Bubble (1/1)

Bubble

1995 (Aged 3):

Chanyeol brought up his hand to cover his mouth, trying not to laugh too loud at the sight of a small boy on his tiptoes, reaching up to the tray of milk their teacher had left on a table. He was just short of being able to grasp one of the bottles, and he had a determined, pouty look on his face as he stretched his arms higher and higher. This only made Chanyeol laugh more, accidentally letting out a rather loud snort as he tried to hold himself together. At the sound of the snort, the small boy jumped slightly and looked frantically from side to side to try and figure out where the noise came from. His eyes locked onto the taller boy, laughs spilling out from behind the hand covering his mouth, and his frown deepened. "Stop laughing at me!" His voice came out quieter and shakier than he had intended, but the boy stood his ground as he marched over to Chanyeol and glared up at him.

"Sorry!" Chanyeol removed his hand and gave the boy a huge grin. "I thought you were cute... I'll get it!" He walked over to the table and reached up, grabbing the bottle of strawberry milk he'd noticed the other reaching for. "This one?" He held it out to the boy in a sort of peace offering. The shorter eyed him and the bottle carefully, making a judgment on whether or not he could trust him. This went on for about 30 seconds until the boy took the bottle and gave Chanyeol a small smile of his own.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome! I'm Chanyeol!" His smile was so big it looked like it was going to split his face in two.

"I'm Baekhyun."

"That's a cute name, you're just so cute! Let's be best friends from now on, okay Baekhyunnie?" The shorter boy didn't really get much of a say in the matter as Chanyeol dragged him over to the building blocks he'd been playing with, but there was a huge smile present on his face anyway. He'd made his first friend, and Chanyeol had said they were best friends, and he got his strawberry milk. His first day at nursery wasn't as bad as he'd thought it'd be!

2000 (Aged 8):

"Baekhyun-ah! Your mother's here!" Chanyeol's mother poked her head into her son's room to find the two boys sprawled out over Chanyeol's bed, game controllers in their hands as they focused their gazes on the TV screen in front of them.

"Yeah, just a minute, mum." Chanyeol said over the noise of the game. "We've just got this bit to go and we'll be done with the level." His eyes never left the screen as he spoke, engrossed in the game much like the older boy lying to his right. Baekhyun had barely registeredarrow-10x10.png her presence in the doorway.

"Alright then..." She rolled her eyes affectionately at the two best friends and walked back downstairs to where Baekhyun's mother was waiting. "Apparently they're just finishing one last bit for the level."

"Of course they are." The other woman sat down on the sofa and accepted the offer of coffee, knowing it would be at least twenty minutes before her son made an appearance.

Upstairs, the boys grinned and high-fived as they completed the level they'd been working all afternoon on. "We did it!" Baekhyun grinned, but his smile faltered at the sad look on his best friend's face. "What's wrong, Yeol? Aren't you happy we won?"

"Yeah... But that means you have to go home now." The taller pouted, not willing to say goodbye just yet. Baekhyun bit his lip, not sure on how to cheer the other up because he was right, he did have to leave. Finding no words, he opted to instead tackle his best friend in a tight hug, making both of them topple backwards so Baekhyun was now lying on top of Chanyeol. The latter was startled by the sudden attack, but soon realized what was happening and happily hugged the other back just as tight.

"But I'll see you tomorrow!" Baekhyun exclaimed into Chanyeol's t-shirt.

"Yeah... And we'll have more hugs, right?"

"Uh-huh!" The older nodded vigorously.

"Okay then, let's go! Because the sooner you go home then the sooner we can go to bed and the sooner tomorrow comes and I can see you again!" Chanyeol nearly threw the other off of the bed in his haste to get up and they both rushed downstairs.

"Are you boys finally done?" Baekhyun's mother laughed.

"Yup!" Baekhyun grinned. "And we have to go right now because Yeollie said that the sooner I go home then the sooner we can go to bed and the sooner tomorrow comes and I can see him again!"

"Is that so?" Chanyeol's mother asked amusedly as both boys nodded.

"Well then, I guess we'd better get going! Baek, say goodbye." At his mother's words, Baekhyun pulled the taller into another huge hug.

"Bye Baekhyunnie."

"Bye Chanyeollie." As a last second thought, the small boy leaned up and pressed and innocent peck of his lips onto his best friend's cheek, leaving said best friend smiling one of his face-splitting grins with a dust of pink on the tops of his ears.

2003 (Aged 11):

"Boarding school?" Chanyeol frowned, sitting opposite his best friend in the tree-house that had been made for them in Baekhyun's huge garden. The older's family was quite well off and, while they were happy to let him attend public school when he was younger (mostly at the protest of said boy himself), and they weren't snobbish in the slightest, he was now of age to attend one of the most prestigious boarding schools in the country, all the way in the capital, Seoul. Baekhyun nodded, looking down at his lap and playing with the frayed hem of his jumper.

"I tried to get them to let me go to the same school as you, but they wouldn't listen. It's going to be 'beneficial to me in the long run', apparently." He sighed, not daring to look up into the other's sad eyes. "It's not fair... I have to leave in a week."

"A WEEK?!" The younger shouted, causing Baekhyun to look up in shock at the now desperate look on his face.

"Th-they told me today, everything's already packed. They wanted to give me enough time to get used to it, but not enough to be moping all summer."

"That's not fair! I'm gonna miss you so much! Who's going to play video games with me, and stay up all night on Xbox Live, and laugh at our jokes, and, and-" Chanyeol stopped ranting upon seeing tears swimming in the older's eyes. He hated it when Baekhyun cried, and he'd always stick up for him in school if people made fun of him for it, and would always be there to make him stop by telling him some stupid joke. He then realized that that would no longer be the case if his best friend was halfway across the country. But he had no idea what to say to make it better, there was nothing he could say to make it better, so he did the only thing he could. He shuffled over to Baekhyun and wrapped his arms around him in a tight hug, thoughts racing through his mind. There was no way his parents could afford this school, he knew that much, and apparently no way Baekhyun's parents would let him carry on in public school. He'd heard his older sister talking about scholarships, and when he asked she'd said it was where if you were really smart or good at sports then they let you go to a private school for free. Chanyeol was way better at sports than he was at other school stuff, so that would be the way. He was sure of it, he had to do it! For Baekhyun.

His mother and the school both contacted Baekhyun's school a week after term started. It had only been seven days (most of which had been spent on Xbox Live to Baekhyun anyway) and he already felt like a part of him was missing. There was nobody to partner up with or sit next to in lesson, or eat lunch with, or talk to about the latest game updatesarrow-10x10.png, or laugh with at stupid jokes. Of course, there were people willing to do it, but they weren't Baekhyun, and Chanyeol was left in this new school all alone. He missed his best friend's weird fashion sense and his too-loud giggle and his hugs. But, after a lot of communication back and forth, and after talking to Baekhyun's parents about it seeing as both families were concerned for their sons' happiness (the boys hadn't been separated in eight years, let's not forget) they came to an arrangement. At the end of the school year, Chanyeol would take various tests, both academic and sport, and he could qualify for a halved tuition. This was a much more manageable number, and Baekhyun's parents had said they would pay half of it as well, seeing as Baekhyun's happiness resided on this too and after eight years Chanyeol was like a second son to them as their son was to his parents. The younger's mother said she'd never seen Chanyeol smile so much in his eleven years of living (this changed ten months later when they received the letter saying he'd qualified).

2006 (Aged 14):

"What are they doing?" Jongin frowned as he eyed the two upperclassmen from across the field. Baekhyun shrugged.

"I dunno, it looks like some sort of kissing but kinda like they're trying to eat each other. They seem to be enjoying it, though." He snorted.

"They're making out, es." Jongdae rolled his eyes at them from Baekhyun's other side.

"What do you mean?" The youngest craned his neck to look at him.

"It's like kissing but you add tongues and stuff."

"And how do you know about all this? It's certainly not from experience." Luhan scoffed.

"Yah~! Because, that's Jonghyun hyung! You know how he gives me extra vocal help sometimes? Well, he's really cool and he tells me about all this older stuff like soulmates."

"So, that's his soulmate with him?" Jongin asked innocently, gesturing to the two males, who had stopped trying to eat each other and were now grinning and sharing whispered sweet nothings.

"Yeah, Kibum. He's in the year above you though, so he hasn't got Jonghyun's name on his wrist yet." Luhan pitched in. Jongdae looked down at his own wrist.

"I can't wait to get my soulmate's name."

Chanyeol looked on at the four boys. Baekhyun hadn't changed a bit since the day they met, still whiny and annoying, but he made up for it with affection and loyalty. Luhan still looked young enough to be his age despite being two years older, and and he was still as pretty (though he'd learned quickly to never say it in front of him). Jongin was slightly less innocent than when they met two years ago, but he mostly blamed that on Jongdae. He'd once hated Kim Jongdae, the boy who was suddenly all buddy-buddy with his best friend when he arrived at the school a year later than Baekhyun. But after a few forced hang-outs and promises that he could room with Baekhyun the next year, Chanyeol had come to see the boy as a friend of his own. He was also glad that he wasn't the maknae anymore, what with Jongin being a whole year younger than them. The tallest stayed silent as the others launched into discussion of soulmates and how they couldn't wait to get theirs. He was perfectly happy where he was. He had his friends, he had his Xbox, he had Baekhyun, what else did he need? Certainly not someone to come along and ruin all of that just because it was fate or whatever. 'You'll change your mind when you meet them.' That's what his mother had told him, backed up by a stiff nod from his father and tales of bliss from his sister. But he didn't want to. "Yeol, you okay?" Chanyeol turned to see Baekhyun looking at him worriedly and nodded.

"I'm fine, just thinking."

"About what?" He moved around Jongdae, who was still in deep conversation with Jongin, to sit next to the taller and laid back so he was looking up at the sky.

"I don't want a soulmate, I'm happy as I am. I'll have to be all sappy and romantic and it's gonna dig into game nights. People keep telling me that I'll change my mind when I meet them but I don't think I will. I have Luhan, Jongdae, Jongin and you. I don't need anyone else." The younger huffed and threw himself down next to his best friend. Baekhyun reached across and took his hand, lacing their fingers together.

"Can I tell you a secret?"

"Anything, Baek."

"I don't want a soulmate either."

2007 (Aged 15):

"I don't think I can do this."

"What the hell are you talking about?! Of course you can!" Chanyeol frowned at his best friend's sudden lack of confidence. It was very unlike him, he was usually excited before performing for anybody.

"There's too many people." Baekhyun was now borderline hyperventilating and the younger was beginning to panic.

"Baek, breathe." He put his arm around the shorter's shoulders and led him to sit on one of the amps backstage, kneeling down in front of him so they were eye level. "Look at me." The older's eyes were focused on the frayed rips in his jeans. "Please, look at me." Chanyeol wasn't sure that a hug would work at this point, but he was getting desperate. "Baekhyun, for 's sake!" Said boy snapped his head up in surprise. Chanyeol had never called him by his full name, even when he first introduced himself twelve years ago it was 'Baekhyunnie'. He saw the worry in his best friend's eyes and sighed. "What's wrong? We've played to more people than this before, you remember the summer festival last year, right?" Baekhyun bit his lip. They both knew his worries had nothing to do with the amount of people they played to, he thrived on an audience.

"My parents are here." He murmured so low that Chanyeol almost didn't hear him. "And they're always saying how I'm going to go on to be this huge doctor or lawyer but I don't want any of that, I-" He stopped himself, knowing he'd get worked up again. He let himself be pulled into his best friend's warmth, not caring that he was practically sitting in the taller's lap (it's not like it's never happened before).

"You just want to sing and perform, and they're not going to appreciate that no matter how good you are, which is bloody amazing by the way, because it's not helping your studies." Chanyeol finished his thoughts, holding him tightly and rubbing his back in comfort. Baekhyun nodded into his shoulder.

"They just consider it a hobby, and they laugh it off whenever I so much as mention it."

"Have they even heard your voice?"

"No." Chanyeol pulled back to look at the older's face, an incredulous expression on his own.

"Then they can't tell you not to do it! Baek, your voice is literally angelic, okay? Like, if this were some fairy tale, you'd have birds and other woodland creatures following you around and singing along."

"Are you comparing me to Snow White?"

"You're pale enough." Chanyeol snickered at his best friend's raised eyebrow. "But my point is, you're a great singer and performer, just give them a chance to see it. And if they still say you can't, go ahead and do it anyway! Your life is your life, not theirs." Baekhyun nodded. "And I'm going to be right there with you, okay? I always will, whether you do turn out to be a huge doctor or lawyer, or you end up as a stripper or something. I'm always gonna be here."

"I know, thank you, Yeol." He pecked the younger's cheek quickly. "We're always going to be there for each other."

"Damn straight we are! Now come on, we've got a song to perform."

***

Chanyeol stared up at the ceiling, lost in thought. It was less than six months until January 1st, the day he'd get his soulmate. What if they were horrible? Or had really bad habits? Or didn't like games? He supposed he could just not look for them, but he couldn't avoid it forever. And he would be so inexperienced. What if they were older than he was, and had been with others before? Jongdae had talked about kissing people, just to get it over with. He wasn't ready for this. He registered the sound of the door opening, but he didn't acknowledge Baekhyun's presence until the older was sitting on his thighs and giving him a worried look. "Soulmate stuff again?" He just shrugged.

"You know what Jongdae said earlier, about the whole experience thing?"

"What, that it wouldn't hurt to kiss a few people to get it over with?"

"Yeah..." He bit his lip, wanting so desperately to ask. But he didn't know how his best friend would react, and he didn't think he could handle it if he lost him. He closed his eyes when Baekhyun started shifting and got off of him, not wanting to see the expression of disgust on his face at what he was lightly insinuating. Surely they knew each other well enough after twelve years for him to understand what he was getting at? What he was not expecting, however, was to feel a light pressure on his lips. His eyes flew open in shock as Baekhyun let their lips touch for a few seconds before pulling away. Sure, he'd been the one to initiate their cheek kisses most of the time, and there was generally a lot skinship when they were together, but he'd never expected Baekhyun to actually kiss him.

"Sorry, that was out of order, I got carri-"

"Do it again." Chanyeol sat up and looked at the boy standing over him.

"W-what?!"

"Please. Kiss me again." He stood up and took Baekhyun's face in his hands, leaning in slowly to give him time to pull away if he wanted. Pleased that he didn't, he pressed their lips together again. After a few seconds, Baekhyun pulled away again, but this time he was giggling. "What?" The taller frowned, confused.

"You have to actually move your lips, Yeol. C'mere." He sat them both down on Chanyeol's bed and placed his arms around the younger's neck, leaning in and kissing him for the third time. They soon found that moving their lips while kissing felt a lot better, and, thinking back to the conversation they'd had about Jonghyun and Kibum last year, Baekhyun hesitantly brought his tongue out to trace along the taller's bottom lip. He felt Chanyeol still, and was about to pull away again, when the younger's arms were suddenly wrapped tightly around his waist and tugging him closer as he let Baekhyun's tongue into his mouth and brought his out to join it. They had no idea how long they sat there, slowly making out, but it was well after dark when they stopped, lips red (like their blushing cheeks) and slick.

"That was..."

"Yeah."

"Can we do that more often?"

"Yes please."

23:55, 31st December 2007 (aged 16):

Five minutes. Chanyeol was practically trembling from how nervous he was. He wasn't ready. He was perfectly happy staying in the bubble he and Baekhyun had trapped themselves in these past few months. Late night make-out sessions had become the norm now, and Chanyeol had never felt better or more alive than he had last night with Baekhyun lying on top of him as they kissed passionately and grinded their bodies together. Sure, it had been a little cringe-worthy when they'd both soiled their underwear, but it was something they shared (and giggled about) together. It was the first (and last, he had to remind himself) time they'd gone further than kissing, sort of like a goodbye to whatever this was, or had been. They'd wanted to go out with a bang before they were signed off to their respective soulmates, and go out with a bang they had. But he didn't want it to end. Surely the feeling he had when Baekhyun gave him that smile, or cupped his jaw to look into his eyes before kissing him, or blushingly offered that they try something more on their last night together wasn't the platonic feeling he should feel around his best friend. The elder was so much more to him than that, and he wasn't ready to give it up yet, he wasn't sure if he ever would be. "Hey." Said best friend squeezed his hand. "You okay?" No. He wanted to say. I don't want this, I just want you.

"Yeah." He replied instead. "Just nervous." It wasn't a complete lie, just not the whole truth.

"Me too. This isn't going to change us, right? You're still going to be my best friend?" Chanyeol looked at the uncertainty in his best friend's eyes and nodded. He wasn't alone in this. He knew that Baekhyun wasn't ready either. They'd had many conversations about it whilst lying in either of their beds, limbs entangled as they spoke softly.

"Always, Baek. Always." They'd agreed that, after last night, there would be no on-the-mouth kisses. It'd killed him all day to not be able to peck the shorter's lips whenever they had a spare moment like he used to. So, he settled for hugging him tightly and pressing a chaste but firm kiss to his forehead. They pulled away when the countdown to New Year's started, tears blurring both their visions as they kept their fingers and gazes interlocked, staying together until the very end. Their eyes said more to each other than words ever could.

"10!" I'm not ready.

"9!" Neither am I, but we have to be.

"8!" Doesn't mean it hurts any less.

"7!" Don't make this harder. If I could change it, I would.

"6!" I know, so would I, I'd do anything for you.

"5!" And I you. Be strong for me.

"4!" How can I when-

"3!" No! You have to, Yeol, promise me.

"2!" I promise... I love you.

"1!" I love you too.

Hisses of pain from the burn were heard around the room. Most of the party were sixteen, after all. Chanyeol swore it hurt more. Maybe because his wrist was pressed against Baekhyun's burning one when it happened, but deep down he knew it was more than that. He blinked back the tears in his eyes and hesitantly unlaced their fingers. "After three?" He whispered, and the elder nodded.

"Three."

"Two."

"One." They brought their wrists up to their faces after their own mini countdown, and the sinking feeling the taller expected to see when he read his so-called soulmate's name didn't come as his breath hitched and his heart stopped.

Byun Baekhyun.

Never, never had they even considered this as an option. He moved his wrist down slightly to look at Baekhyun, the grin he loved so much etched onto his best friend's, his soulmate's, face making his own lips stretch into a huge smile. He turned his own wrist around so Chanyeol could see his name imprinted into the skin, and the younger did the same. Neither of them said a word as they crashed their lips together, his arms fitting around the elder's waist as perfectly as the elder's fit around his neck, like a two-piece puzzle. And suddenly there was no more confusion, no more looking for the other part because it had been in front of them all along. "I love you." Chanyeol murmured against Baekhyun's lips. "So much."

"I love you too, soulmate." They didn't need to leave their bubble, it just had to change shape a little.