Did You Miss Me?

One Way or Another

I lay in bed - a king sized bed in my huge house because earning big bucks as a news reporter pays off - at this very moment. I'm very glad my boss had let me take time off, he knew about my current situation as did all of the staff in the channel six news building all because of Yongguk who couldn't keep his damn mouth shut when I asked him to keep this discreet. Now they all feel sympathetic over me, and I am one who doesn't like having attention drawn on me despite being a news reporter. I only did the job for my father. I have thought about quitting, but his and my mother's death motivated me to keep my job. I had no other places to go, my parents had died in a bad house fire that I choose not to talk about. 

Anyway, I lay on my side, hands underneath the side of my head, a blanket wrapped tightly and securely around me as I peered out at dull, grey skies through the window. I didn't want to encounter the one who made my life traumatic. It's too much for me, but then again, life is cruel, unpredictable. 

I sighed before hearing the ring tone of my iPhone on the desk aGucross the room by a window. I thought about not answering until I thought it could be Yongguk, or Himchan with news telling me they caught my stalker, but I was getting way ahead of myself and it turned out to be Hyoseong, odd. 

"Youngjae-ssi, how are you doing? Are you alright?"

The question on my mind was, how did she get my number, but I thought again, it was probably Yongguk. Damn Yongguk and his helpful spirit. 

"I'm fine, thank you Hyoseong."

We talked for an awkward five minutes before she hung up, muttering something about meeting the new reporter that'll be filling in for me for the time I was going to be off. I heard his name was Kim Jongdae, I think. I also heard that he was originally supposed to have my job before me until he was promoted to a head news reporter, like I was, in a different city. The cold chill of my room pulled me out of my thoughts and I put my phone back down on the desk before making my way down the long hallway to the stairs. 

After a bowl of cereal and spacing off, I climbed the stairs once more to get dressed and to take a shower. I sighed in content as the warm water of the shower hit my skin. I finished washing myself and once I was done and dried, I finally decided that meeting up with a friend should help me. So I dialed the number of the person I really wanted to see. 

After a few rings, he picked up. 

"Youngjae! Long time no hear!"

I smiled at the friendly tone he always had and chuckled lightly at his remark. 

"It's only been a few days."

"True, but I just really like to have you as my friend."

I laughed again, he was always so nice to me, but sometimes he was just a little too nice, but what was wrong with that?

"Is it okay if we could meet up?"

"Sure, when?"

"Now," I didn't want to sound too desperate, but I failed miserably. 

"Sure, I can manage. So I'll see you?"

"Yeah, thank you, Jaebum. I'll be right over there."

I was relieved as I hung up and put my shoes on. I exited my house, and, because I don't really know how to drive nor do I own a car, I waited at the bus stop. I quickly got on the bus once it arrived, and the police unit followed. I sat on the bus until it stopped in the city a few blocks away from the cafe Jaebum worked at, and I stepped off. I met Jaebum about a week ago, he was new to the area from being overseas almost his whole life, and I knew right away that we would make great friends. I greeted Jaebum happily and for the first time since yesterday, I was laughing and smiling. For once I felt like a normal person who wasn't being stalked. But I knew it was only temporary. 

 

<< * >>

 

Himchan drummed his fingers on the conference table, sitting back on the chair as his team was discussing the last whereabouts of Jung Daehyun. After he had informed Junhong and Jongup on what was going on, they were on the job right away. Anyway, apparently, after Daehyun had been released from prison, he tried to go back home, but was immediately rejected. Himchan couldn't blame his parents - how would you feel if your son was a psycho love stricken man for another man?

"Now, a lady Jongup talked to a while ago had said she'd seen him around. Mainly the park." Junhong said. 

"Which park?" Himchan asked. 

"Uh," Junhong's eyes skimmed over the report from Jongup, "Ah, Children's Grand Park in the Gwangjin area."

Himchan pursed his lips in deep thought. "What else did the witness say?"

"She said he mainly sits on benches and observes. 'Not really an outgoing guy' she said about him." It was Jongup's turn to speak. 

Himchan nodded. "What are the park's hours?"

"Uh, from 5 am to 5 pm and the zoo closes at 6 pm." Junhong answered his question. 

Then realization hit Himchan, and he sat forward on his chair abruptly. 

"Wait, did you say that the park was in the Gwangjin area?" The two young detectives nodded, and realization hit them too. 

"Yeah, and the Gwangjin area, isn't that where Youngjae lives?" Junhong asked and Himchan nodded and the three of them felt completed with smiles on their faces as they had finally gotten a lead on this case. They were going to arrest Jung Daehyun the chance they get. 

 

<< * >>

 

I reluctantly said my goodbyes with Jaebum, watching as he walked down my driveway, we had spent the whole day hanging out after he had gotten off from work, and I had the most fun I had in years. Jaebum was indeed my best friend. As soon as I got home, I, of course, locked the front and back doors and closed the curtain of every window tightly. The policeman told me they were going to check around the house and make sure it was secure. 

Since I was still full from the food I ate with Jaebum, and it was nighttime, I decided to take a shower before bed. I watched the evening news, and I noticed that Hyoseong wasn't there, but then again, over our phone call earlier in the day, she mentioned that her brother was in town. I shut the television off and went to take my shower. 

The warm water ran over my skin like delicate silk and as soon as I had started to shampoo my hair, I heard a crash downstairs, like the sound of glass breaking. The moment the sound hit my ears, I tensed and began to get nervous, really nervous. I washed what was left of the shampoo out of my hair and turned the shower off. As quietly and as fast as I could, I dried myself off and put my fresh clothes on. I thought of signaling to the policemen outside in my driveway, but then I remembered that they were walking around my house which had to be so goddamn huge. 

Suddenly, another sound echoed throughout my mansion, this time it was the sound of a door being opened and closed. I opened my bedroom door, making sure to take my phone in case I needed to dial 911, and walked cautiously down the long hallway, my phone clutched tightly, closely to my chest where I noticed the rapid heart speed I had. I slowly and quietly walked down the stairs and there was the sound of footsteps near me. They seemed to be receding, but they were coming closer, closer to where I was. Then they stopped altogether. I dialed 911, and as soon as the lady answered, I saw him. Dressed all in black with combat boots and wearing a terrifying mask as he ran towards me at full speed. 

I turned around and ran up the stairs, screaming for help, but he was too fast, and a hand gripped my ankle. I fell with a hard thud and a yelp. I turned around to see him still gripping my ankle. I struggled until I was finally able to think properly and I kicked him in the face. He fell back and I booked it up my stairs where I barricaded myself in the nearest room - my study. Once the locks were locked and I was out of his reach, I dialed for Himchan. 

"Please pick up, please, please, please." I chewed my bottom lip anxiously as tears started to well up, I was sweating bullets, and my heart was beating so fast it felt like it was going to burst every second I heard the line ring. After the fourth ring, he answered and I have never been so glad in my life to hear his raspy voice. "Himchan!" I practically yelled. 

"What? What is it? What's wrong?"

"He's in my house! He's in my-" I was cut off as the door was kicked open and I looked at the intruder, the same masked man, and I backed away behind the desk. 

"Hello? Hello? Youngjae! Are you okay?! I'm coming right now."

Himchan's voice was overheard on the phone lying on the floor where I dropped it before he hung up. The masked man stared at me, his head slowing tilting in a creepy fashion. It occurred to me that he looked rather short. I was breathing heavily as he just stared at me. Then came the sounds of sirens in the distance, I spared only one quick glance out the window, and I turned back to see him charging for me, I screamed and he harshly pushed me against the wall. My damp bangs fell over my eyes as I saw him run out of the room and possibly back down the stairs where he had intruded my home. 

Everything next happened in a blur, I sat down and Himchan, along with his team, burst into my home with guns drawn, but there was no suspect to catch. Himchan came into my study and he helped me up, walked with me down to my living room, apologized that they weren't in time to catch him and that he would find Jung Daehyun, and arrest him again. 

"Are you okay?"

I nodded slowly, but I knew and he knew that I really wasn't. "I'll be okay. I just, I just. . . Why weren't the policemen helping me?"

Himchan's eyes averted to the open door, and my eyes followed to see two stretchers each carrying a body covered in a sack. They were killed. We stayed in silence before Himchan spoke again. 

"Were you able to get a good look at his face?"

The image of the terrifying mask flashed vividly through my mind and I shook my head. 

"I couldn't see his face. He was wearing a mask."

"Can you describe the mask?"

Once again, the image flashed vividly through my mind and I slowly nodded. Himchan brought out his notepad and pen. 

"The mask was. . . It looked like a clown. The colors I remember were white, red, and a little bit of black. And there had been this creepy smile on it, there were little bells that made such a quiet sound and. . ." The image disappeared and I could only remember the sheer fear I felt looking at it. 

"It's okay, Youngjae. You've given enough information on the mask and we'll look into it." Himchan gave me the most reassuring smile he could muster up and squeezed my shoulder. 

With that, I was left with new policemen as my protectors. They were parked in my driveway in their unit. As soon as I was alone, I lost it. I broke down, crying relentless rears. I was so scared, what had happened was scary as . I couldn't believe it. He was in my house. I cried until my eyes started to hurt and my legs started to ache from being crossed over one another in my living room. I stood up, my legs feeling a little stiff, and I walked back up the stairs where I went to retrieve my phone in the study. I sat down on the leather chair behind the desk and dialed the number of the person I really wanted to hear right now, but another person was calling as soon as I picked my phone up, and when I saw the caller ID, I tensed. Unknown Number. 

I didn't answer, in fear of the caller being him. But after its umpteenth and annoying ring, I reluctantly answered. With a trembling hand, I put the phone to my ear. 

"H-hello?"

An eerie silence was heard and a few shuffling noises, before rather harsh breathing could be heard. 

"Hello. . . Jae."

I tensed and froze completely, and my eyes prickled. The honey-like voice was heard through the phone. He spoke in his Busan accent. I couldn't bring myself to move, or say anything but the one thing I wanted to say to him. 

"Please leave me alone," I sounded desperate, was desperate. 

"You know I can't do that, but can I ask you a question?"

 I stayed quiet, tears were threatening to fall, and he continued speaking despite my silence. 

"Did you miss me?"

After the question was spoken, I ended the call quickly and I put my phone on the desk in front of me, curled up in the chair, and, after shedding a few tears and letting out a few sobs, I was soon fast asleep. One thing on my mind. Why me?