Partay!

Birthdays

The invitation came rather unsuspectingly on a friday evening, right as lunchtime is ending and everyone is trying to prolong their break before going back into the the confines of the class and their droning teachers and full bellies that makes them too sleepy to function. Everyone is still buzzing with excitement about the upcoming party of the school's popular-person-of-the-year Kim Jongin, who has pretty much indirectly invited at least half of the school. As he is finally turning legal, this will definitely go down as party of the century, to be remembered for an eternity and the beginnings of the stories to be told to future grandchildren.

 

Naturally, Jongdae would be going. Even if he wasn't exactly what you normally call 'popular', there is an immense number of people who is unconditionally fond of him, and why wouldn't they be? He is nice, funny, friendly, and not to mention his face is not even close to the 'meh' category. In this case, he is pretty much best friends with three of the birthday boy's closest circle of friends and has been asked to go three different instances, all of which happened before first period ended. He is now sitting with another one of his best friends, also another birthday boy, excitedly making plans to celebrate this special event tomorrow, before Jongin's party of course.

 

Today's birthday boy, a.k.a Kyungsoo, is currently giggling at Jongdae's paper, in which he is writing the minute details of their plans.

 

"Ok, so we can spend exactly 24 minutes at Disneyland before going back to the airport and flying to paris. There was that really famous gellato place you've always wanted to go to yeah? So we can eat dessert to our hearts content before going back so I can get to Jongin's party. How long is the flight from Paris to here?", Jongdae asks with the utmost concentration on his face.

 

Kyungsoo smiles at his childhood friend, "About 11 hours I'd say"

 

"Hm. We might need to reschedule and start our plans bright and early at... Say, 12:03 am?"

 

Kyungsoo laughs and shoves his friend from his seat. "Stop it Dae! Why can't we just do something tonight anyway? I'm all for renting movies and spending the night in bed with you and a bucket of popcorn"

 

"Becaause Kyungie baby," Jongdae replies, flicking Kyungsoo across his forehead,"A birthday is a sacred and special event to be spent with only fun and happiness and we can't do that if half of it is already spent at boring old school"

 

"Yeah well, tomorrow isn't exactly my birthday anymore"

 

"Semantics", Jongdae says, flapping his hand to his friends face.

 

Kyungsoo's face relaxes and his mouth settles itself into a smile more fond than amused, "You know hyung, it's okay if you haven't made any plans for me on my birthday. I know you've been busy with tests the past couple of weeks, and I'm really okay with a movie night, as long as they're horror movies"

 

"And that is exactly why I am not okay with this plan", Jongdae replies with an almost pout in his mouth.

 

For as long as Kyungsoo can remember, Jongdae has been in the bigger part of his life and has never failed to attend each of his birthdays, always with a treat especially for Kyungsoo. Of course, Kyungsoo wouldn't fail to return the favour, although his treats consists of mainly his own baking since Jongdae is apparently convinced that his food tastes like heaven's blessing. Kyungsoo isn't sure when exactly Jongdae had an actual blessing from the heavens to know this but he accepts the compliment nevertheless. This is the difference between Kyungsoo and Jongdae's other best friends. He knows without doubt that Jongdae will always put him before others and he would do the same, even though it can't be dubbed equal since he doesn't have that many friends to begin with.

 

Kyungsoo laughs again, "You're a big baby"

 

"I just don't find them enjoyable as you do, you sadist"

 

Kyungsoo makes a wounded animal noise at the back of his throat, "Is that any way to treat the birthday boy Jongdae?"

 

"As far as I'm concerned, your birthday is tomorrow"

 

"Besides," he continues before Kyungsoo had any time to sass back, "Even if you are not a sadist, you'd fall asleep the minute it starts because I know you stayed up last night Soo, don't even lie"

 

This is exactly what makes people like him so much. Jongdae is always thoughtful and empathetic to everyone. He notices things long before anyone realises and acts accordingly. Kyungsoo doesn't know what he has done right in the world to deserve such a wonderful friend.

 

He was about to make some sort of snarky comment of Jongdae's stalker-ish tendencies when they are stopped in their tracks by the very object of the talk of the school, who appears to have been half-dragged by his friend. He straightens his back as soon as they reached Kyungsoo and Jongdae. Kyungsoo notes the light pink on his cheeks and wonders what made mr popular so flustered?

 

"Hey, Baek", Jongdae greets his friend, who is grinning madly next to Jongin.

 

"Hey there"

 

Kyungsoo smiles in greeting. He doesn't exactly like to force himself to have small talk with the strangers at school. Plus, his feet are itching to speed walk to class, preparing for the test he has been studying for all night.

 

"Jongdae... Right?"

 

Jongdae smiles his charming smile at Jongin.

 

"I was.. Just wondering if you're coming tomorrow?", Jongin looks like he would turn back and fled at any moment now.

 

Kyungsoo briefly wonders if he has a crush on Jongdae. They would certainly make a good-looking couple, but. Test. Class. He tries to somehow calculate how much longer will this chit-chatting last. Maybe if he stares long enough, his thoughts would be heard on their heads, or at the very least, creep them enough to walk away very quickly.

 

"Of course! After Baekhyunnie here personally sneaked into my homeroom to ask I wouldn't miss it for the world!", he replies, giving Baekhyun an obnoxious wink.

 

Baekhyun laughs, "You only agreed after I said Minseok is attending!"

 

"Well, every party animal needs a partner in crime after all"

 

"Since when does that even make sense?", Baekhyun says, shaking his head.

 

"What about you, Kyungsoo?", Jongin asks.

 

Kyungsoo startles out of his staring, "Oh! Um... I-"

 

Right before Kyungsoo manages to say anything further, the bell rang and reminded Kyungsoo of the test that is going to happen in a couple of minutes.

 

"Uh-oh, gotta go! See you later!", Kyungsoo blurts, rushing immediately into his class. He thought he heard Baekhyun laughing, but his mind is too busy organising test materials in his brain to care.

 

------

 

Jongdae walks into the party venue, feeling his heartbeat pick up as he hears the booming bass from the sound system. Sure, he had lots of fun with Kyungsoo today, playing around in the theme park, getting on the tallest rides, eating lots of junk food and even getting himself all wet when they pushed each other into a fountain for kids to play, but the promises of socialising and free alcohol gets his spirits going. This is his world.

 

A couple of hours into the party, everyone is getting louder with both alcohol and cake in their systems, Jongdae finds himself needing a break before he gets completely riled up and start doing stupid things. It is at times like this that he misses Kyungsoo a little, because his friend is a good counterbalance and has always been able to chill him back to normal easily. Unfortunately for him, Kyungsoo wasn't there.

 

He pushes out of the dancing crowd into the seats which everyone has abandoned. Save for some couples making out.... And, is that?

 

Jongdae walks closer to the figure at the biggest table who seems to be looking for something... Or perhaps, someone... ?

 

"Hey there birthday boy!"

 

Jongin startles at his voice, despite the loud music around them.

 

"Oh, hey!"

 

He seems... Hopeful?

 

"How is the party going for you so far? Managed to snag a pretty girl yet?", Jongdae nudges at the boy with his elbow.

 

Jongin chuckles, "Do you see any girl around me? Because I don't and I'm a little worried if you actually do"

 

Jongdae laughs at him, "Honestly I'm more concerned that there isn't a group of girls throwing themselves at you, I mean, are you gay or something? Not that there is anything wrong with being gay, but there aren't any group of guys throwing themselves at you either"

 

"I'm pretty sure its not a hidden fact that I am gay"

 

"Ah", Jongdae says and would have continued, if he hadn't noticed Jongin's uncomfortable manner.

 

It's as if he has something stuck in his behind that he couldn't let out. But Jongdae thinks it's probably not fart, nor poop.

 

"You know, we may not be close, but you can tell me whatever it is you wanted to and I won't judge you or anything, I promise"

 

Jongin seems surprised at his words, but it seems to do the trick as he wets his lips to speak.

 

"Is he... Here? Your friend Kyungsoo I mean"

 

Jongdae fights to keep his eyebrows from raising itself judgmentally.

 

"No", he replies calmly.

 

"Oh.", Jongin says, deflating a little in his seat.

 

A little light bulb plants itself on Jongdae's mind.

 

"It's... Nothing personal though. Parties like these are just not his scene, apparently", he explains.

 

Jongin blinks, "Really? The first time I remember meeting him was at a party"

 

"Ah, but whose party was it?", Jongdae fishes.

 

"Yours", Jongin replies a little too sadly.

 

Jongdae feels a little sorry for the boy.

 

"Well you see, the thing is, Kyungsoo and I have this thing we do where we absolutely have to spend each other's birthdays together. It's sort of like a tradition, I guess. Last year I became legal, so of course I wanted a party. Even with the tradition thing going on, it took me a whole week to convince him that I'd definitely be upset if he was only there to give me a cake. Of course, I also tried to make it into a party he would be comfortable with. That's why there wasn't that many people there.", Jongdae explains.

 

"Oh", Jongin says quietly.

 

He is now quite visibly upset, so Jongdae took his chance with the question that has been nagging him.

 

"So, is this why there are no crowds of guys?", Jongdae asks with a small smirk, "Because you have a little crush on Kyungie?"

 

The question did exactly what Jongdae wanted it to as Jongin jerks his entire body, dropping someone's drink to the floor and flusters.

 

"N-not at all! What... What makes you think that?"

 

"Come on, Jongin. You don't have to lie like this"

 

Jongin still looks nervous, which is pretty understandable since Jongdae is well-known to be Kyungsoo's bestest and closest friend. Although when Jongin moves to talk, his reputation must also be quite something since apparently he is also well known as someone trustworthy.

 

"Promise me you won't tell him"

 

"Cross my heart", Jongdae smiles, "So, you were planning to confess on your birthday..? That would make a good anniversary reminder"

 

"My actual birth date is tomorrow actually", Jongin rubs his neck, still shy about sharing things with the older, "its just.... I heard that his birthday was two days before, and I thought...."

 

"You thought you will celebrate it together? Awww Jongin, that's so sweet", Jongdae teases a little, ruffling Jongin's hair as he does.

 

Even under the inconsistent party lights, Jongdae can see jongin blushing deeply.

 

"I just.... Thought that he.. Might have wanted to celebrate it this way.... And since its a two-birthday party, might as well make it big right?"

 

Jongdae can't help but think how sweet Jongin really is. He can definitely support this relationship. Assuming Kyungsoo wants him to, that is.

 

"Is that why you came to ask him to come personally yesterday?"

 

"Well... Yeah... I also kinda wanted to wish him a happy birthday... But he ran before I could say it", Jongin says, voice getting smaller towards the end of his sentence that Jongdae had to strain to listen.

 

He pats the younger's shoulder consolingly. "Don't take that personally either. His next lesson was a test that he stayed up all night studying for, and Kyungsoo is the type of nerd who gets unsettled if he isn't five minutes early to come for a test"

 

"Oh", Jongin looks a little relieved at that, "Although I guess I'm still an idiot for doing this then", he gestures in the general direction of the partying.

 

Jongdae couldn't help but root for the poor boy.

 

"I was going to keep this as a surprise since I'm not so sure myself but... I think Kyungsoo is thinking of baking you something maybe as an apology of sorts for not coming or as a birthday present or something. I saw him looking up recipes yesterday, looking veeerry serious. He didn't even notice me peeking"

 

Jongin was dubious, "How do you know its not for anyone else? Like.. His mom or something"

 

"He would have just said so if anyone asked him to bake something. He looks far more nervous than that, like he's not sure whether or not he should, you know?", Jongdae waves his words off, "Tell you what, I'll make sure he does bake it and give it to you on monday"

 

"W-what? No, thats alright... I don't want to burden him or anything... And its really ok that he didn't come..."

 

"No! Look, I'm giving you a chance to talk to him. When he comes to you on monday, you can go ahead and ask him out or give him your little present there without him randomly running away again"

 

Jongin blushes hard as he glances at the innocent looking packet next to him.

 

"H-how did you know it was for him? It could have been someone's present for me", he grumbles with a pout.

 

They would look so disgustingly cute together. Jongdae's newfound ship will sail soon.

 

"I took a guess and went with it", he winks at Jongin, "So... Are you in?"

 

Jongin still looks unsure.

 

"Or you can just sit and stare at that present for a whole year until you get another chance to give it next birthday. Its up to you~"

 

Jongin pokes him for being annoying.

 

"Okay, okay. Fine. Yes, I'm in"

 

"Excellent", Jongdae grins.

 

------

 

True to his word, Jongdae finds himself knocking on his best friends door the next day.

 

"Jongdae? What are you doing here?"

 

Jongdae steps in without the invitation to. It's not like he needed one anyway.

 

"Oh, I feel so welcomed my dear bestest best friend", he replies, dropping himself dramatically at the couch, "Is your mom home?"

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, "You know what I mean", he says, flapping Jongdae off the couch because that was his spot until some uninvited guest decides to knock on his door.

 

"And mom isn't home, but even if she is, don't even think for a second that you two can wheedle another fancy dessert out of me because I'm not falling for anything this time"

 

Jongdae laughs remembering the event not one week ago. Kyungsoo acts like he's so tough, but they both know he would do anything his mother asks him to. Especially if Jongdae is asking for the exact same thing. Kyungsoo is a big pushover, really. It was both a pity and a blessing that not many people get to uncover this.

 

"Aw, I was craving something sweet", he puts his feet on top of his best friend instead.

 

"You know, there is such a thing called 'convenience stores' and there is one located conveniently right across your own house"

 

"But I thought you were baking!", he whines. It's Jongdae's most powerful weapon because it gets Kyungsoo so annoyed. It's really entertaining.

 

Kyungsoo frowns at him, "You came all the way here after spending the day with me and partying the night because you thought I was baking?", he raises an eyebrow at his best friend, "Come to think of it, it's not even 2 yet and you're already awake? It can't be that bad of a party if Jongin practically invited the entire school"

 

Sometimes Jongdae really despises how observant Kyungsoo can be.

 

He can feel his back sweating already but keeps his face calm under Kyungsoo's scary stare and opts to pout instead.

 

"I saw you looking up recipes yesterday and buying ingredients! I might as well make it easier for you and come here to devour it"

 

Kyungsoo simply snorts at him, "Who said I was making it for you anyway... It could have been for mom or something"

 

'Wow, they're even thinking alike', Jongdae thought to himself. 'Soulmate material, right there.'

 

"So you are making something!"

 

"Not really, no"

 

Kyungsoo seems to be avoiding his eyes, so Jongdae's prediction must not be too far from the truth.

 

"Won't your mother be sad if you didn't bake whatever it was for her?", he fishes.

 

"It wasn't for mom, okay?"

 

"Then who else was it for?"

 

"Believe it or not Jongdae, I do have other friends", he replies, but looking a little thoughtful.

 

Jongdae tries a softer approach.

 

"Something on your mind, Soo?"

 

Kyungsoo looks surprised, even when he knows Jongdae understands him well enough to read his mind most of the time.

 

"Well.... I was thinking of baking...", he starts unsurely.

 

"I knew it!", Jongdae nudges him with his foot playfully, "Who's the lucky brat?"

 

"Well, it wasn't exactly someone I actually know know, just sort of an acquaintance friend I guess... But well... Thats why I decided to not do it in the end, cuz like... What was the point even? I mean I-"

 

"Sheesh Soo, I was only asking who not a damn autobiography", Jongdae rolls his eyes playfully.

 

Kyungsoo pouts back at him, "It was Jongin, okay?"

 

Bingo.

 

"Ooooooh I seeeee~", Jongdae drawls out to tease his friend.

 

Kyungsoo sticks his tongue out at the older, but Jongdae can tell he's getting a little flustered.

 

"So why didn't you? I hear baked goods are the way to a man's heart~", he said, poking Kyungsoo on his cute cheeks.

 

Kyungsoo's pout just gets deeper and Jongdae just wants to hug him and squeal, but he's on a mission right now, so the squealing will have to wait.

 

"It wasn't like that, okay? It was just for... I mean... I don't even know...", he slumps down into the sofa and Jongdae has to focus holding in another batch of squeals

 

"I just... Kinda felt guilty running off on him on friday and I didn't even come to the stupid party"

 

"Then go bake an apology muffin"

 

"But it's not like I owe it to him or anything... I mean, I was planning to tell him I wasn’t going to come... I'm not even close to him really"

 

"But he put the effort to invite you personally! He could have just let ME ask you since there is no way I'm not going"

 

"He met us on the way to class. He was probably just being polite... It wasn't like it was an invitation invitation anyway", Kyungsoo mumbles.

 

"Soo, if he made the effort to come up to us and ask that is already an invitation. So hurry up and get that oven warmed up already!"

 

"You're really only in it for the muffins aren't you"

 

"Maybe", Jongdae says, inspecting his own fingernails,"Or maybe I had a talk with Jongin last night and heard him say something about thinking you must dislike him a lot to run off on him like that. Who knows"

 

Kyungsoo was suddenly quiet and looking a little guilty.

 

"But I don’t", he mumbles.

 

Jongdae doesn't really like doing this, but it's for his own good really.

 

"So... Muffins?"

 

Kyungsoo flicks at Jongdae's face.

 

"Cupcakes", he clarifies, before kicking his best friend's legs off him to stand up.

 

"I've been meaning to try this new recipe anyway... Might as well make it now.. I should have all the stuff here or something...", he mumbles to himself as he walks into the kitchen leaving Jongdae alone on the sofa to smile at himself.

 

Free cupcakes and a sailing ship.

 

Success.

 

------

 

Monday morning has a nervous looking Kyungsoo staring into the innards of his locker with eyes a little too lost as he uncharacteristically wastes the minutes of his morning before the class. He knows Jongin will be arriving soon, because for some reason he also seems to like to come to school a little early, and as their lockers are only two empty lockers away, Kyungsoo would get a glimpse of Jongin every morning smiling in a friendly manner or simply waving hello. But today, he finds it very hard to pull his face out of his own locker or move himself in any way. Especially when he hears a set of footsteps getting closer and stopping two lockers away from where he is standing.

 

It's not that Kyungsoo is extremely nervous because Jongin is his longtime crush or anything like that. Sure, he probably wouldn't mind dating Jongin, but who would? Jongin is friendly to everyone, and he just reeks like the type of gentleman who is just genuinely nice. That's pretty much the reason why he's so popular with everyone. His face got him the hearts of half the school and his mannerisms the other half. But Kyungsoo should probably stop thinking about these things and just march right up there and give Jongin the sort-of-present before anyone else comes to greet Jongin.

 

Ok, deep breaths.

Now, how do you start a conversation with Jongin?

I hope he won't laugh at me for being stupid

No he won't, Soo. He's a nice guy

But even I'd laugh at myself

Well, you're evil, Soo it's different

But what if Jongin is secretly evil as well? And oh gosh there will be no one here to help me if he decides t-

 

"-ngsoo?"

 

Kyungsoo was so deep in thought, he didn't notice that his body has moved to grab the small container and walked itself right next to the sleepy boy.

 

Urk.

 

Kyungsoo steels himself and takes a deep breath.

 

"Hi"

 

The result is a little breathy but at least Jongin heard it.

 

"Good morning~", he smiles, looking slightly more awake.

 

This would be their first time talking in close proximity, alone. Kyungsoo wonders if he should make small talk before handing his gift/ apology food over, but his impatience got the better of him.

 

"Here", he s the container to Jongin, stopping mere millimeters from bruising his stomach.

 

"For me?"

 

Jongin didn't look as freaked out or surprised as he did in Kyungsoo's mind so it fuels a bit of courage in him to say more.

 

"Um... It's sort of a gift and... Also sort of an... Apology... Because I wasn't there... But, yeah... Happy birthday"

 

He was a little afraid that Jongin couldn't hear what he said, but the hall was empty and Kyungsoo even looked at him in the eye! He feels Jongdae would have been proud of him, but now that the embarrassment is catching up, he should probably leave.

 

"See you la-"

 

"Thank you", Jongin says.

 

Kyungsoo stares. Not at the boy but at the hand on his wrist preventing him from running.

 

"Is this... Chocolate?"

 

Kyungsoo hears a smile in his voice and he looks up to Jongin opening the lid to see the tiny decorations.

 

"A-and peanut butter in the middle. I-i hope you like them. Some of them are hopefully nutella, but I think Jongdae swapped out most of those. N-not that you're getting leftovers, its just that Jongdae is sort of a pig when he wants to be and I really can't stop him, even when I'm baking things for other people, I have to make extra for-"

 

"Theyre so cute!", Jongin exclaims, stopping Kyungsoo's mouth from tripping over itself as he blurts out the calamity that is his current state of mind.

 

"Can I really eat them?"

 

"They're not fake...", Kyungsoo offers with a shrug and half a smile.

 

Jongin smiles back in return.

 

"Thank you. Really. Oh, and I love chocolate and peanut butter. You must be psychic", he gushes.

 

Kyungsoo relaxes.

 

He really is a nice guy.

 

"Ok, well then, see-"

 

"WAIT!"

 

Kyungsoo was held off from walking away again, but this time, Jongin's hand caught his own instead.

 

"I mean, uhhh... Here, hold on to this for a sec so I won't ruin it"

 

Jongin hands the container back to Kyungsoo, although a lot more careful in handling them as though they are a precious baby. He then proceeds to rummage through his bag for something as Kyungsoo looks on, curious.

 

Jongin's bag looks like it may have been neat sometime in the past, but has been shaken roughly like a spray can before use. A peek at his locker shows almost the same state. It reminds him how sleepy and ruffled the owner is every morning when they greet each other, and Kyungsoo can't help but laugh a little.

 

Jongin seems to have found the item he was looking for, but is also having a hard time pulling it out of the pile of textbooks on top of it, while also keeping a hold on his bag. He jumps a little when he hears the laugh and stops to look embarrassed for a second.

 

"I know, I'm sorry... I'm not the most organised person", he says sheepishly while simultaneously trying to neaten up the contents of his bag and pull the mysterious object in his hand.

 

"It's okay Jongin, it's cute", Kyungsoo smiles at the boy.

 

Jongin ducks to put his bag on the floor to use both hands to pull the object out, but Kyungsoo managed to catch a glimpse of red on his cheeks. Popular boys like Jongin must not be used to getting called cute to their faces. Kyungsoo wonders what adverb he should start using as a compliment then.

 

With a final tug, Jongin finally pulls his hand free, with a wrapped object in his clutch.

 

"Here you go", he says, relieving Kyungsoo of the container and replacing it instead with a brown package. The wrapping is already a little wrinkled, probably from the way it was haphazardly placed inside Jongin's bag, but the shape seems to imply a book inside.

 

Kyungsoo isn't entirely sure what he is supposed to be doing with it.

 

"Um... ?"

 

"I heard your birthday was on friday... So... I... Kinda thought you might be up for partying... B-but then Jongdae told me it wasn't really your scene so you weren't there... A-and it's perfectly fine!... But I was just... Well, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday but then you kinda ran, b-but thats ok as well! Jongdae told me about the test... But ... Uh, I just... Still wanted to give you the present, so... Happy belated birthday to you...?"

 

Kyungsoo didn't understand most of what Jongin have said, but he did understand presents.

 

"For me?", he asks, just to be sure. It would be awkward if he starts unwrapping a present for someone else, and not to mention rude. Kyungsoo may be a little evil and mean sometimes, but rude he is not.

 

Jongin nods with a shy smile.

 

"I hope you like it"

 

Kyungsoo loves presents. Part of the reason why Jongdae and his brother still spoils him with presents during his birthday is because Jongdae really likes the way his best friend lights up at the sight of a mysterious and brightly wrapped object and the smiles aimed at him when Kyungsoo finds whatever object he gifted inside, no matter how insignificant it may be. Presents are the bane of Kyungsoo's 18 years of existence, and there is no one in this world who can convince Kyungsoo that he may be getting too old for presents. People who attempts to obviously live without happiness in their lives.

 

So, In no time at all, Kyungsoo gets rid of the crinkly wrapping and pulls out his gift.

 

It was indeed, a book. He opens it to find pages and pages of recipes of sweets and desserts and other baked goods.

 

"Someone told me you like to bake... So I thought-"

 

Kyungsoo looks up to Jongin with sparkling eyes, already excited at the prospect of baking lots of new things and pampering his mother and even the annoying Jongdae with lots and lots of sweets.

 

"Thank you!", he squeals, completely forgetting his shyness in having to socialise with an acquaintance.

 

He was happily flipping through the book and daydreaming about making them that he misses how Jongin is looking at him with a blushing face and a smile.

 

"Hey Kyungsoo..."

 

"Yeah?"

 

"Would you like to go out with me?"

 

"Go outside? Why?"


 

... There is always next time.

 

"Uh, nevermind, lets get to class"





 


A/n: So yh....

there may be some sort of sequel or something. Comment? :D