My Chance

The Boys and Men of Her Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With straight black hair that desperately needed cutting, in his school uniform, Park Chanyeol looked like an ordinary bored boy going through puberty. Despite the very first impression of being too cool, thus a bit harder to approach, Chanyeol immediately caught my eye as someone I wanted to get to know. There was just something about that mischievous sparkle in his eyes and the mouth that seemed to like smiling and laughing a lot. As I learned later, I wasn't far from the truth – Chanyeol was the brightest person I have ever met. No, that would be a great understatement. Park Chanyeol represented the definition of happiness.

• • •

Since the day we had moved to Seoul, I had often seen Chanyeol in our neighbourhood, however, we hadn't started talking to each other until I was twelve. I would run into him in the middle of our street every Friday, when I was coming back home from school and Chanyeol was going to see his grandfather. He was always carrying a plastic bag with some fruit and rolled up newspaper in it. One day, this plastic bag was the reason why we suddenly became closer.

• • •

That summer afternoon, the weather was very hot and humid like two previous weeks. No wonder everyone would have given everything for a solid downpour, and on my way home, it actually seemed to me that their wish might have come true soon. Already used to it, I saw long-armed and long-legged Chanyeol across the street, messing around with the plastic bag full of oranges. It was no surprise that the bag couldn't take the intense swinging and it tore easily under the weight of the fruit, which spilled literally everywhere. Without any hesitation, I took the few steps to reach Chanyeol, who was desperately trying to gather the oranges, rolling in all directions. I knelt down and helped him put the last oranges into another bag.

“Thank you very much, Jung Eunji-ssi.” He said with a little bow, when I handed him the fruit.

“How do you know my name?” I asked in surprise, since we had never said hello to each other, not talking about having a proper conversation. All of a sudden, just when he was about to answer my question, it started to rain heavily. With his free hand, Chanyeol grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards the food stand to hide under its roof.

“My Grandpa told me about you and your family after you had moved in. Sometimes we go to your parents' restaurant for a meal. He has been praising your Omma's cooking a lot. I'm Park Chanyeol.” He said as soon as we managed to avoid the rain and coming thunderstorm, and he smiled at me so widely that I could count almost all his teeth, which is why I would nickname him Wealthy Teeth.

Little did I know, that this big-eared and widely grinning boy would actually steal my first kiss a year later.

 

 

“Yah, yah, yah! You seemed to be too mature for your age. Wasn't it quite inappropriate to kiss a girl, who probably hadn't entered middle school, yet? How old was he anyway? I kissed a girl for the first time when I was at high school. ” My husband interrupts suddenly.

“Do you want to hear it or not? And for your information, I was thirteen at that time. Anyway, it was you who suggested to talk about the important guys of my life. And that, my dear, includes childhood sweetheart and first kiss, for sure.”

“I'm starting to regret this stupid idea.”

 

Chanyeol became one of my closest friends, if not best friend. Our friendship grew even stronger when I enrolled at Chanyeol's middle school. Since then, we were basically inseparable. When I got on the bus, Chanyeol would already be there, saving a seat for me next to him. He would go to my class to see me during breaks, we would eat lunch and leave school together, which made some of my classmates a little bit jealous – Chanyeol's cheerfulness and playful attitude towards life made him quite a popular sunbae among girls.

• • •

My friend Bomi brought the topic up during one of our lunches. “What's up with you and Chanyeol sunbae? Is he your boyfriend, or what?”

“And from where did this absurd idea come from?” My eyebrows immediately flew up just at the thought of that. Me and Chanyeol? Never. Ever.

“You two seem to be very close, eonnie, so...” The usually quiet and shy Naeun glanced up at me, eagerness and curiosity written all over her face.

“So what? We're just really good friends, you shouldn't be giving it a more meaning than it has.”

Naeun hurried up with her assurance, flustered that she might have in some way offended me. I loved that kid, she was so sweet and innocent. “Oh, if you say so, we believe you!”

“Yeah, but it's not only us, who are wondering abou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter