One

To Love You In Silence

Iodine, the smell of iodine trickles in Kai’s nose as he swung the door open. Euna got confined again.

 

Asking her what she's feeling with eyes wandering around the four white walls of the confinement. He stops when he sees Kris, Euna's lover, all curled up on the sofa, lost in his dreams.

 

Euna nods and puts a finger on her lips, signaling Kai to keep silent as Kris sleeps.

 

“Did he stay here all night?” Kai whispers.

“He just got here a couple of hours ago, been busy with school I guess.” She replies, shrugging her shoulders.

 

He shakes his head, “Euna I don’t think it’s college he’s been busy with-“

“Kai, I trust him okay?”

 

He sighs and nods his head after a few seconds of mentally debating whether to tell Euna what he saw last night. He shrugs though, finally letting his considerate side win.

 

Kris wakes up in approximately 4 minutes after the awkward silence between Euna and Kai. He rubs his eyes, stands up and asks Euna if she’s feeling any better. She reaches out her hand to him while sweetly smiling and whispers that she’s fine, better now that he’s here.

 

Kai, sitting in a corner, watched the scene and he swears he just heard his heart shatter.

 

A week passed and Euna is now arranging her things for school tomorrow as she was now discharged form 6 days of hospitalization. She should’ve still been laid and still resting but she’s so eager, too eager to attend her classes again.

 

Kai was sitting beside her, still constantly nagging and debating with his inner self to if he’s going to spill the details of last night.

 

Euna pops a smile and replies, "I’m going to see him again.”

 

Kai smiles and ruffles her hair, showing not one real emotion.

 

 

Tomorrow came, and Kai was now walking with Euna to school. Nearing a café, Kai excitedly pulled the younger and ran inside.  He remembers on how they used to do this when they were still kids.

 

 

 

“Hello, we're new here and my mommy told me to play outside, but I don't have any friends. Can I join you?”, a three-year old Kris asked.

"But you're too tall!  My Teddy bear said no!" A short, wide-eyed, 4 year old retorted.

“Hey Soo, don’t be mean.  Maybe we can all just play along.  But Mr. Tall boy, do you have a teddy bear? My bear here looks sad. He said he wants new friends."  Euna grinned cheekily.

"Oh yes yes!  We can play with my baby ace over there!" Kris replied, short fingers pointing to a strange looking white alpaca stuff toy by the corner of a moving truck.

 

A toothless Kai runs towards them cradling a pororo stuff toy with his hands. Euna waves happily and introduces him to Kris. Kai grins and shakes his hand.

 

“Mommy said we can go by the café and order milkshakes. Come on! Come on!”

 

 

 

 

Kai chuckles as he reminisced their first meeting with Kris and how Euna had so little crush on him. Kai didn’t mind it before, but 10 years later he finds himself constantly bothered on how the two came up. Yes, he’s been in love with Euna for almost three years now but Euna doesn’t know it.