All I need is You

All I need is You

Everyone knew that Jackson Wang was not the brightest bulb. Sure, he was smart enough to pass but he was never smart enough to get into the top 10 of his class. He was always either at or near the middle, or he was almost at the bottom. There was nothing in between. But Jackson was a great fencer. Before he had moved to Korea, he was on Hong Kong’s national fencing team. He had no concerns about graduating at first, seeing that he was able to pass all his subjects. But his biggest concern showed up. And that is, math.

He’s not going to talk about his Korean, because he honestly thinks he’s good enough in the subject (because he could pass the subject). Now his math, however, he could not pass. He was fine in the first year of high school, but he started getting worse at it when he hit the middle of his second year of high school. He started off great at the start of the year, but his marks started getting worse until he finally couldn’t pass it, and it unfortunately carried on until his third year in high school. Now his third year of high school was the most important, because he was in the graduating year. And frankly, he was scared to death about his math.

Jackson wouldn’t be complaining if he could cope with the stress of failing math, but he couldn’t. Not with his insensitive bastard of a friend, Jungmin.  Now, he and Jungmin were actually pretty cool with each other, but the guy could be pretty insensitive sometimes. He would tease Jackson about not having a future, just because he failed his math, while his other friend, Mark, would always tell Jungmin to stop joking about it because joking about someone’s future in a bad way was not the most considerate thing ever because some people could be really easily convinced. Jackson was fine with it at first, telling Mark that it was fine, and even joked around with Jungmin but as Jungmin’s teasing continued on, Jackson found himself actually believing what Jungmin says. He started getting more stressed and depressed about his failing of math.

And of course Mark noticed this. He got even more serious on trying to stop Jungmin’s teasing, telling him to have the least bit of consideration, and this time, Jackson didn’t even try to stop him. Jackson would just stare at Jungmin, a stare that just basically shouted the despair Jackson was experiencing because he actually believed what Jungmin was saying. And when Mark knew he couldn’t do anything about Jackson’s depression, he turned to Jackson’s boyfriend for help on cheering his friend up.

 

Choi Youngjae was basically most intelligent student in the school. He always got straight A’s, he always strived for better results and he was headstrong. When he set a goal on something, he didn’t stop until he has achieved it. Youngjae also had a great personality. He was kind and approachable, and when you get to know him, he’s funny and very very caring, though a little bit sassy at the side. And Youngjae was also Jackson’s boyfriend.

When Youngjae heard news form Mark that Jackson started to get quite depressed about his math, his heart dropped a little because he had never heard of his always-happy always-confident boyfriend getting anything relatively close to sad, more over depressed. Of course, he found it hard to believe at first, because Jackson? Depressed? It just didn’t fit. But whenever lunch came and he spent time with his boyfriend, he saw that he was actually troubled over something and he knew just right there and then that Mark was telling the truth. So, when he was over at his boyfriend’s house that weekend, he decided to cheer Jackson up and also encourage him.

 

“Hey, hyung?” Youngjae said as he tilted his head up from where it was, on Jackson’s chest, to look at Jackson. “Hmm, what is it, Jae?” Jackson asked as he tore his eyes away from the television screen to look at the younger male. “You know that you can tell me anything, right?” Youngjae started, and Jackson stared at him for a while, before muttering an ‘of course’. “So, tell me, what has been troubling you?” Youngjae asked and Jackson just stared at him for a while before looking away. “It’s nothing…” Jackson said, avoiding eye contact. “Tell me, is it about your math?” Youngjae said and Jackson snapped his head to look at the younger male. “How did you-" “Mark hyung told me, and I can see the troubled look in your eyes, hyung. You never have that look.” Youngjae cut him off and Jackson looked away once more. “So, why didn’t you tell me anything, hyung?” Youngjae asked and sat up, staring at his boyfriend. Jackson muttered something, which Youngjae couldn’t catch. “What? Hyung I can’t hear you.” Youngjae said. “Because I didn’t want you to see that I’m actually really stupid because you’re actually really smart, Jae. I didn’t want you to think that I wasn’t good enough, because I honestly think I’m not…” Jackson said, sitting up as well and looking down to his lap.
 

Youngjae stared.
 

Jackson really thought that he wasn’t good enough? Just because of his math? That’s absurd!

Youngjae wrapped his arms around Jackson, rubbing his back soothingly. “Oh, hyung… You were good enough for me, and you always will be.” Youngjae said and released the hug, then cradled Jackson’s face. “Hyung, look at me.” Youngjae said and Jackson looked up, revealing the tears that were already forming in his eyes. Youngjae gasped. It was this bad? “Jackson Wang Kayee. Math is not everything, you hear that?” Youngjae said firmly. “But everyone says it like it is everything…” Jackson said weakly. “Then don’t listen to them! Dear, math is not everything. Never was, never will. Unless, of course, you are interested in taking up a degree in engineering, which I am pretty sure you are not.” Youngjae said and Jackson nodded weakly. “You are failing only one subject, dear. It’s not like you’re failing everything. And I hear Jungmin’s been teasing you? Ignore that insensitive bastard then. I know you’re more interested in music and sports, dear. And I know that you want a profession related to either those two. Then focus on that more! And I’m not telling you to neglect everything else, no never anything like that. Just don’t focus on stuff you are not too passionate about too much, because if you do bad in it, you will feel stressed. Dear, it is never the end.” Youngjae finished, and Jackson already had tears streaming down his cheeks. “Thank you, Youngjae,” Jackson smiled, “that helped a lot.” Jackson said as he held onto Youngjae’s hand, which was on his face. “Anytime,” Youngjae returned, “you know I’ll always be there for you.” Youngjae said. Suddenly, Jackson kissed him. It was gentle and sweet, Youngjae’s favorite type of kisses. “I love you, so, so much.” Jackson smiled as he rested their foreheads together. “And I love you too.” Youngjae smiled back. Honestly, Jackson didn’t know why he was so worried in the first place. Because really, the only thing he needed was Youngjae, and he was happy.