fourteen

그냥 ((Just Because))

Taekwoon ran a hand through his hair in frustration. It had been 2 days and Hakyeon hasn't come back to the dorm ever since. The kids are nagging at him to do something and management is beginning to get even more agitated as the minutes ticked by.

In reality, he regretted everything he did and said. He knew he should have forfeited from the bet, the stupid game of ego and nerves, the moment he fell genuinely in love with Hakyeon. Instead, he found himself playing along and being the puppet to his devillish friends. Even when he knew that his jarsh words would scar Hakyeon for life, he still pushed forward, mainly because his friends were watching, but also due to his own pride.

 

Look at the huge mess he managed to get himself into right now. He ends up breaking the heart of the person he loves so much. That person who would take a bullet for Taekwoon , the person who would die for Taekwoon, sacrifice anything, everything for Taekwoon. If only he had another chance to set things right. Would he be forgiven? He lets out an annoyed silent huff as he plopped down onto the couch.

"Hyung...?"

Taekwoon's head swieveled around, his eyes landing on Wonshik who was standing in the doorframe of his shared bedroom with Sanghyuk.

 

"Hm..?"

"If I were to put you on the line with someone significantly related to us, can you promise to be nice?"

Taekwoon perked up and stood.

"Hakyeon?"

Wonshik shook his head.

"Promise me first, hyung."

".....I promise." Wonshik hesitated for a moment before eventually handing the phone over to Taekwoon with shaky hands..

"Hello?"

"Hello? Taekwoon-sshi?"

"Umm...yes? May I know who is on the line?"

"Taekwoon, it's Hakyeon's father."

His heart sunk as he glanced at the nervous Wonshik, shifting from a feet to another.

"Oh. Yes, may I help you?"

"Taekwoon, this is about Hakyeon. He-"

"I am sorry uncle but we broke up"

(Stupid. Why can you not just admit that you were wrong, idiot!)

"I know. I am very well aware of that. But Taekwoon, for the first and probably last time ever. I am begging you. I beg you with my whole heart and soul, with my whole being. Please Taekwoon. It is Hakyeon's dying wish to meet you Taekwoon. Although he does not voice it out, as his father, I know him better than anyone else. I really want to be able to put a smile on that pale face of his and hear his melodious laugh for the last time before he takes his leave and stop hurting. Please Taekwoon, would you grant his last wish? At least, have mercy on my old, creaky bones. I would've come and kneel in frint of you if I could but-"

"Yes, I know that, uncle, I just- wait. What? D-dying wish? What are you talking about uncle?"

"*sighs* He did not tell you did he? I should have known. Taekwoon? Hakyeon has lung cancer. And its a malignant cancer. No one knows when his last day is but the doctors, they said it wouldn't be long now. So please, Taekwoon. Come here? I promise I would tell you all that I know...."

 

But Taekwoon wasn't listening. The moment dying wish was mentioned, he was already speeding down the emergency stairs, the lift being too slow for his liking. He climbs into the company car, not giving a of what might happen later. He blocked out Wonshik's hollers and the other members, staff and manager's bewildered looks as he sped off into the chill of the icy Winter road with tears streaming down his face. Hakyeon, his Hakyeon had been in pain all these while and he was the closest person to Hakyeon, the only person Hakyeon trusts and laid his bare soul for Taekwoon to read. But Taekwoon had been chosen to be blind, the easier route than to deal with his feelings. He had been ignorant enough to not notice the mini signals Hakyeon was sending him, those pleading eyes at times that Taekwoon had brushed them off as one of Hakyeon's annoying antics. His sobs grew louder and resonated throughout the car, body shaking with a mix of anger, sadness, guilt and pain. He could never erase the look on Hakyeon's face the night he had spat out stupid pointless words that had torn a bloody hole in Hakyeon's heart. The worst part was that he had done it all just for the sake of a stupid bet with its stupid game of nerves and a whole lot bunch of money. He also refused to back down beacuse of his pride! Can the money save Hakyeon now? Can the extra million won bring happiness and erase the pain Hakyeon bears? No. There is nothing that wad of money could do now. It could never turn back time and rewrite history, could never bring them back together. Nothing. Zilch, nada.

Taekwoon slamed on the brakes as he cursed under his breath when he parked and ran on full speed to the lobby. Hakyekn's words kept replaying in his mind in a loop as if it was a broken tape and was cursed to haunt him till the end of time.

'My love for you would never change, Taekwoonie~'

"Where is Cha Hakyeon?"

"I am sorry  sir but -"

" THAT BULL POLICY. Just... just tell me where Hakyeon is please.... I beg you."

Taekwoon had roared and the receptionist was obviously taken off guard, her eyes bulging out behind her glasses. She stuttered a little before scurrying over to the computer, typing away furiously.

"Cha Hakyeon, Room 3006, Level 10. But sir, visiting hours are over so I don't think...."

 

Taekwoon completely ignored her and began running towards the lift. He slammed his fist on the close button, thus effectively stopping people from boarding the lift. Once he got off the lift after a few more slamming and jabbing, he sprinted, eyes darting around widely,desperately searching for room 3006.

 

'Whether I am by your side or not, I will always love you.'

 

He almost slipped when he turned around the corner but started running again when he saw that room, the room at the end of the hallway. He now stood in front of the door, panting and coughing. He placed his hand on the door knob, still hesitant and too scared to go inside. He is scared at the images that will greet him. The sight of his lifeless Hakyeon on the bed, tubes running all over his body like snakes over their prey. The sight of his Hakyeon all pale and deadly, eyes closed, breath shallow, almost invisible. Body so fragile as if when touched, would crumble to dust, leaving nothing but memories behind. Taekwoon shook his head erraticaly, shoving the nasty thoughts away. He inhaled a shaky stream of air  and opened the door, embracing himself for whatever image that would scar him to his deathbed.

 

Instead he walked in and found Hakyeon standing on the balcony in the hospital uniform with a black beanie, the beanie they always share Taekwoon notices. The wind was blowing on his face, fringe swaying away to the wind, eyes closed and the moonlight shone on his face, highlighting his magnificent features even more.Taekwoon stood there mouth agape in awe. How could someone be this breathtaking, this beautiful when... when death is a certainity for him? One word crossed his racing mind at that point; Hakyeon looks like an Angel. It feels as if a pair of wings would bloom from his shoulder blade at any moment. Taekwoon gulps and strides over silently. He slowly sneaked his arms around the tiny waist and rested his chin on Hakyeon's left shoulder.

"Hakyeon...."  He whispers

Hakyeon was clearly taken aback, not expecting his presence at all and he yelped as he turned around to face his silent assaulter. And finally,Taekwoon sees them all; the proof of the battle that Hakyeon was fighting on his own all these time.

The eyebags and dark circles, the droopy sleepy eyes, the dry chapped lips and the pale sickly complexion. It looks as if Hakyeon had aged terribly in the past 2 days. He swallowed back a sob threatening to escape as he took in Hakyeon's features. Hakyeon was terrified and moved back a step but Taekwoon is not letting him go easily. Not this time. 

"Hakyeon, please.. I am sorry, I -"

"Why... How do you know? Father. My father told you didn't he?!"

" Hakyeon listen. I am sorry. I was stupid, I was blind. I was heartless. Call me any names you want but please forgive me. At least let me take care of you, let me be with you.I'm so stupid Hakyeon I swear. Just for an extra million won I was blinded. I now realise that those extra notes cannot undo things and can never turn back time -"

"Then why?! Why do you do this to me! Do you know how hurt I was above all the pain I had? I was hoping that you'd understand, that you, above everyone else would be there for me! Instead you left me alone, you spat venomous words into my face, scaring my heart forever. You let me suffer alone when all I need right now is you, is to be with you!" 

 

Hakyeon began pulling away but to no avail. Chemotherapy had really taken the effect on him as his energy level plunges down. Taekwoon easily pulled him to his chest, immediately engulfing him in an embrace so tight he could hear Hakyeon wheeze. But he won't let go, he'll never let go.Not now, not forever. He whispered countless 'sorrys' into the other's hair as tears ran down his face for the umpteenth time that day.

"By hurting you, Hakyeon, I have hurt myself tremendously. I could lie to people but I can't lie to myself. It hurts Hakyeon. It hurts so much. More than you'd ever know."

"You are stupid and mean and foolish....But I'll forgive you. Because you're my idiot at least, and because I, I love you too much Jung Taekwoon"

Taekwoon hiccuped as he swooped down to cup Hakyeon's face gently and bring their lips together. No one could be bothered at how salty the tears caused the kiss to be. No one could be bothered to tell them to go inside unless they want to catch a cold. No one could care less. All that mattered was that they are in each other's arms, a perfect mold. They are together on the balcony of a hospital where public could easily see them but then they didn't care. They just kisssed and kissed as if there was no tomorrow.

The security wordlessly shut the door behind him. 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------

A/N: Hello! Omg. This is the longest chapter I think. I am mad at how easy Hakyeon forgives Taekwoon but we'll see :) Read, comment subscribe and have fun! Leave an upvote if you are kind enough ^^