An Angel

The Deathbringer

Yonghwa POV

 

My name is Yonghwa I'm a guardian angel. I'm not the only one, there are many of us. We aren't what you expect. You think angels are pure, good, heavenly. We are none of those. We are old, we live too long. We grow bitter, ruthless, cold. "Guardian" is a word completely made up by mortals. We don't guard you, we don't keep an eye on you, help you when times get rough. We don't even know you exist unless we happen to be summoned to "save" you, and most of you we will forget the minute we move on to our next summon.
The cold truth is, we don't care about you at all. You are nothing but work to us. At least that is what you become as millennia pass.

At first when we are young we might try to care, to show sympathy and truly want to help you. To save someone's life is a marvelous thing after all isn't it?
That's what it seemed like at the beginning. When I first became an angel I was proud, happy and caring. The lives I saved, the families that got to stay complete, the lover that got to hold his love in his arms for just a bit longer. It was beautiful to me.
But angels don't get to choose who to save. We are summoned to the dark as well as the light and we don't have a choice but to save them. es, murderers, wife beaters; if we're summoned death must be kept away. To save a man that ends up living a long life killing one innocent victim after the other, to give one life and practicly taking ten more; it's a terrible thing. It ways you down, it eats at you, piece by piece it destroys you. 
You see it's hard to remember all the good people you save, most wont do much of a difference in the world. They might have a kid or two and make someone happy for a while, but it dosen't last, they all die in the end. The bad people though, they cling to your mind. All the dark thoughts, all the lives they destroy, all the evil you put back among the living.
Every time I know, I don't know how but somehow I know if a person will do horrible things in their life.

We aren't your saviours. You pray to us hoping to be blessed with our help, but we can’t hear you. We aren't in heaven where your prayers are sent, no angel has ever been to heaven. Nor have one been to hell. There is only one creature that can hear your prayers, and he is the one you fear the most. The one you try to escape. What you don't realise is that he is your true saviour. He saves you! No one else. A soul trapped in a body for too long is destroyed completely, it ceases to exist entierly. It isn't pleasant, it isn't natural. You need death to release your soul, to capture it, to transport it, to save it. The truth is the Deathbringer is your saviour, and death is your blessing.

Angels simply delay the inevitable, our work is completely pointless in the grand scheme of it all. All we are is puppets on a string, not even knowing who or what our puppet master is. We are summoned, we come, we keep death away. This time.
We create balance, balance between life and death. Making sure to keep chaos away. That's our mission, our purpose. That's what we live thousands of years for.

So we grow cold, we bury all feelings deep, deep down. You shouldn’t judge us, you shouldn’t blame us. You would do the same. It's our curse.
We are all cursed; angels, the Deathbringer, mortals, no one escapes. Your curse is your mortality, at any second your life could be over. You are fragile, easy to break. Yet you are the most destructive of us all. It's sad really.