Fake ID

Rebel Girl

If the sun was any hotter, her skin would likely melt off, but as it just so happened the rays only hit her with a dull pang like a small child bouncing a balloon off her arm. She was distracted, head swimming with the past month's events. There was a little guilt, remembering the boys crestfallen face as she let  the blade of the guillotine drop and made him a single man once more, but she could't help it. She didn't want to drag the poor thing on in a one-sided relationship. All she had was a string of one-sided relationships, and she was starting to think it may not be worth holding off on some self discovery to fit into appearances. It's not like she can just straight up say she prefers girls to boys, maybe in a large, bustling city she could but in a tiny suburb? Where everyone talks? And parents insist on images to keep? She'd have better luck making a temperature finally reach absolute zero.

A pair of fingers shot in front of her face and snapped, startling her.

"Euijinie, I've been talking to you this whole time! You haven't listened to a single word I've said, have you." more of a statement than a question, familiarity with caught in tired undertones.

"I was distracted."

"You're always distracted." Dohee shook her head and stuck a spoonful of red shaved ice into . Her orange hair had faded into a dull blonde, nails white and freshly decorated with tiny rhinestones as her cheeks puffed up like a chipmunks during her inspection of Euijin.

"You're still upset about that break-up."

"No."

"Yes." she placed the paper bowl on the bench table. "We need to take you out." Euijin let out a frustrated exhale, pulling on her white t-shirt. It was a snug fit and was starting to struggle reaching the hem of her high waisted jeans but it was nice for weather like this. She ran a hand halfway through bright red hair before sliding it down to her cheek.

"It's not really MY thing," Dohee continued, dropping the plastic spoon into the now empty container. "but Saturday night there's a music festival thing and that night is focused on local rock bands. Let's just go and check it out at least." unsure noises slipped out of Euijin's red-tainted lips. Dohee made her eyes go big and pouted, clasping her hands in front of her.

"Please, Jinie? Won't you go with me?" Euijin stared in vague disgust before slowly letting out a breathe.

"Fine. Just tell me when."


The city is a vibrant contrast to their natural suburban surroundings, buzzing with life and action at every turn. Buildings stretched as high as they could as if trying to reach space and cars sped by, some with loud music or whistles at girls walking down the street and others with steady streams of cigarette smoke. It was an energy both exhilarating and confining, and Euijin wanted more.

Dohee had dragged her out of the white and green colored cab into a huge crowd standing outside a bland looking building, a sign reading 'IMPETUM' in bold, black letters. Dohee held tight to her wrist and pushed through the wall of bodies leading to the door.

"Isn't there a line?" Euijin could barely hear herself shout over the talking of people, heavy with the scent of beer and nicotine, and whatever band was playing inside (poorly, in her own opinion). 

"I picked our tickets up early."

"Is that why you were late yesterday?"

"Sometimes you have to make sacrifices." they reached the door, a tall angry looking man standing in the doorway checking IDs was waving a man in. Euijin huddled close to the tiny blonde as she pulled tickets and her ID from her purse. The security snatched it from her hands and only gave it a glance before giving it back and wrapping bright green paper bracelets around their wrists. We muttered an "enjoy yourselves" without so much as a glance. The girls shuffled into the venue, dark except for the stage lights to their right. The man on stage kept darting his tongue out as he looked over the girls in the front, sending a shiver of discomfort through Euijin. The venue, surprisingly, didn't have the same alcoholic scent inside as it did outside, rather it was almost dusty, as if the place hadn't been open in years until tonight. She elected to look over the place itself, the walls were covered in pictures of bands that had played in the past, some major that she grew up listening to and some she didn't recognize. Posters for future concerts were also up, some torn while others almost in pristine condition. There was two sets of stairs on either side of the stage that led upstairs viewing, wrapping around the whole venue. The bar was pushed to the left, a few tables set up where people flirted and argued and gossiped. The crowd by the stage roared as the band's set finished, the members exiting the stage and taking their flags with them. She could care less for the group but the crowd, full of electric energy and fiery passion, made her heart race and begin to wander among them.

"Jinie!" Euijin turned at the almost drowned out sound of her name. "You wanna join them just give me your bag, I'll hold it for you." she handed the black purse to Dohee, who slipped into one of the chairs at an empty table and pulled out her phone. Euijin quickly made it to the middle of the crowd, sticking out like a sore thumb with her bright hair. The people were friendly, responding well to her bright smile that she couldn't pack away and falling for her natural people charms. Some cheers from the front rang out as some people, she assumed from the next act, walked out and connected instruments to amplifiers, tuning their instruments as a staff member started running around the stage building hype. She bought into it, yelling as loudly as she could when prompted like she was in a contest. Excitement vibrated in her chest, hands worrying the collar of the black long sleeved crop top, smile wider than ever across her face. The drummer walked out, blonde and serious. She looked ready to fight anyone. The guitarist was cute, looking like she belonged in a sunday school rather than a rock show on a  Saturday night, brown hair flowing softly over her shoulders. The bassist shocked Euijin a little, due to the fact she was almost certain if she wasn't in the band she would have been turned away at the door. Her hair was short and had a hint of white at the end. She looked extra small with the blue bass hanging over her shoulder. More cheers, this time with more vigor and energy, burst from all around her as the singer hit the stage. Euijin could only stare in wonder, unsure of how to breathe.

She gave off a cute appearance, more so than anyone else in the band. Her skirt was white and short and her red socks went up to just above her knee. Her boots were heavily platformed and tied in a double knot. The girl's black top was tucked into her skirt, long sleeved and snug on her body. Her smile, big and full of joy, threw Euijin's heart on a merry-go-round. Light brown hair was tied up in pigtails, bouncing as she practically hopped around the stage to say hello. She was cute, friendly, and glowed under the stage lights. And Euijin couldn't take her eyes off her. She investigated each movement, her quick turn towards the members as she hovered near the microphone. She offered a thumbs up, resulting in the nodding of the others before the blonde drummer shouted a count.

The instrumentals were raw, almost frantic and straining. It was a severe contrast with the singers voice, sweet and cute that struggled to hit screamed notes as they entered choruses. Euijin wasn't actually sure if she was singing or speaking in a near shout, but she fell hard for the whole package being presented before her. She ran back and forth across the stage like a ball of light, attracting all who looked at her. She was singing about some girl, rebellious and outcast to all around her, and Euijin so desperately wanted to be the girl she was singing about. She wanted nothing more than to rush the stage and into the arms of the pigtailed girl spinning in the spotlight. It was like being under a witches spell, slowly descending into a mindless zombie to do all that she demanded and a part of Euijin was okay with that. The other part was frantically trying to keep her feet in place and keep her standing. The song ended in a crashing of instruments, the girl doing one last head bang before whiiping her head up with a smile and breathing heavy. She leaned against the mic stand, her pants interrupted with bubbles of laughter.

"Hello!" oh , Euijin thought. I'm ed hard. The crowd cheered and she found herself doing the same, as if on command.

"Wow, there's a lot of you! Ladies and Gentlemen and all those who refuse to follow societies conventions," some cheering from random places around the venue made her smile widen. "I'd like you all to give a warm welcome to the ladies with me on this stage. Here on the guitar, she will happily make contact with all your house ghosts...for a price. Give it up for Minjae!" the innocent girl waved shyly as the cheers rang. The crowd grew silent as the singer walked across the stage to the tiny short haired girl.

 "Not yet legal and running on a curfew, please scream loudly as possible for New Sun!" the crowd did as commanded, receiving a cool head nod from the girl and a tough pose. The singer giggled as she headed to the front of the stage and pointed at the blonde drummer.  

"Hardly in need of an introduction, D.ana!" she responded with a fast, overwhelming 5-second solo on the drums that hyped the crowd up. "And, of course, I am Sumin but you already know. Together we! Are! Salty Sweet!" the next song started straight away, something about hating someone but still being more than glad to give them the go-around. Euijin wasn't entirely sure anymore, the girl, SUMIN, stealing the show. Her name repeated over in over in Euijin's head, a mantra or prayer that shrouded her. For a moment she thought she caught Sumin's eyes, a weight heavy on her chest and a siren going off in her ears. There was a tugging at her shoulder, but she was so enraptured her eyes might as well have been attached to the singer.

"Euijin, we have to go!" 

"Why, she's not done yet." 

"The ID's were fake and I think the bartender figured it out, we need to bounce!" Euijin whipped her head around to look at Dohee, who shuffled behind her and started pushing her to the door. The last thing she saw was Sumin running to the drums and punching the air in front of her with a jump back. 

 

Euijin brought the blanket up closer to her chin, staring at the ceiling darkened by the lack of light. She turned her head to the desk, a mess of records in pink and black and blue. Her player was propped on the dresser spilling in unfolded clothes, the chair also covered in a pile of shirts and pants. The walls were covered in posters, some of bands or movies and others of collages she made of articles and magazine shoots. The only thing kept neatly was her dance clothes, carefully hung on hangers and put away in a closet covered in shoes and old backpacks. Euijin could hear the television downstairs playing a true crime documentary show her mom watches while knitting. 

She wished she could sleep, to drift off and dream, but she knew very well if she did Sumin would be there. Euijin felt the corners of pull at the thought of her, excitemement bubbling in her stomach and chest and a desire to jump, punch, release the sudden surge of energy in her limbs. She wondered how her hair felt, the softness of her skin, the gentle brushing of her breathe over her. She wondered how her voice sounded off stage, if it was gentle or just as loud. Euijin fell asleep with a wish on her lips to maybe, just maybe, get to see her again somehow.