Tuesday

Just A Week

{Chanyeol}

 

Chanyeol wakes up with a heavy weight on his chest. Not again. Draping a hand over his eyes, he takes a moment to collect himself before giving the weight on his chest a gentle shake.

 

"Hyung?"

Kris only cuddles deeper into the comforter, the hand-crocheted afghan he must have brought with him sliding further off the bed and onto the ground. Chanyeol sighs. I wonder what's wrong this time.

"Hyung? You really need to let me get out of bed, okay?" Chanyeol sits up slowly, half-lifting Kris' slumbering form and shifting him aside on the bed. And you really need to stop sleeping here whenever you and nuna have a problem.

Kris only wrinkles his face cutely in complaint. He's just a sleep-tousled boy today as he lies nestled in the feather comforter, and Chanyeol feels a twinge in his chest. No.. He runs a hand through his bed-head and unfolds his long legs onto the floor.

His phone is sitting on the dresser and he remembers. I'm going out with Baekhyun this week. How does one go out with a boy? It shouldn't be any different from going out with a girl, right?

He opens katalk to find Baekhyun in the new section, and has to stop to laugh as his profile picture. Starting a chat, he sends a bright "Good Morning!" before putting his phone back down and wandering over to the closet. There's no way he'll be able to shift Kris out of his bed until lunchtime at least, and he has to be at school before then. Let nuna take care of him for once.

One leg half out of his pyjamas, he's startled to hear the loud ding notifying him of a new message. He's awake already? Unlocking the phone, he's expecting a cute little hello or emoticon which is what his girlfriends usually reply with, but is instead surprised to find that his wake-up message has been somewhat less warmly received.

you too sunbae.

Chanyeol is actually a little shocked, but the feeling quickly turns to amusement when he sees the next message.

You woke me up an HOUR before my alarm and now I'll NEVER get back to sleep.

Baekhyun's obvious irritation is awfully cute. A little bit like a certain hyung here who also can't get up in the morning. Chanyeol decides to go with the flow.

Well at least you won't be late to class!

Chanyeol is about to shower when katalk starts singing. A phone call? But hyung is still sleeping.... He even grabs a towel and peeks around the door, but one look at Kris and it's quite clear that he is definitely not planning on waking up any time soon, never mind randomly phoning people in the bathroom. Is it maybe nuna? But why would she be calling me?

He almost face-plants tripping over the trailing corner of his towel but manages to get to the phone. It's...Baekhyun?

"Hello?" His voice sounds a little breathless.

"I hate you." Baekhyun sounds very grumpy, but for some reason this only makes Chanyeol laugh. He tries to cover his mouth, but apparently the effort isn't good enough.

"Why are you laughing at me you stupid early-bird sunbae?" He makes a sound that seems suspiciously like feet stamping, Is he a little kid having a tantrum? and it's simply too much, pushing Chanyeol over the edge into bubbling peals of laughter. The noise is so loud that even Kris is disturbed from his late sleep. He sits up on the bed, rubbing his eyes and glaring at Chanyeol. I see that cold city boy is back now. His affronted expression only feeds Chanyeol's mirth, and he's reduced to a puddle of goo on the floor.

Apparently coming to the realization that it won't be getting quieter in Chanyeol's proximity any time soon, Kris sulkily untangles his tall frame from the bed and stalks off, but the image of him trailing his blue afghan behind him like a baby's comfort blanket does nothing to stem Chanyeol's amusement.

"Sunbae? Sunbae?" Baekhyun's annoyed voice is squawking angrily from his phone by the time Chanyeol has composed himself enough to get off the floor.

"Sorry," Chanyeol apologizes, "I was..." Baekhyun cuts him off with a snort.

"You were laughing at me you jerk!" he accuses him. "I definitely heard that. You're lucky I'm not close to you right now or I'd definitely smack you a good one."

Chanyeol manages to avoid relapsing into giggles but it's a close call. "Well then, do you want me to come over so you can abuse me to your heart's content?" He smiles, waiting for a snarky comeback, but the moment stretches into a rather uncomfortable silence. What is he thinking? Why isn't he saying anything?

"Um, I was only joking..." Chanyeol tries to remedy the situation. "I'm sorry for waking you up early." Is he really mad at me now? Have I messed everything up before it's even started? Why is it so hard to date a guy? He waits anxiously for Baekhyun to respond. Finally, Baekhyun sighs.

"No, that's okay. But you'd better go to the music club today."

"Music club?" Chanyeol is confused but happy that he seems to be getting off the hook so easily. "Okay, I can do that."

"Of course you can!" Baekhyun scolds. "You're a member after all. It's your responsibility."

"Yes sunbae." Chanyeol goes for meek and obedient. Who am I even kidding?

"And don't call me sunbae," Baekhyun adds, as an afterthought. "It sounds weird." He hangs up before Chanyeol can reply. Then what am I supposed to call you? Honestly Baekhyun! You're a really confusing guy to try to get to know.

 

****

 

 

Chanyeol is just finishing his egg toast when Kris strolls into the breakfast room, a flying angry bird toy drifting through the air in from of him. He's smiling, but there's definite sadness to be found lurking in the corners of his eyes. With a practiced gesture, he skillfully lands the toy on the centre of the table before flopping down onto the chair beside Chanyeol, somehow managing to end up half-way sitting on his lap.

 

"Where's nuna?" Chanyeol asks, shifting on his chair in an attempt to get back some of his personal space. Hyung, I'm pretty sure this isn't a normal way to act around your almost-brother-in-law.

"She had to go to Paris," Kris replies sadly, turning sideways and somehow managing to rest his head on Chanyeol's shoulder. "Do you think she's cheating on me?"

"Of course not!" Chanyeol is quick to jump to his sister's defence. Although there was that time when... He quickly shakes the thought away. Shoo.

Kris looks at him with a disbelieving expression on his face. "I know that you know about Yixing."

Chanyeol groans internally. Of course I know about Yixing. That was one of the few times nuna has ever come crying to me and she was a total mess, sobbing about mistakes and being a horrible person, and how she would never ever do something like that again and that she'd been drunk and hadn't even realized what she was doing until it was over. He glances down as the insecure blond nestles into his collar bone. And that's when you met Zitao again... There's that dull ache in his chest again but Chanyeol ignores it.

"Of course I do, Hyung" he acknowledges. "But I also know that it was all a mistake and that nuna felt absolutely terrible about it afterwards." He takes Kris gently by the shoulders and shifts him into his own chair-space. "And most importantly, I know that nuna really loves you and that you really love nuna. So you just have to trust each other." I won't mention Zitao. Just thinking about that time hurts. If you had to find someone else to comfort you, why couldn't it have been m... He halts the thought in its tracks.

"It's really easy to trust someone the first time," Kris says in a very small voice. "But to trust them again..." His voice trails off, and there's a suspicious wetness to his lowered gaze. I know this is a terrible idea but... Chanyeol enfolds his tall gangly hyung in a big warm hug.

"Don't cry Yifan-ge," he murmurs comfortingly in his ear. "I know that nuna would rather die than hurt you ever again." This is the last time. I'll never do it again. I really mean it. But deep inside he knows he's probably lying.

 

****

 

 

Chanyeol hasn't seen Baekhyun all day and it feels kind of strange. I hope he isn't still mad at me. He doesn't really want to go to the music club since they had all been rather unflatteringly surprised the day before when Baekhyun had made him go. However, Baekhyun will be waiting for him, and they are going out this week after all. I still don't know how I feel about this. Do I hope it'll work out? Can it possibly work out? It's only the beginning of the week, but I'm already so confused... He's walking down the hallway to the club room when his phone vibrates in his pocket.

 

Incoming call.

Is it Baekhyun? His heart skips a beat. Now that's...weird...

Pulling the phone out he sees that it's only Kris. Only hyung? He dismisses the curious thought.

"Hello hyung?"

"Chanyeol-ah..." Kris is in fully fledged diva mode again it seems. He sighs.

"Yes hyung?"

"I'm so bored...Yura won't be back until tomorrow and I don't have anyone to play with!" He can imagine the sad faces Kris is pulling on the other end of the call.

"I'm sorry hyung, but I'm going out with someone now so I can't drop everything for you," Chanyeol explains patiently.

"But you went on a picnic with me yesterday!" Kris pouts. He's reverting to a childish temper tantrum now...

"Yesterday I wasn't going out with anyone, but today I am." Chanyeol has repeated this same explanation every week for the past several months already, and Kris has never remembered it. So why is it only now that I'm beginning to be a little tired of it?

"Oooh," Kris is curious as usual. "Is it a really cute first-year?"

"Hmmm...rather than cute, I would say beautiful." Chanyeol is pensive. "And it's actually a third year."

"Wow, a hot nuna!" Kris exclaims. "Good luck!" And before Chanyeol can elaborate further, he hangs up. Nuna? Not exactly... He doesn't notice the small smile on his face as he walks through the music club door.

 

{Baekhyun}

 

 

It's been one of those days again. First he gets woken up at some ungodly hour, what is going on with Chanyeol anyway? Do normal friends send wake-up messages? Because mine sure don't. then he for some reason arranges to meet Chanyeol at the music club, and why on earth did I do that? I'm not even part of that club anymore! and then Kyungsoo won't stop pestering him about his "new friend" for the entire time they're in class together. Which is unfortunately most of them. And his elbows are sharp!

 

It's with a splitting headache and very grumpy attitude that Baekhyun pushes open the door to the music club after class. The first person he sees is Jongdae, a second-year hoobae of the club. He's about to say hello when he notices Chanyeol in the corner, strumming on a guitar. Wow. I didn't know he could play so well. Chanyeol plays a little tune and Jongdae sings along and the effect is pure magic. He doesn't even notice himself tiptoe quietly over to a chair and start to dance his slender fingers against his palms in time to the music.

It's only when the beautiful duet is coming to a premature, at least in Baekhyun's opinion, close that he notices all the other people in the club room. It's mostly girls who have been staring at Chanyrol in rapt attention, and Baekhyun feels heat rising to his face. I can't believe it. Am I really blushing? He lowers his gaze in embarrassment. Unfortunately, that's when Jongdae spots him sitting by the door and springs forward to greet him.

"Sunbae! Why didn't you let us know you were coming?" He takes the reluctant Baekhyun's hand and half-drags him over to the piano. "Of course you'll sing something, right?"

Baekhyun hadn't really been planning on performing anything; he'd only wanted...wait, why did I come here anyway? One look at Chanyeol's expectant expression though and he's resigned himself to the proceedings. Not that I want him to hear me sing or anything. Soojung, the Korean-American transfer student and gifted piano player, is quickly beckoned over, and soon Baekhyun has no choice in the matter.

"What do you feel like singing today?" Soojung asks. Even though they've been in the same club, they're in different years and Baekhyun doesn't know her very well. He's not sure what Soojung is good at playing.

"Do you know Miracles in December?" Baekhyun tries. That was the song he sang in the last music club performance he participated in before retiring, so hopefully it'll be familiar enough. Luckily enough, Soojung nods. Baekhyun takes a deep breath, pretending to himself that he's not checking to see what Chanyeol is doing out of the corner of his eyes. Who do you think you're kidding?

At first he's a little self-conscious, it's been a while after all but soon he's carried away by the music and doesn't even notice the other people in the room. So he's surprised then, when the song is over, that after a resounding silence his performance is met with actual applause.

Jongdae is the first to speak. "Sunbae! That was awesome!" He rushes over and enfold the surprised older boy into a big hug. "I know you retired, but you have to visit the club sometimes to give us energy for our new performances!"

Baekhyun shakes him off with an awkward laugh. "I didn't think you'd want me around after I abandoned you." Not everyone understood that I needed to keep my studies as my first priority... He grins to hide the painful thought.

"Of course not!" Jongdae seems shocked at the thought. "You're our beloved sunbae here; we owe so much of our success to you."

"No no," Baekhyun insists, for some reason feeling the need to seem modest, even though he's always been very proud of his achievements. Instead of arguing Jongdae merely laughs and shakes his head in disagreement, half-leading, half-dragging Baekhyun over to a seat to watch the rest. Chanyeol smiles at him from the seat beside him and Baekhyun blushes. What on earth is wrong with me today?

He ends up watching the entire practice sitting beside the younger boy, who apparently hasn't been entrusted with any major responsibilities due to his lack of regular attendance. It's surprisingly nice to see all of his old music club friends, but also a little sad since he's no longer a part of the tightly-knit community. In fact, the only other outsider seems to be Chanyeol, whose very close presence is confusingly noticeable to him. Every time the boy waves his hands to the music or makes any other gesture with his long arms, Baekhyun finds himself flinching away from the accidental contact which seems unnaturally warm on his skin. Okay, what's going on? This is ridiculous. He grits his teeth and forces himself to sit still, unintentionally glaring at the younger boy when he happens to look his way.

After the practice is over and the members have dispersed, Jongdae not leaving before having secured Baehyun's solemn promise to visit again before the weekend, Baekhyun finds himself walking alone with Chanyeol down the road to the subway station.

Does he always walk this way? I've never seen him walking here before...

It's a little awkward, walking side by side under the trees, and Baekhyun isn't sure whether he's supposed to be talking or something, but Chanyeol doesn't seem to expect anything of him. Usually loud and chatty, especially when nervous, he settles instead into the companionable silence.

Maybe he's running an errand or something.

The walk was nice, but Baekhyun's a little surprised when Chanyeol follows him onto the same subway train, and even more surprised when he doesn't get off at the main commercial district along the line. I don't think there's any place he could possibly be running an errand to now. After a couple of minutes of awkward back-and-forth glances, which he's sure is causing Chanyeol no small amusement judging by the slight grin hovering around his mouth, he decides to finally broach the subject.

"Um, do you live around here or something?" He's surprised by how hesitant his voice sounds.

Chanyeol flashes him a guilelessly cheerful grin. "No. I just wanted to see you home today."

Baekhyun is floored by this blatant proclamation. There's no way this is normal friendly behaviour. So...are we really going out then? He takes a deep breath and goes for the plunge.

"Just to make things clear, are we actually going out?" He's so confused that it comes out more accusatory than he had intended, but there's no taking it back now.

Chanyeol seems taken aback. "Aren't we?"

Baekhyun is about to exclaim something he will probably regret in a moment, but manages to tackle his runaway tongue into obedience.

Wait! What? How did this happen? I don't date guys!

He runs his hand through his hair in an irritated fashion, frustrated with the static caused by his cap.

Well, I guess I did ask him...

He adjusts the straps of his backpack which have been digging into his ribs for a while now.

Sunyoung did say good things about him...

He chances a peek over at Chanyeol, who is looking rather bemused, and maybe even a bit lost.

I guess there's nothing wrong with trying it out; it's not like anyone else has to know about it. After all, it's just a week...

He sets his shoulders with his newly formed decision, ignoring the strangely warm glow he feels in his chest.

It'll be like a small adventure before exam season, that's all.

 

{Chanyeol}

 

 

When Baekhyun all of a sudden asks if they're dating, Chanyeol is shocked. Have I been assuming the wrong thing all along?

 

Baekhyun looks really uncomfortable, and he feels even more stupid.

I should have known. I'm pretty sure that he's only ever dated girls, for a start. Of course he wouldn't want to date me.

He watches the boy run his hand through his hair in frustration, trying to ignore the strangely painful sinking feeling in his chest.

I've heard that he's really popular with the girls, and doesn't he usually have a girlfriend?

Baekhyun is adjusting the straps of his backpack now; he's probably tying to plan an exit without being too awkward. Chanyeol lifts a hand to his chest to press against the flickering pain.

He must have been joking yesterday; I can't believe I took him seriously! He must think I'm a total weirdo by now!

He looks at the floor, the passengers, out the window; anything to avoid Baekhyun's (probably disgusted) gaze.

I can't believe I sent him a good morning text! I woke him up! No wonder he was so mad. He even glared at me during the music club practice.

He wants to hide his face in his hands but the train is moving and losing his balance and falling right now would make everything ten times worse.

I have to fix this somehow. I have to say something.

He turns to the older boy, opening his mouth to say - to say what? I have no idea what I'm doing anymore... when Baekhyun speaks instead.

"Well, seeing as we're dating, I veto the take me home thing. That's boring. Let's go on a date instead." He grins up at the taller boy, flashing him a bright smile.

Chanyeol is so so confused by the sudden turn of events wait, what's going on? I thought...just now... that his mouth hangs slightly open, causing the pretty face looking at him to wrinkle in laughter. He quickly closes his mouth, but the tips of his large ears turning pink gives away his embarrassment. Baekhyun only nudges him teasingly in response, and grabs his hand to pull him off the train at the stop they've just reached. The uncomfortable feeling in his chest has been replaced by a warm glow, leaving him even more unbalanced.

"Wait, what?" he finally manages to burst out as he's pulled down the street, weaving between vendors and pedestrians looking at the window displays of the shops that line the way.

Baekhyun disregards his flustered questions with a laugh. "What do you like to eat?"

Okay, dating. Meals. This is back to comfortable territory. I can do this.

Chanyeol rolls his shoulders back and smooths a pleasant grin onto his face. "I like whatever you like." He looks over at Baekhyun, expecting to see him smile happily at that response like all of his girlfriends have done, but is instead surprised to see him pulling a disgruntled face.

"That's nice and all, but what do you really like to eat?"

Chanyeol is confused but determined to make this work. "Of course I'll like whatever you like." He flashes his best smile, but Baekhyun only looks stormy.

"Fine then." Chanyeol finds himself being dragged by the the arm down the street into a little restaurant serving chicken feet. He's never been to one before, especially not with the girls he's dated in the past. He watches with no small dismay as Baekhyun orders a plate for two from the ajummoni working there, and then proceeds to pull on a pair of transparent plastic gloves.

"Here, you'll need these." He takes the pair that Baekhun has into his hands and gingerly slides his fingers between the layers. The massive dish of chicken feet comes and he watches the older boy pick them up one by one and the seasoned meat from the bones with obvious relish. He tentatively picks one up, but can't quite bring himself to put it in his mouth.

After an extended period of Chanyeol bringing the chicken foot up towards his mouth only to lower it again in the same breath, Baekhyun finally stops eating to glare at the younger boy.

"See," he says, his tone almost accusatory. He sets the chicken foot he was eating down. "Maybe I'm just strange, but I find it really boring and annoying to hang out with people who have no opinion." He sighs, looking at his red-stained gloves. "Maybe this isn't going to work."

Chanyeol tries to ignore the sudden pang in his chest. His dating persona is crumbled in pieces on the floor and he has no idea how to pick himself up again. Is this why it never works out? Am I a complete failure at love? He droops in his seat, tall frame somehow becoming shorter, but he hears Baekhyun shifting restlessly, is he leaving? No! Don't go! and a sudden wave of panic shoots through him.

"I need to buy a new pair of headphones; maybe we could eat ddukbokki along the way?" His voice comes out small and a bit tentative, but Baekhyun beams at him and the clenched muscles in his chest loosen.

"See! That's better already." He pays for the meal, avoiding Chanyeol's best efforts, and casually takes his hand as they walk down the street. Stopping at a ddukkbokki cart, Chanyeol is allowed to pay this time, but Baekhyun laughs when he realizes he doesn't have any cash. Baekhyun pays again instead, and Chanyeol frowns, disappointed in himself, until Baekhyun mischievously paints a large glob of sauce on his cheek with his finger, forcing Chanyeol to reciprocate, and they zig-zag along this way to the multiplex, laughing while trying to avoid each other's outstretched and sticky fingers.

They stop to wash their hands before going into the electronics store, and Chanyeol watches Baekhyun happily splashing his hands in the sink. I've never seen this side of him before. He's so cute and childlike. His fingers itch to reach out and touch Baekhyun's pretty laughing face but he only plunges them back under the cold water from the faucet.

Picking out a new pair of headphones takes less time than he had thought, and it's just a casual response to the movie posters on the wall from the cinema in the multiplex when he offhandedly asks if Baekhyun would like to go see a movie. Which I can pay for with my card this time. He's floored by Baekhyun's brilliant beam of a response and enthusiastic nodding.

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!" Baekhyun is practically jumping up and down in excitement and Chanyeol has to laugh.

They decide on the Fast and Furious franchise; neither of them have seen the latest instalment so it's probably a safe pick. Chanyeol is so engrossed in the sounds and effects that he's startled to hear a strange puppy-like coming from the seat beside him. Is something wrong? He shifts his attention worriedly to Baekhyun but the smaller boy has only fallen asleep. And he was so excited about the movie too. Chanyeol has to smile at the cute sight, Baekhyun curled up in his seat with his long pretty fingers draped against the upholstery. He gently rests the older boy's head against his shoulder, ignoring the warm feeling in his chest that the gentle weight against his shoulder causes.

He's so different that what I was expecting.

Chanyeol smiles and leans back to finish watching the movie, but his attention is fixed on the slumbering boy beside him and he can't follow the plot at all.