The Ending

The Last Chu for Mr. Romeo
 
 

“Good! You’re so good Hoya!” Chorong hollers as he swiftly walks pass by her.

“It’s a big success, thanks to you, Howon!” Han sonsengnim praises him when he meets her on the way.

“Lucky bastard!” Both Dongjun and Kyungjae snort and smack his back (intentionally hard) in the middle of his rush step.

And there’s still many more coming in every step Hoya takes to get her—his Juliet who apparently turns into runaway Snow White—wherever she is now. He responds all of them dismissively, eyes looking everywhere and face looks baffled.

She did kiss him, right? That means something, right?

Lee Howon is too caught up with so many emotions inside him. He wants to laugh at his pathetic self that can be easily shaken by one creature named Yoon Bomi, but it’s not the right time.

Find her—it’s his ultimate priority right now. But where?

“Oh, sorry,”

He collides into someone in the empty hallway and half expects it’s the one he’s been searching for. Instead of Bomi standing in front of him, a nice, lovely girl looks apologetic at him. Choi Junhee—he remembers this girl hangs around Bomi and Jihoon lately, mostly at lunch.

“That was a spectacular show, Lee Howon-ssi. You did well.”

“Ah, thank you.” Hoya gives her a wary smile (spectacular and doing well for ruining the play, actually, but who cares? The plot itself already distorted at the very start). “Did you, by any chance, see Bo-Bomi?” His face flushes red when stuttering the name, and seeing how Junhee gawks at him, he’s sure he takes back the title of ‘Dumb Hoya’ once again.

Junhee’s lips stretched widely. “I don’t know you can be this cute, Lee Howon.” She giggles. “She’s alone at the third floor balcony.”

Hoya doesn’t mind looking cute in front of Choi Junhee if that means he can meet Bomi sooner. He almost flies right away without telling her his gratitude (so rude, I know) but then Junhee’s voice restrains him for doing so.

“Uhm, by the way, did you see Jihoon on your way here?”

Pyo Jihoon. Hoya still holds a strong dislike toward that tall, intimidating guy, but this girl here has kindly helped him and Hoya thinks he can pay her back with some information she needs.

“I’m not quite sure, I think I saw him still on the backstage moments ago.” Looking scary trying to murder me. Luckily his voice doesn’t shake and his brain works normally to the result Lee Howon doesn’t look near a coward or intimidated nerd.

They thank each other before parting ways. His step is much more lighter now, he feels like flying in the cloud nine.

The balcony is dark, the only light there is reflection of the lamps from the stage below, and Bomi’s standing near the rail creates a beautiful silhouette Hoya can’t stop admiring. He creeps quietly, nearing her back. He’s too nervous to produce even a mere cough and ends up coming right next to her and scaring the hell out of her.

“Oh my God please I don’t need a second heart attack in the little of time!” Bomi squeals, jumps from her spot looking utterly terrified.

He should apologize, Hoya knows, but instead saying sorry, I don’t mean to scare you, these words are the one he’s voicing out instead, “What heart attack? Are you sick?”

Well, welcome back, Dumb Hoya, we miss you so much. The image of Woohyun’s sarcastic remark is immediately being played on his mind, it’s a tough luck that so-called best friend of him isn’t here to witness Hoya’s idiotic self makes a grand comeback.

Even in the dim lighting, her blush is easily seen by him. Why do I find your flushed face is adorable? I don’t think it’s good for my heart too, Yoon Bomi.

“N-n-no, it’s nothing.” Bomi stammers, taking a few steps back. “Wh-Why are you he-here, by the way, Hoya?”

“I,” To be honest, he himself doesn’t have a certain answer for her question. “I’ve been looking for you.”

“Well, I need to breathe a fresh air.” She gives him a weird smile.

“You ran away.”

The air suddenly thickens around them, the soft wind Hoya feels moment ago is gone. They get frozen on their spot staring at each other like a still frame. Bomi ducks down her head and fumbles with her fingers, avoiding his intense gaze.

“I’m sorry.” She sounds breathless. Her sudden apology gets him taken aback as Hoya creases his forehead in wonder. Although she doesn’t see the ugly expression he makes, she adds as if she knows exactly what’s on his mind. “Sorry for recklessly kis-kissing you last time.” Her voice trembles. She instantly brings her hands to cover her face in embarrassment.

Hoya stretches his arm out to touch her hand but then Bomi lets out a low murmur.

“I’m sorry, I promise that was the last time.”

Hoya scowls. “What?”

Bomi still buries her face in her hands.

“What do you mean last time, Bomi-ah?” Lee Howon can’t hide the impatient and irritated tone in his voice.

“It’s, uhh, me.. mm..” But Bomi’s answer is hard to catch and Hoya bravely pries her hands off her face. She looks surprised and ready to set more distant, but he holds her still in her place.

“Do you mean the kiss?” The redness on her face darkens. “Or do you mean liking me?” Hoya takes a step closer and is aware of their body share the same heat now. “If anything, I don’t want you to stop doing either those two, Bomi-ah.”

Hoya thanks God he can muster his manliest voice without stuttering saying pretty thing like that (you don’t know but the loud thumping of his heartbeat does weaken his knees).

Bomi’s cheeks turn into crimson pink, look so lovely, and she can’t seem to take her eyes off of his. They lock gaze to study each other’s out. It’s when Bomi wets her dry lip with her tongue unconsciously that gets Hoya dip his face and close the gap between them.

It almost feels surreal—how her lips are so soft and sweet and their heavy breaths match with each other.

 

 

In the distant, Hoya hears a faint sound of camera shutter.

 

*

They come hand in hand to the dance room and make everyone turn their head at them. At first it’s eerily quiet before a certain someone begins to cheer loudly and then it’s official that the Ho-Mi fever is back.

People just accept it wholeheartedly—no more sneers or whistles, even when Hoya and Bomi sway their body together to the slow song. Hoya is still in daze realizing how just fit her hands in his and how in rhythm their body rock back and forth when through his peripheral version he catches the glimpse of the tall, intimidating guy partnered with a figure Hoya seems to recognize.

“Look at that jerk.” He mutters under his breath, whispering lowly to Bomi’s ear. She crooks her neck to take a look, and instead of the same anger Hoya expects her to show, Bomi only grins mischievously.

“Don’t hate him too much.” Her soft voice gets him narrow his eyes in suspicion. “Jihoonie just wanted to show off to Junhee, hoping the girl would see him as a cool guy—as I quote from him.”

“Re-really? Bu, but, I-I thought he had feeling for you?” Hoya feels small out of sudden.

“Well,” Bomi sighs, as a light color of pink creeps onto her cheeks again (and those blushing color really suit her well). “He’s kind of taking advantage of, uhm, you, be-because he said you needed much push for realizing how you feel.”

“Oh God.” Hoya’s face is all red, and he’s sure he’s nothing near cute. “God!” He whispers again, thinking it will be inappropriate to curse in front of such beauty like Bomi.

“Hey, hey,” Her hand searches for his face. “Hey, it’s okay.” Her long, pretty fingers trail delicately around his cheek and somehow it sends warmth and calmness to him. He lowers his head and looks at her straight in the eyes and seeing her assuring smile, Hoya can’t help but smiling too.

“Sorry for being an idiot.” He confesses, sincerely regrets his past action (and grudge and his signature dumbness) but she shakes her head in disagreement.

“Don’t be.” Bomi whispers. “Well, maybe someone considers that as your charm and makes her fall for you?”

Hoya can’t help smiling for the rest of the night (and for the next day, and the next week, and keeps going on) even when he hears the sound of camera shutter (snap!) and a blinding light flashing at him (and Bomi) and the ugly laughter from Namtard (you should see how wide his grin is, he’s so sick, man!).

Lee Howon is being Romeo, and for his further delight, he also gets his Juliet—alive, breathing beautifully—who is quite fond of his dumbness.

Happy ending doesn’t always exist in fairy tale only.

 



end.