Ending 5: Yixing "The Dragon Mage"

The Well of Emerald Waters

This is part of a multi-post. Please be sure you've read from "The Fade" before continuing. 

 

CODEX UPDATED

The following story was pieced together somewhere near the end of the Dragon Age, 9:45, sometimes under the name "The Dragon Mage" which would be later added to the ending of A Compendium of Stories in the Dragon Age. Its origins thus place it within the realm of possibility that Yixing is the true villain of the Well of Emerald Waters, a legend and certainly a place thought lost to our times. As for this mystery, herein follows the tale. 

You'll have heard of Xiumin the Great? How about the Noble Mage. Yes? Do you know the story of the Hero Templar, The Three Adventurers of Ferelden, or even the Skywalker? Yes, and yes, and yes, should be your answers, for about these legends bards have much to sing. But do they sing of the Dragon Mage? Look to the skies. Have you heard the dragon!? 

His name was Yixing, an elven boy, born after a time of destruction. He lived in the shadows and in the wastes of the Exalted Marshes, nursing a grudge, both to avenge and to heal. Did he live for evil or for good? Is a person ever so very black or white? He learned many tricks and delved deeply in the the Fade, drawing forth magic unknown. He was a healer, first, a dragon second. He summoned bunnies to his feet, and expelled great villains. 

But at the well, that may have changed. Who knows the temptations of one's heart, when faced with such a power. He drank those healing waters, and reversed its power, swallowed the evil and spewed madness upon his companions instead. No sacrifice was he, but he sacrificed the others for his power was already too great. The Grey One was never the same after that day, and Xiumin the Great was eventually driven insane, to say nothing about his brother. How many survived that day? Will we actually know?

One has to wonder how old the Dragon Mage actually is. One wonders too about when he might die. Or does the Well of Emerald Waters, that terrible, evil place, actually grant the wish it promises: eternity. 

No one knows exactly where the Dragon Mage has gone, or where his quests now lie. But he's seen still, now and then, on a darkened night. And somewhere in its wake, the sounds of wolves howling at his spectacle. 

My friends, if you have seen the Dragon Mage, beware. Run fast and far, lock your doors, and hide in your cellars. But have hope, for the Three Adventurers are on his track. And one day, they claim, they'll bring it down once and for all. 

 

 

{Addendum to the story of the Dragon Mage, from an Orelesian Scout's Report, 10:54}

~Saw a dragon, location east of the Frostbacks

~Unthinkable, weren't most hunted to extinction in the last age 

~Gone to investigate

~Definitely a high dragon, but not a female, which should not be possible

~Upon closer inspection of its breeding grounds, we found no dragon

~Met a friendly elf instead, young fellow, a healer by the name of Yixing

 

{Follow-up to the Scout's Report, 10:57}

~Sent more scouts to the proclaimed location of the dragon, as the former never returned after the last missive; these scouts have now also not returned. Suggest to the general that we send no more recruits to this area until the whereabouts of the dragon is confirmed. Suggest even more strongly that we avoid this area indefinitely at all costs. Let the blasted thing be and let us wipe our hands of becoming its prey. 

 

 


 

Was this ending not your cup of tea? Try a different one! Or go ahead and skip to the EPILOGUE