Chapter 22

The Ring Bearer

There was a shift in the nightmare. I was still running down an eerie hallway, and I kept throwing glances over my shoulders because I knew that something was chasing me, but there was no light in the distance. No, instead, the light was directly in front of me in the shape of an orb as if it were trying to guide me out of the hallway safely. It didn't really seem to do much, since I still ran into the dead end I'd seen in my previous nightmare, but this one was different. My hands were desperately roaming over the wall as if to find a doorhandle or something.

The light, which had been shining brightly as it led me down the hallway, projected large shadows that came from down the hall, and after staring at it for a few moments, I had turned back to the wall and pounded on it with my fists, tears dripping onto my shirt as I looked behind me desperately. There was something coming, and I didn't need the light to know it. I didn't knoww where I was or what I was doing in such a terrifying place, but my eyes had noticed something on the wall. A portrait, and next to it was another portrait, and more portraits sat on the wall beside it. 

I was sure I had never been in that hallway before, but the portraits seemed to be oddly familiar to me. Before I could make my way over to the portait, however, my eyes landed on another door. Like from the other nightmare I had, I walked right into the room and shut the door behind me, pressing myself against the door to make it seem like I had either disappeared or gone somewhere else. I couldn't hear what sound was coming from the other side of the door, but whatever it was, it had me terrified.

My eyes shut tightly, then, because I knew what was coming next. Something was going to grab me, I was going to scream, and the mages would wake me up because I'm just so goddamn loud. I waited, and I waited, and I waited, but nothing happened. Surprised and suspicious, I looked over my shoulder at the room that was supposed to be so dark I could barely see myself. The floating light made it seem less terrifying, but at the same time, I was faced with another kind of horror.

Because there, in the middle of the room, sat a pillar. It wasn't one that reached from the ground to the ceiling, but one that stopped halfway up from the ground, and had a flat surface used to display artifacts. 

The worst part about the artifact on the pillar was that it was an open ring box.

Open...? Open? Open?! OPEN! The ring box was opened, and then I had run over to the pillar to look at the box, pulling it into my hand to see if it was what I was dreading for it to be, and it was. The silver EXO lettering was shining with the aid of the orb's light. The worst part about the ring box was that it was empty. Empty, as in the ring was gone and I had no idea where it could have gone. 

My eyes darted around the room, and only then did the true horror of the nightmare begin to show. Objects had lifted off the ground; chairs, desks, books, sharp writing utensils and other objects as well, and after another moment of tension, they were all hurling themselves at me. 

When I opened my eyes, I found that I was looking up at a darkened sky, with the tree's leaves blocking just a portion of the moon's brilliance from my sight. Slowly, I sat up and looked around me, my eyes narrowing in slight worry as I saw the other mages had been sleeping around me, with Jongin's head still resting on my lap. Both Tao and Sehun were resting with their own heads against Jongin's lap, and a little further away, Suho, Xiumin, and Yixing were sleeping, laid down on the ground with their chests moving just slightly. Passing my gaze over them, I saw that Chen and Chanyeol had sprawled out on the ground like starfish, loud snores coming from their direction.

They all looked so peaceful that I couldn't help but laugh, shaking my head and wondering if they were all actually comfortable after sleeping on the ground like that. The happiness was short lived, as I found myself replaying the nightmare in my head. What had caused for it to change the way it did? Why did it feel as though I was being attacked by whoever I was looking for? Why was the ring box empty, and where had the ring gone? To me, there was a question that was almost more important than what happened to the ring. Why did that hallway looked so familiar to me?

"Yun Seung?" When I looked over, Tao had just gotten to an upright position with one hand messing with his hair and his other barely covering a yawn, his eyes narrowed slightly as if to make sure it really was me, "Why- why are you awake?"

Unlike the last time I had the nightmare, this time, I wasn't freaking out. I had a feeling I only hadn't freaked out because of the fact that the mages were all next to me, and I felt some odd sort of peace whenever I was around them. Tao was starting to lay down again, and though I wanted him to sleep, I leaned forward and put a hand on his shoulder, "Can you help me bring them inside?"

"Why bother?" he groaned in exhaustion, but he shook Sehun awake and pushed him onto his feet. Sehun took a moment to realize what was happening and then went over to where Suho, Xiumin and Yixing were sleeping, waking them all up. Tao, after groaning again in irritance, had gone over and nudged Chanyeol and Chen. When neither of the childish mages opened their eyes, Tao grinned a little wickedly and kicked at them.

The mages were more concerned about why they had gone to sleep outside than why their clothes were rumpled after Tao kicked them, and went into the house without sparing us another glance. The other mages quickly filed in after me, and after taking in a deep breath, I realized that not everyone had left.

"Took you long enough." Jongin's eyes were closed as he spoke and he didn't shift from his spot, "I've been awake since the moment you sat up." 

He didn't wait for me to explain and sat up slowly, reaching out to ruffle my hair with just one of his eyes opened, "Go get some sleep, and don't forget that we're all here for you."

Having said that, the mage of teleportation stood up and walked back into the house, finally leaving me alone to my thoughts. I was a little worried that the nightmare would lead to more sleepless nights like the last one did, and there was a constant wondering of what I had seen swimming in my mind. I had no idea of where it even took place, and that's what worried me the most. I should have looked for the map to figure it out, I realized, but the map was with Suho and I didn't want to disturb him at night for something so petty.

It took some time to get back to my room, since the nightmare continued to play in my head and thus made me afraid of evey single thing I had seen. I thought of walking up the stairs with my eyes closed, but I didn't think Yixing would be pleased in knowing I needed to be healed again and so soon. When I had gotten to my room, there was a figure outside of my door, and since my mind was spooked out, I immediately pulled out one of my pistols and aimed it at the figure.

Hearing my footsteps, the figure looked up, and I froze instantly as I saw Tao's eyes widening at me in surprise and slight fear. I didn't know why he was sitting in my room and just after I'd seen him, too, but his slouched shoulders had me put my pistols away immediately and get onto the ground before him.

"What's wrong?" He wasn't crying, but there was a certain spark of distress that was in his eyes that caught me completely off guard.

"Something feels off. I don't know what it is, but something's wrong." He put a hand on his chest and began rubbing it back and forth, "I was sleeping and then I heard someone's voice, and then I woke up and there you were. Something happened."

"Who's voice, Tao? What happened?" I was getting increasingly worried as panic welled in Tao's eyes. He shook his head as if he were going crazy and then clutched at his hair with his hands.

"I don't know- it was distorted and angry. I don't know, Yun Seung, but I'm terrified." My heart broke as I watched him, because Tao was crumbling and I didn't know how to help him. I slowly leaned forward and gently took his hands in mine, pulling them off his head. He didn't flinch, or protest, just waited for me to pull him out of his trauma.

"I had the nightmare again tonight." Tao's eyes snapped up to me so quickly that I almost smiled at him; because no matter what he was going through, he was always there for me, "So I agree, something is wrong."

His eyes seemed to search mine for a few moments, a mix of desperation and worry filling them, "What do we do, Yun Seung?"

"For now, we should sleep." I stood up and opened my bedroom door, one hand grasping at Tao's and tugging him up "Staying up will do us no good."

"I agree." that was Suho's voice ringing from next door, and Tao and I shared a sheepish grin before parting ways and going to bed. 

Part of me was relieved I wasn't having that nightmare again, relieved that I was outside with the sun shining and the birds flying overhead as the nine of us stood there. The rest of me, however, was horribly exhausted because I had just dealt with such a terrifying nightmare and wasn't really ready to face the dream world again, no matter how... temptingly gorgeous it was.

We were standing before a collapsed Chapel, looking up at the stained glass that the powerful rays of light was being reflected through. Half of the building was standing, but we were on the grass, our bodies facing rubble and a nearly destroyed altar. The stain glass that was several meters above us was beautiful, intricate swirls and stars and other patterns feeding us with beauty- all except one spot.

At the center of the building's domed roof, where the building was soon going to collapse, there was a disruption in the color balance. Instead of the vivid purple I should have seen, it was a dark color, almost black. Black? Once I figured out what color it actually was, I shook my head in amusement, because of course the ring would be on top of a collapsing building's roof. 

Chanyeol was trying to scale up the side of the building that hadn't been caving in on itself, and I watched in open-mouthed horror as the area his hands touched shattered, and the rest of the building shook on its foundation. If I didn't get to the ring within the next few moments, it would be buried underneath all the rubbish, and would I be able to find it should that happen?

How could I stop it? My mind went back to when I had destroyed the target during training and used Yixing's power in order to reverse the damage that had been done. Healing a building as big as the one in front of me? That was impossible, wasn't it? Plus, what if it was only able to heal damage caused by the other mages' powers? I was panicking again, wishing for some sort of solution, when suddenly a yellow-orange gold hue covered us, and as we watched on, the building was restored to its prime.

From there on, it had gotten quite simple. Using Chanyeol's height, I had found some stones on the sides of the building and used them to climb up to the dome, falling onto my stomach and taking deep breaths afterwards because sheesh, that was a workout. After a moment or two of trying to regain my lost sanity and breath, I crawled up the side of the dome and surely enough, at the center of the dome's roof, sat the black ring box with the silver lettering of EXO adorning it. My feet slipped, then, and I found myself groaning mentally as I rolled down the dome to what I could tell would be a fun period of being fussed over by Yixing while being scolded by Suho.

Except that instead of meeting with grass and awkward body positions, I was met with the wooden floor and shouts from outside my room. One voice stood out very well, and I realized it was a very angry Sehun, "Get back here with my toothbrush, hyung!"

"So angry in the morning, baby!" Chanyeol's deep voice was riddled with mischief and I groaned as I laid on the ground in pain, my hands flying in front of me to break my fall.

"Can you keep it down? I'm trying to sleep!" I never expected Xiumin's voice to sound so full of frustration, since the eldest mage was always so full of youth.

"If you're sleeping then why are you answering?" Well, expect Chen to use his sass so early in the morning when everyone but himself, Chanyeol, and apparently Sehun were actually awake.

"Chen, I will gladly aid Jongin if he attempts to murder you." I never expected it from Yixing, either, since he was always so quiet and sweet.

With a roll of my eyes and a sour mood, I stood up and walked over to the door to stop their bickering. However, I stopped at the door when I realized something was really off. When I looked down at myself, I was appalled to see I was soaking wet from head to toe. How they had gotten to me while I was sleeping was beyond me, but I was really going for the kill.

Yanking the door open and taking a deep breath at the same time, I walked out into the hallway where all eight mages stood and stared at me with wide and frightened eyes, but my focus was on the trouble making pair that was currently inching towards the staircase and their escape.

"Chanyeol! Chen! I'm going to kill you!" And like that, I had chased after the two, and the two mages were running for their lives.

In the end, it took Suho, Xiumin, and Yixing to calm me down by pushing me onto a chair and refusing to let me go after the mages I was still upset with. Chanyeol and Chen sat in the corner and stared at me, huddled together as if they had been fighting a wildabeast. Jongin was standing in front of the pair with his back towards me, though I knew he was amused and grateful I had stepped in before he could. Sehun and Tao had been laughing at the trouble makers ever since I had started chasing them and were then collapsed on the couch, and it was only then that I remembered.

"Crap, I forgot about Baekhyun!"


 

Hey guys! So I got a bunch done in this chapter. A nightmare, a dream introduction, and some relaxed scenes between Yun Seung and the mage, and it only took about 2,600 words! Yesterday, I asked you guys if you would rather have Baekhyun and D.O. first, and I wasn't surprised to see that most of you voted Baekhyun. He was one of the more sought after mages ever since the beginning. I was surprised at the difference between the numbers, though. There were eight votes for Baekhyun while D.O. only had four. Are you that eager to have the rest of the beagle line reunited? Even after reading this chapter? 

I once again apologize for the short interaction between the other mages and Yun Seung in this chapter. Most of it was about the dreams, and then I decided that in each chapter, she's going to be getting closer to a specific mage. One chapter was for Kai, one was for Chen (though it wasn't very long), one for Chanyeol (that was too long), one for Sehun, and one for Tao. There are too many EXO members to pack them all into one 2,600 word chapter, sorry. 

For today's update, this is my question; which mage should be the next for her to get close to? Your options are Xiumin, Suho, and Lay. I'd add Baekhyun, but I'm sure he'll be too busy causing trouble the next chapter. 

And ohmychicken. It's weird for me to admit it, but I had goosebumps as I wrote the nightmare. I don't know why, don't ask. I was just imagining it and it sounds terrifying- but it's better than it was the last time, I think. Plus Tao's nightmare, though he didn't describe it as such. I don't even know where I'm going with either of their nightmares yet, but I'm terrified and excited at the same time. What do you think?

As always, please read, subscribe, upvote, and comment! All of these are greatly appreciate and I always look forward to reading all your guys' feedback! One more thing- if you guys ever want to talk one on one whether it be about this story or about anything else, add me or just message me. I don't reject friend requests, and my wall is open for all! Well, that's all for now, so I hope you enjoy this chapter thoroughly, and have an absolutely wonderful day!