Heaven Later.

Heaven Later.

The wind was blowing hard that day cold, shivering wind that only comes every Winter season. Students around pulled their coats closer and their necks were all wrapped with thick scarfs. 

 

“It’s so cold.”, “I think it would be very hard for us to go out this Winter.” Those were the words that came out from everyone's mouths. 

 

Behind them, a girl student was shivering and hugging herself while walking along with the other students in the campus. 

 

“How can I forget my scarf at this tim of the year?!” She grumply said under her breath. 

 

She pulled her coat closer to her body in order to prevent any heat remaining from escaping. She was then struggling to walk because of thr cold seeping in her body. 

 

“Hana-ah!” A voice coming from nowhere began to callout her name. 

 

Hana turned her head around and she smiled when she saw her classmate running towards her. 

 

“Oh, Yixing. Good morning!” Hana greeted with a big smile. 

 

Yixing smiled and took out a scarf from his bag. 

 

“I knew it, I had a feeling you'd be forgetting your scarf. You’re such a forgetful person.” Yixing puts the scarf around Hana and he aided her in wrapping it around her pale neck. 

 

“You’re the best!” Hana patted Yixing’s shoulder, feeling grateful for her friend's concern. They walked inside the school together while chatting about different things may it be about the new music their favorite band released or the latest manga release online. 

 

Hana and Yixing met last year. Yixing was a transfer student, hailing from China, while Hana was a simple student from Busan. They met one day while Yixing was frantically looking for his classrooms, and luckily, she was there to help him around. Both of them got along very well after that.  They found out that they were in the same class. There was one time when it was PE class where they had to run the field for 12 rounds. Hana broke into cold sweat but she hid it because she did not want people to find out that she's weak. Yixing ran first because it was boys' turn then when it was girls' turn, Hana was running smoothly for the first few rounds then she started gasping for air. The teacher quickly stopped the class and she was treated in the infirmary but Hana hid the truth from everyone.

 

Physically speaking, Hana was a weak girl; she could not join any outdoor activities that require lots of energy and so normally, Yixing will accompany her during PE class in case she needed help while doing activities. And there, while Yixing was quietly watching her in the benches while she was in class, Hana could always see the other girls in her class staring and giggling towards Yixing. She knew her friend had always been a heartthrob to the girls around school anyway. 

 

 

Yixing, I heard there’s someone confessed to you again.” Hana told Yixing all of a sudden. 

 

Yixing smiled, "Why? Are you jealous?” 

 

“No.” 

 

“Really?” Yixing started poking her cheeks to annoy her. 

 

Yaaaaaa. I’m not jealous.” 

 

Yixing just laughed when Hana pouted, jutting out her lower lip to look like a kicked dog. 

 

"Well, to answer your inquiry, yes. Someone confessed to me" 

 

“Did you accept her?” Hana blurted out before Yixing could even finish his sentence, cutting him off. 

 

“Relax. Let me finish my sentence first.” Yixing said, wrapping an arm around her shoulder. 

 

Hana sat down in the nearby bench and she dragged her friend down to sit beside her. She looked at Yixing with hesitant eyes but he looked back at her with a smile that she can't quite decipher. 

 

“No. I did not accept her.” 

 

“Why?” She tries her best not to sound happy, but deep inside her mind was already whooping in relief. 

 

“Well, I’m still young.” Yixing smiled genuinely  making her heart flutter.  

 

Hana just shrugged her shoulders but she felt completely relieved that Yixing is still single. She knows deep in her heart that she loves Yixing dearly, but she doesn't know if Yixing felt the same way too. And she had always bottled up her feelings because she was afraid their friendship would start being awkward if ever she confessed her feelings. But at the same time, she knew that time is running up for them. 

 

 

Little did she know that Yixing liked her too, but just like her, he knew he is not allowed to have any romantic feelings towards her. He decided to just be there every single time she needed him, just like how she'll always be there for him everyday. 

 

 

“Hana, can I talk to you?” Jongdae approached Hana and Yixing. 

 

“Sure.” Hana smiled. 

 

“Alone, please.” Jongdae glared jokingly at Yixing and he understood what he meant. 

 

Yixing just nodded, waving goodbye to his two friends. “I’ll head to the cafeteria first. Meet you there!” 

 

Hana and Jongdae silently watched as Yixing walked away, and when they see his back slowly disappearing from the crowd of people, Jongdae turns his whole body towards her, looking at her intently. 

 

"What is it?” Hana looked at Jongdae. 

 

Jongdae’s face suddenly blushed while looking at Hana. Hana looked into Jongdae’s eyes and Jongdae felt so small under her gaze, like she’s directly looking into his soul. 

 

Jongdae?” 

 

“I…I..” Jongdae starts stammering, messing his words up because of his nervousness. But he mustered up all his courage, sitting straightly and staring back into her almond eyes. 

 

“Yes?” 

 

“I like you, Hana.” 

 

Jongdae immediately ran away before Hana could even react. It took Hana a few seconds to absorb what just happened before she chased after Jongdae because she does not want to hurt Jongdae by giving him high hopes. 

 

“Jongdae-ah!” Hana shouted. 

 

Jongdae stopped and turned around to look back at her, nervously smiling. 

 

“Hana..” 

 

“Look, Jongdae. It’s not that I don’t like you. It’s just that.. I could only see you as a friend. Do you understand? I mean ” Hana rubbed the back of her neck, feeling awkward with the rejection dripping between her words. 

 

Jongdae’s cat smile disappeared, his face falling slowly. "Are you rejecting me?” 

 

“Yes, no yes? What I mean is, I like another person.” Hana tried to explain her side to avoid any conflict and if she had to say the truth, she will, just to avoid hurting Jongdae so much. 

 

“You like Yixing?” 

 

“Jongdae" 

 

“Am I right?” 

 

“Yes, but we could still be friends!” She tried to lessen the tension between then by smiling but he looked so sullen she decided to zip up. 

 

“It’s okay, I get it. Good bye.” Jongdae turned his back and walked away. Hana doesn't run after her this time, letting him walk away with sunken shoulders. 

 

Hana did not tell Yixing about Jongdae confessing to her because she does not want Yixing to think of it in a bad light. But Yixing knew that Jongdae liked Hana, the point is he just kept quiet about it. 

 

One night, Yixing was lying on his bed and suddenly, he heard a voice behind his head,

 

you’re leaving soon. 

 

“Yes, I know.” 

 

 

Yixing and Hana hang out as usual and he stares at Hana’s smile; the smile that make his heart beat faster, the smile that can make him forget everything. He knew in himself he couldn't contain his feelings anymore and he wouldn't even think of the consequences it may bring. He finally decides to tell her the truth one afternoon. 

 

“Hana.” 

 

“Yes?” She looked at him with questioning eyes, wondering why his voice was lower than his usual, cheery voice. 

 

“There’s something you need to know.” 

 

Hana put down her drink and looked at Yixing, 

 

“I’m actually..” 

 

No, you can’t say it. 

 

“I’m actually….” 

 

You must follow the rules. You can’t be together. 

 

“I like you.” 

 

Hana’s ears could not believe what she just heard. 

 

“You’re lying.” 

 

Yixing shook his head cutely like a dog fresh from. 

 

“Are you serious? Like really?” Hana’s hand was practically shaking but Yixing to it to his, wrapping her trembling hand with his own to tell her he was there for her. 

 

He held her hand softly, "Yes.” 

 

Everything felt surreal for Hana. Their favourite place to date was at the beach or just lay down on the grass bed to look at the stars. 

 

"Yixing,look at that!" Hana pointed at the dark sky.

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Do you ever wonder,why they always refer the moon as a girl?"

 

Yixing thought for awhile then he smiled,

 

"I don't know the exact reason but apparently the moon has a softer side ?" 

 

Hana nodded,

 

"There's a myth about the love between the Moon and the Sun. They can't be together,they could only shine when one dies." Hana added.

 

Yixing held Hana's hand,

 

"But their love continues until now."

 

Hana blushed as she looked at Yixing's face,the moonlight made his face looked more angelic than ever. 

 

Every morning, Hana would find a letter with short messages on it.  

 

“You are my sunshine. Cheesy!” 

 

“Hana is mine.” 

 

“Your smile lights up my world.” 

 

“I could not find any other reason to unlove you.” 

 

“You and I, forever.” 

 

She knew it was Yixing who did all those things which she absolutely loved. And because of Yixing, her life seemed to be more colourful than ever. Every day and night she felt blessed. And every single day he would pray that everything about him and Yixing would last. 

 

“Hana, how about a date later at our favourite beach?” Yixing held Hana’s hand. 

 

“Of course. Meet you there at 8?” Hana softly squeezed Yixing’s hand. He nodded back at her, smiling. And that's when Hana felt like they were meant for each other. 

 

She happily went to the beach where they always hang out after school but she could not find Yixing. 

 

“Yixing?” Hana called out. 

 

Hana felt weird so she walked around the beach thinking that Yixing might be late. She sat down at a small wooden bench and stared up into the moon. It was already getting dark, and she ws worried. She was about to get her phone and call Yixing when all of a sudden, she heard the a guitar strum. Hana turned around and she saw her one and only, Zhang Yixing. 

 

“I can call your name, I can sincerely hold your hand 

 

The sunlight is shining on me, I'm feeling incurable happiness 

 

You’re calling my name, you lightly lean against my shoulder 

 

That sunlight is always embracing you gently and warmly 

 

I can’t turn my eyes away, you’re so dazzling 

 

So lucky my love 

 

So lucky to have you 

 

So lucky to be your love, I am.” 

 

Hana’s tears started to fall; she could not ask for anything more than that moment. Yixing’s angelic voice filled in the silence of the night. Yixing wipes the tears away from her face, wishing she wouldn't cry like this when it was already time. 

 

Days went by, the voice behind Yixing’s mind was getting stronger. 

 

It’s time.

 

Yixing nodded weakly as he did not want to leave. He went to school and met his homeroom teacher. "Teacher, I’m moving away today.” Yixing said. 

 

“Oh yeah, your mother called me about it like a week ago. I settled everything for you. So don’t worry too much.” The teacher smiled. 

 

Jondgae overheard the conversation between Yixing and the teacher. And so that afternoon, before Yixing could leave the gates, he quickly dragged Yixing to the back of the school. 

 

“What’s going on?” Yixing was surprised but he couldn't understand why Jongdae looked angry at him. And Jongdae was trying to calm himself but he can’t. 

 

“YOU PROMISED TO BE THERE FOR HANA AND NOW YOU’RE MOVING WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE?” Jongdae shouted with so much anger his shoulder were already shaking. 

 

“What- How do you know?” 

 

“IT DOESN’T MATTER HOW I FOUND OUT. YOU’RE A LIAR.” 

 

“Jongdae, listen to me.” 

 

“NO, YOU PROMISED HER. AND NOW?” 

 

“Jongdae-“ 

 

Yixing wasn't able to finish his sentence because a fist landed on his face. Being the friend he is, he did not fight back so Jongdae kept hitting him. The students started to surround them and Hana saw the scene. She ran towards them and tried to stop Jongdae but Jongdae could not stop. 

 

“I SAID, STOP!” Hana shouted at the top of her lungs. 

 

Suddenly she found it hard to breathe. Jongdae and Yixing stopped and looked over at Hana. She was on the floor, taking in fast but short breaths. The teachers came after a few seconds and Yixing quickly carried Hana to the school’s infirmary. 

 

“We need to send her to the hospital, fast!” the nurse said. 

 

They quickly brought Hana to the hospital while Jongdae and Yixing waited outside of the emergency room, feeling anxious. And because of what happened, the teachers suspended both of them for their actions. Jongdae was still mad at Yixing but he apologized because he felt like he was the one responsible for Hana’s sudden unconsciousness. Both of them visited Hana one day and when they reached her room, Hana’s doctor came out from the door. Hana's mom was outside as well and she stood up when she saw the doctor in front of her. 

 

“How’s my daughter?” Hana’s mother started crying. 

 

The doctor shook his head, "Not much longer.” 

 

Hana’s mother fell on to the ground and cried while Hana's father hugged his wife to stop her from crumbling to the ground.  

 

Yixing and Jongdae were suddenly confused, eyes darting back at each othe and the doctor. "What’s going on?” 

 

The doctor explained everything calmly, “Hana’s condition have never been bright so, we know that her time is running up. Her disease is on the critical stage. If she’s strong enough, she’ll last for a few more months. But not longer than that anymore. I'm sorry." 

 

Both of them were shocked because they never knew that the bright Hana was actually sick. Everything was happening so fast and Yixing couldn't bring himself to look at Hana's sleeping state without breaking down. After their visit, Yixing and Jongdae went back together. 

 

“Jongdae, can I ask you for a favor?” 

 

“What is it?” 

 

“I am leaving tomorrow, so-“ 

 

“WHAT? YOU’RE LEAVING WHILE HANA IS BEDRIDDEN?” 

 

“I have no choice.”  Yixing felt ashamed for doing this and it hurts he had to leave her while she's in this state. But he had to go or else. 

 

“Fine. What is it?" 

 

“Can you tell Hana when she wakes up that I had to go but we will still meet sooner or later?” 

 

Jongdae sighed but he weakly nodded. 

 

“Thanks buddy. I’ll forever remember you and look at you from there.” 

 

Jongdae felt that Yixing’s sentence was weird but he just ignored them. The following day, Yixing really disappeared. But Hana was still unconscious. Everyday Jongdae would visit Hana. Few days later, Hana woke up. And the first person she saw was Jongdae. 

 

"You’re awake!” Jongdae smiled. 

 

He quickly pressed the button to call the doctor and Hana’s doctor came in. They ran a body checking process and she’s better now but it does not change the fact that she will not live any longer than a few months. Hana looked around and then she looked at Jongdae. 

 

“Jongdae…” 

 

Jongdae quickly sat by her side, 

 

“Yes? Are you feeling any pain? Do you want me to call the doctor?” he panicked. 

 

“Ahh, no no. I’m just wondering..where is Yixing?” 

 

“Oh.” 

 

“Hmm?” 

 

“He is busy with things right now, he said he’ll visit soon.” 

 

He lied. He had to. He'll do anything for Hana, even if it takes him a few words of lies. 

 

Hana just nodded. Everyday, Hana would glance at the door to see if Yixing came to see her. Every time people came in her room, she hoped it was Yixing but it never was. 

 

But every night, she felt like Yixing was there. Looking after her and smiling at her. She woke up every time, but he was never there. She secretly cried to sleep every time. Little did she know that Yixing was there, for her. He tried to approach her but he can’t. He tried to touch her, but he still can’t. 

 

Months passed by, Hana’s condition was getting worse. She could not even move by her own and the disease was eating her up, consuming her time away. Jongdae would still visit her day by day and it hurts because it was like he’s watching a withering flower. It’s funny how life could turn into. We never know what will happen in the future. 

 

And then, the day arrived, Hana’s breathing was shallow. Too shallow to be heard. Her heartbeat was dropping, and everything fell silent. Everyone was ready for this. Or so they thought. Hana’s parents turned their backs, they could not bear to see the sight. Jongdae just stood still as the doctor started to remove the supporting system. Hana’s face was smiling, she still left a smile for her dearest people. Her father, mother, Jongdae, friends, those who cared for her and the one that never came, Yixing. The last support system was removed, the only sound heard was silence. 

 

Hana’s funeral went smoothly without any problems. Everyone that cared for her was there and everyone that she cared about was there… except for Yixing. Everyone was too sad to even think about it. Yixing watched from afar, 

 

“It’s okay. Soon.” 

 

Yixing left without anyone noticing. 

 

 

“Hana, wake up~” a voice called. 

 

Hana woke up from the voice and looked around. 

 

“This isn’t right, I remember I passed away.” She looked at the foreign sight. 

 

She was sitting on clouds, she heard soft voices everywhere. It was heavenly. She touched her back, suddenly she felt something was on her back. She turned her head slightly to see what the thing on her back was, it was a pair of white wings. She was shocked and speechless. She saw someone was flying towards her and when she took a close look, it was Yixing. Yixing was dressed in white robe and who also had a pair of white wings behind him. 

 

“Yixing?” 

 

“Hana!” 

 

Yixing helped Hana to stand up and he described everything to her, 

 

“This place is Heaven. Yes, you passed away on Earth but you’re born now in Heaven.” 

 

Hana scratched her head, "Why am I here?” 

 

“Because you are chosen.” 

 

“Huh?” 

 

“He knew that your time is running up on Earth and all the good deeds you did granted you a place in Heaven.” 

 

Hana started to understand, 

 

“Then why are you here too?” 

 

“I’m a guardian.” He smiled at her, a smile that assured her everything was going to be okay. 

 

Hana nodded and her wings started to flutter.  Yixing looked over and smiled,

 

"You’re ready.” 

 

Hana looked at him, 

 

“For what?” 

 

Yixing grabbed her hand, 

 

“To be the Little Guardian of the Earth.” 

 

And together, they flew up in the clouds. There were many more angels flying around but Hana still has a question. “Yixing, why were you there for me? On Earth, I mean. When I was still alive?" 

 

Yixing giggled, squeezing her hand tightly as they took a soar up, having the best view of Heaven. Hana would never exchange this moment for anything. 

 

 

 

"Don’t you know? Angels are sent to everyone on Earth to take care of them.”