/02.

Precinct Thirteen

“So, Jung – would you do the honors?” said Kai as he looked over at his partner, Krystal, who sighed and stood up, walking to the giant whiteboard at the front of the room. Her long brown hair flowing down to her waist, she was wearing the usual – grey trouser suit with a block orange blouse underneath. She grabbed the marker eraser and where it said ‘Kim – Jung’ in the corner, she rubbed out the number underneath Kai’s name, muttering “I hate this,” under her breath in spite. The number under Kai’s name being ‘24’ whereas the number under hers is ‘22’. In the background, applause and snide remarks from Kai’s mouth could be heard and the rest of the precinct was laughing and talking amongst themselves. “I’m winning!” proclaimed Kai, “It’s a good feeling, I like it.” He grinned over to Detective Sooyoung, who was lounged back on her chair with her feet on top of the table. “Enjoy it while it lasts,” states Krystal whilst making her way back to her seat on the front row. “I will!” Kai responded with a laugh before looking over at Sergeant Kyuhyun, paying attention to the morning briefing.

“Double K, update on the Morganthau murder?” asked Kyuhyun, looking over at Kai, who instantly stood up. “Yeah! Good news for all you murder fans.” He said while approaching the front desk, “Earlier this morning... Someone decided to shoot and kill luxury food importer Henry Morganthau,” he continued to explain, picking up the pointer and pressing buttons to switch slides – showing photos of the crimescene on the flatscreen television. “Body was found by the cleaning lady, during her interview – I deduced, using expert Detective work, that she had something super gross on her chin,” he changed the slide to a picture of an elderly woman with a large brown mole on her chin – with hair coming out of it. The precinct react in a hum of ‘Ew’s’ and ‘Eugh’s’ and Xiumin, Kai’s best friend, says “I think it was flan.”

“Xiumin thinks it’s flan, I think it was butterscotch pudding,” said Kai, still standing at the front of the room. “Maybe it was just old person gunk.” Sooyoung started, “You know how old people always have that gunk on them?” She crossed her arms over her chest, looking at Kai. “Oldie gunk, could be, yeah – Anyone else?” he asked, looking around the precinct to see if anyone else had any input on the really gross thing on the cleaners chin.

Sargeant Kyuhyun stepped forward, interrupting Kai, “How about we focus on the murder, and not the old person gunk?” he suggested, looking at the precinct which he is in charge of. “Crime techs are at the scene now, we’re heading back when they’re done,” announced Krystal. “Okay, I want you on this. It’s gonna be priority one for the new C.O.” said Kyuhyun, he was trying to be more stern than normal due to the new captains arrival – he was a proud sergeant, and he wanted his precinct to not embarrass themselves. Everyone started to move when Sooyoung called out, “Wait, tell us about the new captain.” She demanded, “Captain Lee will be here soon, he’ll wanna introduce himself – dismissed.” responded Kyuhyun, gathering together the paperwork while everyone stood up and left to start working.

Once everyone was settled, Xiumin approached Amber, sitting down on the chair which was meant for visitors in front of the front desk. “Hey Amber, you know any scalpers?” he asked, his voice hopeful. “I wanna ask Sooyoung to go to the Rihanna concert with me but it’s sold out,” he explained his intentions, to which Amber responded with “Okay, two points to make here,” she began, “First... Rihanna? You,” she pointed her pen at Xiumin, “and then Rihanna,” she lifted her arms, doing ‘jazz-hands’ to accompany her insult. “Yeah. What’s your second point?” asked Xiumin, his voice slightly fed up but not offended by Ambers lack of nice. “She’s got a type,” she said, signaling to Sooyoung – who was kicking the vending machine due to her chocolate bar getting stuck. “Which is really anyone but you.” She added blankly, Xiumin simply nodded and agreed, “Yeah, that was my ex-girlfriends type too,” he sighed. “Look, a Rihanna concert is a pretty big swing, man. I don’t know, she’s into watching old movies,” stated Amber, trying to help out a lost cause. Xiumin shot up from his momentary slump, “Cool! Where would I find a place that shows old movies?” he asked, leaning forward over Ambers desk – talking in a slightly hushed voice to make sure Sooyoung doesn’t hear. “Oh, yeah, just go on the internet and search for the phrase ‘I want to buy two movie tickets for a girl who doesn’t like me’.” She said, her voice filled with sarcasm. “Great, thank you,” Xiumin rolled his eyes as he stood up and made his way back to his desk.

Meanwhile, Krystal walked over to Kai’s desk “Hey, have you heard anything about the new captain?” she asked, throwing a scrunched up piece of paper in the trash. “Uh, no, and I don’t care. I just wish Captain Park never left, he was the best,” said Kai, taking a moment to appreciate the former captain by looking at his desk and sighing. “He was terrible!” said Krystal, crossing her arms, “you just liked him cos he let you do anything you wanted.” She claimed, looking at Kai with a frown on her face.

/FLASHBACK/

“On your marks, get set...” shouted Kai while sat on a spinny chair in the middle of the room, next to Det. Sooyoung – both holding fire extinguishers. Just as they were about to take off, the former Captain walked out of his office, “What the hell’s going on out here?” he asked, looking at Kai – who quickly replied with, “fire extinguisher roller chair derby?” The captain, who was a short – fat, elderly man with a mustache and round spectacles, simply said “Okay,” and walked back into his office.

“And go!” shouted Sooyoung as both her and Kai press the buttons on their fire extinguishers, causing their chairs to spin around the office while they and everyone in the room laugh at the scene.

/END OF FLASHBACK/

“What’s your point?” asks Kai, looking directly at Krystal. She sighs, her lips forming into a tight line as she glances away from Kai, “If I’m ever gonna make Captain, I need a good mentor, I need my rabbi.” She explained, Krystal grew up in a family of police officers and being the only female – you have to stand out to make an impression. “Sorry dude, but this new guy’s gonna be another washed up pencil pusher who’s only concerned with...” he puts on a robotic tone, moving his hands to match his persona. “...following every rule in the patrol guide. Meep Morp Zeep. Robot Captain engage-“ “Is that what you think?” A deep, stern voice comes from behind Kai, interrupting his robot impression. “He-Hey!” exclaimed Kai, “New Captain alert,” he said as he stood up, looking around at his colleagues for a helping hand which no one was willing to provide, “you must be the new C.O, I’m Detective Kim Kai, great to meet you.” he continued, but the superior wasn’t having any of it. “Now don’t let me interrupt, you were describing what kind of person I’m gonna be, I’d like you to finish.” He said sternly, his voice and facial expression unchanging.

Kai let out a breath, “That’s not necessary.” He looked at the Captain, who’s face just fell into a deeper frown. “Or I could recap, very quickly, sure,” Kai stumbled quickly, unsure of what to say, he took another quick, desperate look around at Krystal only to find that she’s staring at him with a smug grin on her face, “Um, let’s see..” he began, “I think I said some joke about being a washed-up pencil pusher, which—“ “Now do the robot voice,” demanded Captain Lee. “The robot voice you were doing when you implied I’m a rule-following robot, I wanna hear it again,” he said, staring straight at the young Detective. Kai lifted his arms and reluctantly repeated the robot voice, “Meep Morp... Zarp, Robot,” he said slowly. “That’s a terrible robot voice,” stated Captain Lee, Kai nodded in agreement “Yep,” he said. “The next time I see you, I’d like you to be wearing a necktie,” the Captain signaled to Kai’s messy, untucked blue shirt which had the first 3 buttons undone. He then walked away from Kai and walked towards his new office, stopping in front of it and turning around to look at the rest of the Precinct. “Oh uh, actually, the last Captain didn’t care if we wore ties,” stated Kai, a necktie meant more things to do when he wakes up in the morning. “Well your new Captain does, and more importantly – he cares that you follow his direct orders,” he responded before addressing everyone else.

“Everyone, I’m your new commanding officer, Captain Lee Soo Man,” he announced himself, taking a good look at his new team. “Speech!” shouted Krystal, pushing the Captain to do a introduction speech. “That was my speech,” he responded. “Short and sweet,” she said, giving the captain a thumbs up. Sergeant Cho, a word,” said the captain, calling Kyuhyun over while walking into his office.

When he was gone, Krystal exhaled and turned to face Kai, “I love that guy,” she said with a smile. “Same!” said Kai sarcastically. “So suave, does anyone get a little bit of a gay vibe?” Amber joined in, her voice monotone as usual. When she received nothing but blank looks, she simply said “No? Okay,” and returned to her desk. 

A/N:

Here's Chapter 2, I hope you liked it c: Chapter 3 should be up soon!