Intertwined

Intertwined

 

Hanbin wasn’t sure if it was like…or love. He’s never been in love before. Sure, he had a few crushes here and there; like that ex YG trainee whom he used to take rap lessons with. But she’s in a different agency now and he hasn’t seen her in a while so the feelings sort of drifted away.

 

He was nodding as he thought about the uncertainties running around his head while looking at the girl behind the glass windows, moving her head to the beat of the music playing from her headphones.

 

“Hanbin, did you finish revising the rap?” Teddy came in the recording studio clad in his usual gray hoodie getup.

 

“Just did. I added a few lines which Hayi can give a melody to while I rap,” he replied. The iKon leader set aside the Minnie Mouse pen he’s been constantly using while writing his lyrics.

 

Strange. The pen was everywhere in the office.

 

He handed the paper to Teddy.

 

Hanbin looked at Hayi, but he looked away when she looked back; their eyes locked for a second.

 

What was that electrifying sound?

 

The thought of him practicing with her inside that soundproof room made him uncomfortable. He didn’t understand if it was extreme excitement because he helped produce the song or if it was because she was singing it.

 

He never really noticed her until she came by the YG training center for vocal lessons before her debut. She was timid, shy, awkward and strange during his first encounter with her. Her style didn’t really match his, but after that Let It Go performance, he thought they actually blended well together.

 

Lee Hayi wasn’t the talkative type. “Too introverted,” he thought. Hanbin, on the other hand, had too much charisma that he didn't mind crowds begging to hear his mighty rap skills. 

 

“Hanbin-sshi, would you mind listening to the lines we recorded?” Lydia asked, taking her eyes off the computer monitor for the first time. She had been too indulged with producing Hayi’s new album that she had even pledged to stay with her until she finished recording all her songs.

 

“Uh… Y-yeah. Sure. Let’s hear it.” Hanbin stood next to the female PD.

 

“So this is the line that’s a bit fast. Hayi’s struggling but I think this is the best that we’ve got for now.”

 

Lydia hit the play button and Hayi’s deep, soulful voice reverberated in the room. It was beautiful at first, but the ending sounded flat and cold.

 

“Those last lines,” he rubbed his chin as he recalled the faults. “They talk about nervousness. Like when you stand beside the person you like and your heart starts rapidly beating.” Hanbin took a glance at Hayi who was looking at him earnestly.

 

His heart pounded.

 

“So… um… She needs to put more emotion there.”

 

He glanced at her again; this time, acknowledging the rapid heartbeats she was causing him. Hanbin, despite the whirl of emotions confusing him, did his best to give an honest critique.

 

Lydia nodded a few times as she underlined the lines Hayi failed to hit right with feelings.

 

“Hayi-sshi, are you able to relate with the lines? Should we revise them?” Lydia asked, pressing a button for Hayi to hear on the other side.

 

Hayi thought it would be a hassle to revise more lines after they’ve revised so many times. It was originally an iKon song but YG deemed it proper as a Hayi feat. Hanbin song.

 

“No, it’s okay. I just need to get more into it,” she replied, avoiding Hanbin’s piercing gaze. She was right about the dating thing which YG had never approved. Had she been allowed to date, she would’ve been able to explore and express her feelings better.

 

“Should I look for a drama so you can find those feelings?” Lydia asked playfully. They did the same thing when Hayi recorded her first album.

 

“Why don’t you just put Hanbin inside and let them pretend. Like acting,” Teddy butted in, pushing Hanbin towards the recording room door.

 

“H-hyung!”

 

Before the rookie leader could even protest, he found himself inside the recording studio with Teddy locking the door from the outside.

 

“I’m not opening it unless Hayi gets it right so you better help each other, okay?”

 

“Hyung, isn’t this a little cruel?” Hanbin whined.

 

“Aren’t you used to cruel? Hayi, Hanbin, fighting!” Teddy raised a fist at the duo.

 

Lydia beamed as she watched the two teens standing awkwardly beside each other. “Okay, you two. We’re doing acting now. Hayi, you like Hanbin secretly. You’re standing in a bus and it’s cramped so you have no choice but to actually stand close to each other. I need to let Hayi’s nervousness out.”

 

Hayi and Hanbin exchanged gazes and the atmosphere suddenly felt stuffy and hot that Hanbin had to slightly stretch the collar of his shirt to let air in. Hayi busied herself scrolling through the lyrics, avoiding contact as much as possible.

 

Lydia played the music and Hayi waited for her cue.

 

“It beats so fast

My heart (my heart)

Are you able to hear it?

I don’t want you to

It’s embarrassing already

Just standing next to you…”

 

Lydia and Teddy’s eyes widened. Their ‘cruel’ method actually worked. Hayi sounded perfect that a second recording felt useless. But they did it anyway, for backup purposes. 

 

“Okay! The next lines talk about your happiness since you’re spending time with him. Can you hold his hand? I think that kind of emotion requires physical contact.” Lydia joined Teddy in his romantic concepts, making the male PD chuckle behind her.

 

“D-do we have to do that? Wouldn’t that cause a nervous emotion instead? We’re not very comfortable…” Hayi complained, her voice shaking. She had never held hands with anyone. “But I thought the both of you are same-age friends? And didn’t you do a duet together?”

 

Hanbin sighed.

 

The music began.

 

“But even though

You don’t know

I still like it this way

Standing next to you every day…”

 

Teddy immediately cut them out. “I feel nothing, guys.” 

 

Hanbin ran a hand through his hair and took a deep breath as Hayi kept her gaze downward. She jolted as she felt Hanbin’s hand gripping hers. Flesh on flesh, it gave her an electrifying reaction. Hanbin felt like his heartbeat could be heard through the condenser microphone in front of them.

 

“You can do it,” he smiled shyly. Hayi swore Hanbin looked really awkward, but she was touched with all the effort he's putting into this song.

 

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, imagining the whole situation. She felt Hanbin’s grip tighten as the music began. She opened her eyes, feeling a surge of determination flowing inside of her as if a switch has been . 

 

It was overwhelming, but she developed a new understanding of the song thanks to the environment Lydia and Teddy provided. When she reached the bridge, she saw Lydia stand up, nodding her head with a big smile on her face. As the music came to a stop, Teddy clapped his hands and they both welcomed the young artists outside the recording room.

 

“Wow, Hayi-sshi. You actually pulled that off very well! Hanbin did a good job in there!” Lydia praised, squeezing Hayi's shoulder with assurance.

 

After Teddy’s last comments, he bid goodbye for another appointment.

 

Hayi headed for the door but stopped when she heard Lydia call her name.

 

“Hayi-sshi?”

 

The soloist turned around and found the female PD leaning on the table, looking at them, smirking.
 


Hanbin looked down at their entwined hands, then at Hayi whose cheeks had turned bright red.

 

END


 

A/N: Thank you for reading. I'm a hardcore Hanbin x Hayi shipper because they're...well... um.... I don't know but I just love them together, okay?