This Person

Winter Fantasy: Fly Like Yesterday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Howon, or better known as Hoya, was killing time with his nose pointed directly inward toward an open novel in his hands. He was leaning against the pillow on a creaky bed, that was up against the wall on one side while relaxing at the same time. The room was slightly dimmed due to the only light that was coming from outside through the window. Today's weather wasn't exactly sunny, but it wasn't stormy neither. It was a cool, winter day, and with his nose in his book, the coldness outside barely bothered him. 

Inside the small living space was warm. Because the building was once, or still is, a basement. The smell of wood was strong and the ground was made of cold cement tiles. Just to the left side of the bed, in which he was using, was the couch and a single television set. Stacked on top of it were CDs.

Nothing more, nothing less. 

Then across from the living set was the small kitchen with a few appliances, such as a small fridge, installed stove, and movable counters. Then to the right of that was the front door; or rather the steps to the level ground above them that slightly hid the basement. 

Right as he was just getting to an interesting part of the novel, he felt the weight of his partner over him and she let out a soft laughter. Hoya lowered his book almost instantly and look up just to meet the eyes of Jung Hyosung. Though he's the man in their relationship, he suddenly grew flustered. The tip of his ears flushed red. 

Hyosung was wearing a wide gummy smile, her eyes sparkling before his own. "What are you reading?" She asked, keeping her smile. 

Hoya blinked a few times to regain his composure, quickly he cleared his throat. "Uh, it's nothing interesting." He lied. He's been reading the book over and over again for the past few months. He could play the images of the whole book in his head and even remember what each character has said in each scene. "But why are you home so early?" He asked, wanting to change the topic as quickly as possible. 

Hyosung giggled a little, "You told me to be home early today, did you forget?" 

Of course, he suddenly felt shameful for forgetting. Today was Hoya's birthday and he wanted to celebrate it with Hyosung, and with her alone. "No, no, no, why would I forget? Of course, I remember." He told another lie. Hyosung sat back, basically sitting on Hoya's lap with her legs spread outside of his. 

"Don't lie, your ears are red." She pointed out, Hoya avoided her gaze as he moved to place the book on the nightstand beside him. Leaving it under the lamp. He then turned back to face Hyosung. 

"I'm not lying though. My ears are red because it's hot in here." 

Hyosung frowned. This time she couldn't tell whether he was lying or really telling the truth. Hoya held out his open arms to her. "Can I get a hug?" He asked. Hyosung pouted a little then lean in to wrap her arms around his waist. She dropped her chin on Hoya's broad shoulders and hummed before she spoke. 

"Hoya." She started, earning a 'huh?' from Hoya. "Happy Birthday." She said. Hoya couldn't help it but flash his signature, toothy smile. 

"Thank you." 

"Being in your arms like this reminds me of when we first met," Hyosung said, Hoya kept an attentive ear, wanting her to continue without him interrupting. "You were so awkward and mean back then." She blurted. Hoya chuckle at that. 

"I was going through a hard time during that time." He said. 

"Excuses." Hyosung retorted. 

"I'm serious. You know too, back then." He said. 

Hyosung hummed this time.

It was true.

Hyosung was there. Three years ago. When Hoya was one of Busan's best dance-boy.

Three years ago.

Inside a practice room, Hoya was dancing around the room. Freestyling. The atmosphere of music buzzing through headphones was disturbed when heavy footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs. "I know, I know!" Hoya was getting a drink near one corner when three of his buddies entered the room. Jinwoon was the first to step onto the floor from outside the room. 

He paused once he noticed Hoya in the room. Behind him Joon, Kikwang, and Byunghun came to a stop. 

"Hoya...." Jinwoon said under his breath, he didn't believe what he was seeing. Joon and Byunghun looked directly at Hoya as well, while Kikwang could sense awkwardness between them. 

"Hey guys." Hoya greeted first, after all, it's been two years since he has seen his buddies. Or rather, his team members in which was formed in Busan. Among them, Byunghun was the leader. It was nothing special. The leader of the group was easily determined by rock-paper-scissors. 

"You're back!" Jinwoon said as he walked over and gave Hoya a quick hug. Joon and Byunghun quickly head over to greet Hoya too after exchanging a short glance. Across the room, Kikwang was biting his fingernails, peeking over to them. The four quickly greet each to get comfortable again. Finally, Kikwang and Hoya's gaze met, Kikwang gestured his head outside, wanting to meet with Hoya alone. 

Kikwang sighed, his hands were pocketed, and he slowly looked up to meet Hoya's eyes. "I know you may still be upset but-"

"I'm not upset." Hoya quickly cut him off, "I have no reason to be." Though Hoya said so, Kikwang could feel the emptiness of his words. 

"Still, I wanted to apologize on behalf of Hyuna and myself." 

"I told you, you have no reason to say or do anything." 

Kikwang ran a hand through his hair, "And still, because I feel bad since we were like brothers. So I thought I should at least apologize now that you're back." 

Hoya scoffed, "Brothers?" 

"You know what I mean Hoya." 

"Sure I do Kikwang because brothers can just steal another brother's dance partner and then apologize as if nothing happened. Because a brother can just ignore the other brother without even trying to phone him once for the past two years because he's too busy flirting with his brother's former partner!"

"You said you weren't upset Hoya!" 

"I know what I said!" Hoya shouted back. 

"Then why are you still angry about me taking Hyuna from-?!"

"I'm not angry about Hyuna-!" 

"Then what are you angry about?!" 

Hoya let out a heavy sigh before he answered Kikwang in a lower voice, "Your guys' relationship before Hyuna became my dance partner." 

Kikwang grew speechless as Hoya brushed past him. 

It was about three years ago where Hyuna became a member of their group. Hoya couldn't keep his eyes off of Hyuna thus he personally asked her to form a partnership with him in an upcoming dance competition. Without knowing, Hyuna and Kikwang were secretly seeing each other. And on the day when the dance competition was taking place, Hyuna and Kikwang had forgotten about it and decided to go out instead. 

It was Hoya's only chance to go to Seoul back then. He always dreamed of going to Seoul one day and become a famous dancer. But that dream was ruined when Kikwang and Hyuna went out together. Hoya had let that slide, but what made him mad was when Hyuna and Kikwang decided to become partners for a small couple competition, Hyuna became Kikwang's girl since they won first place. And since then, Hoya took a two-year hiatus. It was really to hide from Kikwang, as he saw Kikwang as one of his best friends. 

They were after all closer to each other out of their whole group. 

The next day, Kikwang came into the room with Hoya dancing alone again. Kikwang came up to Hoya from behind and though Hoya could see his reflection in the mirror, he ignored him. Finally, when Kikwang's stare started to bother him, Hoya ripped one of his earpieces out from his ear and turn to face Kikwang. 

"Can you move? You're blocking my way." 

"Hoya, can't you be more understanding?"

"Of what?" 

"Don't pretend you don't know what I'm referring to. I know Hyuna used to be your partner, but we couldn't help it when we started having feelings for each other. So I don't want to throw our friendship under the train for just one woman, so I'm asking for your forgiveness, really." 

Hoya looked directly into Kikwang's eyes. 

"Fine. Since she was nothing more than a dance partner to me, I'll let it go this time." 

"So you'll stop sulking?" Kikwang asked, Hoya scoffed in an offended way. 

"Hey, when did I sulk?" 

Kikwang's smile curled upward, "I'm glad we could work things out now that you're back." 

Hoya sighed, "Sure, that's that. But why didn't you call me or even try to visit me at least once during my hiatus?"

"You told me not to," Kikwang answered almost too bluntly. Before Hoya could continue, they saw a figure entering the room from the corner of their eyes. They turned around and there was a pretty lady with a leather jacket over her black tank top and torn blue jeans on. She bowed to greet them when she noticed their gazes. 

"Hello~" 

Hoya was taken aback by her sudden appearance. Other than Hyuna and another woman named Nicole, who's Jinwoon's partner, no woman had ever stepped into the building in broad daylight. 

"Who are you?" Hoya asked almost instantly, looking at her with his cold gaze. 

"Um, I'm here for the try-out....."

Hoya turned to Kikwang for an answer, and fortunately, Kikwang was fully aware of her appearances. "You're early. The try-out doesn't start until later at noon." 

"Ah really? I just saw the flyer outside as I was passing by so I thought I'd come in just to look around." She responded. 

"Oh," Kikwang then slowly approach her, "then rest assure, would you like some water while you wait?" 

"If it's going to start later at noon then I'll just come back-"

"No need." Kikwang cut her off, then smiled briefly, "We can always judge first comers early too. Just let me call the judges real quick. Just be comfortable in here."

"Okay." The lady replied slightly embarrassed for troubling Kikwang. Kikwang stepped outside to make the calls, leaving Hoya alone with her. Hoya was leaning against the wall with his arms folded, watching her as she moved about the room aimlessly. Finally, he decided to start a conversation with her. 

"You don't have a Busan accent, where are you from?" 

The woman smiled at him, glad he broke the awkwardness of the room's atmosphere. "I'm from Seoul. Here for a short vacation." 

Rich people that could afford a vacation in another city deserved much praise. 

"When you said you came here for the try-out. What tryout is it?" 

The pretty lady looked up, almost surprised at his question. Isn't he a judge in the first place? Was the first question that popped up into her mind. 

"You mean you don't know about the duo-competition that will be held here next month?" 

"They hold one every year, so what?" Hoya inquired. After a, l he grew up on the streets of Busan dancing. He knew where every competitions in Busan are held every year. What he was trying to figure out was, why was she there for a tryout. Wha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter