Chicago

One Shots

Walking into the club I felt out of place. The music was way too loud, as the bass seemed to shake my whole body.

I coughed a little, breathing in the smoke filled air. I hated the smell of cigarettes. However I hate feeling caged more than anything. Of course the place was packed to capacity, bursting any personal bubble I would have had outside.

I looked down at my hand as my cousin pulled me through the club. A bump here, an elbow there, and not a single apology later, we were at the bar.

Of course this was the first place she would take me. I open my mouth to protest but was quickly silenced by a hand over my mouth. “No more excuses. You’re of age and you graduated. I’m not waiting for your wedding. You’re almost 25. Now is the time.”

I grimaced as she ordered me a rum and coke. What does rum even taste like? I cowered away as Chris slapped her hand above my ear. “Don’t think about it. Just drink.” She shoved a glass in my face and I hesitantly took the drink.

With a sigh I took a little sip from the straw before I looked at the concoction in the glass. It was actually good. Hell, it was really good. “See?” I ignored my cousin as I continued to keep sipping on the drink.

The more I drank, the more I wondered why I never tried it before. What else could I be missing out on by being responsible? Was waiting for everything and focusing on my career and school really worth it?

“Woah, woah, take it easy.” I tried to pull my drink towards me as my cousin pried it away. “You’re supposed to drink slowly.”

I pouted as I watched my drink getting further and further away from me. Accepting my loss, I decided to get lost in the crowd on the dance floor. I’ve never gone dancing before and now seemed like a great time to start.

I don’t even know how long it had been before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see the rest of our friends dancing with me. I quickly went to join them as we continued to dance the night away.

After a while I started to feel a little tired, and I actually wanted another rum and coke. Without bothering anyone else, I slowly crept away towards the bar to get my drink and take a little breather.

When I finally made it to the bar, I had to wait as the bartender flirted with another girl. How hard is it to get a drink around here?

“I’ll have another.” I looked to see where the voice had come from and seen a very handsome man that went along with that voice.

I tried to look away but my eyes didn’t quite get the memo. He smirked at me before he leaned against the bar and held his head to the side. “Do you want a drink?”

I shook my head yes as he laughed at me. The bartender made his way over to where we were before he started to make the man’s drink. After he finished he placed it down in front of him. “Also whatever she is having. Just put it on my tab.”

“Oh that’s okay. I can get it.”

“It’s fine. So what will you have? Cosmo, Fuzzy Navel, on the Beach perhaps?”

I’m sure I looked a little confused since I had no idea what any of that was. “I’ll take a rum and coke.” Now I was the one getting the confused look. “What?”

“I just pegged you as the girly drink type.”

I just laughed as I took the drink from the bartender. “It’s the only drink I’ve ever tried. I liked it so I stuck with it.”

He hummed to himself as he took a drink from his glass. It wasn’t dark enough to be the same drink as mine but I had no idea what it could be.

“Scotch.”

I opened my mouth to say something but didn’t know what to say, so I closed it back up instead.

“I just assumed you wanted to know what I was drinking, since you were inspecting my glass.” I gave off another small laugh as I shook my head at him. “You want to try?” He held out his glass to me and I took it. What’s the worst that could happen?

I took a sip and quickly handed it back. It burned so bad. It wasn’t anything like my rum and coke. He just smirked as he took a drink with no problem. I, on the other hand was still contorting my face.

“I think I’ll stick to rum.” He laughed as he watched me take a big drink to wash out the taste of scotch from my mouth.

He hummed again as he took yet another sip from his drink before looking back up at me. He really was something to look at. He had dark black hair that was combed back. The button up he was wearing showed he was wearing a suit but the jacket was currently missing. His deep set eyes had a way of captivating you and also showed his confidence. I was still looking at his face when he smirked again.

“Like what you see?”

“I was wondering where your suit jacket disappeared to?” Pretty smooth way to change the subject if you ask me.

He looked down at his shirt before he shrugged and got up from his seat. He slowly walked over to me and I slowly leaned back in my chair as an attempt to create more space between us.

“I’m going to another bar. You should come.”

“Umm.” Was all I could say. I wanted to go. Lord knows I wanted to. But what about my friends, my cousin? Where was this other bar? I could be one of those stupid girls who went missing for trusting a handsome guy. I wasn’t from Chicago. I was only visiting for my graduation trip.

“Yo _____ we’re go-“ Chris quickly stopped as she looked between me and him before the girls followed suit. “Well I was going to say that we were going to head out but I see you’re fine. We’ll see you back at the hotel.”

They waved at me before they left the club. I looked at their backs in disbelief. Is this really how things are done?

“Are you ready?”

I looked at him before I downed the rest of my drink and nodded my head yes. Might as well since I got left anyways.

*****

Waking up I quickly shut my eyes again. It was way too bright and my head hurt. I groaned as I rolled over and felt an empty bed. I ignored the pain as I opened my eyes and saw as he was putting on his suit jacket.

“Did I wake you?” I shook my head no as I laid back down. “Well I have work. I already ordered you room service. I had your clothes dry cleaned and a new outfit is in the bathroom for you.” He walked over to the bed and kissed me on my forehead as he finished tying his tie.

He walked to the door before he turned back around. “Oh and don’t leave unless you want to be locked out. I’ll be back later, but understand if you aren’t here.” He gave a quick wave and went out of the door.

The idea of a shower seemed amazing right now, but the idea of actually making it to the bathroom to take one seemed impossible. After a quick peptalk and a lot of crashing I finally made it. Turning the water on I went to look at the clothes that were bought for me.

I took out a matching red and black bra and set. Next was a purple spaghetti strap with blue jeans and a grey cardigan. I must admit the man has decent taste.

I jumped into the shower and felt as the soreness from last night, headache and other, seemed to melt away. When I exited I felt like my old self again and that’s when I realized that I wasn’t at my hotel room. Was he just visiting too?

Deciding it wasn’t any of my business, I got dressed. I just pulled on my chucks when I saw that he had a grey knitted beanie that would match the outfit perfectly, also it would help keep me warm since my hair was still wet. I took the beanie and was frightened when I heard a knock on the door right before I opened it.

Opening the door I saw that it was room service. I quickly let them in and ate. I really was hungry. I forgot he said that he had ordered it.

After I finished is when I had a choice to make. I could stay here until he got back and see what happens or I could just accept it as a good time that we both had on a trip and leave it at that. Thinking of it rationally, I knew nothing would become of us. I don’t even know where he is from.

I grabbed my clothes and walked to the door. I grabbed the handle and sighed as I looked back before leaving out the door.

I will never forget the night I spent with my mysterious man.