Final

By My Side

A/N: Roughly written. I will edit after drinking coffee. ^^


He wakes up just a few minutes early, before his alarm clock rings. Hyukjae stirs and stares at the ceiling for awhile and sighs at how his life had became all too miserable because Donghae had decided to leave him for another man and went abroad to pursue the career they both once planned out.

It still bring him to wails and tears, just thinking how everything turned nasty between the two of them after spending life together for five years.

He is, after all just an anchovy faced who happened to be good at dancing, well, great at dancing and that’s just it.

He hears his alarm clock rings and he shuts it off in within seconds. He sits up and tries to think of all good things in his life, as he prepare for the next phase of his seemingly normal, regular life.

But he heard a loud banging of pots from the kitchen.

He tenses.

He doesn’t remember inviting someone over for that matter, or he sure is all familiar that he has no pet to make such ruckus.

Hyukjae shifts and he walks slowly towards the door. He opens it slowly after hearing another noise and closes his eyes from the sounds of plates crashing on the floor. He searches for anything near him, a stick, a bat, even an umbrella but only found a teddy bear sprawled on the floor. He sighs and takes it as shield still.

He walks down the hall and leans against the wall, making sure his body is well-hidden behind his post. The sounds had stopped already and Hyukjae cursed at how his kitchen would probably look right now.

Hyukjae clutches on the teddy bear tightly and turns to face his kitchen, pushing the teddy bear forward and closing his eyes as he shouts, “Who’s there? W-what a-are you d-doing in my kitchen?”

There was no answer and Hyukjae wants to run away, but this is his house. He shouldn’t be the one running away but the intruder instead. He puts the teddy bear down and sees a man, and isn’t he just the beautiful man he had ever laid his eyes on. Hyukjae gulps.

He’s swishing pots, cauldrons and places back to their places; the utensils and glass, neatly placed on their racks. It’s like Mary Poppins doing an orchestra of dishes doing themselves, or the Mickey Mouse wizard making the bucket and brooms do their jobs.

Hyukjae blinks at the sight of everything going back to normal. He sees the undone dishes on the sink washing and cleaning themselves, Hyukjae has to hide the blush from embarrassment.

When the man stopped, he turns around and flashes the darnest, most beautiful and charming smile Hyukjae had ever seen.

“I’m Sungmin. Nice to meet you.”

By the time, everything had finally sinked in, Sungmin offered to make them breakfast and Hyukjae found himself agreeing.

They ate breakfast in silence. Well, Hyukjae did most of the eating while Sungmin just starred at him the entire time.

“So who are you again?” Hyukjae asks for the tenth time and he can clearly see the somewhat annoyance in Sungmin’s eyes. He finds is weird however, when Sungmin doesn’t show his annoyance physically or throws a fit. And Hyukjae thinks that he rather see a tolerating Sungmin than see his wrath. With his powers, Hyukjae can just think of all the possibilities he can do.

“I’m Sungmin.”

“Are you my angel? Am I dead?”

“You’ve just eaten breakfast. How can you be dead?”

Hyukjae nods, pinches his arm and feels his face. “But what are you exactly? How can you be an angel if you don’t have wings?”

“I told you, I’m not that kind of an angel.” Sungmin croaks, feeling a little exhausted talking to Hyukjae after using some of his powers in the kitchen awhile ago.

“Then what are you exactly?” Hyukjae asks again. He bites into his toast and eyes the man across him, pushing the bowl of sliced strawberries near him.

“I’m like your angel, but in different terms. I’m not here to guard you but to make you happy.” Sungmin explains and Hyukjae nods, digesting both the food and everything Sungmin had said.

Hyukjae thinks that he likes the idea of having Sungmin, as long as he doesn’t have to make something in return. That’s how it should work, right?

“So what do we do?” Hyukjae asks and Sungmin’s eyes gleam in pure delight. Hyukjae seconds the notion that he truly is the most beautiful man he’d ever laid eyes on after seeing his eyes glow and turn bright.

The first time Sungmin had started doing his role was when Hyukjae comes home one night, drunk.

Sungmin uses his magic almost everyday, in preparing meals for Hyukjae or attending to Hyukjae’s other needs. He’s turned into a nanny-with-powers and he doesn’t seem to mind.

Hyukjae flops on the couch, resting his head on Sungmin’s laps, who’s staring at him with worried eyes.

He starts to cry and Sungmin watches the gummy smile disappearing with tears streaking his face.

Sungmin places a hand on Hyukjae’s closed eyes and in a few minutes, he sees what had happened.

Hyukjae accidentally meets Donghae with his new boyfriend. They didn’t talk or exchange greetings but Donghae cups his boyfriend’s chin and places a quick kiss right in front of Hyukjae. He somehow feels what Hyukjae’s reaction had been and he frowns staring at the figure before him.

He continues to sob and Sungmin bends down slowly to press a slow kiss on Hyukjae’s forehead. The human freezes and tries to jerk away when he feels sleep slowly crawling in. He is about to ask Sungmin what just had happened when Hyukjae finally closes his eyes and stops crying.

“Don’t worry, everything will be fine.”

The second time Sungmin had to use his powers to Hyukjae was on a rainy night. It had been an agreement between the two of them that Sungmin will be sleeping on the couch because it simply is weird having someone you barely know to sleep beside you.

But Sungmin couldn’t sleep and he hears a sob from the bedroom despite the loud noise from the rain. He gets up and walks towards the room to find Hyukjae curled under the blanket.

“Hyukjae?”

“Sungmin?” Hyukjae croaks as he feels the bed creak and another weight occupies the empty space. Sungmin closes the window with a snap and points the lampshade to turn off.

He sits beside Hyukjae and the latter pulls the blanket to face Sungmin. Hyukjae’s eyes are swollen and puffed from crying.

“Hey,” Sungmin says and Hyukjae latches his arms around Sungmin’s waist. Sungmin moves near him and hugs him tightly. Again, he places a palm on Hyukjae and sees what’s been running in his mind.

He saw a memory of Donghae leaving him on a rainy night. He felt what Hyukjae’s emotions had been and he gripped on his chest feeling all torn and lost and devastated altogether. He eyes the man lying beside him and smiles brokenly. Sungmin adjusts himself and leans down, yet again, to press a kiss on Hyukjae’s forehead.

Hyukjae looks up and stares at Sungmin before dozing off to sleep.

“Just wait a little more. I will wash all the pain away.”

“It’s like you can read my mind,” Hyukjae says one morning. Sungmin had prepared his usual breakfast and Hyukjae sits beside him.

“Because I’m your angel?”

“But you said, you’re a different angel.” Hyukjae defends and Sungmin nods before pressing a berry inside Hyukjae’s mouth. They had grown so close and comfortable together that everything seemed normal.

Sungmin would wait home or wander around while Hyukjae goes to work. They would talk endlessly, chat like girls and exchange stories about habits, angels, and what is Sungmin’s real purpose was.

“And I said, finish your breakfast first before anything else.” Sungmin swats and Hyukjae flashes his gummy smile before leaning closer to Sungmin and presses a kiss on the angel’s cheek.

Sungmin blinks and stares at Hyukjae who only leans again and places a kiss on his other cheek.

“W-what was that for?”

“Why, it’s not like I don’t know you’re kissing me too!” Hyukjae retorts and Sungmin blinks again.

“But that’s different!” He fights the blush to redden even more but Hyukjae only leans closer to his face, teasing him.

“How’s it different? Oh, yes, it’s different because you always kiss me when I’m defenseless.” Hyukjae chirps and Sungmin reaches for his nose to pinch is when the doorbell rings and Hyukjae dashes off to get it.

“You,” Hyukjae says and Sungmin is silent when he followed and saw Donghae standing by the door frame.

“Hey, Hyukkie,” Donghae says, putting up a smile and Hyukjae shivers automatically.

“Why are you here?”

“Hyukkie, let me explain.” Donghae says, reaching out for Hyukjae’s hands. Hyukjae, however flinches away and steps back.

Even before Donghae can make another move, Sungmin steps between them and closes the door with his power. He looks at Hyukjae, who’s looking at the tiled floor, tears staining his cheeks.

Sungmin wasn’t expecting Hyukjae’s problem would be this heartbreaking. All he knew was they were assigned to deploy to people who had been feeling down lately and needed a lot of cheering up. He was tasked to a person named Lee Hyukjae. The day he got down, he accidentally tripped on a monkey stuffed toy scattered on the floor and ending ruining the kitchen.

The rule is to make their human happy but never to fall in love with them. Sungmin tried his best because he’d rather disappear in Hyukjae’s life than to hurt him.

He would kiss all the bad memories away and every time, Hyukjae would only remember Sungmin kissing him to make him better. Like a kid asking for a kiss after getting bruised.

But the way he’s crying, eyes puffy and sobs broken, Sungmin has got to do something.

“Hey,” Sungmin says and cups Hyukjae’s face.

Hyukjae doesn’t answer but cries still. It seems that he hasn’t totally forgotten how Donghae had hurt him. Sungmin feels sorry for not being able to do much and sighs as he leans closer, pressing his forehead against Hyukjae’s forehead.

“Hyukjae,” Sungmin says, “I’m sorry for not making you totally happy.”

He eyes the man and presses his lips against Hyukjae’s chapped ones.

“I hope this will ease everything. I love you.”

Hyukjae’s eyes widen and he gazes at Sungmin with wide eyes. Sungmin smiles and a tear rolls down his cheek before everything turned white and Hyukjae falls on the floor with a loud thud.

Donghae hears the sound and opens the door to see Hyukjae lying lifeless.

He wakes up just a few minutes early, before his alarm clock rings. Hyukjae stirs and stares at the ceiling for awhile and sighs at how his life seem so incomplete yet he can’t quite figure out why.

He had one of those dreams, about a man, a beautiful man putting up with him, staying with him on lonely hours. He wonders who could that be but then shakes it off when his alarm clock rings and he gets up for a quick shower.

Hyukjae leaves the house and walks across the street when a man bumps into him. He shakes his head and sees the man sitting on the ground on his buttocks.

“Are you okay?” Hyukjae shrieks and the man nods before fixing his cap and looking up.

Hyukjae freezes when he sees the sam man that has been lurking in his dreams for a month now. He can’t be mistaken it has got to be the same man.

“You,” Hyukjae speaks and the man smiles at him before reaching out a hand towards Hyukjae.

“Have I seen you before?” Hyukjae asks and the man just stares at him.

“I’m Sungmin,” Sungmin replies and Hyukjae’s brows furrow for a bit and a gummy smile wipes his face.

“Sungmin!” Hyukjae says and hugs Sungmin instinctively.

“I’m so happy!” Hyukjae says and Sungmin looks at him while pressing a slice of banana inside Hyukjae’s lips.

“Why?”

“Because you’re here.”

Sungmin smiles and leans closer to press a chaste kiss on Hyukjae’s lips. “I hope you don’t mind me staying.”

Hyukjae only kisses him back as reply.