July 21st, 2009

Should we act like nothing's wrong?

July 21, 09 was a date that Soo Yun could not easily forget, she had being struggling the whole semester to try to pass one of her classes that had being given her hell for the past year, this was her second time taking it and she was at a point that she either go big or go home and unfortunately for her, the odds were rooting for the go home team.

She had poured herself heart and soul into study, but she failed her final and saw her grade 6.3, she needed a 6.75 to pass it, but that only meant that she had to take a extraordinary test to finish this whole deal.

Unfortunately, lady luck wasn’t on her side, their parents remind her that they were heading to Busan for the whole week and they were leaving the day she was supposed to take the extraordinary test, so she was forced to stay behind and had to take the bus to Busan the next day by herself.

Finally the day arrived and she walked into the auditorium where she could see half of her friends in a nervous mode, since from her group of friends, only one manage to pass, the other 3 where force to take this test with her. She glance at them and mouthed a good luck before taking her seat, she started answering question after question and before she knew it, time was up.

She walked out to meet her friends but she could see that they all had the same look on their faces, they had just being ed up. Since it was an extraordinary test, the results were going to be delivered on the same day, just a 2 hour waiting and that will be it. Soo Yun felt like running away and not even daring to see her grade, since deep down she might be hopeful, but she was sure she had failed this time.

The girls simply took a seat on the floor of the medical faculty and neither of them dared to utter a word, despite the fact that they were usually loud and really outspoken, just like Soo Yun was; but this time they knew that if one started talking the others will break down, after all, they were all taking this class for the second time in a row.

After the two longest hours of her life, the 4 girls decided to go check if the results were up, they made their way to the board on the second floor and saw the assistant pinning down the lists with the grades.  Neither of them dare to take a look, but Soo Yun took a deep breath and made her way into the crowd that had begun to gather in front of the board, she started searching for her id number on the pieces of paper, she needed an 7.0 to pass, she finally stop and saw the last four numbers of her id 4695.

Id 4695                                              Grade: 6.7

That moment broke her down, she felt like the air wasn’t reaching her lungs and felt a knot on the back of , 3 points, three lousy points had just set her back another year of her major.  She tried to take a deep breath, but it hurt her due to the pressing she was feeling in her chest; she then remember her friends and glance over them, but she could see them already crying “we sure are as hell” was what she thought.

She walk over to her friends and they knew, they all had failed, but Soo Yun was the only one that was that close to passing, her friends started getting phone calls from their boyfriends and families that were eager to know what happened.

Soo Yun took a step back from them and sighed, her family was not even at home, Bae was in the middle of a final test himself and she had none to lean on to in that moment. She quickly said her goodbyes to her friends and started walking, it was raining , like if the weather was in perfect sync with the way her heart was feeling right now.

 She walked slowly, she didn’t even care that her umbrella was doing a miserable job at covering her, she just wanted to get home and get over with the tears she was fighting to hold back, but the tiny droplets didn’t hold still and made her way out from her eyes and honestly, she no longer cared.

She took the bus and thankfully it was almost empty, guess the rain scared off the usual travelers; she was seating near the window with her earplugs put on, blasting an old song, she hated the fact that she was going to an empty place when she needed someone right now. She closed her eyes and let a few more tears stream down, but felt someone taking a seat next to her, so she quickly used her hands to whip the tears off.

The person that was now seating next to her, took one of her earplugs and before she could protest, a deep voice whisper close to her “so I guess the test didn’t go well at the end?”

She looked up and saw Seung Hyun seating next to her, but why? How? He was supposed to be at his internship at that moment.

Sensing the million questions on his friends mind, he spoke up again “I got off work early, since I finish off quickly today. But that doesn’t answer my question, common tell me, you are not the kind of girl that cries on buses after all”

Soo Yun felt the irony of all this was a little too much to handle right now, here it was the guy she had a crush on trying to comfort her and he was the last one that she wish that did so, because she kept remembering the conversation she had with Young Bae and Daesung just a couple months ago.

“Well since you are not talking, I’m going to take your silence like an affirmation that things didn’t work out at the end with your test’” he said and grabbed her hand with his, slowly entwining his fingers with hers.

Soo Yun didn’t said a thing, she was trying hard to process too many things that were happening at once and her tired brain didn’t want to work out, so she simple let herself go with the flow and with them the tears that were going down began to pour down like the rain outside the bus, she lean over Seung Hyun’s shoulders, like seeking shelter so none else would see her cry her heart out.

They arrived to the stop and Seung Hyun kept holding her hand, he was shock, he had never seen her so fragile, in all the time since he had met her, not even once she had shed one single tear in front of anyone, not even him. This throw him off, but he decided to walk her home, he felt like she might broke down if he wasn’t for her right now.

He opened up his umbrella and tugged her close to him, trying to shield her from the rain. They slowly began to walk not uttering a word, when they arrived to her place; he saw the lights out “Why are the lights off, isn’t your mom there?”

“Ani, they left today for Busan, I have to go meet them tomorrow” Soo Yun replied fighting with her purse looking for the keys to let herself in.

“Can I stay for dinner then?” Seung  Hyun asked her; she simply nodded and open up the door.

He got inside, it had being a while since he last came, after all he was more used to her hanging out at his place than the other way around, he took off his shoes and followed her to the living room.

“Seung Hyun Oppa, I don’t feel like cooking, can you ask for something while I go take a shower?” Soo Yun said and it startle Seung Hyun, she never call him Oppa, she only did it once when she got sick  and had ended up in the hospital with a terrible kidney infection just two months earlier and she was weak when he came to see her; so he definitely sense that those test results had hit her hard.

“Sure don’t worry about it, Oppa will take care of everything, go shower” he said taking out his phone and making the call to her favorite restaurant.

She took around half an hour to come out off the shower and he could see her eyes where even puffier “so she took a shower because she didn’t want me to see her cry” he said to himself.

“Sorry you had to order in, since I’m leaving tomorrow for a week, my mom only left kimchi on the fridge”

“Ani don’t worry about it, plus I’m here to hang out with you, not for the food, so don’t sweat it” he said smiling to her “By the way, how are you feeling? Did your kidneys finally give you a break?”

“Ne, but I still feel tired from all the treatment I had to took” she replied.

“Common let’s eat before it gets cold” he said motioning her to begin eating.

“I’m not that hungry” she replied.

“No, I bet you haven’t eaten in all day, eat a bit while we watch that drama that you are watching, is about to begin” he said, putting the food in front of her and turning the tv to Queen Seon Duk “You really do love historical dramas don’t you?”

“Sure I do, just look at the stories and the customs they wear” she replied putting a spoon of rice in .

They continue watching tv until they finished eating and Seung Hyun could see that Soo Yun had calm down a little bit, so he felt it was safe to ask questions now.

“So, what was the result?”

“6.7… can you believe it? For 3 points I failed again” she said and sighed “I swear I think nutrition is not for me”

He had heard her talk like that before, she was so fed up of this class that she was considering dropping out of university, since this was the second time she had failed that class.

“Common, think about it more calmly Soo Yun-ah, don’t take any rash decisions, especially in a day after today, if I remember correctly you told me that this class didn’t even belong to nutrition, it was from the medical department, so that doesn’t means you are not good for it”

“News flash Seung Hyun, but the medical part is like the foundation of nutrition; if you don’t know it, how do you expect to treat patients if you don’t understand what is going on with them?”

“Still, you haven’t gotten to that part yet, so you aren’t sure if you work out for it or not, common promise me you will use your week away to think things through”

“Ne, arasso, I promise to give it some more thought” she replied.

“What time are you leaving tomorrow?” he asked her changing the topic.

“I hope that I can catch the 8:00am bus”

“Ok, I’ll come pick you up at 6:30am, it’s a bit of a long trip from here to the bus terminal and I’m pretty sure you forgot to asked your parents to take your stuff, so I’ll give you a hand with your bags” he said giving her a goofy smile.

She felt her heart skip a bit and hit her chest to try to calm herself down.

“You don’t need to; I can go perfectly by myself”

“I’m not asking for your permission to take you there, I’m saying to be ready at that time, because I am going to take you there” he said smirking and folding his arms.

“You? Choi Seung Hyun is going to wake up early just to take me there?” she asked in disbelief, after all, only after her, he was the hardest person to wake up early.

“Yes and you should be honor since I will be sacrificing my beauty sleep” he said getting up and walking to the door “sleep well and see you tomorrow Yun”

With that he got out and closed the door behind him. Soo Yun almost had a heart attack, way too many things happen in the lapse of 12 hours and her brain was giving her a migraine, she decided it was best to listen to him, go to sleep and start trying to figure everything out starting the next day, she went to bed deeply sad, but with an ease at her heart after having her friend offered a shoulder to lean on.

 

-----------

A/N: new update! Thank you for all your long comments for last week update, i enjoyed them so much!!!!! Sorry if i didnt reply to u all, u probably guess it, im sick agaaain... aish someone send Tabi or Bae to nurse me? Or is it too much to ask for? hahahahaha... i know, my meds are making me delusional! I really hope you enjoy this weeks update and can't wait to hear your thoughts about it!