Waiting.

Waiting.
Park Seulrin smiles at her crush from a far as Lee Byunghun settles into a seat next to the window as he enjoys his coffee. 
 
At the same time Kwon Hana walks into the little cozy cafe and settles into her favourite seat facing the window as she stares out of it blankly. 
 
Seeing the cafe owner step into the cafe, Seulrin quickly tears her attention away from her beautiful crush as she turned to her fellow colleague and started cleaning the coffee counter.
"You haven't told me how did 'Cafe Waiting' come about. Come on just tell me already." She pestered the barista endlessly. 
 
"If the lady boss wants to tell you she would one day." The barista shrugs his shoulders and ignored Seulrin's endless pleas. 
 
"Yah! Aren't you noisy. I hired you to help out here not for you to make so much noise. Contribute so much to the noise pollution how annoying." Hana slams the table and walks up to Seulrin, "So... You're really that interested?"
 
Seulrin nods enthusiastically.
 
Hana sighed as she walked behind the counter and leaned against the wall. "Well there was once a very playful and cheeky high school girl. She always teased and disturbed this boy sitting beside her in the classroom. However this boy never whined nor complained about it, instead he always smiled at the girl and give her whatever she wanted. Just like this, wherever the girl goes the boy would be there. One day a charming senior asked this playful girl out on a date. The girl agreed without hesitating. The senior and the playful girl soon grew closer and started a relationship. On valentine's day the playful girl asked the boy to help her pick out a perfect valentine's day gift for the senior. However the boy rejected her and she got angry with him. They quarreled in an alley when a robber rushed towards the girl with a knife trying to stab her while snatching her bag away. The boy acted swiftly and shielded the girl from the knife getting himself stabbed in the process. Even with the stab wound, he anxiously checked the girl constantly asking her if she was okay. The girl was touched beyond words and started to tear up in the boy's embrace. That was the start of their beautiful relationship. The both of them bought over this very cafe because they often hung out here during their high school days. The girl really loved the aroma of coffee but she couldn't afford to taste it because she had a weak stomach and her gastric would hurt if she were to take coffee. The boy then worked very hard to figure out a special recipe just for this girl so that she could take coffee without hurting her gastric. He finally succeeded one day before the opening of the cafe. The girl... The girl will never forget the taste and aroma of that cup of coffee. Ever. But too bad, she will never get a chance to taste it again. The boy disappeared before the opening of the cafe... The girl is waiting for the day she can taste that special cup of coffee again so she decided to name this cafe 'Cafe Waiting'" Hana smiled as a single year rolled down her cheek at the memory. "And she's still waiting up till today..."
 
"Ouch... That's so sad... I wonder where that boy is now..." Seulrin mumbled under her breath.
 
"Get back go work." Hana snapped at her as she drags her feet back to her usual spot and continued staring out the window.
 
Seulrin bit her lower lip and pouted as she picks up a cloth and headed to Byunghun's table. 
 
"Hi." She giggles shyly as she wipes the table and picks up a cup of finished coffee cup. 
 
"Oh anneyeonghasaeyo Seulrin-sshi ." Byunghun flashed his eye smile at Seulrin that makes her heart skip a beat. 
 
She grinned at Byunghun and sat down opposite him. "So... How have you been lately?" She tried to strike up a conversation with him.
 
"Me?" Byunghun glanced up at her, "I'm waiting..." He smiled as he stared out the window. 
 
"Huh?" Seulrin tilted her head in confusion. 
 
"Everyone is waiting for someone in this world." He continues softly. 
 
"Yah Park Seulrin! I didn't hire you here to sit there and talk to yourself! Get back go work!" 
 
"Deh sajangnim." Seulrin groaned before giving Byunghun an apologetic look.
 
He nods understandingly and smiled at her before leaving the cafe quietly. 
 
-.-.-
 
Seulrin wipes the insides of a coffee cup as she glances over at Byunghun who was flipping a book at his usual spot in the cafe. 
 
She quickly finishes her last touches to the coffee cup and places it on the counter before subtly skipping over to Byunghun. 
 
"You really like this cafe don't you. I always see you here." She sits herself opposite Byunghun. 
 
Byunghun smiled slightly, "this place holds a lot of memories for me. I'm waiting..."
 
"What... Exactly are you waiting for?" Seulrin asks curiously. 
 
"A girl like you. I'm waiting for a girl like you." 
 
"Seulrin ah! Take this latte over to table 8 please!" 
 
"Ah~" Seulrin laughs nervously. "I got to go! We can chat later maybe." She gave Byunghun a small wave before leaving the seat in a fluster as Byunghun chuckled and shook his head.  
 
-.-.- 
 
"Do you believe in angels?" Byunghun twirled the pen he was holding around his third and fourth fingers. 
 
"Bwoh? What kind of question is that?" Seulrin laughs at Byunghun's sudden weird question. 
 
Byunghun ignored Seulrin and continued his angel talk, "What would you wish for if you met an angel?" 
 
Seulrin looked down onto the table. "Well, I wish I had the courage to confess to someone I like." She sighed. 
 
Byunghun stopped twirling his pen and concentrated on Seulrin's face for a moment. "It's done. You can do it now."
 
Seulrin glanced back up at Byunghun. "I... I like you..." She bit her lower lip in suspense as she waited for Byunghun's response. 
 
Byunghun just chuckled. 
 
"Don't you like me too?" Seulrin asked him innocently. "You said you were waiting for a girl like me." 
 
"I did say that." Byunghun started, "I'm waiting for a girl like you. But I already have someone else in my heart. This girl, she's a very playful and cheeky girl. She often teases me and steals my kimchi at lunch." He laughs at the sudden memory. "We used to hang out here back in our high school days. She loves the aroma of coffee but can never drink it because it hurts her gastric. So I decided to invent a special blend of coffee that she is able to take. I'm waiting for a girl like you..." Byunghun paused, "a girl like you who can see me."
 
Seulrin gasped.
 
Flashback
Hana pinched and tickled Byunghun as he squirmed in his seat smiling shyly. "Yah stop squirming! I want to... Pinch you!" Hana laughs while pinching his cheeks. 
 
"How cute." She thought to herself. 
 
-.-.- 
 
"Kumao ah!" Hana grinned as she snatched Byunghun's container of kimchi away. 
"Ah yah! Kwon Hana that's mine!" Byunghun pouted. 
"It's mine now *mehrong." Hana stuck her tongue out at him before shoving some of Byunghun's kimchi into with her chopsticks before returning whatever that was left to him. 
 
Byunghun shook his head and giggled at Hana. He was willing to give her whatever she wanted.
 
Byunghun and Hana soon became very close friends. Wherever Hana was Byunghun would also be there. Including the time when a buff and handsome senior asked Hana out for a date. 
 
Hana hesitated and secretly glanced over to Byunghun who had his gaze on the floor instead. She sighed angrily before smiling at the senior, accepting his offer right away. 
 
Byunghun felt his heart sink at Hana's acceptance and quietly walked away from the both of them much to Hana's displeasure. 
 
From that day on, Hana always spent her time with the senior ignoring Byunghun wherever and whenever possible. It wasn't long before Hana started dating the senior. 
 
"Valentine's day is drawing near but I haven't any clue what to get for him." Hana cried out in frustration as she put her head on the table and sighed. "Should I ask Byunghun?" She mumbled.
 
-.-.-
 
"Byunghun ah, I need your help." Hana twirled a strand of her hair as she smiled sheepishly at Byunghun. 
 
Byunghun raised his eyebrows. 
 
"Could you... Help me to pick out a valentine's day gift for my boyfriend?" She asked real quick. 
 
"Shirreo." Byunghun rejected Hana straight on the spot. 
 
"Yah Lee Byunghun why are you being like this?!" Hana shouted angrily, "Is it so difficult to help out a good friend?" She spat. 
 
"No! It's not difficult to help a good friend. I won't say anything if you tease me and bully me everyday. I won't scold you if you steal my kimchi every time. But I cannot stand it when you ask me to help you to pick out a valentine's day gift for your precious boyfriend!" Byunghun shouted right back at Hana, tears were starting to make it's way down his eyes. "Because I like you. I like you Kwon Hana." 
 
Hana scoffed, "No you don't like me Lee Byunghun. If you liked me you wouldn't have let me dated that senior in front of you! You! Don't! Like! Me!" She repeatedly hits Byunghun on his chest. 
 
"Don't move and hand over your valuables to me!" A masked man suddenly appeared with a knife as he tried to take Hana's bag.
 
"You asked for it." The masked robber aimed the knife straight at Hana as she gripped her bag tightly refusing to give it to the robber.
 
"Hana!" Byunghun quickly embraced Hana as he shielded her from the stab. "Are you ok?" 
 
Hana could only cry in his embrace from shock as she looked at the blood in her hands. "Why are you so nice to me? Why must you be like this every time? Wae Lee Byunghun wae?!" She cried even harder as she stared at the knife still wedged in Byunghun's abdomen as blood poured out from the stab wound. She could feel his breathing become slower and his grip weaker. 
 
"Be... cause... I.. Like.. You... Ah... Ani... I.. Love.. Y. Y. You..." Byunghun smiled gently at Hana before falling into unconscious with her still in his embrace. 
 
"I... I like you too."
 
How many guys in this world would actually take the stab for a girl?
 
-.-.-
 
"Ah we can finally own this cafe!" Hana squeals in delight as she danced around the empty premise. 
 
"Sorry excuse me where do I put these?" A burly worker asked Hana showing her the different cafe furniture that the couple had bought to furnish the cafe. 
 
"Oh you can put the tables and chairs here... And the potted plant over at the corner...." 
 
Byunghun smiles gently at Hana getting all excited about the cafe droning on to the workers on how to place the various furnitures and coffee making machines. The beautiful sight melted in heart away and he could feel a tingle of warmth creeping into his body despite the cold rainy weather. 
 
"Jagiya" Byunghun called out to Hana once she has finished instructing and arranging everything in place.
 
"Oppa!" Hana rushes to Byunghun as she curiously looked at the cup of coffee he was holding onto. 
 
The coffee was a light brown colour with cream foam bubbling at the top accompanied by a little lavender flower floating calmly on the foam. 
 
"What's this?" Hana points at the coffee. 
 
"Try it. This won't hurt your gastric." Byunghun held out the tiny cup to her as Hana gladly takes it and sips it slowly. 
 
Her eyes lit up upon contact of her tongue with the cup of steaming coffee. "Mmmm this is the best coffee I've ever tasted! Does it have a name?" 
 
"It's called Lady Boss's special blend. Only this cafe's lady boss is able to taste it." Byunghun grinned as Hana buried her head into his chest, her heart swelled in happiness.
 
If only this moment of immense happiness could last forever...
 
"Oppa, let's view the cafe from the outside shall we?" Hana excitedly grabs an umbrella and started pulling Byunghun out of the cozy warm cafe. 
 
Unable to react to Hana's fast actions, Byunghun could only chuckle slightly and watch his childish girlfriend in amusement.
 
"... And many couples just like us would come by this cafe and the entire cafe would be filled with love and happy smiles!" Hana smiled at the thought of it. "Oh no but by then wouldn't we be very busy with so many customers?" She pouted towards Byunghun. 
 
The couple was standing just opposite the cafe admiring it from a road away. 
 
"Don't worry about that, I've already prepared hiring posters so that my dear lady boss wouldn't have to work to hard and get all the help she needs." Byunghun combs his fingers through Hana's hair affectionately. 
 
"Can I see it?" Hana looks up to Byunghun excitedly. 
 
"But it's in the cafe... Let's look at it tomorrow instead." Byunghun held Hana's hand, "it's getting colder, we should leave now or you're going to catch a cold." 
 
"But I want to see it now. Please oppa please! Now now now!" Hana clung onto Byunghun's arm swinging it back and forth, whining for him to fetch the posters for her immediately. 
 
Byunghun giggled at the adorable sight of his childish and willful girlfriend. "Ok then. Oppa will take it for you now alright. Wait here for me." He passed the umbrella he was holding onto for the both of them to Hana as he stepped into the rain and crossed the road to the cafe. 
 
Hana grinned happily in satisfaction but her smile vanished as fast as it came. The umbrella in her hand fell onto the ground with a slight thud.
 
Screech 
 
Bang
 
The headlights shone bright into the night, furiously knocking over Byunghun as he rolled and crashed onto the front windscreen of the car before rolling off further down the road from the extreme impact. 
 
"Oppa! Oppa! Andwae!" Hana screamed and ran towards Byunghun who was entirely soaked in his own pool of blood.
 
"Ha... Na... Ah..." Byunghun tried his best to pry his eyes open as blood started making it's way out of his mouth. He willed himself to reach out to Hana, touching her tear-stained cheeks one last time, looking straight into her eyes one last time, and smiling gently at her beautiful face on last time, before closing his eyes tiredly and letting his hand fall onto the black; black ground leaving Hana to cry alone by herself on the road with his lifeless bloodied body in her arms. 
 
No last words like sappy romance novels. This is reality. Byunghun is gone, forever.
 
-.-.-
 
Seulrin wipes her tears away. 
 
"That was so so sad." 
 
Byunghun cracked a small smile. "Would you help me now that you know my story Seulrin ah? Help Hana get back onto her feet, would you?" 
 
Seulrin slowly nodded her head. 
 
-.-.- 
 
For the next few days Seulrin worked hard on formulating different ingredients to recreate Byunghun's Lady Boss's special blend with Byunghun right by her side instructing her diligently. 
 
"Sajangnim..." Seulrin hesitantly called out to Hana who was sitting at her usual spot, blankly staring out the window as usual.  
 
"Wae?" Hana coldly glances at her. 
 
"This... This is for you." Seulrin gently settles a small cup of light brown colour coffee with creamy foam accompanied by a little lavender petal on top.
 
With trembling hands Hana slowly reached out to the cup and took a small sip.
 
"Where did you get this from?" She harshly dropped the cup onto the table with a loud thud as a tear slipped from the corner of her left eye. 
 
"Byunghun doesn't want to see you upset. If you keep clinging onto your past, he can't move on. You have to be happy in order for him to rest in peace Hana-sshi."
 
Hana choked out a mangled sob as she clutched tightly into the cup of Lady Boss's special blend. 
 
"I'm sorry Byunghun ah. I'm so so sorry..." 
 
-.-.- 
 
2 years later...
 
"Chanhee oppa ahhh open your mouth!" Seulrin giggled as she fed a piece of chocolate cake to her boyfriend. "Is it yummy?"
 
Chanhee nodded his head at her as he stabbed at another piece of the cake to deliver into his mouth. 
 
"Hana unnie makes the best cake in town." Seulrin grinned as she waved at Hana who was smiling happily as she busied herself behind the counter, making coffee for her customers. 
 
The entire cafe was bustling with pairs and pairs of couples. 
 
Seulrin sipped her mocha latte as she noticed a dashing man in a navy blue coat sitting at the far end of the cafe observing Hana silently. 
 
Feeling someone's gaze on him, the man turned and caught Seulrin's eyes. She smiled and nodded discreetly at him. 
 
*Byunghun ah, I'm glad you're doing well.*
 
-.-.-
 
I. Have. Absolutely. No. Idea. What. Is. This. Mess. I. Just. Wrote. 
But it has been sitting in my documents covered with dust for the longest time so I decided to just post it here. 
As usual I didn't really read through it so please pardon any mistakes made. 
I have to admit this is a terrible piece. 
I don't know what I was thinking while I was writing this but since it's already written... I don't really want to waste this storyline. 
So yup here you go. 
Again, comments are deeply appreciated. 
Have a great day!
xoxo