Mom

Oak Tree Diner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Track #3 from the Oak Tree Diner OST
"Mom"

"We're closed for today..." said a familiar voice.
"I'm not a customer," Jongin said, closing the door behind him.

"You!" the girl in the red apron sighed in exasperation. "You're late."
"I am?"

"Yeah, did you decide to decide to move in to the sauna house instead?"
"No..."

"I wasn't being serious, stupid."
"Oh."

 

"Mrs. Hwang!" the girl yelled, picking up more of the dirty plates from the tables. "Mrs. Miyoung Hwang!"
"I swear to Christ!" another voice yelled back from the kitchen. "Stop calling me that, I'm your mother! Do you know how rude that is?"

"Yup," said the girl, carrying the dishes back into the kitchen. "That's why I do it."
"Krystal, I will spank you with this ladle if you keep doing it!"

"Your guest is here, by the way," Krystal replied nonchalantly.
"My guest?"

"Yeah, the one you've been waiting with bated breath for for the whole day."
"Jongin? My Jongin is here?"

 

Mrs. Hwang rushed out of the kitchen and looked around wildly for Jongin.

"My boy," she said. "My son, you're here!"
"How have you been?" he bowed.

"Are you feeling alright?" she turned him back and forth and inspected him. "They didn't hurt you in there?"
"I'm very healthy," he bowed again. "Thank you."

"I thought you would never be back," she said, reaching up to hold his face in her hands. She had very warm eyes. "Twelve years, my son... well done... well done..."
"Oh... em... gee..." Krystal pretended to stick two fingers down . "You two are so lovey dovey, I think I'm going to be sick."

"Have you eaten dinner yet?" Mrs. Hwang ignored her daughter and fussed over him, frantically checking and patting him.
"I'm fine, ma'am," he sad, shuffling awkwardly on the spot from the attention.

 

Mrs. Hwang stiffened.

"Get out." She said, pushing him away.
"Ma'am?" he said, still unsure of what to do with his hands.

"Get out," she shoved him towards the door. "And never come back!"
"Wh... where should I..." he asked, unaware of what offense he had caused but apologetic all the same.

"I'm sorry," Jongin said, bowing deeply and holding his hands behind his back.
"Sorry for what?" Mrs. Hwang snapped.

"I'm sorry," he realized. "Mom."
Mrs. Hwang's expression softened again.

"Let's close the shop for tonight," she said to Krystal.
She received a shrug in reply.

 

"So what do you want to eat?" she said, rubbing Jongin's shoulder.
He stiffened again and kept his head bowed.

"How does samgyupsal sound?" she said, patting his head and rubbing his cheeks again.
He nodded slightly.

"Welcome home," she said, trying to hug him and instead settling for firm pats to his back.

 

 

Mrs. Hwang took a piece of the sizzling pork from the metal pan in the middle of the table and carefully wrapped it with rice, roast garlic and bean paste in a leaf of lettuce.

 

"Here," she said proudly, holding it out for Jongin. "Say 'ahh'."
"I'll help myself," he began, holding out both hands to take the wrap from her.

"Just say 'ahh'," she hissed, taking the food away from his grasp. "Come on."
"Ahhh," he still reached out his hands and took the woman's hands to help guide it to his mouth.

"That's right," she said, proudly. "Good boy."
The wrap was a little too large for his mouth.

 

"Ew, you guys..." Krystal complained. "Does that make you happy, Mrs. Hwang?"
"Watch your mouth, young lady," she frowned. "Stop calling me that, or else!"

"Or else what, Mrs. Hwang?" Krystal teased, grabbing some pork from the pan.
"Or else this!" Mrs. Hwang smacked her in the back of the head. "This! This!"
Krystal spat out the meat and glared at her mother.

"ing hell," the girl said, throwi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter