`〔 f i n a l 〕。

Greeting The Neighbour


 

I clutched the plate of rice cakes in my one of my hands, a cold chill running my spine. The more I kept walking, the more farther away I had become from society. I felt goosebumps litter my body, small bumps evident on my snow white skin that basked in the moonlight. It had become the only light source I had. The torch I had brought with me had run out of battery half way down the road. I already had weak vision already so the darkness had made it even worse.

 

I kept walking as I let my empty hand run through the cold, wet raven coloured gates. It did rain earlier, when I was secured inside my warm quaint home. Although I thoroughly enjoyed lazing around playing video games on my consoles, it was indeed on my parent’s request for me to go on.  My mother had fallen ill this morning and was planning to meet the new neighbour that moved into the manor not far from our cottage. She had prepared her well-renowned rice cakes the night before and worked so hard on impressing the new person. Of course, I had to step in and help her when she looked so weak and helpless. I took my mother’s place without a second’s thought as I chucked on a green army printed jacket before she could react and stop me. 

 

If I had been informed how far it actually was, I would’ve asked my friend Taehyung to drop me off nearby in his apparently ‘new’ rusty red car. The surprisingly humid wind blew mildly against me as if it were pushing me away from the manor. To not even step one foot inside. I gulped a lump in my throat, shaking off such an absurd thought. It was just a cold evening, nothing more than that. However, my senses started becoming more alert now. The strong distinct smell of wet dirt filled my nostrils, a distraction from my thoughts to say the least. Well, the dirt was incredibly wet, dirtying my white converses instantly with its brown goop. I trudged on, unknowing of what’s to come. 

 

Suddenly, I felt my hand hit hard, cool gravel of the entrance. It had shocked me at first, being so used to the metal sensation hitting my numbing fingers just moments before. I lifted my head up in an attempt to make out the words that were engraved into the stone to which I miserably failed at doing so. With a quiet sigh, i peek my head into the huge opening. The stuffy atmosphere created a light grey fog under the moonlit sky as if it were a barrier separating the manor and me. An unpleasant feeling pooled in my stomach but still made my way through into the foggy area.

 

The ability to speak was suddenly stripped from my throat as I stepped inside. I grasp it desperately in an attempt to sooth it but I speak no matter how much I try. The constant crowing above me of the night birds circled around me as their noises grew as if they were mocking me. I glare at them as their laughter grew heavier and heavier, the urge to choke the jet-black birds to death becoming stronger with each crow. 

 

I decided to ignore those blasted creatures. After all, I shouldn’t let a few pesky things with wings get to me. I’m better than that. I had noticed the long forgotten rice cakes in my hands that were steaming hot are now surprisingly colder. I knew I had to move quickly so that my mother’s food can get there at least at a warm temperature. 

 

The sticky mud that was usually awaiting my already dirtied converses were instantly replaced by a stone pathway that was carved into a curved motion. It made a noise every time I took a step. It sounded like each beat of my thumping heart. It started to ache painfully as if it was signalling I was doing something wrong. I bit the skin of my bottom lip, distracting myself with the aching pain of my abused lip rather than my heart.

 

Suddenly, I heard a distant moan not so far away from here. My blood ran cold instantly. I snap my head back to find out the owner of that terrifying noise. The fog blocked my vision. What if someone was following me? I tried so hard to think of anything else but the thought of someone actually watching me making me cold sweat. 

 

My body acted quickly. I started to run aimlessly, taking extra care that the rice cakes would not fall out of my grasps. I needed to get away from the previous spot in the hopes of losing whoever was behind him. My ears faintly picked up soft footsteps which were coming closer and closer towards me. I pick up my already fast pace, facing forward so I would never ever see the horrible persona of a human that trailed behind me. Was it even human? I am sure as hell I ain't gonna find out. 

 

I spotted the entrance to the large manor not so far and started to run even more faster, swiftly going past big rocks. The unknown creature is also starting to run faster and faster. I didn’t know I was holding my breath in until now.  I may not know the new owner of the horrendous estate but anywhere inside is better than out here where death greeted me. I started pounding on the wooden 

door frantically, almost breaking it’s already weak exterior. A sigh of relief came out of my mouth as the door swung open, blinding my eyes with the shining lights. 

 

“Are those rice cakes for me?” A soft voice spoke, a small head peeking put from the door. 

 

Our neighbor was the definition of cute. His dark brown hair fell just above his eyes with illuminated the whole room with its sparkling exterior. His ears were perched up upon seeing me, turning red immediately. His skin shone in the artificial light and made him look like an angel that had fallen from heaven. His soft looking lips were pursed as he was deciding to let me in or not. 

 

"Yeah, they are. I'm Jeon Jungkook by the way," I said, smiling widely at the boy in front of me. 

 

"Park Jimin. I'm the owner of the manor right now..." He muttered loud enough for me to hear, twiddling his thumbs as he spoke. 

 

Even if I have to go through that experience time and time again, even if I have to be followed by that mysterious person again and again, I'll do anything to see the innocent angel again. The thought of such an angel living in such an unworthy environment makes me want to just want to get my stuff and stay with him. 

 

"Why are you still out in the cold? Come in," He smiled, his eyes turning into crescent moons.

 

I'm definitely coming back.