tiffany to herself in a whisper.

 

***

 

Classes began and luckily for Yuri and Tiffany they got into the same section for all four of their classes that they could take together. The fifth one was specific to their major: Yuri working on technical drawing for design course and Tiffany taking the intro to stage management course. Tiffany was her usual self not standing out much but not unfriendly. Yuri, though, was instantly popular. It was part of her natural charm to wow her classmates. Tiffany always knew Yuri had that trait but it was weird for her to see it come to life with complete strangers. By the second week, people were already trying to get her to join their study groups.

“Are you sure you don’t want to go to the party, Fany?” asked Yuri the Friday night after their class’s first exam.

“I’m very sure. Besides, I had lunch with the stage management crew earlier this week. That was enough socializing for my tastes. I don’t really know your set design crew, so I’ll pass this time around,” Tiffany said and went back to reading a book on the couch.

Yuri conceded, “Fine. Next time I want you to go with me, Fany.”

“Yeah, sure,” Tiffany stated with no interest. Yuri left with a sigh.

More weeks passed and all Tiffany could see was people gathering around Yuri all day. For the most part Tiffany was fine with it until one afternoon she was waiting for Yuri’s class to finish. She had planned on them going home together since it had been awhile. She thought it would be nice to have the evening to themselves. She was sitting on the steps waiting when she overheard Yuri’s voice with another.

“I think you are really nice, Yuri,” said an unfamiliar guy’s voice.

“Thank You, Kei,” Yuri said in what sounded like a flirty voice. Tiffany’s mouth dropped and her heart started to beat really fast.

“So, I was thinking maybe we could grab some food. You know…maybe catch a movie tonight,” said Kei shyly.

Before Tiffany could hear Yuri’s reply, she immediately got up from the stairs and sneaked off before Yuri even noticed she was there. She ran all the way to the apartment and headed straight for the shower. Her chest felt heavy and she found herself sobbing as water poured over her on the ground.

“Why does it hurt, Yuri?” Tiffany asked to the empty stall.

Tiffany went to bed early and didn’t wake up for the rest of the evening.

 

***

 

The next few days were stressful on Yuri. The other morning when she woke Tiffany up, she barely said anything to Yuri. At first, she thought Tiffany was sick but when she tried to take care of her Tiffany just brushed her aside. She thought that it might have been something she ate the night before and became grumpy. Knowing Tiffany, Yuri decided to give her space. When Tiffany was ready to talk she would always do so but that didn’t happen.

Yuri asked Tiffany if she wanted to eat lunch together the following day. However, Tiffany said she had to go eat lunch with the stage management crew and would also meet them later for a study session. Yuri was sad but it was understandable since she does the same with her crew. She wanted to ask Tiffany how it went but Tiffany didn’t come home until well after Yuri was sleep.

Something felt off to Yuri. Tiffany would always have some sort of snappy comeback or some kind of interaction when Yuri was being sappy. However when Yuri attempted the next morning, Tiffany just mumbled something incoherent and left early for school. Yuri promised Tiffany’s dad that she would take care of her and that was what she planned to do. There was only one way Yuri could get to the bottom of this. She decided to work her charms on one of Tiffany’s classmates to see if she could get any clues as to why Tiffany was acting this way.

“Hey, Stacey! You got a second?” asked Yuri as she ran up to the girl that was in Tiffany’s solo class.

Stacey turned around and blushed slightly, seeing that Yuri was talking to her. “Y..yes?” she answered in a small voice.

Yuri gave her a big smile and for a moment she thought Stacey would faint. “How was the study session the other day? It must have been intense since Tiffany came home really late,” Yuri probed.

“Huh? Study session? We didn’t have one this week. We were planning it for next week before the next exam,” Stacey said with a confused look on her face.

“Ah, maybe I got it messed up with the lunch session,” said Yuri now piecing things together in her mind.

“No, we didn’t study at lunch either but Tiffany did join us to eat. We didn’t think she liked us much but it was nice getting to know her a bit more. She’s cool,” Stacey said with a smile.

“That’s Tiffany for you. She starts off cold but when she warms up she can be fun to be around. Trust me, I had to deal with her in high school,” chuckled Yuri as she remembered memories not long passed. “It was nice talking with you Stacey. We should talk again soon.” She gave Stacey a wink and then left the blushing girl. For a moment, Yuri thought about becoming a lawyer but then shook it off.

Tiffany sat on the couch reading a book when Yuri came in and shut the door hard. She hadn’t seen that look on Yuri’s face since the fight they had in high school. The fear slowly crept into her body as she placed the book down and Yuri walked towards her.

“You lied to me, Tiffany,” Yuri growled. She had the whole walk home to realize that Tiffany lied and it made her more pissed. “I thought we were over this. I thought we weren’t going to keep secrets anymore! Why did you lie to me?”

“I didn’t mean to…” Tiffany started but was immediately cut off.

“Like hell you didn’t!” yelled Yuri. She saw Tiffany jump and tried to calm herself down by breathing. She moved to the couch and sat beside Tiffany. She lifted up her hand and closed her eyes. “I shouldn’t have yelled. I’m so frustrated right now. You’ve been deliberately avoiding me for the last couple of days. There’s got to be a reason for why you would do this to me.” She opened them again and looked at Tiffany. “We made a promise remember? That if things got rough, we’d talk it out. Talk to me, Fany.”

Tiffany sighed and balled up her hands into fists. She avoided eye contact when she said in a low tone, “I hated the attention the others were getting from you. For the last, year it’s been me and you. I didn’t want that to end.”

“Fany,” Yuri said as she placed a hand on Tiffany’s leg. “It’ll always be me and you. I might get busy but I will make time for you. Plus we live together, so not one day will pass without me seeing you.”

“I know that, Yuri, but you have all these parties to go to now…”Tiffany said.

“Which I invite you to!” interrupted Yuri, getting slightly angry again.

“But you know I hate those kinds of things! I don’t know those people. You should know how hard it is for me to make friends, Yuri!” Tiffany shouted.

Yuri opened and closed . She couldn’t argue with Tiffany on that point. “You’re right. I didn’t think about how you would feel in that situation. I’m sorry for that but I still want you to come with me at times. I want them to know that you are a part of my life,” Yuri said, taking Tiffany’s hand and rubbing her thumb across it.

Tiffany pulled her hand away from Yuri and snorted. “Even Kei?” she asked with venom in her voice.

“Wait, what? Why are you bringing him into this out of nowhere?” said Yuri with confusion written all over her face.

“I waited for you after school that day. I heard you both flirting with each other,” said Tiffany with the pain in her chest flaring up again.

Yuri’s mouth dropped instantly. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing from Tiffany. This was by far the stupidest thing she ever remembered hearing the shorter girl say. “I was not flirting with him! He just asked me out for food and to go to a movie,” she protested.

“Are you that dense? He was asking you out on a date!” yelled Tiffany.

“Why would I want to do that?!” yelled Yuri in response.

“You tell me! You went with the guy!” screamed Tiffany.

“You’re jealous!” Yuri accused.

“Damn right I’m jealous! I should be dating you, not him!” Tiffany spewed and suddenly realized what she just said. Her eyes widened and she stood up, trying to retreat away as fast as she could.

Yuri caught up with Tiffany fast and grabbed onto her arm. “What did you mean by that, Fany?” she asked in a low tone.

“No,” Tiffany whimpered. She shook her head. She couldn’t believe she just said that out loud in front of Yuri. It wasn’t supposed to come out.

“I’m not letting you go until you tell me,” Yuri demanded. When Tiffany wouldn’t say a word, she lightened her grip. “Talk to me, Fany. I’m right here and I’m not going anywhere.”

Tears started falling from Tiffany’s eyes. She tried to close them shut but it wouldn’t stop the flow. She opened her eyes and looked down on the floor. “I like you, okay?” she whispered.

Yuri’s heart beat fast as her brain tried to process what Tiffany just said. She didn’t want to get too hopeful but she had to know. “What do you mean by that?” she asked in a whisper.

Tiffany sniffed and answered, “I don’t know how it happened. I sort of ended up liking you…more than a friend.” She didn’t want to face Yuri. The pain was too much to handle but she knew that she had to in order to let Yuri know she was serious. She looked into Yuri’s eyes with tears still falling down her face. “I like you.”

Yuri took one of Tiffany’s hands. “I love you…as a friend…” Yuri said as Tiffany’s eyes fell down to the floor. She could see the shorter girl’s shoulders slump. Placing her fingers underneath Tiffany’s chin, she lifted it up and forced Tiffany to look at her. “…but I like you as a woman. I’ve been attracted to you since the first day we met. My feelings for you evolved as I got to know you more. It’d make me really happy if you could be my girlfriend, Tiffany.”

“Yes, you idiot!” Tiffany sobbed loudly as she hugged Yuri tight. She felt Yuri hold her tight around the waist with one arm and her hair patted with Yuri’s other hand. “I thought you were about to reject me.”

“I’m sorry, my little mushroom,” Yuri said gently in Tiffany’s ear. “I do love you as a friend and I hope that one day we’ll love each other just as much as girlfriends.”

The two held each other for a while before they moved back to the bed. They hugged each other lying on the bed for several minutes until Tiffany finally calmed down. Yuri wiped the tears from Tiffany’s face and held onto her hands. She rubbed them soothingly with her thumbs.

“Hey, Yuri?” said Tiffany.

“Yeah?” Yuri asked back.

“Did you ever think of having a boyfriend or a girlfriend in high school? Everyone loved you so you could have had anyone you wanted,” Tiffany said.

“The thought never crossed my mind,” Yuri answered.

“Not even once?” wondered Tiffany.

“Nuh uh. They didn’t know me and I for sure didn’t know them. To me they were just classmates. I guess in the end it makes sense that I ended up liking you because we both got interested in each other on a personal level,” Yuri said. “What about you?”

“I never wanted to love. I saw what happened with my parents. To me, that wasn’t an option,” Tiffany said with sadness in her eyes.

“Tiffany,” trailed Yuri.

“It’s okay, though. I found you after all. I think it’s time for me to take chances and make mistakes,” Tiffany said with a smile.

“Did you seriously just quote Ms. Frizzle from the Magic School Bus?” asked Yuri as she deadpanned.

“That’s my face and line! Give that back,” said Tiffany as she began to tickle Yuri. They both continued their tickle fight until Yuri rolled on top of Tiffany and pinned her arms down. “Déjà vu.”

Yuri hovered above inches away from Tiffany’s face. “I really want to kiss you right now,” she whispered.

Tiffany her lips and felt her cheeks flush. She whispered, “Then do it.”

“Should I like…count to three?” asked Yuri.

Tiffany laughed and teased, “What are we in high school? Are you seriously gonna count to three and…”

Yuri didn’t wait for Tiffany to finish and kissed her on the lips gently. Tiffany froze for a moment before her brain gave her the signal to kiss Yuri back. Innocent pecks connected and reconnected, lingering a little longer with each one. Yuri moved her hands up Tiffany’s pinned arms until they met warm palms. Fingers interlaced together as they explored unknown feelings deep inside. Yuri finally pulled away and released Tiffany’s hands.

“No, we’re not in high school anymore,” Yuri said breathlessly.

“Yuri?” whispered Tiffany.

“Yes, my mushroom?” said Yuri.

 With a full blush on her face, Tiffany asked, “Can we do that again?”

“Only if you call me your boo again,” Yuri said with a grin.

“Kiss me already, boo,” Tiffany said in a huskier voice.

Yuri pulled her into a hug and leaned down again to kiss Tiffany. Yuri’s hand cupped Tiffany’s face and her thumb lightly brushed the soft cheek below. They both smiled into the kiss before continuing. Tiffany’s hand began to lightly massage the base of Yuri’s neck, making the younger girl purr in delight. She broke off the kiss and nuzzled her face into the crook of Tiffany’s neck.

“Is this really happening?” Yuri asked, inhaling Tiffany’s scent.

“It feels like a dream doesn’t it?” said Tiffany, Yuri’s hair. “My stomach is doing flips right now.”

Yuri smiled and said, “Mine too, especially now that I’m your boo.”

“Yuri,” Tiffany whined and slightly pushed Yuri away with a blush.

“You’re so cute when you get all flustered like that,” teased Yuri.

“I am not,” denied Tiffany.

Yuri kissed Tiffany’s lips and whispered against them, “You’re the most beautiful person I know, inside and out.”

“And you are the kindest person and best friend I could ever have,” Tiffany whispered then kissed Yuri’s lips gently. “I’ll be the best girlfriend I can to you.”

“You don’t have to try. I already know you will be,” Yuri said putting their foreheads together. “I meant what I said earlier though. I will always make time for you regardless of our relationship status. I really care about you, Fany, and only want to make you as happy as possible.”

“I’m sorry I got so jealous,” said Tiffany.

“Things happen for a reason. If you didn’t get jealous then you never would have confessed to me, at least not this soon. Don’t ever think that you need to hide what you feel from me. I might not be the happiest at times but I’ll always talk it out with you,” Yuri said looking Tiffany in the eyes.

“Your kind heart is what thawed mine. Thank you for always being there for me when I needed it this last year,” Tiffany said before kissing Yuri again. The rest of the evening they spent exchanging appreciations and kisses.

 

***

 

Midterms finished and so far majority of the class survived. That weekend Yuri and Tiffany invited Yuki over to show her around campus and to catch up. It felt a bit strange leading Yuki around since their junior was always the one in charge. At the same time, it was a relief for Yuki, being taken care of instead of having to take care of everyone else. Yuki was on the couch chatting with Yuri while Tiffany was making sandwiches.

“So have you decided on what you want to do for the production this year?” asked Yuri.

“Yeah. We decided to keep up with the musical theme again this year but do West Side Story,” Yuki said.

“That should be good. Let us know the date and me and Tiffany can come by and watch,” Yuri said smiling.

Tiffany came back and placed the tray of sandwiches on the coffee table. “Hope you like it, Yuki. I’m not much of a cook,” said Tiffany with a slight blush as she sat next to Yuri.

“Oh shut up, Fany. You know you are a decent cook,” Yuri said and gave Tiffany a quick peck on the lips.

Yuki dropped her sandwich on her plate the same time hit the floor. “You two just…did you just…you finally…” she babbled.

Tiffany took Yuri’s hand and nodded. “Yes, we’re dating now,” she said smiling at Yuri then at Yuki.

“Wow! I knew it! I just knew it! It’s about bloody time,” Yuki said pumping her fist in the air and laughing. “I don’t know how many times I tried to get it through both of your thick skulls that you liked each other. Everyone could see it except you two.”

“We have to thank you again Yuki for bringing us together. Who knows how long it would have taken us to realize our feelings,” Yuri said squeezing Tiffany’s hand.

“For real. This is the second time you changed the course of our lives. If there is anything you need down the line let us know,” said Tiffany as she eyesmiled at Yuki.

“It’s not a problem. I like seeing my friends happy,” Yuki said before taking a bite out of her sandwich. “This is really good!” She wolfed down the rest while Yuri and Tiffany laughed at her and ate at a much slower pace. When all the sandwiches were finished Yuki patted her stomach. “On second thought, maybe you can drop by when you have free time and bring some of these awesome sandwiches.”

Tiffany blushed at the complement and Yuri said, “That could be arranged.”

After Yuki left, Yuri had Tiffany wait on the couch for a moment. She came back and sat next to her. Tiffany didn’t know what was going on but Yuri made her close her eyes at first. When she opened them she saw a little pink box with a bow on it.

Tiffany opened the box carefully and saw that there was a charm of a heart that was the same size as the mushroom on her necklace. “It’s so pretty. When in the world did you get this?” she asked.

“When I went to mom’s that weekend. I told her about us,” Yuri said as she saw Tiffany’s face get scared. “She’s fine with it as long as we’re both happy and don’t mess up our grades. In fact, she was the one to drive me to the jewelry store when I asked if I could borrow her car.”

“Wow, I can’t believe that she’s okay with this. I’m so happy Yuri,” Tiffany said giving Yuri a hug.

“And it’s my plan to keep you happy,” Yuri said pulling away. “Every year that we are together I will add another charm to your necklace.”

Tiffany smiled as Yuri removed the necklace and added the new charm. She brushed Tiffany’s hair aside and placed the necklace back to its home. “In ten years I guess you’ll have to get a new necklace. This one will run out of space,” Tiffany said, turning around and cupping Yuri’s face.

“You have wonderful insight, my little mushroom,” Yuri said before closing the gap between them for a long kiss.   

 

 

END