Chapter 1

Grim Reaper [ HIATUS ]

  Beginning Note: There is cursing but I don't think it deserves an M rating so sorry if that bothers you.


  Junghyuk's black cloak swirled about his feet as he stood on the edge of the building, scythe in hand. It glinted in the light of the moon as he pulled his hood down, peering at the cars and pedestrians below. 

  Suddenly, black shadows swirled behind him, but he ignored it as he kept watching the vehicles drive down the road.

  "Jeez Eric!" a voice suddenly yelled, making him turn around to where the shadows had been. Now a man with red hair stood their, glaring at him as they pushed their glasses up the bridge of his nose. "You always pick the worst spots for a pick-up. I mean, seriously! I was in Ecuador and you call me all the way back to Seoul, and now here I am, on a roof in the cold because you can't wait inside a ing building."

  Suddenly, Junghyuk's serious facade melted away as he laughed out loud and turned to face his friend.

  "Minwoo, it's not that bad." he said, still laughing as the shorter man puffed out his cheeks and stomped his foot. "Besides, I need a new list, I just finished this one."

  Waving his hand, a clipboard appeared in the air next to Junghyuk and he caught it before it fell. The paper was covered in scribbled out names and doodles that he had done while waiting for targets. Many of the small pictures were of his dog Gomdori and other animals.

  Minwoo rolled his eyes as he took the clipboard from his outstretched hand before smiling slightly.

  "Alright ya big baby. Here's a new list, since you can't seem to go a day without work." Snorting, Minwoo snapped his fingers and a different clipboard appeared in the air, with an entirely new list of souls to be reaped. Junghyuk thankfully took the clipboard, holding onto it as Minwoo looked over the one he had given him. Once the other was satisfied, a black portal opened up to the red-head's left and he put the object in.

  "Is it good?" Junghyuk asked as Minwoo looked back at him, the portal closing. He used his puppy eyes on Minwoo who only huffed and crossed his arms playfully, acting like a scolding mother.

  "I just hope the council is able to read your writing. Seriously, they've already given me complaints about your little drawings." Slapping a hand to his forehead, Minwoo just sighed. "I already have enough to deal with them. Just, doodle on the back or something?" 

  He then smiled, albeit a little forced, looking back up at Junghyuk who nodded his head and smiled.

  "I promise I'll draw on the back." he said like a child before putting the new clipboard under his arm and reaching into his cloak.

  Pulling his hand out, he held onto a dark black bag wrapped with a gold tassel. Carefully, he handed it over to Minwoo who snapped his fingers again, this time making a large glass jar appear in the air.

  As the jar floated, suspended in the spot it came from, Minwoo took the bag and held it upside down over the glass. Carefully undoing the shining rope from around it, he quickly pulled it off and held the opening of the bag over the jar.

  Hundreds of glowing souls emptied from the bag into the jar, pale faces squeaking against the glass, some of them meandering around to the bottom of it. 

  No matter how many times Junghyuk had seen the act, he stared transfixed at the souls floating in the jar, tightly packed together like sardines in a can. He never really liked the way they handled the Soul Transfer, but he couldn't exactly complain too much or else he would be demoted, and he definitely did not want to work in the offices on the lower level again.

  He made a face before suddenly being pulled back to reality as Minwoo slammed the top over the jar to seal the souls inside.

  "Here's your bag back." he said with a smile, holding the black bag back out to Junghyuk, who took it and slung it around his waist. 

  Holding onto the jar, Minwoo smiled a little less, pushing his glasses back up again.

  "Hey Junghyuk." he said, using the taller man's real name, only reserved for important talks. 

  "Yeah?" 

  "Don't get into any trouble on the job, okay?" 

  Junghyuk just nodded dumbly, unblinking as Minwoo opened another portal, this time a swirling purple one. The noises of telephones and fax machines came through as he carefully pushed the jar into the portal. 

  "Here's a new batch that needs to be cataloged." he said into the portal before it closed on itself. 

  Turning to face Junghyuk again, Minwoo shook his head with a light smile and stepped forward to clap the other man on the shoulder.

  "I'm sure you'll be fine but just, please don't do anything stupid. I don't think I can help you next time." Minwoo was referring to the countless times Junghyuk had accidentally botched a mission or lost a target to a Ghoul. It was a Reaper's job to safely collect souls, and Junghyuk was just under average at his job. He worried Minwoo more than he would have liked, but it's not like it was his fault. Maybe it was genetics from before he died.

  "I promise not to get into any trouble." he replied, smiling brightly in order to reassure the smaller man.

  Minwoo just rolled his eyes playfully before stepping back.

  "Well then, I'm of to Fiji for a mass collection." he said, a grim smile on his features as Junghyuk frowned. He then waved as a goodbye, shadows swirling behind him again. "I'll see you in the break room sometime this month?"

  Junghyuk forced himself to grin and nodded.

  "Sure. We'll have cake, and you can invite your boyfriend." he said as Minwoo was halfway into the portal. 

  "Dongwan is not my boyfriend!" he yelled, glaring at Junghyuk who only chuckled and waved Minwoo off.

  "Yeah, yeah. Just get on to Fiji!"

  Minwoo laughed out loud before stepping into the shadows completely. The sound of crashing waves and swaying palm trees could be heard through the portal, and Junghyuk had to stop himself from jumping in after the other.

  He brought his hand down to his side as the shadows dispersed, leaving him alone on the roof, moonlight shining down on him. 

  Sighing to himself, he turned back around to look at the busy street. 

  Pulling his hood back over his head, he held his scythe in hand, stuffing the clipboard into the folds of his cloak. He pushed his feet off the ground and started floating, pitch black fabric swirling around his feet as he glided to the next rooftop, and then to the next, passing many buildings until he reached one in particular.

  Junghyuk stopped above an apartment building before slowly descending, landing onto the concrete softly. 

  Letting go of his scythe, it floated in front of him before growing smaller. As it did, his cloak started disappearing. It's hood dragged itself off his head, the rest of the fabric crawling towards his back. Soon it was nothing but a pinpoint on his sweatshirt before vanishing along with his scythe.

  He shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans, thick red sweatshirt doing nothing to keep him warm in the cold night air.

  Jogging over to the rooftop's stairwell door, he opened it and walked in, shutting the door behind him. It was much warmer inside the apartment building and he shook in relief, the frost already leaving his system. 

  Then he started walking down the stairs, passing chipped painted numbers by doors, until he reached the eighth floor.

  Looking through the small criss-crossed window, he opened the door and it creaked loudly. Cringing at the noise he walked into the hallway, the door slamming shut behind him. He always forgot to close it slowly so it wouldn't do that.

  With his hands still in his pockets, he walked down the hallway until he reached apartment 8-11.

  Typing his passcode into the lock system, it beeped and unlocked the door, letting him in. 

  He opened the door and was greeted with the sound of the TV still on and tiny excited footsteps running towards him. As the door shut behind him he knelt down and smiled at Gomdori who wagged his tail and yipped happily.

  Running his hand over the tiny dog's head, Junghyuk smiled before patting the dog and standing himself up. 

  He stretched before walking into the living room and turning off the TV (which he had forgotten to turn off for a few days now), Gomdori following him as his master went around the house. The Reaper then went into the small hallway before going into the bathroom.

  Gomdori, seeing his master pull his toothbrush out of the cabinet, walked over to his doggy bed and circled twice before laying down and closing his eyes, knowing that Junghyuk was going to sleep soon.

  After brushing his teeth and putting on a pair of sweatpants, keeping his sweatshirt on, Junghyuk sat on his bed and waved his hand, making the clipboard appear again.

  Biting the inside of his cheek, he looked over the list of names.

  "Eenie, meenie, miney, mo." he said out loud, finger landing on one of the names on his list. He opened his eyes, which had been closed upon choosing to see which name he had landed on. Pulling his finger away he read it to himself. "Jung Pilkyo."

  Nodding his head, his lips twitched slightly before he threw the clipboard in the air and waved his hand again, making it disappear.

  He climbed onto the bed completely and burrowed under the blankets before reaching to his bedside table and clicking off the light. Snuggling into his pillow, moonlight filtered in between the shades over his bedroom window and he sighed contentedly.

  "Jung Pilkyo." he said again, before closing his eyes.

  Tomorrow he would find this Jung Pilkyo, and eventually, reap his soul.


  So, first chapter is done. (⊙﹏⊙✿) I hope it was good! OTL Also, I've compiled this little list of explanations (about how Reapers work in my story), for things in this first chapter (if new terms pop up in later chapters, which they will, there will be helpful lists in those chapters) you may not understand. ⊂•⊃_⊂•⊃ I hope it's helpful and I'm not just being stupid. (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

*:・゚✧ Reaper Terms *:・゚✧
- Pick-Up: Basically, after a Reaper finishes collecting his/her amount of souls, they call their Collector to "package" the souls and deliver them to the Lower Level Office.
- Collector: A Collector is sometimes like the bird of the office, always flying off to different locations and taking care of lots of work. If a Collector can handle it, they can be both a Collector and a Reaper (if they were a Reaper before they became a Collector or not, that doesn't matter). Minwoo (Eric's best friend and partner) works as both a Collector and Reaper.
- Lower Level Office: Just like an office, but with a different purpose. People who work here wear business attire and catalog collected souls before storing them into the database, and then delivering the souls to those who take them to Heaven or Hell.
- Mass Collection: When a natural disaster happens or someone goes on a killing spree, many souls have to be collected. Powerful Reapers will go to the site of death and reap all of the killed souls.
- Scythe: Surprisingly not a weapon, scythes are a Reaper's tool for collecting souls. They not only make it easier for a Reaper to channel their powers (and they can only float while holding onto said instrument), but they also have a special power that allows them to attach onto souls and tear them away from the body.
- Reaper's List: A list every Reaper receives, filled with the names of people whose souls must be reaped. After completing a list, a Reaper will return it, and in turn get another one and repeat the cycle. The reason lists must be returned, is so the council can look over them, as sometimes Reaper's may miss souls or are not able to reap certain ones because of Ghouls. 
- The Reaper Council: Of the highest order in the world of Reaper's, this council serves the purpose of checking every single part of the reaping system. Not many actually leave the Reaper's pocket dimension. The head of the council is the Grim Reaper (whose name is unknown at this time).
- Ghouls: Evil spirits who were left to rot before Reaper's came into existence, and even after, for some souls are so bad they are not to be reaped. They make a Reaper's job harder by eating the spirits of souls to be collected in order to gain power and spite Reaper's. Reaper's have not yet found a way to kill Ghouls. If a Ghoul is powerful enough, they can even possess bodies and wreak havoc (in order to stop these powerful Ghouls, there is the Demon World Order that has been established in Hell, but we won't talk about that right now).
- Soul Transfer: After a Reaper finishes reaping a certain amount of souls or completes a Reaper's list, they call their Collector and do a Soul Transfer, where they hand their bag of souls over to their partner so that they can put them in a sealed container, and transport them to the Lower Level Office through a portal.

  Okay so that wasn't exactly small. ┐(‘~`;)┌ I hope it was helpful though! ^^; Ahaha...yeah. Now I've talked for too long. Anyways, now this story has a background. ^-^ I don't know about a poster yet but we'll see. o u o; I haven't exactly ordered from a poster shop before. Any suggestions on good ones? {(>_<)} Sorry I've talked so much. I'll see you all with the next update then! (~ ̄▽ ̄)~ Until we see each other~ *huggles* 

  (P.S. - I'll be using Eric's real name most of the time in this story, as well as Hyesung's, so sorry if that bothers you as well. T^T)