Ch. 1

The Maze

       As the cold, gray walls of The Grove were struck by blinding sunlight, a boy with mussed, dark hair tumbled out of bed. He snapped open one eye, and sighed as he got up. Another boy messily threw himself out of bed, his red hair molded to the side of his head. He smiled sleepily, and got up, stretching. The red haired boy merely yawned, and pulled his graphic tee on. The dark haired teenager walked to the kitchen, and started turning on the coffee machine. He yawned sleepily as the aromatic, brown liquid streamed into his "COMMES DES DOWN" mug. He ran a hand messily through his hair, as if to try to revive his still sleeping body. The boy walked to the bathroom, and brushed his teeth. He washed his face, and took a shower. Once he felt alive, he walked down the stairs normally, only to find his coffee mug empty. His eyes narrowed, and he panned his sight over to the living room, where another blue haired boy was sitting on the couch, his teeth chattering, while he hugged his knees to his chest. The blue haired boy smiled at the other, and stood up from the couch, bouncing on his toes, as if he were about to fly up and away, through the dorm roof, and into the sky. What a miracle. 

       "Hi, Jae Bum hyung? What was that brown stuff in the cup? It tasted really good, like bitterish, but then, sweet! What's it called? Why is there a pounding in my ear? I feel like I'm on top of the world! But seriously, what was in that cup? I wanna fly! I feel like running five times around the Grove!" Jae Bum looked into his empty mug with a forlorn expression on his face, before giving Bam Bam a look full of annoyance. Mark, the red haired boy, walked down the stairs, holding the coffee pot in one hand, and his own "AMERI-THAI-KONG" mug that he had designed himself, in the other hand. He silently filled Jae Bun's empty mug, while chewing on a piece of slightly burned toast. Jae Bum stared.

       "Why is your toast burnt?" Mark put the coffee pot and his custom-made mug on the mahogany table. He turned to Jae Bum, and pulled the piece of toast out from his mouth.

       "Burnt toast, Jae Bum, is art. You have to make sure that the sides are only golden crispy, while the middle of the bread is slightly black, so that you can still see some of the golden bread in the black. The bitter taste mixes with the hearty taste of bread, making the smell, and the taste twice as good. No one likes plain old toast, Jae Bum. You gotta accept that." Jae Bum snorted as Mark proceeded to lecture him about burnt toast.

       "Jae Bum! Are you even listening to me about the art of bread? Hey. Heeeeyyyyy. Hey!" Mark proceeded to  snap his fingers in front of Jae Bum's face. Bam Bam passed out on the couch after the caffeine overdose. That's when there was a loud knocking on ther front door, and Jae Bum heard shouts of "newbie," and "rookie." The were loud footsteps outside their door, as people ran towards the center of the Grove. There was the smell of burning iron in the air, and the sound of whirring cogs filled everyone's ears. Mark ran out the door, leaving Jae Bum behind to wake up Bam Bam. He ended up luggung the lanky teenager out the door, and onto the green grass that grew in the Grove center. Mark snorted at Bam Bam, and walked towards the Gate. The Gate is the place where the Grove got monthly supplies, and a newbie, but they don't know from where these supplies and people came from. As the smell got stronger, Jae Bum jogged lightly towards the entrance of The Gate, peering inside. His eyes widened, as the crate came up. In the crate, was monthly supplies, and the most beautiful boy Jae Bum had ever seen in his life. The boy peered up at the boys surrounding the crate, and locked eyes with Jae Bum. Jae Bum started to put out a hand to help up the angelic looking boy, but another boy beat him to it.

       "Hi, I'm Daehyun! It's really nice to meet you! What's your name? What power do you have?" The boy looked bewildered, and looked around, seeking help, and once again, locked eyes with Jae Bum. His deep brown eyes were filled with confusion, and fear. Jae Bum gulped as he stepped towards the boy.

       "H-hi. I'm Jae Bum. Welcome to The Grove. You'll most likely remember your name after a while, and you'll gain your power after a few days. My power's manipulation of all things, inanimate, and animate. I'll show you around, okay? Then, I'll have you room with my best friend Jinyoung. He'll take care of you. Properly, at least."

       "Young Jae." Jae Bum paused. He looked at the beautiful boy again.

       "I'm sorry, would you please repeat that? I couldn't quite hear yo-"

       "Young Jae. My name is Choi Young Jae." Jae Bum smiled a little, the corners of his lips rising slightly.

       "Well, that's a nice name. Well, Choi Young Jae, welcome to The Grove, or as I like to call it, 'The Depths of Living Hell.' Welcome, newbie!" Young Jae laughed a little at Jae Bum's crude humor, while Jae Bum stared at him in confusion.

       "What? Did I do something wrong?" He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly as he asked this question. Young Jae merely shook his head cutely, and laughed again. Someone cleared their throat obnoxiously behind them. Jae Bum swerved around to find Daehyun still standing, tapping his foot impatiently against the ground. 

        "You know, I was kind of planning on showing Young Jae around The Grove, so if you'll excuse me, we'll be on our wa-" 

       "I think I have the capability of taking Young Jae around The Grove, Daehyun. Leave us alone, we'll be fine." Daehyun narrowed his eyes at Jae Bum.

       "But I saw him first," he began.

       "Just because you saw him first, doesn't mean that he's yours, okay, Daehyun?" 

       "I'll show him around. You two go argue some where else, you're scaring the poor baby!" The bickering teenagers turned to find Jinyoung with his arms around Young Jae's shoulders in a motherly fashion. Jinyoung was staring sternly at the two boys, while rubbing circles into Young Jae's back.

       "He just got here, so you guys should be welcoming him with open arms, not arguments over stupid things! And no, Young Jae, you're not stupid, I'm just making a reference to what they usually argue about, okay?" Young Jae nodded slowly. As they walked off, Daehyun pushed Jae Bum back a little by the shoulders.

       "What the hell do you think you're doing? I saw him first, so he's mine!" Jae Bum rolled his eyes.

       "He's not an object, Daehyun, he's a human. You can't just go claiming him like he's a new toy for you to play with." Daehyun smirked, and crossed his arms.

       "At least I get more boyfriends than you, Jae Bum. Everybody here wants me, including you." Daehyun poked Jae Bum in the middle of his toned chest roughly before walking away. He turned back.

       "And remember, he's mine." Jae Bum narrowed his eyes at Daehyun, before walking away. Meanwhile, Jinyoung was giving Young Jae the grand tour of The Grove. 

       "This here, Young Jae, is The Dorms. You'll room here with me! I'll take care of you, alright? Oh! By the way, my power's water." Young Jae looked at the huge dorm, and gasped. 

      "Wow! The dorm's so big! Are you sure I can live here with you?" Jinyoung laughed softly. He patted Young Jae on the head softly.

       "Of course you can, Young Jae." There was a soft knocking on their door, and Jinyoung ran over to open it. He let out a little gasp, as he saw who was at the front door.

       "Hi, Jinyoung."

       "Mark! What a surprise!" Young Jae looked over from the sectioned couch in the living room, to see who was there.

       "Hey... aren't you Jae Bum-ssi's friend?" Mark curiously looked over at Young Jae. He grinned widely, recognizing the boy from The Gate. The one tht Jae Bum was ranting about.

       "Hey! You're the cute newbie that Jae Bum and Daehyun were fighting over! I'm Mark Tuan, and my power's teleportation. Welcome to The Grove!" Young Jae smiled.

       "Thanks." Mark looked back to Jinyoung.

       "Has he gotten his powers yet?" Jinyoung shook his head.

       "No, I don't think he even knows wha-"

       "My power's telekinesis." They both looked over to Young Jae, wide eyed.

       "You're the first person with telekinesis! That's awesome!" Young Jae blushed. That's when loud footsteps burst through the front door, to reveal a tall teenager wearing a snapback. He jumped onto Mark's back, and started putting him into a headlock. Mark yelped as he swayed backwards from the boy's weight.

       "Jackson," he choked out. "Get off of me!" The latter grinned. Jin Young proceeded to pull the heavy boy away from Mark, using all of his strength.

       "Jackson! Off of him! Now!" Jackson pouted as he climbed off of Mark. He spotted Young Jae, and grinned widely at him.

       "What up, newbie? Welcome to The Grove! I'm Jackson!" Young nodded in thanks, and went to explore outside. He ran into a young looking boy with blue hair, bickering with an extremely tall boy with grey hair.

       "No! G-Dragon is way better than Tae Yang! Get that through your thick skull, Kim Yugyeom!" The grey haired boy snarled playfully at the boy.

       "That is so not true, Bam Bam! Tae Yang sunbae-nim is way more awesome than G-Dragon sunbae-nim! Have you seen Tae Yang sunbae-nim's fighting skills? He's amazing! And he's kind, and helpful, and handsome, and talented, and he's way better than G-Dragon sunbae-nim!" Bam Bam rolled his eyes, and shook his head at Young Jae, giving him a playful, "he's crazy," gesture. Young Jae laughed, while Yugyeom kept ranting about Tae Yang.

       "Bam Bam hyung! Listen to me!" Bam Bam glared cutely at Yugyeom, while putting his hands on his hips.

       "You rant just like Mark hyung! Just this morning, he was teaching Jae Bum hyung about burnt toast!" Yugyeom snorted while rolling his eyes.

      "Typical of Mark hyung..."

       "Who's talking about me?" Bam Bam and Yugyeom screamed, and clung on to each other in fear as Mark teleported right in front of them. He squinted at the gossiping teenagers, and gave each of them a knock on the head that echoed through their skulls.

       "You guys gotta stop gossiping about random people. And important ones, too. Yugyeom, I know you love Tae Yang, but if G-Dragon hears you, you're in deep . And Bam Bam, same goes for you. If Tae Yang ever heard you, he'd beat you like-" Bam Bam nudged Yugyeom, while he nodded.

     "Oh! Mark hyung! Didn't you say something about burnt toast?" Mark's face brightened.

       "Why yes, I did! How did you ever know! I was teaching Jae Bum all about it, and..." Bam Bam rolled his eyes sarcastically as he watched the two talk about the art of burnt toast, and how stupid Jae Bum was to not realize that burnt toast was a lost art. He turned to an extremely confused Young Jae, and stuck out his hand. Young Jae took it, and smiled.

       "Hi. I'm Choi Young Jae. And I'm assuming you're Bam Bam?" Bam Bam smiled.

       "Well, Bam Bam's just a nickname. My real name's Kunpimook Bhuwakul. That tall doofus over there with the gray hair's Kim Yugyeom. Nice to meet you, Choi Young Jae. Welcome to The Grove." Young Jae smiled, and walked off, leaving the bickering trio behind. He accidentally bumped into somebody. He started to fall, and was expecting cold, hard ground, but instead, he felt warm arms around him. He looked up to see the boy from earlier. The Jae Bum guy. He never realized how smoldering his eyes were. He gulped, and turned red as he was helped onto his feet.

        "Hello. You're Jae Bum-ssi, right?" Jae Bum nodded, and smiled at him.

       "Yeah. Choi Young Jae, right? Nice to meet you. I don't think I really got a chance to introduce myself earlier. The name's Im Jae Bum. My power's manipulation." Young Jae nodded.

       "I think you told me all that earlier..." Jae Bum blushed as he rubbed the back of his neck cutely. He flashed another breath taking smiled at Young Jae.

       "Well, Choi Young Jae. Want me to show you around?" Young Jae thought of Jinyoung's unfinished tour. He smiled, and nodded.

       "Sure."