Final [1/1]

Dip me into sugar and make honey out of me

hello!! i'm still alive, everyone! take this little one-shot as a present and i can tell you that the Maze of Memories update is on its way too. I will definitely upload it before the month ends!

i randomly thought of that sentence this morning and then i wanted to make a story out of it so badly, so yeah, pretty much written in 4-5 hours. applaud me, just joking, leave me comments because i love them lots 3<

I MISS ALL OF YOU /throws hearts


/embarrassed

 


Dip me into sugar and make honey out of me

 

Sunggyu usually doesn’t take much interest in other things. He spends most his time in front of his computer at home or the laptop when he’s outside. He plays games or does his work. Sunggyu works as a freelance writer for magazines and newspapers, but he also writes on his own book from time to time. He knows it will never be published, because he will never find the courage to show it to someone, but the young man still keeps writing on it. Who knows – right? – maybe he will publish it someday.

There was a time he got stuck pretty badly at one point of the story. It bothered him so much that he couldn’t write for days. Sunggyu even went out to look for something inspiring and that was when he found it: his muse. He found a small café on that day, hidden in a little alley. At first he thought it must be a lousy place if it was hidden like that, but once he looked through the window, he noticed the beautiful interior. It was a mix of vintage style and cute little decorations. Some people were inside but it wasn’t too full. Sunggyu still doesn’t know why, but something about the place attracted him that day and he went inside.

The writer sighs shortly as he looks up from his laptop. He’s in said café right now – a place he has been to a lot the last weeks. Not too often – he hopes. Sunggyu has his table in the corner where he likes to sit, because he is half-hidden from the view of other customers but has full view of the little counter. It’s perfect for writing and…observing a certain someone. A smile stretches on his lips when he sees the young barista move behind the counter. His jet black hair is especially fluffy today and looks like he just woke up from a longer nap. Sunggyu wants to pet it and push his fingers through the dark locks. He sighs for the nth time.

Nam Woohyun, that’s the name of the cute barista who’s his muse and the reason Sunggyu always comes back here. The place is nice and cozy, and close to his home, but the barista is what draws him back again and again. They haven’t even talked much yet to be honest, except for the usual “What would you like to drink?” or “Do you want a piece of cake again?”. Woohyun bakes exceptionally good cakes and Sunggyu likes them all, but inside his head he dreams of eating the cake from Woohyun’s hands and fingers. He dreams of the barista a lot in general and it’s quite frustrating.

Why does he not approach Woohyun on the subject? Sunggyu doesn’t have the confidence because there is one really high hurdle between them: the barista has a boyfriend. The writer has seen him a couple of times already. When he comes in, Woohyun always shows a special smile that makes Sunggyu’s heart jump wildly. It’s a smile he only sees when that person comes in. The barista will walk around the counter for the other guy and they will fall into each other’s arms while laughing happily. At that point, Sunggyu usually settles for glaring at his screen and hammering the “A” key again and again for no reason. Sometimes he glances back to them and sees them talk, smile, laugh or the other person’s arm. They are cute and perfect for each other, the writer can see that. Woohyun’s boyfriend is taller than Sunggyu and he is better looking. He finds it unfair but there is nothing he can do. Although he takes quite some pride in his looks, he cannot compete with someone that looks like a model. Not to mention someone that makes Woohyun smile so widely.

Sunggyu looks back at his screen and tries to continue writing, but his eyes widen when he sees the last sentences.

I kissed his lips like a hungry wolf, devouring his everything and claiming his lips as mine. The sweet taste of chocolate cake filled my mouth and the dark-haired man moaned.

“Excuse me, sir-“ Sunggyu slams the laptop closed quickly and snaps his head around to see Woohyun at his table.

His cheeks become a little warm and the writer clears his throat. “Y-Yeah?”

Woohyun blinks. “I’m sorry, did I surprise you? I just wanted to ask if you want to have a piece of the chocolate cake I baked this morning?”

Chocolate cake! Why a god damn chocolate cake? All Sunggyu wants to taste is the chocolate cake on Woohyun’s tongue. He tries to keep his composure. “I…uh…no, not today.”

The barista’s smile falls for a second and he seems disappointed. “Oh…okay. Sorry for bothering you, sir.”

Woohyun is about to turn away when Sunggyu grabs his wrist suddenly. The barista gives him a surprised look and Sunggyu takes a second to admire how perfect the wrist feels inside his hand. He clears his throat again. “I changed my mind. Give me a piece and please…uh…call me Sunggyu. Sir is a little…”

The black-haired man smiles widely and it’s so close to the smile he gives his boyfriend that Sunggyu feels like he is staring right into the blazing sun. It’s so bright that he feels like the force alone will make him turn blind. “Okay, I will get you one then, Sunggyu…hyung. Please call me Woohyun.”

“But I guess you know my name…it’s on my nametag. Haha…” Woohyun blushes and laughs nervously. In return the writer feels his cheeks growing warm as well. Being called Sunggyu-hyung makes his heart do several flips at once.

“It’s a wonderful name.” Sunggyu blurts out and right afterwards wants to punch his own face. What are you saying to someone who’s got a boyfriend?!

Woohyun’s face becomes even redder. It makes the writer wonder if perhaps the younger man likes him too, but how would that be possible? He has a boyfriend already.

“I-I should go get the cake. Could you…?” Sunggyu follows his gaze and suddenly remembers that he is still holding the slim wrist.

“Oh! Sorry…” He lets go of it and the barista runs away. Sunggyu groans and opens his laptop again to delete the last sentences. He’s not a fujoshi for god’s sake! “Idiot! You’ve probably creeped him out with your awkwardness!”

Woohyun returns with the piece of cake on a plate all too soon and puts it down next to Sunggyu’s laptop. The writer avoids looking at him. “Thank you.”

“H-hyung?”

Sunggyu finally looks up from his screen. The barista is still standing next to his table with his hands folded and an almost shy look in his eyes. “I was wondering…what you’re always writing on. You always have your laptop with you whenever you visit.”

The writer blinks shortly and then rubs his nape nervously. Was Woohyun going to laugh and call him lame if he told the truth? “I…well…I work as a freelance writer.”

Woohyun’s eyes widen slightly. “Oh, really? So you’re writing for a magazine or something?”

“Yeah...mostly articles about music or fashion, but right now I’m working on my own thing. A book, you know.” Sunggyu doesn’t even know why he mentions that to the other. It’s embarrassing to announce it out loud when he will probably never release it.

“That’s amazing, hyung!” Woohyun smiles again and Sunggyu’s heart flutters inside his chest. “What’s the book about?”

He hesitates to answer because he thinks the story is really lame and he’s never really told anyone about it. The last thing he wants is for Woohyun to see him as even lamer as he probably already does. “Hyung? Am I bothering you? Should I leave?”

Sunggyu looks at the barista in surprise. “N-No! I was just…thinking. It’s nothing great. I’ve never talked about it to anyone.”

“Eh? Why? I’m sure it’s great!”

“How do you want to know that without reading it?” He gives back a little bitter, but Woohyun doesn’t seem to take it to heart.

The barista sits down opposite of him. “I just know it. I believe in you, hyung. Do you mind telling me? I’m a good listener!”

“Don’t you have any customers to serve?” Sunggyu asks nervously.

Woohyun glances around the café. “There’s no one here besides us and my colleague. So, tell me? Please?”

He wipes his sweaty hands clean under the table and his lips shortly. Then Sunggyu starts telling the other about his book. He’s hesitant at first, but then he really gets into it and the writer tells Woohyun all kinds of stuff about his book. What the characters are like and about every little quirk they have, what he has planned for them so far and…how he has been writing on it for years, but it seems like it will never be finished.

“Sunggyu-hyung, don’t think so negative! You can finish it. I really want to read it when it’s done!” Woohyun tells him with an excited glint in his eyes. It’s hard to doubt his words when he looks at Sunggyu like that.

He rubs his nape again. “Thanks…it feels good to talk to someone about it.”

The barista chuckles. “You were really passionate about your story just now, hyung. Have faith in yourself. As long as you are passionate about your own work, you will be able to make others fall in love with it!”

What about you? How can I make you fall in love with me? Sunggyu nods shortly and gives the other man a smile. He feels a little more confident now after talking to Woohyun and somehow he wants to finish the book now. He wants to show it to Woohyun when it’s done and maybe…maybe his feelings will come across to him. The writer knows that he doesn’t have a chance at getting Woohyun, but it doesn’t hurt to try, right?

“I will show it to you then…when it’s finished.”

Woohyun smiles widely. “Really? I want to be the first one to read it, hyung! And if you ever get stuck and need someone to talk to, I’m here. I’ll be the first official member of your fan club.”

Sunggyu blushes. “Fan club? I doubt I’ll have one-“

“Well, now you have one! I need to secure the rights before you release the book, because you’re going to hit big, hyung!” The barista laughs happily.

He wonders how the younger man can have so much faith in him, but it feels really good. It’s nice to have someone support you. Sunggyu feels like he can really finish it and make it a good book if Woohyun believes in him. He smiles widely. “Thank you…really. Actually, you are-“

-my muse and I’m in love with you. The doorbell interrupts him before he can say those words. In walks his nightmare: Woohyun’s boyfriend. “Woohyunnie!”

The barista stands up from his seat. “Myung!”

He gives Sunggyu a short glance. “Good luck on your book, hyung. I have to-“

“I know. It’s okay…just go.” Sunggyu interrupts him and stubbornly fixes his gaze on the laptop screen, typing down random words to look busy. He doesn’t want to hear that Woohyun needs to take care of his boyfriend and he certainly doesn’t want to get to know him.

Woohyun doesn’t move for a moment but then the shadow next to the table disappears. Sunggyu sighs and glances at them shortly. They hug – like always – and then move to the counter. The writer looks back to his screen. Why is he writing a book about one-sided love again? Fate is too cruel with him.

‘How can I make her fall for me?’, Andrew wondered as he looked at Stacey across the room. ‘If only you would look at me like you look at him.’

“I know, Andrew, I know…” Sunggyu mutters. Maybe if his character gets a happy ending, he can get one too?

He tries a piece of the chocolate cake and frowns shortly. Never has chocolate tasted so bittersweet.




Sunggyu avoids the café for a few days and just sits at home, writing on his book. The words just seem to flow out of his fingers and the story moves along smoothly. He wishes his life would move along that smoothly. The writer has to stop writing eventually when his workload increases dramatically. He’s busy just writing articles and catching up with his games. Sometimes he even forgets to eat because he’s so busy. It’s a welcome distraction from Woohyun and the café. He isn’t confident in giving Andrew a happy ending when seeing Woohyun and his boyfriend will make him all miserable again.

He cannot avoid it forever, though. His heart misses Woohyun and he really wants to see the cute barista again. So Sunggyu packs his things into a bag and heads down the street towards the little café. He hums a song as he strolls inside but instead of Woohyun, there is an older man behind the counter. Sunggyu knows it’s the owner of the café but he rarely sees him standing in the front part of the café. “H-Hello.”

The writer cringes at his own awkward voice and sits down in his usual corner. Maybe Woohyun is working in the back? It would be weird to leave without ordering something. The old man comes over to his table after serving two young girls by the window. “What can I do for you?”

“I…uh…a banana mocha please.”

The owner nods and walks off to make it for him. Sunggyu opens his laptop and looks around shortly for another sign of Woohyun. He doesn’t remember ever going here and not seeing him. Maybe he took a leave today? Or he quit working here? Sunggyu groans. What is he going to do if his muse has disappeared without a trace? Didn’t Woohyun want to read his book?

The old man returns with his mocha while Sunggyu is engrossed in negative thoughts. “Your drink, sir. Do you need anything else? We got some special cupcakes since it’s Valentine’s Day today. Maybe you want to buy one for your girlfriend?”

Sunggyu blinks. Valentine’s Day? Is it the 14th February already? “I- no. I don’t have a girlfriend, but…uh…is Woohyun-ssi not working here today?”

“No, he took a leave.”

His heart sinks. So Woohyun really isn’t at the café today. Taking a leave on Valentine’s Day…that could only mean one thing: a date with his boyfriend. Sunggyu sighs.

“Actually, he’s not going to be here for another week. He’s sick and the doctor told him to stay home.” The owner adds suddenly.

Sunggyu’s eyes widen. “Sick? What does he have? Is it something serious? He’s okay, right?”

The old man smiles shortly. “It’s just a cold. You seem to be really worried about him. You are Sunggyu-ssi, right? Woohyun has talked about you a lot.”

“Y-Yeah. He talked about me?” Sunggyu can barely believe it.

“Yes, I understand that he seems to think of you as a very good friend. Actually, I have a request for you. I don’t know who else to ask.”

“A request?”

“Woohyun forgot his bag here when he left and now he can’t come and get it. I would bring it to him but I’m busy taking care of the shop alone.”

Sunggyu blinks again. “I don’t think I’m qualified to do that. I don’t even know where he lives-“

The old man takes his hands. “I can tell you the address. Please, Sunggyu-ssi. I know Woohyun trusts you, so I know you’re more than qualified.”

“I- but his boyfriend…? You should ask him…”

“Boyfriend? I don’t think he has one…” The owner replies.

Sunggyu stares at him. “B-But the handsome guy that always visits….Myung-something. Aren’t they…together?”

The other man suddenly laughs. “Oh, you mean Myungsoo? He’s Woohyun’s younger brother. I’ve been trying to reach his phone but he’s not answering my calls.”

His brother. Not his boyfriend. Myungsoo is Woohyun’s brother. Sunggyu wants to jump from his chair and kiss the old man. He closes his laptop quickly. “Where’s the house?”

“Are you going to bring it-“

“Yes! I’ll go! I’ll definitely go!” Woohyun doesn’t have a boyfriend! Sunggyu feels so relieved suddenly and he now that he is offered with this opportunity, he’s not going to reject it. It’s Valentine’s Day and his crush doesn’t have a boyfriend. Don’t be an idiot now and grab the chance, Sunggyu!

The owner chuckles. “Okay, wait here and I’ll get it.”

“A-Ahjussi, can you also pack me two cupcakes? You know…the Valentine’s Day ones…” The old man smiles and gives him a nod before walking away.

Sunggyu pushes the laptop into his bag and stands up, shifting on the spot until the owner comes back with two bags. He gives them to Sunggyu along with a note. “That’s his address. Good luck, young man.”

He feels his cheeks grow warm. “I…uh…thank you.”

“Have faith in yourself. Maybe he feels the same.” The old man gives him a wink and Sunggyu leaves the café in a hurry, his ears burning from the embarrassment he feels.




The writer stares at the door in front of him. Sunggyu takes a deep breath. “Okay, you can do it. Don’t be nervous. You’re just a friend coming over to bring a forgotten bag – for now.”

He rings the doorbell. “Woohyun-ssi?”

There’s a loud thud in the apartment and then urgent steps come closer to the door. Sunggyu fixes his hair in a last-minute try to look good for his crush. The door opens and his heart skips a beat. Woohyun looks terrible but also cute in a strange way with his hair standing in every direction. His eyes and nose are red, though. “S-Sunggyu-hyung?”

“Ah…yes…hello.”

“How do you know where I live?” The barista asks in confusion.

Sunggyu rubs his nape. “The owner told me your address. The old man that owns the café, I mean. He asked me to bring you your bag. You forgot it at work and it seemed important…”

Woohyun blinks. “A bag? I don’t think I left anything…”

The writer hands it over to him and Woohyun checks the content. The younger man laughs suddenly and he steps aside. “I see. Why don’t you come inside, hyung? It’s good to see you again. You weren’t at the café for a while and I missed you. I was starting to get worried.”

Sunggyu enters the small flat and looks around curiously. It’s smaller than his place but the whole flat just totally seems like Woohyun – cozy and cute. “Sorry for worrying you. I was busy with work.”

“Let’s go into the kitchen.” Woohyun tells him and walks ahead to the other room. He puts the bag on the little table and starts unpacking it.

The writer blinks in surprise when Woohyun pulls out two little boxes which seem like food containers. Woohyun smiles sheepishly at him. “I think the owner tricked you into bringing me porridge. I didn’t forget anything at his place.”

Sunggyu’s mouth forms an ‘O’. “Well, at least I didn’t come for nothing…haha…”

Woohyun smiles. “Do you want to eat with me, hyung? I’ll get two plates.”

The younger man doesn’t wait for his reply and hurries over to the cupboard to get two plates. Woohyun crouches down to get them out, but when he stands up, he sways dangerously. Sunggyu jumps to his side and catches him in time. “Yah! Be careful. You’re sick!”

“S-Sorry…” Woohyun mutters.

He helps the younger up but keeps a hand on his arm. Sunggyu puts the other one on his forehead to test the temperature. “You’re glowing. Why are you not in bed?”

“Well, you rang the doorbell and-“ He growls shortly and pulls Woohyun out of the kitchen.

“Hyung??”

The writer finds the bedroom eventually – the flat is not that big after all – and urges Woohyun to lie down in bed. “Get under the blanket and don’t move. I’ll get the food.”

“O-Okay…” Woohyun nods with a red face and Sunggyu wonders if he’s blushing or if it’s just the fever.

He walks back to the kitchen and opens the containers carefully. There is porridge in one and the other contains some bulgogi. Sunggyu smiles shortly and puts the food on the plates. He then grabs cutlery for the two of them and returns to the bedroom. Woohyun is still lying under the blanket like a good boy, though he seems to be dozing off.

“Woohyun-ah, wake up. You have to eat.” Sunggyu calls him affectionately as he sits down on the edge of the bed.

Woohyun blinks slowly and sits up straight. “Thank you, hyung. For coming over…and everything.”

“Anytime for you.” The older man replies honestly. It feels much easier to say such words now that he knows Woohyun doesn’t have a boyfriend. “It was a good excuse to visit you. I missed you too.”

The barista flushes. Sunggyu scoops up some porridge with the spoon and holds it to Woohyun’s lips. “Say ‘ah’~”

“I-I can eat by myschellff-“ His words get muffled by the spoon of porridge that is pushed into his open mouth.

“Let me feed you. I’ve wanted to do it for a while.” He pulls the spoon out and gathers some porridge again with the spoon.

Woohyun looks at him with wide eyes and he feeds the quiet barista another spoonful. Sunggyu smiles as he watches the younger man swallow the food. He reaches out to fix the strands of hair hanging over Woohyun’s face. “Cute.”

“H-Hyung? Why are you here?”

He hums shortly. “It’s Valentine’s Day. Where else would I be?”

Sunggyu pushes more porridge into his mouth before the younger man can ask another question. “We can talk later. First, you’ll finish the food.”

Woohyun purses his lips and the writer wants nothing more than to kiss the pout away. “Fine.”

He feeds Woohyun the whole porridge and then they share the bulgogi. The barista keeps his promise and doesn’t ask any further questions, though Sunggyu keeps on continuing with the little affectionate gestures like swiping left-over food away with his thumb or ruffling the hair he’s wanted to touch for so long. His confidence grows with every touch because Woohyun doesn’t reject any of them.

“Sunggyu-hyung, I-“ Woohyun starts when the last remains of the food are gone, but Sunggyu puts a finger against his lips.

“Wait. I’ll be back in a second, okay?” The writer stands up and takes the plates with him. He hurries back to the kitchen and leaves the plates on the table, before grabbing the other bag and bringing it to the bedroom.

“What’s that?” Woohyun asks curiously.

He pulls out two little boxes from the bag. The bottom is firm plastic but the top part is see-through like a glass hood. Inside is a little cupcake in the shape of a heart with cute decorations. There’s a little sticker on the box saying ‘Will you be my Valentine?’ and Woohyun stares at it wide-eyed. He takes one of the boxes from Sunggyu and turns it in his hand.

Sunggyu sits down again and smiles at the younger, taking one of his hands in between his. “Woohyun…I never had the courage to tell you, but I…I like you. A lot. Actually, I think I love you. I just watched you from afar for a while, because I was afraid that you had a boyfriend already. The owner told me that’s not the case, so I-I shamelessly took this chance to come over to your place. You’re my muse and the reason I started writing again, so please…please stay by my side and be my boyfriend.”

Woohyun is quiet for a moment and Sunggyu waits anxiously. The barista smiles after a while. “Didn’t I tell you I’m your fan club member number 1? There’s no one who loves you more than me.”

Sunggyu smiles widely and – without thinking – leans in to kiss the younger man. Woohyun’s lips are just as soft as they look and his heart flutters in delight when the barista kisses back. Their first kiss is slow and sweet but everything Sunggyu has ever wanted. He leans his forehead against Woohyun’s warm one. “I’m an idiot for not confessing earlier.”

Woohyun chuckles. “Maybe I should’ve approached you sooner. I also observed you for a longer time, hyung. Myungsoo said I was being obvious with it.”

The older man shortly frowns at the mentioning of that name, but then he remembers it’s just Woohyun‘s brother. He gives him another peck. “I thought he’s your boyfriend for sure.”

“Myung?” Woohyun shakes his head and smiles. “That would be awkward.”

“You have to stop smiling at him like that from now on, though.”

“Are you jealous, Sunggyu-hyung?”

“Yes, insanely. You’re only allowed to smile at me like that.”

Woohyun smiles and initiates a kiss this time. “Okay, I promise.”

Sunggyu cups his cheek and pulls him closer for another kiss. It’s more passionate this time and he uses his tongue to pry Woohyun’s mouth open. He delves into the mouth and explores every corner of it. Woohyun is sweet, although the kiss tastes like porridge and beef instead of chocolate cake. Sunggyu figures they’ll have all the time in the world from now on to get that chocolate kiss he dreamed of. And maybe he’d get to it off Woohyun’s hands as the barista baked it.

They separate with the need for air and Woohyun whines shortly. “What if I make you sick too? We shouldn’t kiss right now.”

Sunggyu kisses his pouty lips. “I don’t care. I’ve waited for so long to kiss you. Do you want me to stop?”

Woohyun smiles. “No, never. I love you, Sunggyu-hyung.”

“I love you, Woohyun.”

They kiss many times more and Sunggyu does indeed get sick the next day. He thinks it’s all worth it when they spend the next days in bed together cuddling and sharing more kisses.




Sunggyu finishes his book three months later and Woohyun is the first to read it, as promised. Andrew gets his happy ending just like Sunggyu has gotten his. And when the book is published a year later, it doesn’t hit big, but the writer doesn’t mind.

Because he’s already won the one heart he yearned for.