Final

Not For Granted

Kyuhyun’s eyes widened as he tried to materialize what just happened. How did she find out? He had been so careful. He did not want to hurt her. He did not want to end it like this but now there was nothing he could do. Although it pained a little, after a moment he felt as if a huge weight had been taken off his shoulder. He felt he was finally free! 

However, as days passed he realized he wasn’t happy at all. He could not stop thinking about Sungmin. They had been together since high school. He missed her so much - her innocent eyes, those cute pouts, her beautiful voice, their hugs and kisses. More than anything he missed how she was always by her side. He missed Sungmin.  

One morning when Kyuhyun opened his eyes a smile slowly grew on his face. Sungmin was there lying beside him sleeping like an angel. He gently removed the hair on her face and closed his eyes to kiss her. But, when he opened his eyes there was no one in the room, well except him kissing the pillow. He felt frustrated. He walked to the living room and found a cheerful Sungmin watching TV holding her pink bunny. Her eyes shifted from TV to Kyuhyun and suddenly a pure anger could be seen in those innocent eyes. She furiously threw the pink bunny at him. As Kyuhyun removed his hands that shieded him, his eyes were now fixed on the pink bunny lying on the floor. It looked like it had been abandoned. He picked it up and placed it on the couch. He went to the kitchen and saw a familiar figure. Sungmin was cutting vegetables with her back facing Kyuhyun. Kyu could already feel that it was only his imagination; still he could not help holding Sungmin in his arms. As he tried to touch her, Sungmin turned around slowly. The sight in front of him broke his heart. Sungmin’s beautiful big brown eyes that he adored so much were swollen as if from crying too much. The never-ending tears that wetted her pink cheeks now started to wash away her very existence. Kyu stood there in pain. He missed her so much. He wanted to hold her in his arms so bad and say it was going to be alright. But there was nothing he could do. He was the one who had broken her heart. He was the reason for those tears.  

Kyu knew he had to find her. He had to ask for forgiveness. He had to see her at least once. He hoped they could be together once again. 

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? GET OUT! YOU SCUM!”  

“I am just here to know if you guys know where Sungmin is.”  

“YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO SAY HER NAME AFTER WHAT YOU DID TO HER! Heechul then calmed down, gave her evil smirk and added “Aren’t you a cruel little bastard? 

Let’s talk outside.” Leeteuk said and went outside. Kyu followed her. 

“I know I have no right to be here but please Leeteuk-ssi I have to know where Sungmin is. I know what I did was wrong. I need to ask for her forgiveness.” 

Leeteuk replied reluctantly, “First of all, we don’t know where Sungmin is. She did not say where she was going and second even if we knew do you think we’ll tell you? You are only going to hurt her more.  

“But, I just wan- 

Leeteuk cut off Kyuhyun in the middle and continued, “It will better if you leave her alone. If you love her, then, let her come to you when she is ready”. Leeteuk was about to go inside but she turned around and SLAP “This is for cheating on our Minnie” Leeteuk gave her dimple smile which now had the aura of Heechul’s evil smirk. 

Kyuhyun knew it was his fault. He deserved to be treated like that and even worse. No matter how hard he tried, he could not find Sungmin. He missed her so much. Even after trying so hard when he could not find her, he tried to find her replacements. Of course no one could make him feel the way Sungmin did. From then he had countless number of girlfriends, changing every month or even weeks.  

 

5 years later~ 

Kyuhyun had a business trip to Macitee. It was a beautiful place. The sea was breathtakingly beautiful. 

A nice view of the sea could be seen from the hotel’s balcony however it was neglected by the figures on the bed that were too busy having their little fun. Their presentation was scheduled for Monday and then there was a conference on Thursday where the final decision would be announced and they would go back to Seoul. So, they had a lot of free time on their hands.  

After their little fun, Kyu and his girlfriend or more precisely his secretary went to look around the town. They went to a boutique. While his secretary was looking at the dresses, Kyuhyun looked around but froze when he looked outside the window. Sungmin was coming towards him running pass the fast moving vehicles. After Sungmin was out of his sight, he came back to his senses. May be he was just hallucinating or may be.. Just to make sure, he went out and looked around. BROOM! A sound of bike taking off, horns honking, noise from the people could be heard. But none of their face was familiar - there was no Sungmin. 

Later that day when walking up to a corner, he thought he heard Sungmin’s sweet voice which had been haunting him since the day he received that voicemail. He quickly ran up to the corner but as he turned the corner there was no one there except for a monkey looking man coming out of a CD store. “Hey, I’m telling you guys, this is also an art.” The man said raising the CD all the while giving a gummy smile. Then, he quickly darted out the store bumping on Kyuhyun. The man gave a quick bow as a gesture of apology and ran off.  “Are you okay?” His secretary asked him as soon as she caught up with him. Kyuhyun grimly said, “Yeah, I’m fine. Let’s just go back to hotel” 

Was he okay? No, he wasn’t –not in the least. Today he had been restless. He could not understand why he was feeling this way. Why he was missing Sungmin today more than ever? Why, why, why??? 

It was Monday. He was going to the venue for the presentation. He had finished checking the slides and was content with it. The traffic light turned red and the driver slowed down. Kyu opened the car’s window to clear his mind. Again, there was Sungmin inside a café reading a book. A scary looking man was walking towards her. She sipped her cappuccino and what happened after that, made Kyu’s heart DROP from its place. The guy kissed her. He kissed her pink lips that only belonged to him. And Sungmin was not even trying to push him off. After their kiss, he saw a small smile on her face and she held the hands of that JERK!This all happened in a couple of minutes but to Kyu it seemed like a very, very long time. “Kyuhyun, come on we are going to be late!” His secretary shook him. Kyu came out of his trance. The car had already arrived at the venue and they were getting late for the presentation. 

Kyuhyun was now back at the hotel. The scene from earlier kept on playing in his mind. He walked towards her and kissed her. He kissed Sungmin and she smiled- the smile that was only meant for him. He pushed the girl laying kisses on his body and went to the balcony. He could not remember anything from that day except for the scene that repeatedly played on his mind as if someone had kept it in a loop. He did not know how he reached the venue, how he gave the presentation, how he came back to hotel and how he was standing there on the balcony looking out at the black sea.  

He could only remember Sungmin. Yes, he saw Sungmin today. Then, as a lightning he realized he has found Sungmin. After 5 years, he has finally found Sungmin. He felt happy but the happiness did not last long when the scene again played in his mind. What should he do? Should he forget her or should he confront her? Again, the scene replayed in his mind. Sungmin smiled. She was genuinely happy. She was happy with that man. She used to be happy with him. If they forget the affair, they both could be happy. If she forgave her and returned to him, they both could be happy. She was happy with that man. Was she truly happy? Did she already forget about him and moved on or was she just pretending to be happy? HE HAD TO KNOW.  

The next day he went to the café. He asked the owner if he knew her. The owner gave a skeptic look. Only after Kyuhyun assured that he was her friend, the owner talked. Lucky for him, the man said Sungmin was a regular customer. He decided to wait for her. He had to see her, to make sure she was really happy, no just to see if she would return to him. After a while Sungmin came and took her regular seat and ordered the cappuccino. She was reading her book when she heard foot steps coming closer to her. She smiled and looked up but the smile soon faded away. Standing in front of her was not Choi Seunghyun, the man she was expecting but Cho Kyuhyun, the man she never wanted to see again. Soon tears were forming in her beautiful big brown eyes and making her vision unclear. “Don’t come closer!” she whispered as she held her tears. “Min, I’m sorry. Please forgive me” Kyuhyun said softly and took one step closer. “I SAID DON’T COME CLOSER!” Everyone around started to look at them. She pushed Kyuhyun and ran outside the door. She bumped onto someone. “Hey, what’s the matter Minie?” She looked up when she heard her name. It was Seunghyun and all the tears she had hold back started flowing. He hugged her and she sobbed in his chest. After few minutes staying in that position, he took her hands and said “Let’s go”. He then put her on the bike and drove off.  

Kyuhyun had been standing there watching Sungmin cry into the chest of another man. In his mind he was still confused about what to do. Nevertheless, he decided to follow the couple in his car. 

 

Seunghyun had brought Sungmin to the park – her favorite place. The cherry blossoms in their full bloom were welcoming the visitors. The couple sat under the tree. The girl rested her head on the guy’s shoulder with her eyes closed. The guy stayed her head. After few more minutes of silence she spoke softly, “He’s back”.  

He stopped her head, put his hands on her cheeks, wiped away the remaining tears with his thumb, deeply looked into her eyes and said “Should I go and beat him up?”  

Sungmin blinked her eyes while the guy looked down at his failed attempt of making a joke. Soon, Sungmin smiled and saidThat’s ok. I don’t think he will be able to handle your fierce punches!”  Seunghyun looked at Sungmin “Yeah, you are right! Nobody can stand against the mighty TOP”and both bursted out laughing. After the laughter had subsided, there was an awkward silence between them then the guy spoke hesitantly, “Umm, Sungmin do you still love him?” Sungmin stayed quiet for a second, took a deep breath and said, “My heart still squeezes at his name so it is true that he has not left my heart completely. A part of it still has not been able to forget him but it is also true that whenever I hear your name, Choi Seunghyun there is this calmness and rush in my heart at the same time, the feeling that I can’t describe quite clearly. Let’s just say when I hear your name I can’t stop smiling. You give me feelings that I can’t describe but that I love. I love you, Choi Seunghyun – only you.” She then stole a kiss from the guy and blushed a shade of light pink. And now it was his turn. “I think we can together work on the part that still aches at his name.” Then, he kissed her lips ever so gently. After breaking the kiss, he looked into her eyes and said, “I love you, Lee Sungmin but not only you.” He quickly kissed her again and when she opened to protest he deepened the kiss.  

Kyuhyun had been watching the couple. He saw how quickly the man made Sungmin smile and laugh. But he could not look at them kissing, so he left the park. Sungmin was happy and did not look like she will be returning to him. He then quickened his pace and walked towards the car.