Second/Last (EDITING)

Get a hint

Ever since that day, nothing has been the same for Youngjae. After that, Mark Tuan made sure to visit him every single time after his basketball practice without fail. It bewildered the younger boy because he couldn’t think of any reason of why the hottest guy of the whole school would hang out him. It wouldn’t surprise him if he had better things to do, and when he always asked him about it, his sunbae just replied with a simple shrug and a knowing smile on his face. Youngjae didn’t mind at all having him there as company because frankly, he hasn’t seen another choir member since the first day. It gets lonely every once in a while, and having Mark Tuan’s presence there helped him be aware that there was someone there.

However, another huge, even part of him is all over the place. It wasn’t too long ago that he discovered his feelings, and now that his sunbae was there with him at such a short distance from him, he literally went dizzy. Luckily, Mark Tuan was there to catch him just in time before he met a tragic fall, and his face burned crimson because their bodies were touching each other and it felt so nice and cool to have him there. Youngjae didn’t ever want to leave his arms. It was ridiculous because it was only a fleeting moment, and yet, his heart had been flamed with strong emotions that he felt for his sunbae. The older one chuckled at the reaction of the younger one, and maintained skin ship for a little longer than needed to see what would happen.

What happened next was simple.

Too much skin ship for his fragile heart.

He literally went overboard in his mind. Red lights had been flashing on and off for a while now, and the little imaginary workers of his brain pressed the emergency button. A huge sound was heard the moment they pressed it, and everyone scattered through out the whole brain, trying to save every important document that was known as Choi Youngjae. But as the whole brain started to break down, workers decided it was better to ditch the documents and save their own lives so they grabbed a parachute and jumped to somewhere safe. If only Mark Tuan knew the kind of effect he had on the poor younger boy.

If only it was just that. It seemed like Mark Tuan was keen on making him faint every single time they hang out with each other because he always, always says something that get his hopes up and leave him there hanging. Every single time was like the very first time they met each other. The older boy makes decent conversation, and then, he drops the bomb and leaves without looking back. For example, on the same day where Youngjae fainted for the first time and Mark Tuan was there to catch him, the younger boy woke up in the infirmary room. There was no one else except for them, and it made his heart race faster than it was already. His sunbae was sitting next to him, looking over him and the thought of him worried made him extremely happy.

The younger boy slowly got up and sat down, making himself comfortable in the bed as Mark Tuan stared at him. When he felt his sunbae’s stare, he blushed a little and looked up to meet his eyes again. “W-Why a-are you looking at me l-like that?” Youngjae asked, a little timid because his stare was the same as always. Intense. He’s not sure if he’ll ever get used to it.

And as usual, his sunbae never answered immediately. The younger boy frowned slightly and his blush deepened. “Y-Yah! S-Stop staring!” he whined. It didn’t make any difference, and he had to wonder why he even tried when he knew it was going to be like that. He pouted now, but this time the older boy cranked a small smile. His sunbae had the same mischievous glint in his eyes that made Youngjae prepare mentally for whatever bomb he was going to drop now. He looked everywhere but Mark Tuan when he saw that his lips parted to speak.

“It’s because you look cute while you sleep.”

Youngjae didn’t even bother trying to hide the fact it made him incredibly embarrassed, and how he chocked on his saliva because how could it not? No one had ever said those words to him before, and although he might’ve read it on some fanfiction or manga online, it was a whole different story in real life. It was actually a very embarrassing thing to say. Cheesy, even. He seriously wondered at that moment how his sunbae didn’t even seem fazed at it.

With the same gorgeous smile he always has after he drops the bomb, he gets up and leaves without speaking another word or looking back. Youngjae thinks he might go crazy with the way Mark Tuan does things, especially with the way how he walks away. It always had that same sass and confidence in his walk, so unlike the first day he first laid his eyes on him, where he was walking calmly and coolly without a care in the world. He loves how he walks both ways, but that sass and confidence was just something so irresistible.  He just wanted to hurry up and make that claim of his before anyone did.

But then again, Mark Tuan was a prince among peasants and magical creatures. Youngjae saw himself more fit with the magical creatures, and he settled with a fairy because he wasn’t sure what else he could be. Anyways, why would a prince ever be with a fairy? A peasant had more chances with him than a fairy ever would. So clearly, making his claim on a prince like him would only happen in his fantasies.

 

♥♥♥♥♥♥

 

Youngjae often day dreamed without even realizing. It’s another habit he had created during his years and one he hadn’t been able to break so easily. His best friend, Park Jinyoung, would often do him the favor and put him out of his misery during class before the teacher snapped him out of it.

(It’s already happened once to him. The first time it happened was during middle school in algebra, and he was sitting near the window. He was thinking how nice the day looked, how the blue of the sky and the green of the trees contrasted wonderfully one another, and that somehow ended with him thinking about cat mermaids singing Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid. To this day, he’s still not sure how that even happened, but it did, and because of that random day dream of his, he earned detention for singing out loud unconsciously Part of Your World. Though his teacher did eventually admit that he sang well, he was still embarrassed to death, and Jinyoung, being the good friend he was, pitied him and did him the favor ever since.)

It was one of those days of his. It was History and the class was so ever slow that his mind sort of drifted once more without difficulty. His day dreams, however, have changed drastically because all he ever day dreamed now was Mark Tuan.

Mark Tuan…

He could easily imagine them now together. It was a hard thing for Youngjae to imagine them together, but that’s a thing of the past.  Ever since Mark Tuan took the initiative to talk to him, it’s been like living in the clouds.

All Youngjae really wants to do is just be with him. Sure, kissing and doing more does sound nice and tempting, he’d much prefer going on a date with him. They would hold hands all the way to the movies, and argue about which movie to see because they both have different tastes about everything. In the end, they would make a compromise and watch what the younger one wants, just to please him, and then the next time they come, they watch what Mark wanted to watch. Then they would order a big bag of popcorn for them to share and sit all the way in the back and chatter away. It would be casual and easy until their hands touch in the popcorn like in the movies, and although they were holding hands before, Youngjae would still pull it away because he’s embarrassed. His sunbae would talk in his smoothing and baritone voice that he just oh, so loves and make him melt for the one hundred times that day. And then before he knows it, their lips meet one another and he closes his eyes because it was meant to be…

It was then the cutie felt his head being slapped by none other than his best friend, and he pouted because it hurt more than other times. Youngjae looked over and Jinyoung leaned in with a sweet smile. “You were almost drooling, you know.” He teased.

The boy felt his face redden in embarrassment and he frowned, not bothering to hide the fact that he was blushing. His best friend already knew anyways. What would be the use to hide it now? “Shut up, Park!”

“Were you dreaming of your dear sunbae?” Jinyoung cooed, making kissy faces like a 5 years old would do.

“Why am I even friends with you?” Youngjae mumbled mostly to himself and sighed before lying down his head on his desk.

His best friend seemed to sense the change in mood, and he instantly furrowed his brows in worry. “What’s wrong?”

He contemplated for a moment whether he should tell him or not, but the decision wasn’t hard. If he didn’t share his thoughts, he was sure to go crazy. (Possibly more than he already was.) “It’s just I really like him…”

“And?”

“I don’t know if he likes me…”

“Uh huh.”

“And I really want to be with him…”

“Then confess to him.” Several heartbeats passed in silence and all that was heard was the endless blabbing of the teacher going on about the French Revolution. When the sentence processed clearly in the cutie’s mind, his face blushed brightly and he looked down at his notebook. He started to doodle little hearts on his notebook, and his best friend could only watch him do so because in the end it was his decision after all. “If it serves you as consolation, I think he likes you and you should go for it.” Jinyoung said before sitting back properly again on his seat and paying attention to class for once… which didn’t last long before he started to talk to someone else.

Many doubts and insecurities started to appear one after another as he continued to doodle some more. When he stopped, he buried himself in his arms and closed shut his eyes.

 “Then confess to him.” Easier said than done, stupid.

 

♥♥♥♥♥♥

 

It was another afternoon and Youngjae was once again in the club room playing the piano. There was no basketball practice that day so he had nothing to look at, and he settled with practicing some more his piano skills. He didn’t feel like singing that day. And although everything else was like the usual, there was something different. He was actually waiting for a certain someone to show up.

The cutie realizes that he shouldn’t get used to this because it will never happen, but it’s something beyond his ends. He loves spending the afternoon with Mark Tuan. It was something he always looked forward to now, and just the mere presence of him made his day one hundred times better. It’s okay if he didn’t return his feelings because he found their current relationship the most comfortable one for both of them.

(If only he listened more to his best friend.)

Like it was on cue, the door opens and Youngjae instantly looks over to the door only to have his heart stop again. He could never seem to get used to Mark Tuan’s appearance, even though they’ve been hanging out with each other for the past weeks. Oh my gosh…

Weeks!

His heart fluttered in happiness upon the realization, and the happiness was just so evident that even Mark Tuan was smiling. While Youngjae smiled like an idiot (his smile reached up to his ears), his sunbae made way to sit down next to him with that adorable smile of his. His eyes were different from usual. They weren’t intense as always, instead that day they were full of adoration and a little something else. His gorgeous dark brown eyes twinkled in the poor light the club room had, and they reflected the cutie’s reflection in them.

However, Youngjae was still torn over his suspicions. While that adoration from his eyes was something new, he couldn’t help but feel like all this time his sunbae was telling him something. There were all these subtle hints all these time, but he really couldn’t understand what Mark Tuan was telling him.

He shouldn’t even be feeling like that anyways. Where did his resolve from a little while ago go? Besides, even if there was a chance, did Mark Tuan even like guys? The thought only dawned to him at that moment and he was almost caught off guard by it. Youngjae stopped smiling all together and looked back at the piano, a little surprised. If before he had doubts and insecurities, now he had doubled the doubts and insecurities. He bit his lower lip in thought, ignoring the way his sunbae kept eyeing it and took a sharp inhale of breath.

The older one sat next to him and looked at the piano, his smile never leaving his face. “I once took some piano classes…” Mark Tuan suddenly said, positioning his fingers on the piano and snapping the younger one from his thoughts. “But if I remember, then that’s another thing completely.”

This made the cutie giggle effortlessly and Youngjae shook his head. “I noticed.” He said, pointing to his sunbae’s hands. “What song are you trying to play?”

“Twinkle Little Star…”

“Then you’re way wrong.” The younger one laughed out loud, back to his usual self and he then grabbed his sunbae’s hands to move them where their supposed to be. He really didn’t think twice about the action because he was just trying to show him the ropes. However, if this was seen by other people then they would have had the wrong idea. “It’s like this…”

Mark Tuan didn’t answer for a long time. He kept quiet the whole time and Youngjae wondered if he had done something wrong to him. All that was heard was the soft sound of the piano playing Twinkle Little Star and the occasional footsteps from outside. The younger one was about to speak up when the other cut him off. “Let’s go on a date.”

What?

Youngjae wanted to voice out his surprise, but Mark Tuan didn’t let him even think twice about it. The older one had already dragged him out of their seats (yes, they were holding hands!) and then out of school. They were walking fast so the younger one didn’t have time to notice the looks they were given by passerbies. He could hear faint murmuring from other people though, but it was quickly replaced by the sounds of the city and the cars passing by. It was only then that they stopped to catch their breath.

Both males were busy catching their breaths for a few minutes before they looked around them. The younger looked once more at his dear sunbae and he flailed around his arms in a dramatic manner. “Why?”

It was such a simple question but it felt like it would change the world for Youngjae if he just answered it. But Mark Tuan never likes making things easy. Instead of answering him properly, his sunbae smiled wickedly and shrugged with his shoulders. “Just go with it for now.” He said, amusement dripping in each word he said. “Let’s go to the movies! I think 50 Shades of Gray is currently playing.”

To this, the younger one immediately made an exasperated sound as the shade of red adorned his adorable cheeks. “Why would you want to see that?! It’s p-p-!”

Mark Tuan laughed out loud, his high pitched laugh going through one of Youngjae’s ears to another. He lightly slapped his sunbae’s arm, embarrassed to death because once again his sunbae was laughing at him. “Yah! S-Stop laughing! It’s not funny!”

“Yes, it is!” Mark Tuan managed to say in between his fit of laughter. “Because I was only joking!”

“Oh…” Upon realization, Youngjae’s cheeks were flaring even more than before and he hid his face from the older one. He could still hear Mark Tuan laughing his off, and it was only then he realized that his crush was a huge freaking meanie for tricking him like that… and all the other times he tricked him into thinking he might actually like him. Just what did he see in him?

“Yah, I was only kidding. Let’s watch whatever you want to.”

Like this, Mark Tuan always manages to make his heart melt into a puddle of goo. All it took him was a simple phrase like that to make all of his barriers come down again and bear out his soul to him. Every trace of embarrassment he felt a minute ago was gone as fast as lighting, and his face brightened up at the statement.

“Really?!”

“Of course.”

“Oh! Then I really want to see the new Cinderella movie!” the cutie exclaimed, his eyes shinning in excitement and happiness.

His sunbae had to resist laughing his off (because Youngjae was being such an adorable piece of ). “Then let’s go.” And like it was natural thing for them to do, Mark Tuan takes a hold of his hand and holds it tight before leading him to the movies.

Maybe it was because Youngjae was too busy feeling surprised earlier, but he was surprised by how manly and strong Mark Tuan’s hands were. They were completely different from his; delicate and a little bit fluffy but soft despite everything. The older one’s hands were much firmer than his, making the way they held hands a little protective over his hands. The action was nonstop heart thumping against his chest, and the cutie had to swallow the lump he had in his throat. To be claimed by his sunbae, would it be something similar to this?

The trip to the movies took a lot longer than the cutie had expected. They were still pretty far from the nearest movie theater so they had to walk a bit before finally getting there. The trip was worth it though. Every minute that passed and they were still holding hands, Youngjae had to take deep breaths in order to calm down his fragile heart. He never wanted it to end. It reminded him of the time Mark Tuan was there to catch his fall and like it was the first time, his heart swooned over the memory. Although back then had only been a moment that he was in his sunbae’s arms, now it had been more than 5 minutes they were holding hands. Needless to say, the cutie was in pure bliss.

But of course, every moment of bliss ends. They had to stop holding hands when Mark Tuan went to order their tickets and told him to wait. The younger one tried to mask his hidden disappointment with his usual smile and enthusiasm. It proved to work because his previous disappointment had been replaced by hunger, and he no longer cared about that for a moment. Youngjae pointed at the snack bar and grinned. “I’m gonna get us some popcorn.” And before the older one insisted on paying for both of them, the cutie ran to the snack bar and bought them the couple popcorn set (which included two Cokes, a big bag of popcorn, two free chocolate cookies and a toy). His sunbae didn’t need to know what the set was called.

When Mark Tuan saw the massive popcorn bag, his eyes opened slightly in shock. “Are you going to eat all of that?” he asked, the corner of his lips turning to a smile.

“Duh. Your gonna help me.” His sunbae didn’t protest at all, and instead helped him carrying the food.

Unfortunately for them, the room was packed of people. The only seats available were some in the very back of the theater next to some people. Youngjae made a face of dislike in the darkness because he really didn’t want to sit next to some strangers. There was no other option though, and he was about to take the seat when Mark Tuan sat next to the strangers before him. He gestured next to the empty seat next to him like there was nothing wrong with it, and he eventually sat quietly next to him.

Unlike his day dreams, they didn’t talk much during the movies. Mainly because they were in a room stacked of people and it’s rude to talk during the movies when there are other people around, but not only because of that. No…

But also because it was freaking cliché the way things were happening.

Youngjae had bought the couple popcorn set because he reasoned they could share it, and believe it or not, it was way cheaper than the rest of the combos they had. He had always been frugal with his money ever since his mother taught him the ways of saving money. Besides, he really wanted the free chocolate chip cookie. There was no other meaning or underlying message in buying the couple popcorn. God seemed to enjoy making it seem like it was the other way around.

Whenever the cutie was going to grab a mouthful of popcorn, his hand always, always accidentally brushed his sunbae’s hands and him being an idiot, always retreated his hand like it was burning on fire in embarrassment. From the corner of his eyes, he could see Mark Tuan smirking to himself as he calmly continued to watch the movie as if nothing happened. Seeing his sunbae cool and collected unnerved him, and he didn’t pay attention at all to the rest of the movie.

He continued to squirm in his seat uncomfortably, biting his lip anxiously and taking steady breaths to calm himself down. Youngjae knew he was overreacting because for God sake, they held hands before this. But maybe it was because the room was so small and crowded and just so hot that just sort of made him explode. And it was definitely worse when Mark Tuan did the classic arm move. He stretched his long limbs in the air and as he was going back to normal, he gently put his arm around Youngjae’s shoulder. His face leaned in closer to his ear, and when he spoke, the cutie could literally feel his hot breath, sending shivers all over his body. “Nervous?”

It was such a simple question and yet, it set his heart on fire, something it was used to doing ever since Mark Tuan came into his life. He had parted his lips to speak but his voice betrayed him and he couldn’t mutter a thing. Instead, he opted to shake his head and act like nothing was wrong, when in reality, he was all over the place.

For the rest of the movie, Mark Tuan didn’t move an inch to remove his hand from the cutie’s shoulders. Though past all the uncomfortable moments and the intense heat he felt, he grew to love having his arm around his shoulders. Just like when they held hands, when he was in his arms for a moment, it felt right. And Youngjae supposes that when something feels right, it’s meant to be that way. He isn’t a strong believer in God, but He must’ve intended for them to meet because honestly, he can’t seem to remember how exactly he lived up until that point. How was he able to stare from afar for so long and not do anything about his crush? Youngjae didn’t know.

When the movie was finally over, the people started to get up as the credits showed. The lights were finally on and the cutie could see his sunbae better than before. His face was closer for obvious reasons and he looked away instantly their eyes met. “Let’s go.” Mark Tuan said, getting up from his seat and offering once more the hand. Youngjae took his hand shyly, never once looking into his eyes and kept his eyes glued to the ground.

After the movie, his lovely sunbae lead him to a café that he often went to that was near the movie theater. The bell chimed when they opened the door to reveal two workers at the counter, cleaning up a bit. “Welcome!” both workers greeted warmly with a warm smile. While the older one ordered for them, the cutie looked around the café since it was his first time there. It was a small place that had a vintage feel to it with its painted walls covered with lyrics and drawings, and the wooden flooring and tables. It wasn’t crowed, much to Youngjae’s liking and they had opened up recently according to Mark Tuan.

Both males sat down near the window and neither of them spoke for a moment. Youngjae was still checking out the café while Mark Tuan contemplated over something in his mind. It was only when the order arrived that the cutie finally spoke. “It looks good!” he beamed at his delicious looking hot chocolate.

His sunbae chuckled as he watched the cutie drink it. “Be careful, it’s hot.”

“This is nothing.” Youngjae grinned and Mark Tuan noticed the little something he had near his mouth. He chooses not to say anything about it for now (partly because he looked adorable anyways).

“So we need to talk about something…” his sunbae starts and the cutie tilts his head slightly in curiosity.

“About what?”

“About… this.” Mark Tuan leans his face dangerously close to Youngjae’s, his heart caught in his throat, and their lips finally meet one another. Finally!

Mark Tuan tasted like the movie theater popcorn with a tad of hint of strawberry Chap Stick. It was a weird combination, Youngjae had to admit, and yet he found it all the ever so pleasant because his lips were so soft and plum against his own. This euphoria he felt at that moment could not be compared to all the other previous times he thought he had felt it. It couldn’t compare to the time when he was younger his parents got him his first and only cat (its name is Kuro). It certainly couldn’t come close to the time he got first place in the piano contest he had participated once during middle school. And it was nowhere close to the time he graduated from middle school to start a new beginning in his life. Nothing could ever to compare to the feeling that you’re crush finally noticed you after so long.

When they parted lips, they held each other’s gazes for a long time. For the first time, Youngjae notes, that Mark Tuan’s face looked flushed. The cutie grinned because now he could have his tiny pay back for all the other times his sunbae . “So what was it that you wanted to talk about exactly?” he smirked knowingly.

“Well…” his sunbae bit his lip for a moment before looking at him directly in the eyes again. “I liked you for a while now.”

Youngjae tried really hard to contain all of his embarrassment and excitement inside because Mark Tuan liked him for a while now. How long is that while?

“I noticed you every time you started to play the piano and at first, I was just curious.” He explained. “But after a while, I sort of wanted to get to know you more as I saw you around school. And, well, here I am now.”

It was only then the weight of his words finally dawned upon Youngjae. Goodness, the Mark Tuan, AKA, the hottest guy in the whole school campus, likes him. Is this real life or is this just fantasy?

“Do you wanna be my boyfriend?”

The cutie’s eyes glossed a little with all this excitement and shock, but he nodded slowly, firmer each time. “Yes…”

And just to seal it up, they kissed once more.

 

 


A/N: Finally finished it! ಥ‿ಥ Sorry for the long wait but with school and all, it's been hard trying to write ಥ‿ಥ The ending is pretty weak so I apologize for that

But, uh, I hope it was the wait?

[4/7/15] Just checking some grammar mistakes