him

Arrogant

 

It's been some time since I confessed to her, and it's been a while since she accepted my feelings too. I mean, how could she not, I'm undeniably the whole package! I'm tall, gentlemanly and handsome, plus I'm a superb vocalist and dancer.

Donghyuk even told me that I was getting less grumpier ever since Soo Gi and I confessed to each other. I told him I was never grumpy, people were just irritating.

Still, I feel like it all happened so fast, like I was in some kind of cheesy cliche high school drama where the lead guy hates the girl at first sight, but eventually falls in love with her. Except, I did not really hate Soo Gi at first sight. In fact, I was daunted by her. Okay, maybe I did hate her a bit at first sight.

 



It was an off day for iKon, and everyone took the opportunity to rest or visit their families. I, however, chose to stay and practice more. Chanwoo wanted to stay too, but Jinhwan hyung insisted that he needs rest. He tried to make me stay at home too, but I'm too awesome to be restrained. Or maybe he was just too small, idk really.

I went to the training center early to practice, because sometimes its nice to practice in solitude, where there's no Hanbin hyung staring down at us with his everlasting face, or Jinhwan hyung being the best dancer as usual, or sweaty Bobby hyung rolling around the floor and trying to hug everyone to "make them feel the love". Here, when I'm alone, the only person that can be the best is me. The only person that I'm trying to beat is me, and the only person that will point out my mistakes is me.

I was planning to stay in the training room all day long, and get out only for bathroom breaks or for lunch. I would do our usual warm up, dance some of our old routines, and then proceed to the new one. There would be no trouble in monitoring myself since there are mirrors all around, and the video camera is always available in the practice room.

As I arrived in front of our practice room, I began to wonder whether I should just spend the day working out (I almost have abs. Ha.) but I did reserve the room for myself for the whole day, and the staff were not around, so it would be such a waste. I twisted the knob of the door of our usual practice room, and as soon as I was inside, I was surprised and somewhat confused. There was already a girl inside, stretching. She must be new, I haven't seen her around much. Then again, we don't really work with the female trainees much, but really, my instincts says she's new, and my awesome instincts never lie.

I stayed still and stared at her for a moment, contemplating whether I should approach her or just stay here and talk. 

"I thought I reserved this room," I said, somewhere halfway between approaching her and staying by the door. It must've came out sounding somewhat accusingly, because she stared at me like I had two heads and returned to tightening her shoelaces.

"How would I know? It doesn't have your name on it." She replied sassily, which made me turn on my complete sass mode.

"Yah, do you know who I am?" I demanded, raising the tone of my voice. I really didn't mean to use the "who-trained-longer" card, but she was new, and rude. 

She stopped what she was doing and stared, "No. Am I supposed to? Unless you're an idol that YG debuted while I was asleep, then I have no interest in knowing who you are." 

I went speechless after that. Then I walked out.

I, Koo Junhoe, the king of sass, have just been out-sassed.

I shall have my revenge.

 


"Yah, the staff told me that YG sajangnim is coming here." Hanbin hyung suddenly announced after entering the room. "I don't know why, but let's just hope its good news."

Everyone stopped practicing and stared at hyung with mixed emotions: shocked, surprised and anxious. Sajangnim only ever comes here on monthly evaluations, and when he needs to announce something really important. The monthly evaluation was done last week, so it must be an announcement. I remained calm. What else would you expect from YG anyway?

"Don't tell me he's putting us in another survival show, because I can't stand another survival show." Yunhyeong hyung said, laughing nervously while wiping off his sweat.

"Maybe he's going to tell us when our debut's going to be!" Bobby hyung said, as positive as ever.

"Let's not get our hopes up, Kimbab." Hanbin hyung replied.

"He's here." Jinhwan hyung whisper-shouted, making us all stand up.

"Annyeonghaseyo." All of us bowed as our boss entered.

He bowed his head at us in return.

What caught our attention were the three girls behind him. One of them was a brunette. The other one had blue hair. And the other one.

Wasn't she the that girl who out-sassed me a few months ago? I narrowed my eyes at her warily. All three of them were looking down shyly, so I took the moment to stare at her, and maybe figure out how can I get my revenge.

Her hair must be natural. She wasn't the tallest among them, but she wasn't the shortest as well, and I approve of her style. She looks hip hop-ish. I wonder how well can she dance. Does she sing? Or is she a rapper?

"Hi, I'm Shin Soo Gi. Please take care of me." She introduced herself last, bowing.

"You will be training with these girls from now on. Train them hard. I'm leaving them in your responsibility, Hanbin-ah." YG sajangnim said.

At least it isn't another survival show.

"Welcome to our practice room." Bobby hyung approached them, being the friendly person he is. "Since you're all younger than me, I think, you should call me oppa. I'm Jiwon, but people call me Bobby."

We all stayed quiet and waited for Hanbin hyung to introduce himself first, but that wasn't was Bobby hyung was thinking.

"He is B.I.," Bobby hyung pointed at Hanbin hyung, "but his real name is Hanbin."

"That small guy over there is Jinhwan-hyung." Jinhwan hyung glared at him, but he just laughed it off.

"Hyung, we can introduce ourselves just fine." Donghyuk interrupted, "I'm Donghyuk. How old are you? You look like we're the same age."

"I'm actually 16," she answered. "We're all 16 years old."

Donghyuk grinned, "I'm 17, so I'm still your oppa."

Oh Donghyuk, don't fall into her evil clutches. 

"Stop flirting and get on with the practice." I told them, nearly irritated.

"Junhoe, stop being so grumpy and introduce yourselves to our new friends."

Nah, you already said my name. That's enough for them to know.

 


"Let's start." Hanbin hyung said, clapping his hands to gain our attention, "iKon will not dance today. Let's see you girls dance on your own."

The girls blinked, surprised at Hanbin-hyung's sudden request, while the others proceeded to sit in front to have a clear view of them dancing. I wanted to sit on the sides, or maybe lay down and rest for a bit, but Donghyuk dragged me to the front and told me to watch.

Hanbin hyung signaled them to get ready, and pressed play.

The song was Taeyang sunbaenim's Ringa Linga. A common choice. This is just basic.

It was different watching them dance on their own. I so was used to seeing them dance with us, altogether. Each of them was focused on dancing, but it was obvious that Ji Ae had more dancing experience than Soo Gi and Mi Jae. Her moves were sharper, and more sure. I shifted my gaze to Soo Gi, and frowned.

What was she wearing? She trains with seven guys,for heaven's sake! Why the hell would she wear a cropped shirt that reveals too much?

"Yah, if you keep staring like that, she might melt." Donghyuk said, snapping me out of my inner rant.

I ignored what his words, and said, "Donghyuk, you're close with Soo Gi, right?"

I asked cautiously. He might think I like her or something. Nah, I'm just worried for the other members, and for myself. Since we're all good-looking, and I'm the most good-looking out of all of us, she might trap one of us in her evil clutches using her evil charms.

"Yes, why?" He replied, turning to me and raising an eyebrow.

"Please tell her not to wear those type of clothes anymore," I said straightforwardly.

"You tell her yourself." He countered, smirking a bit.

So I did. It came out rather harsh, and it did not end well. 

 


"Junhoe-yah." Yunhyeong hyung called, standing by the door of my room.

"Mmh?" I answered in return, too lazy to stand up.

"Why are you always so mean to Soo Gi? And why on her only? I mean, I see you interact with Ji Ae and Mi Jae, but when it comes to Soo Gi, it's like you're on a period. Treat them all fairly, June. And don't be so mean. That's Hanbin's role. You need to help them improve."

"But hyung, I'm not even being mean. I'm just-" I defended.

"Just be a good dongsaeng and listen to hyung, okay?" He cut me off, and smiled.

 


It was just five in the morning, and I was already sweating buckets.

Talk about fitness. Heh.

I was at the gym in the training center since about an hour and a half ago. I needed the extra work out. Everyone was making jokes about me not having abs, and King Junhoe shall show those peasants what real abs look like.

I was just finished with the weights when I remembered that I left my bag in the practice room. I stood up, got my towel and proceeded to the practice rooms.

As soon as I opened the door, there she was, again, doing stretches.

"Doesn't this feel like deja vu?" She laughed after seeing me.

It was deja vu, but I didn't want to get out-sassed again, so I answered, "No. I was here first." While pointing at my bag on the side.

She must've been annoyed, since she rolled her eyes at my remark and was about to head out.

I didn't know what came over me, but I grabbed her wrist and stopped her from leaving.

"What are you doing?" She looked dumbfounded. Well, I was too.

I immediately let go of her wrist, embarrassed.

What was I thinking?

Why did I even do that?

"Uh, I just wanted to talk." I rubbed my nape awkwardly, giving a slight smile that must've looked like a grimace.

 

"So, what triggered the sudden change of mood, Mr. Oh-So-Popular?" She asked rather playfully as we both sat on the floor.

"Hey, I'm trying to be nice here. Don't push it." I told her with a scowl. 

What? I never do this to other people.

She laughed while putting her hands up in surrender, "Alright, alright. So, what's up?" 

"Well, I just wanted to say I'm sorry for being a jerk all the time. My hyungs did scold me about it a few times, but I never really listened to them." I awkwardly said.

"And what brought on this apology? Maybe free ice cream from Bobby-oppa? Or a new snapback from Hanbin-oppa?" She seriously answered. 

Hey, Soo Gi, I'm not that gullible, you know.

"What? No!" I defended. "I really wanted to apologize. Really."

"I was just messing with you, June." She laughed. "Alright, apology accepted," she smiled at me.

She said my nickname and smiled at me. This was so worth it.

"So, friends?" She suddenly asked, offering her hand out.

I smiled, and shook her hand.

This seems like a good start.

 

"I heard you and Junhoe are on good terms now. Since when did you two become so close? I wouldn't be surprised if you two become a couple soon." 

What.

I was walking down the hallway towards the recording rooms when I heard Donghyuk mention my beautiful name.

So naturally, I stopped to listen.

"Shut up." Was that Soo Gi?

"You know, he's been less y since you two made up," really, Donghyuk? 

"So...? What's that got to do with me?" Yep, definitely Soo Gi.

"It has everything to do with you," he replied, waving his hands exaggeratedly while grinning a lot. 

"Kindly explain." I carefully leaned more forward, eager for Donghyuk's explanation to my 'less iness'

"I think he likes you." I froze.

What the f- man.

And it seems like Soo Gi was, well, surprised?

"Yah, Kim Donghyuk!" She shouted. "What are you saying? Are you pulling a prank on me, huh? Yah, answer me!" 

Oh, surprised is an understatement, then.

Donghyuk was lying on the floor, clutching his stomach with tears falling from his eyes from laughing way too much.

So I decided to barge in, and pretend I didn't hear anything, "What's so funny?" 

"None of your business." Soo Gi answered, turning around and continuing looking for music.

As soon as she turned around, I glared at Donghyuk, who was still recovering from this laughing fit.

"Yah, why did you say that to her?" I whispered snappily.

"I am your hyung, you know! Pay some respect." He replied, lowering his pretending to look offended.

"Don't pull the 'hyung' card on me now, you're just two months older." I rolled my eyes, "Answer my question."

"Let's talk somewhere else," he suggested while glancing at Soo Gi.

 


As soon as we arrived at the building's rooftop, I demanded for answers.

"You're so oblivious of your own feelings, Junhoe," he answered, not even bothering to hide his amusement.

"It's obvious that you like her, but you keep denying it even to yourself." 

I opened my mouth to argue, but no words came out.

"See, you can't even argue with me. I know you, Junhoe. You're not one of those affectionate people, but you show your care for others in little things. You're always sassy, but that's just how you are only to people you like, or people you care about. To others, you're just plain awkward. You care for her, and you like her. I just pointed it out to make you realize how lucky you are, because honestly, she likes you too."

Again, I was speechless.

Stupid feelings. 

Stupid Donghyuk.

 


"Hey Donghyukkie, hey June," I stiffened a bit.

Blame Donghyuk for making this more awkward than it already is. 

"Oh, uh, hi Soo Gi." I awkwardly replied.

Donghyuk, who knew everything, just snickered, which earned him a slap.

"Are you alright, Junhoe?" She asked, looking worried.

Donghyuk whispered under his breath, "Aw, she's worried about you."

He's totally getting it when we get home.

"Just a bit under the weather, but I'm alright. Shall we start the practice?" I reasoned, looking at anything but her.

"No, we shall not start the practice unless you tell me what's going on. We're friends, right?"

I sighed and looked at her.

Oh, Soo Gi. You just don't get it.

"I'll leave, then." Donghyuk whispered, slipping away and sending me a silent "fighting!" before closing the door.

I sighed again before deciding to let all my frustrations out,

"That's what's going on, Soo Gi! We're friends! We're just friends!"

She looked taken aback. This was not what I had in mind, I thought as I groaned inwardly.

"What, am I not good enough to be your friend? Then why did you even apologize in the first place, you jerk!" She yelled back.

"That was not what I meant, dammit! That was not what I meant, Soo Gi." I pleaded.

"Then, by all means, explain what you meant." She replied with her arms crossed, pokerfaced.

 "I can't." I stared at her as if I could send her a message telepathically, explaining all my jumbled thoughts, because when your mind's a mess, words aren't enough to convey every single thought you had.

She sighed, "I understand." 

She turned around, ready to leave, when I let my instincts take over, and I wrapped my arms around her waist and buried my face into the crook of her neck. The scent of her perfume was the only thing I could smell, and her hair tickled my nose.

Man, that felt so nice.

I took the chance to tell her everything.

"I'm mad because I keep feeling like I have butterflies inside every time I see you, and I feel like I'm going to faint. That is so not manly. Everytime I hear you sing, it makes me want to melt. Everytime I see you dance, it just makes me want to kiss you. I hate how you just shrug it off when people compliment you, because you're amazing, and you deserve every compliment you receive. I feel like punching my hyungs everytime you call them oppa, because you never do that to me even though I am older than you. I shouldn't even think of my hyungs that way, but you make me think of them that way. I tease you a lot, because that's how I show my affection for people whom I care for. I hate how easy it is for you to be so close to the other members. I hate how close you and Donghyuk are. I get jealous easily. I'm annoyed that Donghyuk told you that I like you, because I wanted to be the one to tell you how I feel. I'm scared that if I confess, we'd be more awkward than we already are. I'm irritated that you just keep on repeating that we're friends, because honestly, I want us to be a lot more." 

I buried my face into her neck again, embarrassed that I said all that, but at the same time, relieved.

I finally got it all out.

I felt her hands gently prying off my arms, so I let her, and she turned to face me.

We were so close.

"Is that all?" She asked, pokerfaced.

I was frowned. What the hell. Woman, I just confessed to you. At least acknowledge that it's a confession or something.

"Yah, I just confessed to you! Do you know how much it took me to say all that? I barely have any pride left!"

She laughed. 

Now she's teasing me. Ugh.

"Now you know how it feels like when you lash out on me with your mode on." She laughed again. God. "But hey, I think you already know what my feelings for you are," she beamed.

I stared at her, and grinned.

"Oh, I knew you can't resist my charms,"  I smirked, giving myself permission to put my arm around  her shoulders.

"You're so arrogant, June." Soo Gi teased playfully.

"Oh, you know you like it."

 


 

I never really believed in fairy tales. I'm too manly for those. But this, everything that's happening, it looks pretty much like what my sister used to watch all the time, minus the fancy ballgowns and shiny crowns. 

But hey, this must be some sort of sign, that I should start believing, because with Soo Gi, all I want is a happy ending.

 


Ew, when did I become so cheesy.

 


heyoo. It's been a while, but here's what y'all requested, Junhoe's POV :)

Please do comment, suscribe and upvote! :) <3